MTG Eternal Masters Spoilers General

Talk about Eternal Masters (EMA) and every spoiler that pops up during the day.

>we might get a new format soon
What are your thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Eternal_(format)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Hymn
FoW at uncommon when?

1996, bro.

>>What are your thoughts?
I'm expecting something exploitative that will sell tons of product.

Unlikely to happen, ever. It's better to accept the reality that if a set has literally everything you will ever need for cheap, then you would be a Wizards customer once and never again. And they can't let that happen.

>Ashnod's Altar
Neat

Maybe Damnation'll get reprinted in Conspiracy 2

I am unimpressed with this set. I knew it was gonna be a cash grab for wotc but I didn't think it was going to get as retarded as this. But I already preorder so I guess I'll just suck it up.

#
Our shop had legacy twice a week. It basically fires every week. No proxies.

Modern doesn't fire at all, because everyone considers it a shit format here.

People already have the cards. And if they don't, they'll buy them because they are snobs who feel it is worth it. I had a guy use Jace Vryn'a Prodigy, a 50 dollar card as spirit tokens in a SOI draft. People with money exist.

There isn't a shortage of formats for people who don't want to spend too much more on cardboard.

You can always cancel. But you won't, because you are a gambling person who burns money.

I'm not really gambling I just wanted to get some neat little cards for my collection. I don't want FoW and already have two wasteland.

>set with a lot of sweet cards
>Criminally underprinted and overpriced

Could always get singles of the neat little cards that interest you

Wizards is going to make a bland ass ETERNAL format (legacy-reserved list) isn't it? We're getting pro-tour eternal and all that jazz aren't we?

>I had a guy use Jace Vryn'a Prodigy, a 50 dollar card as spirit tokens in a SOI draft
That's just showing off

I'm happy that you live in magical fucking happy perfect Christmas land but every other fucking game store in America is the fucking opposite where legacy doesn't fucking fire unless they allow proxies and modern fires every time and grows cosntantly because it's considerably cheaper you contrary assman

>Legends Karakas already down to 119 on Star City
>EMA Karakas at 79

Hot damn. I prefer the older art/flavor text but I dont' know if I can argue with 79 a pop.

It wouldn't be good. The only reason Legacy is considered good is inertia and snobbery. A new format wouldn't have those conceits.

I'm also doing this in part to draft with friends. I'm just really unimpressed with spoiled cards so far. It can change.

Conspiracy 2 in August, if EM ends up looking mediocre all-in-all you could wait and see how Conspiracy looks

>only cards you really want or need are foil versions of the chase-ass chasiest cards in the set, FoW and Mana Crypt
>didn't preorder

Still a shitload of the set remains unknown, so I don't know yet if preordering and selling off the money cards to afford those two wallet murderers would've been worthwhile or not.

What the heck do you need a Karakas for

Exactly. It was about 300 dollars worth of cardboard being used for a job a penny could do. This is a huge portion of the MTG audience.

I can try that, conspiracy 2 is probably gonna be a whole lot cheaper than ema I imagine.

Death and Taxes?

How about Death and Taxes and almost every sideboard vs Reanimator/SnT ever?

>This is a huge portion of the MTG audience.
100% incorrect. So stupid it hurts to read. According to wotc ~75% of their audience never leaves the kitchen table and will never attend a sanctioned event in their mtg career.

Carry on

You are going to have me believe that MTG game stores aren't primarily places for autistic, snobby man-child bachelors? People in their thirties with no children or wives to spend money on, who feel as though owning expensive cards makes you a better human being?

I don't know if I can buy that. My friend bought a fucking Timetwister for EDH, a casual format.

>What the heck do you need a Karakas for
Anti SnT Reanimator
Vendilion shenanigans
Thalia protection
Karakas is very powerful

Daily reminder that "Eternal format" means Vintage and Legacy on Magic terms.

Oh? You are concerned about those people not getting into Legacy? Well, sorry, let me call up the local Target and see if we can arrange them to stock EMA so 14 year olds can smuggle it under a jacket.

Casuals matter. I know this as much as anyone, but to say Legacy is gonna die because it is too expensive is ridiculous, seeing as there is no shortage of degenerates out there.

