Varuna Base Quest #2

youtube.com/watch?v=-EOg5LI3v4Q

Fumbling with getting the door into the Main Mining Lobby to work, sorry, voices.

While I do that, let's get to know each other at least. My memory is starting to come together now after waking up in a submarine and almost getting killed by a maneating octopus. How are you all?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh, so when I need actual company from my auditory hallucinations, you all are quiet as can be but when I don't need you guys, you all come crawling out of the woodwork.

That's just great. At least Secord over the radio would be nicer and I don't even know what he looks like.

I'm here, but sadly I have to leave town for a few days. And I leave in an hour.

huh, what? sorry didn't realize you were done talking.

well, how did you get assigned to this gig? and what is the deal with the sea life here?

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?

I'm sorry, voice-that's-leaving-my-brain. The lack of coffee is getting to my nerves. You have fun.

I'm an Engineer, Stillwater is -or was- my security detail. We run an Auxiliary Sub for the Fleet, we do repair work, cargo hauling occasionally, salvage, maybe we get pulled into some xenoarchaeology or something. The works.

As for the sea life, this is a different planet. Meropis isn't exactly the Colony Station I grew up on, and it certainly isn't Earth. To be frank, I barely know most of the sea life here, most of my time is spent on the SCV-R Holland.

Coffee flavor.

Or chocolate, I like chocolate I guess.

Is there anything that you like about this place and this job?

>lack of coffee
I know your pain.

I like the work, I like fumbling with wires and building things occasionally. Sometimes I get to dive and do salvage.

I don't like that my superiors refuse to invest in drones or new workers and thus keep me overworked. Then again, that's not particularly the reason I'm addicted to caffeine and coffee.

As for this place eh... I bet it was nice before things went to utter shit.

Wait, I got the door open, yes! Haha!

... oh.

Okay, this is a problem. If it's flooded in here, the emergency bulkhead to Security is going to be shut. And I can't unlock that bulkhead with just a regular miner's keycard.

And those bulkheads are very, very thick.

Hm, where should I go? What should I do?

Where do the other doors lead?

What's that circle-y thing on the ceiling, and why is there a big hole in the floor?

Oh, and do you have object that can produce light? Do you have a mutation that enables you to pulse hypnotically with bioluminescent glowstick arms?

Time to check doors methinks.

The door you see to the center is the lift door, which will work since it's powered by hydraulically. The other door probably leads into the Miner's lockerroom.

That's the central camera. Secord can track me using that.

The big hole in the floor is the Mine Shaft downwards into... wherever they were mining.

Also, I actually don't have anything that can produce light on me at the moment. In fact, my harness is basically full. I might need to dump something soon.

And ew, no. Glowstick arms? Fuck are you talking about?

Yeah, you're right. Which one do you think, the bulkhead, the elevator, or the locker?

Locker. Would you trust an elevator considering the condition of this place?

>And ew, no. Glowstick arms? Fuck are you talking about?
You know, bioluminescent cells in your skin. Either you absorb ambient light then emit it over time later on, or you burn glucose in respiration and use the energy byproduct to glow. We didn't really have much time to have some heart-to-heart conversation, so I thought I may as well ask if you were any more unique than usual, what with your literal jade spheres and head embers.

Also, seconding .

Lockers. May be useful things in there.

Listen, I'm special, but I'm not that special. Besides, glowing cells or whatever you're saying are kind of a teenager thing. I'm 20.

And don't make fun of me for being small for 20, I get a lot of jokes about that. I don't need my own voices mocking me for being small. I hate being small. I HATE IT.

Alright, voices, whatever you say. Lockerroom it is. I walk over to the lockerroom and give the console next to it a swipe of Stafford's keycard. It slides open.

Um.

Uh.

H- he doesn't look very happy.

D-... do something. DO SOMETHING.

HUG IT

Give him a face full of darts!

Utilise ANGRY FACE and ACTUAL ANGER to unleash your inner dragon.

No, seriously, it's cute. Can't you adopt it as a pet or something?

>[x] Pet monster

I think democracy is winning here. And I didn't even double post!

Bet you didn't expect it to go in this direction, now, did you?!

I'M OUT OF DARTS, WE USED THEM ALL ON THE OCTOPUS

STOP NO NO IT'S COMING CLOSER

GODDAMN IT VOICES YOU BETRAYED ME, I'LL NEVER TRUST YOU AGAIN

AAAAAAHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

It just wants to sniff you. It's curious.

Open your eyes. Blink freely. Breath freely. It gives the animal the sense that you're at ease, and therefore not a threat. Don't appear scared, or it'll probably mimic that emotion. Don't appear aggressive, or... y'know. Just feel at ease.

