Worth it?

Are physical bitcoin wallets really worth getting? They might not be hacked. But they could be lost/stolen/burned down?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538?hl=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, everyone should have a hardware wallet. It is only a matter of time before your funds get hacked without one.

You can destroy your hardware wallet and still keep access to your funds so long as you have written down your security words. You would just buy a new ledger and input your words.

What if the company goes under and you can't buy another one?

If you have >$1000 in crypto you'd be retarded not to buy one

Seems like it makes it easier for the feds to take my bitcoins. Paper wallet is the best option.

yeah, good luck getting hacked

your seed words can open your wallet from any other hardware wallet. so you can use a trezor if you had a ledger, etc.

What if I just have my private keys on a external HDD that is not connected to the Internet or a PC?

They all use common seed phrase to private key generation algorithms, so you can generate your keys in software if you wrote down your seed.

Yeah I'm thinking of just doing this.

Then what about when you need to make a transaction

Consider a small SSD, HDD tend to be more vulnerable. But then again, if you'll keep multiple copies of keys there won'tbe a problem.

You can, but you also have to sign the transactions on a clean offline computer. Also HDD can get corrupted.

how can you hack a paperwallet?

same fucking thing just less aesthetic

The only time I think I'll connect is to cash out. I'm just in this for fun, and to see how it goes. Just 0.1098 in the game.

How do you get your money off a ledger? Or off a paper wallet?

>They might not be hacked.

What exactly makes you assume this?

Cool. So the hardware wallet is really only necessary if you want to keep a hot wallet for trading? Thank you!

Ssd will lose its memory after a few years of disuse depending on temperature.

You'll get hacked when you enter the private key into your compromised PC, brainlet.

No user

The chad way is to keep your whole 10btc on an exchange always ready to make massive gains.

If you are brainlet and don't know how computers and software works then yeah.

This, keep everything on trade

you're an idiot if you don't and risk the entire currency, the more people that use and have these, the more resistant it is to runs and shit when exchanges get hacked or raided or other shit happens

hardware wallets are for brainlets that don't understand how technology works.

What desktop wallet program do you guys use?

Airgap computer is just as good, but you need an online and offline computer. Boot an old laptop or something from a flash drive.
Then another flashdrive for an online crypto only computer. Use keepass to store keys.

Better than ledger imo, but each has upsides and downsides

What's downside of Ledger?

>not keeping your private keys on myspace in a message to yourself

Plebs.

by
>online crypto only
That's not for interacting with the airgapped computer. Just less hardened pc for dealing with smaller sums of money or wallets that can't yet be easily airgapped (cough iota).

Your real "online" computer can interact with the airgapped one.

>not keeping your paper wallet on google drive
Good luck hacking Google.

I'd rather spend that sweet dosh on some bitcoin

It doesn't support every coin. I imagine dealing with the private keys after all these forks is difficult as well.

yes you'd be an idiot not to get one, it helps the currency with more people using this because it acts as a buffer and hedge against any of the exchanges crashing, hacked, or raided

also use google authenticator for every exchange you use as a two step security measure

then get a backup of your google authenticator in case you lose your phone. this link shows you how to setup your backup of google authenticator codes.

support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538?hl=en

the return on investment by investing in your security is not even a question if you plan on putting in any amount of serious money in

youll thank me later if you listen to my advice, you can even save my BTC address for donations if my advice helps you in the future:

thank you.

why not just linux or some other shit?

yea its worth it for sure. you get a "seed key" which is basically a series of words that allow you to restore your wallet onto any other hardware wallet, so you make a copy of that seed key and keep it separate from the wallet (so like in a safety deposit box, or at your moms or grandmas house or something) and then if the hardware wallet was destroyed or stolen you just buy a new one and use the seed key to restore your data.

If you're trading/holding crypto worth more than ~$1000+ I'd say it's definitely worth buying a hardware wallet.

just use a vm

hardware wallets are for brainlets

I have one and tbqh I don't use it at all. I've used it as a wallet and for 2FA, but that got too annoying.

I just bought a Ledger, but honestly, I think I might not even use it.

Right now I'm signing transactions offline and then moving them to online PC with USB key. Don't have to worry about my online machine being infected and fucking with the Ledger.

There is literally no downside to a HW wallet. You can take it anywhere with you and sign a transactions in few seconds.

this, as use becomes more ubiquitous it pays to invest early in knowing to do transactions and trading with this new tech and hardware

you can even charge people a fee to set it up from them and take a cut of their first btc purchases (1.5%-2%)

if it is going where i think it's going it wouldn't be a bad gig.

that's like buying a kettle, but instead boiling water in a microwave

Good idea. I spent some time thinking how to sell my crypto knowledge to normies.

Right, sure, having your private key on paper out in the fucking open is so much harder for the feds to take than a hardware wallet they will 100% certainly not even be able to get into...

But the point is to hide the paper version somewhere once it's filled enough.

>have paper wallet with the real money hidden somewhere
>fake hw wallet filled with dogecoin the feds will find instanteniously and spend eternity getting into

kek, you'll be sorry once Dogecoin reaches $100

And if they get into it they'll feel so sorry for you they'll leave you be.

You're going to have to put your hardware passphrase on paper anyway. I sure as fuck wouldn't trust the entire contents of my wallet on nothing more than my memory

Anyone who doesn't own one is an absolute retard (unless you use secure paper wallet).
I started off investing in crypto with $300 and by the time I made $300 profit I bought one. It's basically free when you compare it to the gains you can make with crypto and not having to think about safety is such a relief

>burned down

wat

You can obfuscate the passphrase so that no one will even figure out that it's a passphrase

Use a secure OS.
Install linux and backup your [[[Encrypted]]] wallet file offline as well.

Do not make transactions on windows. Too much fucking malware.

>paying multiple times to move your money around
Lol good luck with your wallets fags

I put my key in Google drive. How fucked am I?

not only this -
but also in a trezor you can have another passphrase that becomes the 25th word of the seed, so even if someone got your trezor, your pin, and your 24 word seed, they STILL can't get your shit.

I don't see the advantage of a hardware wallet. Just use an app on your fucking phone for free.

For cold storage just put it on paper or flash drive or both. I'm glad hardware wallets exist, but for normalfag bitcoin users they're pretty useless.

Input the private key to a hot wallet and spend.

Electrum. Lots of people use Exodus, but I don't trust it for w/e reason.

So could your computer so what's your point?

Absolutely brilliant tbqf

Definitely worth it

Are all the security words different order? I got 24 security word. But will others have that combination as well?