Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-wg-tokens-modern
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&type= ["Creature"]&color= [B]&cmc= <[3]
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=false&multiverseid=1563
magiccards.info/scans/en/ts/278.jpg
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-08-14-modern-turbofog/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where can I get fakes for $1-2 a card? They don't need to be great, but I want to start Vintage and just use proxies for now, and I've never liked making my own. Please don't let this start another thread derail, I just want a link to cheap fakes.

How are tiers decided, anyway?

>WE
>WUZ
>MAGES
>N
>SHEEEETTT!

Anyway, sorry for all the shitposting. I talked to a friend of mine who loves Legacy about it and his perspective helped me understand a lot.

Do modern fakes only come in the staples?

Say I wanted goryos or something

Understanding Tiers

Modern Nexus metagame stats are prevalence-based numbers reflecting how frequently a deck appears in tournament Top 8s, Top 16s, and Day 2s (as well as MTGO finishers). It does not consider a deck’s Match Win Percentage (MWP) or other “performance-based” metrics. A deck can be an excellent strategy and a strong metagame choice regardless of its tier, although there is certainly a correlation between frequently played decks and high-performing decks.
Sources

Data for each tab is taken from the following sources, broken down by tab:

Metagame – MTGO: All 4-0 and 3-1 decks from all published MTGO dailies on the Wizards website. Includes 5-0 finishes in published Leagues and all published finishes from Premiers, PTQs, etc.
Metagame – Paper: All T8 and T16 events for all paper tournaments, regardless of size, drawn from a range of metagame websites.
Metagame – Major Paper T8: All T8 and T16 finishes from Modern Pro Tour, Grand Prix, and SCG Open events.
Metagame – Major Paper Day 2: All Day 2 metagame statistics for Modern Pro Tour, Grand Prix, and SCG Open events.

1/3

Tier Calculations

Tournament finishes for all decks in the format are tracked in the spreadsheet above. All decks receive 0-3 points in four separate categories, and then receive a total score based on the sum of their points. The decks with the highest points are considered Tier 1. Decks with slightly less points, but still passing a certain dynamic cutoff, are considered Tier 2. Finally, decks in the lowest cutoff bracket are considered Tier 3.

Points are awarded in each category based on a 95% confidence interval for average prevalences and how far outside of that confidence interval a deck’s prevalence falls. This gives us a statistically supported way of determining whether a deck is overperforming or underperforming, in a way that is transparent to all users and more “objective” than just grading decks based on personal preference. As an added bonus, the cutoffs are dynamic based on the current metagame, instead of semi-arbitrary cutoffs that are relics of older metagames no longer applicable today. So in one update, the 95% confidence interval for average prevalence on MTGO might be .95%-1.05%, with a standard deviation of 1.5%. But in another update, that interval might be 1%-1.5% and the standard deviation could be 2%. This higher variance metagame would naturally have different cutoffs than the lower variance one.

Finally, after all decks have been awarded a point total, we take the average of that point total and then set a Tier 1 cutoff at two standard deviations over that average total. Any deck with points that exceed that cutoff is considered Tier 1. Any deck that does not quite meet the Tier 1 cutoff but still meets the dynamic Tier 2 cutoff (typically 1-2 points) is then considered Tier 2. Any deck that has greater than 0 points but less than the Tier 2 cutoff qualifies as Tier 3.

2/3

Here is the system that is used to award points to decks in the four different categories:

MTGO
1 point: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average prevalence
2 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 1stdev prevalence
3 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 2stdev prevalence

Paper
1 point: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average prevalence
2 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 1stdev prevalence
3 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 2stdev prevalence

GP/PT T8/T16
1 point: Prevalence > average weighted showings of T8/T16 decks
2 points: Prevalence > average + 1stdev for weighted showings of T8/T16 decks
3 points: Prevalence > average + 2stdev for weighted showings of T8/T16 decks

GP/PT Day 2
1 point: Prevalence > average prevalence
2 points: Prevalence > average + 1stdev prevalence
3 points: Prevalence > average + 2stdev prevalence

3/3

Thanks for copying this out, it vastly improves this thread.