Move your hand slowly and, assuming it doesn't back away or get agitated, gently brush down its fur. Smile.

It takes a very curious sniff. He might be smelling the octopus goop in my thermos, or the coffee in my other thermos.

oh shit oh shit oh shit please please please

Don't smile! At least don't show teeth! Teeth are a sign of aggression in most animals!

It suddenly decides to take an interest in that Audio Log on the ground. The flashing light must have caught his attention.

Okay, okay. Just gotta stay calm. No sudden movements.

I REALLY NEED COFFEE RIGHT NOW

VOICES, THIS IS YOUR CUE TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO

Good point. Thanks.

Sit on the bench and catch your breath. It may help to remove most of the goop, and tighten your thermos just in case. It's more important that you're alive, unharmed, calm, and focused than whatever requires you to run around. The seal thing clearly isn't that scared of you, so it won't attack you, and it also clearly has no reason to eat you (assuming they DO eat people, which is unlikely).

They're called raft otters? They look cute. What's the spiney things on its back?

Move past the Raft Otter carefully. If its not interested in you, check out Ramerez's locker.

Check out RAMIREZ's locker, are those claw-marks?

>[x] Pet monster

Have you looked if any of the lockers have some sort of opening mechanism?
If they do try every keycard, key, and whatelse in your inventory to open them.
Seriously have some common sense.

Hey, she's stressed. Give her time to calm down.

Seriously, though. We need a plucky but loyal animal companion.

Oh also, pet the thing.
It's a she? Huh. It would help if we had some recollection of what happened before. Open your memories to us.

Well, besides the fact her submarine is on fire, there's a spooky monster in the sea, the base is flooded, everyone is dead except a mysterious person we're forced to trust via Morse code, there's a gloopy octopus monster, a 'swam' of something, she has every right to be stressed.

Oh, and not to mention the fact she just got rather intimate with a raft otter, who thankfully has non-aggressive intents. Of course she's stressed.

But yeah, if we could have some exposition that'd be greaaaat.

But not as great as a raft otter pet. It looks very huggable.

Her submarine? She has a submarine?
How'd she get from the submarine to the base?

Very carefully.

where we started this quest. coffeeless and alone.

Look, it's just a water cat.

Were you here for the first thread? I'll find the 4plebs in the moment.

"wet cat" are not the words I use to describe cuddly.

thanks.

You've clearly never handled an Earth otter before. Those things are feisty, but no less huggable.

Think about snakes. Snakes are hard (so much muscle), thin, and lacking any real handholds. Doesn't make them any less cuddly.

Also, most aquatic animals that live out of water as well have fur that loses water very easily, as otherwise they'd be bogged down with weight (both whilst swimming and on land), and also to stop them from losing control of their body heat. Given this otter is in here, I assume it's been out of water for some time now.

Adorable!

Fine, I'll do it. Reluctantly.

Let me recap you, voice that apparently wasn't here for everything that happened a little while ago.

Me and my co-worker Stillwater were sent to Varuna Base to investigate and possibly salvage anything useful after SCV-R Holland lost contact with it six months ago. We were attacked by Skirmisher Crabs that filled our subs with darts that caused numerous hull breaches and set the engine on fire, which means the sub is useless.

Now, it's like the other voices say, I'm forced to rely on Secord who can only talk in Morse code. I was almost killed by one of those Octopus things, and now I'm having to find my way through Mining to get to Security where Secord is.

Fun day.

-

Also, upon trying the lock, the cabinet actually opens. Inside is a rebreather mask with built in oxygen cells, super light-weight, probably for emergencies.

I can't carry it with me now though since my inventory is full, not unless you want me to put it on, it's not exactly something I can see out of very well.

Raft Otters here on Meropis are... well, I and most people I know don't know much about them. They're carnivorous for sure, they actually prey on some of the octopus I've seen.

However, we call them raft otters because they build rafts out of big fish carcasses. We're not sure why, they just do.

Also, the spines are rumored to be poisonous. I'm not interested in finding out.

-

Well, that's it mostly. What do you want to do no- ah fuck, he's looking at me.

Why the fuck do you fags have a quest here when you have your own quest board?

Okay, that's more reason to remove the octopus goop. I would advise against being stabbed by the spines, yes, though as long as you stroke DOWNWARDS you won't be hurt (like a shark!).

>they build rafts out of big fish carcasses
Metal. Even more reason to have one as a companion.

>he's looking at me
Step back, slowly, from the locker, and sit on the bench. Same advice as before about remaining calm.

Ehhhhh...what's in your inventory then?

what's our current inventory?

Du huckel.

lead it to octopus corpse.