If Legacy is too expensive for you, well done, you are smarter with money than most and have a billion other formats you can play. If it isn't, then great, let's get on eBay to order your play set of Chains of Mephistopheles (I don't even know if they run 4).

Karakas also poops on dark depths. I plan on putting one in my legacy elves sb. Losing to turn 2 marit lage sucks all the dicks.

>thoughts?
Skeptical, but I would be interested if they introduce a new format that isn't simply a ban list based on print date. A new set of play rules like commander zones or 30-card decks would be cool if it's not terribly unbalanced.

I've been loving it in Chaos Elves, makes Sneak and Show winnable. I've cut two Cradles and replaced them with two more Crop Rotation (3 total now) just because without Order it's not incredibly good in the opener. Having effectively 4 copies of any one-of land is absurd. I run a Pendelhaven main and Karakas side, thinking about a Wasteland side as well.

There is no better feeling than an opponent using two Jitte -1/-1 activations on a Nettle Sentinel and responding to the second with Crop Rotation for Pendelhaven. They never see it coming.

To be fair the odds of having your Karakas not get Wasted vs Lands are infinitesimal.

Are Modern and Pauper not eternal formats?

So, this is Red Elemental Blast?
Like, could I use 4 of this and Red Elemental Blast on the side?

To be an Eternal format, one must have access to every card printed, restricted only by a banlist (every card must be allowed in the format by default, action must be taken to remove it).

Modern is nonrotating but it is not Eternal because cards printed before 8th edition or in supplemental sets cannot be used.

Pauper is nonrotating but it is not Eternal because I cannot play, for example, Shardless Agent, even though Shardless Agent is not banned: it is simply outside of the definition of the format.

It's a reprint of a 21-year-old card, user. The entire set is reprints.

One is functional reprint of the other. I forgot the chronology.

Yep. The two do the exact same thing, same with Hydro and BEB.

you can cast pyroblast on nonblue spells/permanents if you need a prowess trigger or something. that's the only difference
yes, you could indeed run 4 pyroblast and 4 REB in the side. seems like a bit much but whatever lights your fire

Wording, huh?

Neat

They actually have one functional difference. Pyro can target anything, meaning you can cast it whenever. Red blast can only target things it will destroy/counter.

I think you're wrong about this one.
Pauper is a Eternal Format, because it enables access to every card printed and restricted only by a banlist that also includes every card not printed at common at least once.
Modern has time barrier, not a normal ban list. That's why Pauper is Eternal and non-rotating and Modern is non-Eternal and non-Rotating.

IIRC Pyroblast is kind of better because you can target a non-blue permanent for utility purposes (Heroic triggers/Death's Wail)

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Eternal_(format)

Yeah, I know it's way too much. It was about the case of effectively being the same card or not. Thanks.

Its a plains with upside. No real reason not to have at least one in any deck with W.

Holy shit, its fallen that much? Guess I better get used to DnT and the mirror then.

Pauper and Commander would be Eternal formats if they had DCI sanctioned tournaments. But, they don't.

whelp muh dick, thats all i was missing for legacy DnT
time to go stock up.

It's also stopped by Spellskite/target change spells though.

>Call The Skybreaker
why

why

Because people are going to buy it in scores anyway.

Maybe UR's theme is rituals and storm?

Maybe they'll print Mind's Desire or Isochron Scepter at uncommon so we can actually cast Skybreaker!

>Isochron Scepter
>uncommon

A good, cheap artifact, NOT getting pushed up a rarity? What are you smoking?

Wait, Isochron Scepter always costs 2 so a Dark Rit on it would suck and Seething Song can't be imprinted...

What does Skybreaker have to do with Isochron Scepter? You realise you can't imprint it, right?

Cabal ritual

I'm completely bewildered. I don't know how it makes sense from any perspective, including limited archetypes. If it is that important to one, they should've downshifted it like they did with Work Harvest.

At rare also.
I sure cant wait to crack a Disk, Rorix Bladewing, or Skybreaker from my 15 dollar pack.

>Red Elemental Blast
>Whatever lights your fire

Well it didn't get pushed up for the multiple reprintings it's had, so there's that.

Really?

Making you enjoy your product less after you've already paid for it doesn't accomplish anything financially.