So im wondering if a G/W tokens deck could be viable. Utilizing the populate mechanic, Dromokas Command and even Doubling Season. Green gives you more beefy tokens then the 1/1 spirits and soldiers that White has access to. 3/3 Elephants all day.
Could this work?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll include it from now on.

>Playing?
spellweaver helix
>Brewing
spellweaver helix
>Next MTG Purchase
spellweaver helix

i love this deck guys, ive been playing it on xmage for days and it feels excellent. it's not perfect but it's strong and has some great matchups.

Will they ever produce decent art for snappy?

The first one looked like some fucked up drawthread commission and this is Static Shock reject concept art...

I never loved the art, but it's based on a person. I like how the art isnt super crowded or edgy; just a simple dude. I've grown to appreciate the Asian megaman.

If you want tokens, you normally play BW. Evasive token creatures from Lingering Souls and Spectral Procession along with cheap anthem effects makes for a decent clock . That, combined with a strong discard package and a dash of removal makes for a decent deck.

Are you running it in a loam shell? I like imprinting worst fears.

Is there a MTG thread that could help with deckbuilding? I am new to the game and need suggestions for low cost black monsters that are around 1-2 mana.

not sure if you can use, i am a fucking casual.

Essential for any black deck

Hmm, would've thought that Affinity would be higher after it managed to take a kid to 2nd place.

The best lesson in deckbuilding is to see what are the best decks and most played decks and play them yourself. That way you learn the weaknesses and strengths of the deck and what makes a deck good and why it is acceptable when it has a weak matchup because it has a solid matchup elsewhere. Print out some fake cards and test them against your friends.

Learning how to build a deck from scratch is basically a waste of your time and money. You can better use your time practicing with decks that are actually good, thus learning what makes a good deck and using your money once you know for certain what you want.

www.mtgtop8.com
Is a good place to start. Print off two high % decks and throw them against each other. See how they work.

To be fair, it's not like just the deck itself took him that far. He is honestly a very good player, and obviously knew the ins and outs of the deck. You can't just play the top deck and suddenly get top 8, you actually have to be a good player as well

Why is the new snap caster running?

He stole the spell (because he is black).

goldfish has a deck up you could look at:
mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-wg-tokens-modern

I think that the Affinity deck can make you look like a good player.

But the deck pretty much plays itself.

Is jund fun? Whats it like playing and playing against it.

Well I only play affinity, but the Jund matchup feels kina 50/50 for me. T1 they like to thoughtsieze, which I love because they whittle down their health for me. Bonus points if they're dismembering my stuff. But mostly it's just a lot of removal spells, value, and swinging in with a goyf. It's the literal definition of midrange.

Well i have affinity now and want to start putting together either a modern deck or maybe a commander deck and if i get another modern deck i want something a lot different than affinity.

Play grishoalbrand

R8 my Jund build, its currently a little bit tuned for a control/slower meta. Im thinking about taking out Chandra/P&K for another Kalitas, and possibly slotting out a Thoughtseize.

Im also ripping my SB apart, but its currently looking like:

>1x EE
>2x Fulminator
>1x Finks
>1x Feed the Clan
>1x Golgari Charm
>1x Night of Soul's Betrayal
>2x Languish
>1x Thrun
>2x Painful Truths
>1x Pyroclasm
>1x Shatterstorm
>1x Slaughter Games

Thoughts?

How many proxies are usually allowed in Vintage these days? Also, where can I get decent proxies for $1-2 per card? They don't need to fool anyone.

RARE
A
R
E

>Playing?
Elves, U Tron, Ad Nauseam, Bubble Hulk.
>Brewing
Runeflare Fever(Fevered Visions Runeflare Trap combo)
>Next MTG purchase?
Fucked if I know, whatever seems underrated at the moment.

There was a G/W tokens deck that went to day 2 at a GP so yes it can work but you don't need Doubling Season.

Bear in mind the G/W tokens deck was pretty much meant to be a direct meta deck against the Jeskai decks.

Counterspell, Force Spike, and Baleful Strix get printed for modern. Is UB control now a thing?

Surprised it's not mythic

Why is Chain Lightning uncommon but this is rare?