It's looking at you because you've moved. Think about spiders. If it stays in the corner, you don't care (even if you're tense because of it). When you've got one of those floor runners, you're STARING AT IT TO DEATH because you don't want it going near you.

Same here. You're clearly not a threat, but you're doing something, so Ottington McRaftstein is interested again. Its eyes aren't narrowed in aggression, so don't be too afraid.

here. Also seconding . Make clicking noises or something to attract its attention once the door's open. Remember to move slowly!

Current inventory consists of:

> Rivet Gun: Feels half full, fired two shots
> Thermos: Very little coffee in it left
> Thermos: Full of Octopus Goop
> Radio: For contacting Secord
> K. Stafford Keycard: Accesses any place Stafford can
> Crowbar: For crowbar things
> Lindhelm Air Rifle Barrel: Can double as a short range blow gun if I find more darts

That's about it.

Look, I understand if you guys think it looks cute, but right now I'm fucking terrified that it's going to eat me. It's sniffing out the thermos with the goop right now!

open the thermos and put in on the bench.

Alas, I must go. Good luck all!

Open thermos. Let it sniff it, then pour it on the floor slowly. If you give it food, it'll be happier to spend time around you, and won't be as aggressive. Not only do you get to be calm, but us voices get to see your future unfold correctly!

Did you dock at the base with the submarine? Where's stillwater?

valid question.

These things eat octopuses and you have octopus goop on you.
Feed him!

It's confused because it sees you as a not-octopus, but smells octopus. Remove octopus from you and you'll just be non-octopus.

> Open thermos.
>Offer half of the contents.
> Begin leading toward octopus.
> If it gets aggressive, throw thermos toward octopus and move slowly in the other direction.

>[x] Pet
>[x] Otter

... via giving it octopus goop treat, you mean.

Alright, fine I'll feed it for now. I'll put the thermos with the goop here and unscrew the lid for the little monster, then pick up the rebreather mask.

> ITEM ACQUIRED: Rebreather Mask
> Good for 24 hours of continuous use.

Right, right. The little monster's attention is away from you now.

Suddenly, your radio vibrates. Secord.

... --- .-. .-. -.-- .-.-.- / -.-. .- -. .----. - / --- .--. . -. / -... ..- .-.. -.- .... . .- -.. / ..-. .-. --- -- / -- -.-- / . -. -.. .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- / -. . . -.. / -.-. .... .. . ..-. / -- .. -. . .-. .----. ... / -.- . -.-- -.-. .- .-. -.. .-.-.- / .... . / .-- . -. - / .. -. / - --- / -- .. -. . / ... .... .- ..-. - / - --- / .... . .-.. .--. / --- - .... . .-. ... / -.. ..- .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .- ...- . / .. -. / ..-. .. ...- . / -- --- -. - .... ... / .- --. --- .-.-.- / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / ... . . -. / .... .. -- / ... .. -. -.-. . .-.-.- / ... .-- .- .-. -- ..-. .. ... .... / .- .-. . / -.. --- -. . .-.-.- / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-. . -.-. --- -- -- . -. -.. / ..-. .. -. -.. .. -. --. / .- / .-- . .- .--. --- -. .-.-.- / -- .. --. .... - / ..-. .. -. -.. / --- -. . / .. -. / .... .. ... / --- ..-. ..-. .. -.-. . .-.-.-

Great, what's the good word, voices?

>SORRY. CAN'T OPEN BULKHEAD FROM MY END. YOU NEED CHIEF MINER'S KEYCARD. HE WENT IN TO MINE SHAFT TO HELP OTHERS DURING CAVE IN FIVE MONTHS AGO. HAVE NOT SEEN HIM SINCE. SWARMFISH ARE DONE. WOULD RECOMMEND FINDING A WEAPON. MIGHT FIND ONE IN HIS OFFICE.

Are you sure that you unscrewed the lid? It looks pretty much like it's still on.

That you should get back to your containment board.

Office, huh...well, do you know where the chief miner's office is?

See, user, the thing is that's not 'good' word at all. Please improve your reading comprehension next time.

Looks like we're gonna have to go down. Can we open the other lockers? Recognise any names on them?

Stafford's is the only one I recognize. Lemme open it up.

The locker beeps.

> ERROR: NO EXOSUIT AVAILABLE.

The bottom cabinet opens. It's only personal effects, a book, a picture of...

Oh. His family.

Yikes.

You look over at the audio log. Hm. You pick it up.

It must be that other door. I'll check it out now.

Yes I did. Don't be so pedantic.

Because if you build rafts on an ocean world, you can stay above water. Raft otters appear to be mammals (especially by name), so they need gaseous oxygen to survive, as opposed to aqueous oxygen (as fish do). Moreover, if you're above water, you're safer. No big fish can see you up there. It also gives you a platform in which to store things for later, in case you get hungry.