Uh, it has never been reprinted in a set.

Only in FTV and a duel deck, where rarity means nothing.

I'm convinced half of WoTC has a bunch of money invested in the secondary market.

So who heard about the new format? Who's ready for No reserved list legacy?

1000 hours in mspaint

Followed shortly by bans on Price, Wasteland, Port, Fireblast and a whole bunch of other stuff.

>new format otw
so then i should just hold off selling my non-legacy cards, which i just spent all day sorting, counting and boxing up?

Price might be reasonable. Wasteland no way. Especially not if they allow Force in. Especially not after they're printing it so high profile like this.

Waste would basically force fair three color decks out of this new hypothetical format.

I mean, they did ban twin right after it was reprinted too.

>print counterspell, daze and force
>ban burn and death & taxes

eldrazi stompy it is, then.

Someone use this as the next thread OP

I think burn and shocks do a better job of that than wasteland. Wasteland is an important 'pressure valve' in legacy. And if it goes away people just start jamming blood moon like crazy.

>>we might get a new format soon
Is that the meme? New format of what?

I'm mostly being hyperbolic, but forcing your opponent to get a shock and have it enter untapped unless they want it destroyed is often an additional turn or two faster on the clock.

I might actually do some testing on this.

>Cutting cradles
Nigger what are you doing. Chaos elves players are all crazy. NO 4 Lyfe

Like all sets. Look at the Rare's only (not mythic) and see what the majority of cards I'll/you'll be pulling in are. Not looking great so far, most rare slots are 1-5 dollar cards...

Not that I'm not excited for some shardless agents or tops, but gotta remind myself that it's more likely a playset of duel caster mages and bladewings...

This set will heard a drop in prices for some sought after cards which is nice.

We agree mm1 is a good set yes? mm1 had 22-25 above $10 rares. Currently we're at what, 13-14 for ema? For comparison, mm2 had only 7 or something dumb

Tested and liked it, Lands, Storm and MUD have it much harder, but Pod, WU Tron, Affinity, Scapeshift, Rack, UB Mill, Jund, Maelstrom Cascade and Twin become playable decks, Burn, Merfolk and Goblins become competitive but are not opressive and are the worst match of Delver variants who become the deck to beat along Miracles.

>mfw boxes here are $500 (if any store decides not to just open all their stock and sell singles)
Hnnnnnnnnnggggggggggh

Where's Eldrazi?

That's why you had modern masters 1 selling for double msrp

What format did you test? No Reserved List Legacy? Also describe what you mean by "test".

Phil foglio art is almost always hideous but Kaja foglio's stuff is some of the all time best

so with his -6, you only gain control of the permanent if cast a spell that targets it? If you send it to the graveyard you don't get it correct?

Getting devastated by Dredge.
No RL Legacy, A.K.A. Heritage/Eternal.
We've held 3 tournaments with 45, 43 and 62 people each, proxies allowed because it's not a real format and to gather as many people as possible.
First one top 8 was:
>Manaless Dredge
>Sneak & Show
>Burn - D&T
>Miracles - Jund - UW Permission Tron - Twin
Second was
>Affinity
>Miracles
>Pox Rack - Burn
>Pod - Merfolk - Grixis Delver - Sneak & Show
Third was
>Miracles
>Grixis Delver
>Burn - 4c Kiki Pod
>Shardless BUG - Canadian Thres. - Pox Rack - Abzan Deathbade

Most played decks so far are Abzan Deathblade, Burn and UR Delver. Lands is dead, MUD evolved into MB Tron/UW Tron but Eldrazi do the "play prison artifacts and stupid big shit" better. Nobody has showed up with Enchantress or Storm though I believe Storm can still win without LED.

Yes.

profit

While this is a very, very small sample, that looks okay. Surprised to not see more powerful Legacy decks like Shardless.

How was Price of Progress lol

>Abzan Deathblade

THE RETURN

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

WHAT HAVE YOU DOOOOOOOONE

I knew soon as i finished getting my playset of foil fnl chain lightnings they would reprint them, dammit

ur doin it wrong here let me hlep u

No, like this.

Gold

another rare.

I just realized how similar it is to Reality Smasher.

Shame it has that 1 toughness.