Because MaRo

Also because, technically speaking, Chain Lightning is a strictly worse Lightning Bolt.

Well I guess that makes sense. I thought you could also pay RR after your opponent bolts you back and rebolt your opponent.

Mate I will gladly take Chain Lightning at uncommon if Lightning Bolt has to be a rare(though as far as I can tell Lightning Bolt isn't confirmed in any spoiler list right now).

Bolt is a $2 card where as Chain Lightning is like $15-$20

>the way you ordered your creatures
Your autism is adorable user. Anyways, I always say jund should run all 4 lilianas mainboard, she is just that powerful. I would also suggest huntmaster of the fells insteas of P&K for some more lifegain

You can.

asian with a blaster is better than a photoshop rip of a basketball player with dreds attached. At least dunky nig looks like a jeskai or temur monk or something.

I want an equivalent of "let me google that for you" to exist for the gatherer page.
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&type= ["Creature"]&color= [B]&cmc= <[3]

yes, but modern is for cucks.

>Chain Lightning deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Then that player or that creature's controller may pay RR. If the player does, he or she may copy this spell and may choose a new target for that copy.

Sorry, but you're 100% incorrect. Source is gatherer: gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=false&multiverseid=1563

The copy has the copy ability too.
10/4/2004: The spell copy has all the text and can result in itself being copied.

This is why Italian Legends chain lightning is the best: it can't be redirected

How so?

Italians cant be directed to do anything

Source?

It's fake.

What are you idiots memeing about? Lightning Bolt hasn't been revealed in EMA.

>Alphabetical order is autism
I dunno if you noticed user, but the entire deck is alphabetical.

i am, i originally ran worst fears and it was cute but it was never as good as time stretch. now my primary helix shell is

loam
helix
flame jab
ravens crime

casting a time stretch (3 copies) usually into worldfire (1 copy) flame jab with enough turns or just WF flame jab raw on t3-4 is enough to demoralize.

They can't read it. A bunch of people only know that it does 3 damage.

Best feeling in the world is getting a burn ape by tapping Birchlore Ranger and 3 other elves to redirect a chain lightning to an eidolon

i heard you want to build that sweet jeskai

>Playing?
Nahiri, Affinity, Abzan Company

>Brewing?
Tweaking everything as I go.

>Next MTG Purchase?
Select EMA foils.

>Playing?
Skred, 8rack, naya tooth and nail

>Brewing?
Mardu a bit

>Next MTG Purchase?
Really fallen in love with grishoalbrand. I could just save up and get Jund in a month or so but I'm addicted to jank

Did you look at the creatures?

Combos with this

magiccards.info/scans/en/ts/278.jpg

>can build basically every blue deck in modern
>nothing left that I want to build

I need a new big project, shall I build modern jund or legacy death and taxes?

Legacy merfolk desu.

I have modern merfolk and chalices so that wouldn't even be that pricey but I don't think I like the deck that much

DnT, always.

Hey, I'm mostly an edh player, but if I were to make a budget version of the Jeskai ascendency combo deck with out the fetches and with fatestichers replacing the hierarchs, and adding in a little more control, would it be viable? At least be ok long enough to build it properly?

I would be running playsets of BoPs, Fatestichers, and Sylvan Caritids

The deck is bad when built properly, I don't think a budget version is a good idea

>white boardered bolts

do you think this is a game family

>playing spellweaver helix
>have helix + SSG + flame jab in hand, worldfire + flame jab in my grave
>opponent combos off with sword foundry + whatever for infinite life + tokens

>"concede?"
>"do you win this turn?"
>"i have infinite life and creatures"
>"okay lets pretend you have 100000000 life and creatures"

>slap down spellweaver targeting WF + FJ
>"that doesn't work"
>"yeah it does, pass priority"
>"no i get it, gg"

this deck is so fun. i feel like if graveyard hate wasn't everywhere it could be tier with tweaks.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-08-14-modern-turbofog/

In a creature heavy meta, like my lgs, this might be funny!

And not super expensive

>But the deck pretty much plays itself.

how so? the pros have mentioned that affinity is one of the hardest decks to play in modern

Sell it or nah?