They can dive deep by holding breath and swimming, I guess. I don't really know how deep 'deep' is, but quite a few aquatic mammals can dive deep, such as sperm whales. Even if it's not that sort of animal, seals can go quite far down, and they're pretty similar in anatomy.

They could do the penguin thing and hold air in their fur.

But I guess I'm over-analysing this loading screen. It's fun whilst we wait.

GS, you better give us Ottington McRaftstein as a companion. Fanservice is required for any serial media to survive.

Whilst you wait, you can ask more questions while I finish doing the thing I should've done days ago.

It's the true word. You have had your golden piss age on Veeky Forums, time for you to reside in the cancer ward.

>Ottington
pls

I'm actually gonna go to sleep, sorry! Solve the rest, anons.

Hey, Ottington is a great name. It just rolls off the tongue easier than 'otterington', which sounds quite silly. We could just call him (her?) Water Cat or something similar.

What's protagonist's name?

I honestly forgot to give her a name when making this Quest. But I alternate between Anne as a shoutout to Trespasser or Celia or Dora (shortened from Eudora). Choose whichever you'd like.

Do you want more fanart of the raft otter?

I'd go with Eudora. Failing that, Cecilia.

I appreciate fanart of all types, especially of cute otters doing cute things.

No, see, what they probably do is build rafts that they can fill with gaseous oxygen then drag it down into the depths with them by adding ballast, maybe using it to refill an oxygen rich den underwater.

Ugh, it followed me inside.

Alright, so this is the Chief Miner's Office.

Cleaner than I thought it'd be if I'm honest. Nice speargun though. Three spears. Definitely usable if I drop some weight.

You get that gun whatever you do!
Then...check his locker. Carefully.

well without more darts the dart gun tube is useless, so drop that here, and if we really need the goo thermos we could come back for it but leave it for now.

Don't drop your weapons. You'll probably need them later. Instead, try to see if the man has anything useful in his office, like a diver's backpack. If anything has to go, drop the dart thrower.

Yay, it's got a beard!

Drop metal pole, I guess, for a spear. The crowbar can be used for blunt force. What's written on the paper? Take a quick scan.

Search desk for snack cakes and instant coffee. Share with Raftenstein.

Check the desk for interesting stuff like food and coffee flattie

I pick up the Speargun

> WEAPON ACQUIRED: Gaston Arms Spear Rifle + 3 Electric Spears

For now, I guess I'll leave the Lindhelm Rifle barrel on the desk. I get the feeling I won't have this Speargun long anyway.

Searching around, the locker is depowered, and poking into the cabinet I find nothing except personal effects. Spalding has a photo of his kid back on the Colony Station, couldn't be more than 6 by the looks of him. A couple of drawings from his kid too.

Hm. Yikes.

Searching around the desk, I do spy the papers.

The first one reads:

> Writing this down on paper so the AI can't see. The defense field around the base failed for no reason. I suspect the AI that got moved in last week did it. DO NOT TRUST THE AI. Have to inform the other miners too. Have to tell Chief Harding as well. Can't tell Newkirk, she's crazy.

The second one reads:

> Things have gone to shit. The bulkhead into Sub Bay 3 is down and won't come back up. I'm down two suits for Loby and Stafford. The other miners tried to dig their way out and come into the bay from the outside, but got caught in a cave in. Worse still, the Swarmfish have moved in through the breach caused by the cave-in.

> I have to help them. I'm taking most of the mining explosives to try and blow a hole through. If anyone finds this and I'm not around, please tell my wife and son I love them.

... yikes.

You search through his desk, and do indeed find a Ration Pack. Oooh, snack cake. Strawberry flavor and-

Hey, little monster. It sniffs me. Ugh... I am pretty hungry.

Uh... question. Is Secord an AI?

Eat the ration pack. Crack the snack cake in half and give half to Ottington McRaftstein?

Back off slowly away from the cute sea otter monster

It's hungry. Stop being so mean to our future love interest friend.

lead otter to octopus corpse. eat food.

Give him half the snack cake for now. That should satiate him and you long enough for you to lead him over to the octopus. Then he'll have ample food and so will you, for the moment anyway.

please go to /qst/

>inb4 octopus has glooped away so it can return as a recurring villain

Now there's an idea. I toss a bit of the snack cake over to him, and he immediately whips it up into his mouth and chews down on it. He lies low to the ground, looking up at me.

Alrighty then, that got his attention.

Let's see...

A quick clicking noise with your tongue and begin walking him toward the octopus. Giving him some of the octogoop to keep him interested as you walk him to food you don't want to eat.