It has a lot of nuances but it just isn't hard to pilot. Not that guy but I played it for over a year and none of my wins felt that great.
It's also a coin flip whether you just get hated out and can't play magic. That's lame

also essential for any black deck

I'm considering revisiting it now that I have grave trolls, and I want to use Ancient Stirrings in something. The card is busted.

>Learning how to build a deck from scratch is basically a waste of your time and money.
>no fun allowed in muh competitive collectionable toy game

as if there wasnt any fun into building your own deck and remuneration when after several attempts you adjust it in a way that steals games from the established big decks.

Price'll only drop after the hype around UWR dies down due to lack of a tournament finishes and Standard stabilizes to midrange creatures staring at each other, sell now.

Every single fucking thread this shill is one of the first posts. And that's why we can't discuss magic on Veeky Forums.

grave trolls won't get there. they're an expensive creature that would eat a path otherwise dead in their hand, but they dredge for a lot. unless you want it for a faithless looting engine or something, which i could see throwing in one copy or whatever but you'd never try and hard cast it. ancient stirrings is alright but the fact that it doesn't mill you sucks. straight mill/draw gives you access to all of the deck's tools. i don't know exactly what your list is, though. if I don't have a helix in my hand, I'd want an ancient stirrings, but if I do, I'd certainly even take a tome scour targeting myself before I'd cycle a card for 1 mana. I'm running glimpses mainboard, and they're amazing.

that said, it's kinda magical christmas land but using faithless looting and dredging 12 seems great. i'm currently running 3x time stretch 1x worldfire 1x sorin's vengeance for copy targets but i've been looking to remove sorin's so i could toss in a GGT or maybe even just go up to 4 time stretch.

Damn that makes her sound sexy.

Hey guys I need help on this situation.
If someone blinks Gideon ally of zendikar off the field with essence flux does Gideon lose all loyalty counters? I ask because I know creatures lose 1/1 counters when they are blinked.

when a planeswalker ETBs, they enter with the number of loyalty counters listed. he doesn't lose the counters, it refreshes his base number.

Ask Pascal Maynard

Real men use white boarder bolts, all in different languages and 2 of them discolored.

>not the premium deck series bolts to make your deck look more expensive than it really is
Do you even spike?

But that doesn't trigger autists at all.

>Playing?
Taking Turns

>Brewing?
Budget Infect

>Next MTG Purchase?
Playset of Ancestral Vision and Thing in the Ice

Why the hell isnt this Modern legal?
Why did they do a functional but shitty reprint of it with Honor of the Pure? I just want my classic White Weenie deck with White Knight , Silver Knight , Savannah Lions and Crusade
Thats some classic magic

20 Plains

4 Savannah Lions
4 Elite Vanguard
4 Student of Warfare
4 White Knight
4 Silver Knight
2 Ranger of Eos
2 Hero of Bladehold

4 Path to Exile
4 Crusade
4 Honor of the Pure
4 ????

Because Crusade buff all white creatures. Why would you want your opponent to also get buffs? Honor of the Pure buffs only your white creatures. And the colorless adds variety to splash in other colors e.g. BW Tokens.

Scenario time. You're playing against Merfolk and they play first. You drop your Savannah Lion on your turn 1. They play Spreading Seas on your fucking Plains when you were planning to play Crusade turn 2. Tough shit, change of plans. But hey, guess what? You can play Honor of the Pure because you can use the Island for Colorless and still swing for 3.

>Functional but shitty
Here's your (You)

Honor of the Pure is an improvement in every way bar the sweet art and name, I'm sure if you really wanted it you could pay someone to alter the art.

Ok its not that Honor of the Pure isnt strictly better. Its that Crusade is a classic magic card theyll never reprint because of shitty SJWs. The art is iconic and the card is iconic.

Yeah but i dont care about it being functionally better. I care about the sweet art and name. I just want to play the most classic white weenie deck at Modern FNM

How ridiculous are these triple sleeves?

Would you use them? I think they're pretty and they show off foils well.

>SJW

What? Are you sure you're talking about the right card?