/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Planner Chaos/Remakes edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/
photojoiner.net/
fotor.com/features/photo-stitch.html

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/123140679358/does-red-have-reach-now
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Silver-bordered cards with modern rarity-border added

Not sure this is worded correctly, but you get the idea.

I love the casting cost.

This + blood rain would be a silly wincon. Also I'm not sure if the first line's wording works. Ususally this kind of stuff uses replacement effects but this doesn't place anything so maybe it is fine.

This would see so much modern play. Like a majority of the time this is as good or better then mana leak. I feel this should be an uncommon.

This feels UR not R.

Should be a curse. Also way overpowered and should at LEAST have some sort of cumulative upkeep.

When ~ enters the battlefield, it gains hexproof until end of turn if [U] was spent to cast it, and gains lifelink until end of turn if [B] was spent to cast it.

See Dawnglow Infusion and similar.

See also Goblin Sleigh Ride, though MagicCards just uses the same black border template on it for some reason.

I think I could make a whole cycle of these.

I'm having fun.

Pretty sure you don't need to give it explicit Flash if you have it cast as part of the resolution of the ability.
>... exile the top card of your library. If it is a sorcery card, you may cast it.
If you said "until end of turn" (a la Daxos of Meletis), you'd need to obey timing restrictions, but this wording is closer to standard "You may cast it without paying its mana cost" sans the free-ness.

Also, only sorceries, and not instants too?

The proper wording is probably
>Mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.
A la Omnath, Locus of Mana.

Costs aren't allowed to target. Also, probably better as
>Sacrifice a black creature, exile a blue instant spell you control, and tap an untapped green creature with trample you control: ...

Requiring a second combat phase seems like a massive hoop to jump through for a 6/1 with haste, especially since I lose a creature in the bargain.

I'm surprised you like it. It's pretty hard to design for though.

The point is to make the cost as strange as possible. Just a fun exercise.

This reminded me of a DInosaur in Marvel.

It should only draw one card, not that many.

OK, done.

Abilities don't have colors. Also colorless mana costs were Koz's thing.

>Literally preexisting Emrakul with a lower annihilatornumber
>4 mana cheaper
Not only is it busted, it's also a shitty concept.

If this were me, I'd make it
>Unsure of the mana cost, probably something like 17 at least.
>When you cast ~, you control target player during that player's next turn.
>Flying, hexproof
>At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player sacrifices four permanents. [alternatively, "that player sacrifices an artifact, a creature, an enchantment, and a planeswalker."]
Last ability to tie into Delirium from SOI. Also, because Emrakul had the biggest Annihilator out of the original titans.

Does this card seem balanced?

Very controlly card for red, not so great for aggro since the opponent can just skip the combat phase they weren't using anyway. Turn manipulation is traditionally blue, but lately I've been thinking that red should get some too. See also Fatespinner.

Interesting use of hybrid mana. I imagine you'd get better play changing hexproof to unblockable to give the deck some reach, and changing stats to 3/1. (Reach the aggro concept, not the keyword.)

You should either kill this card or drop the draw. Removing the countering rider from Remand makes it stronger. But shifting it to white, a colour with far better aggro options, gives it a far larger power boost than you'd think.

Feels wrong in WU. Green and Red are the colours of anti-counterspells. Since red is the second spell colour after blue, I'd suggest dropping blue for red.

>Push Forward
That second option reads weird. Just make it give first strike straight up. You'd need a very high as-fan on haste to make it constantly relevant. If it's intended to be a bonus option for decks that opt into a haste-heavy aggro strategy rather than consistently available, then consider moving to build-around uncommon and making the second option much more powerful.
>Viashino Raid-Leader
See above comment on as-fan. Complexity says this should sit at uncommon, but this one might want to move down to common if you have a typical as-fan for haste.

That ability works within the Layers system on its own, but it will wreak havoc once you start adding other effects that grant haste/trample. In a nutshell, nothing will work like you expect it to, so that means you should kill this ability.

>but it will wreak havoc once you start adding other effects that grant haste/trample.
Not him, but how? I think you're really overestimating how confusing this might be.

Probably time stamps. I don't care enough to double check and sort through the logic.

>referencing the stack
OH SHIT NIGGA WHAT ARE YOU DOING
In seriousness though, I'm pretty sure you meant "a blue instant you control" but it would be far more elegant to just discard the card. The losing of trample is just... bizarre. I have to assume you're the same guy behind ( ) in which case I can imagine your entire set may need to be reworked. I'm getting the sense the set will probably create far too many unintuitive rules interactions to be playable.

"...only during additional/extra combat phases on your turn."
Honestly I don't know if the game can even support this templating, you'd probably technically have to houserule it in like a silver-border card. Try the Ask A Judge threads, galvanicAutogenitor might have a better idea.

This card actually has no real cost, and it's really secretly an anti-blue sideboard card.
>Put a creature on top...
Costs can be paid in any order. (601.2h) This means you can mill five first and then put your own creature on top. If it's a valuable creature with a good ETB...
>target blue creature you don't control.
Besides the colour hosing part, this is an element that is dependant on what your opponent is packing rather that something you can sideboard in/out against. It's the reason landwalk was abandoned. Also, targeting is part of the effect, not the cost.

Pretty sure that rider isn't even technically possible in the rules as is. You would actually have to use the Snow mana mechanic to achieve what you're after. (Rebrand Snow to some other subtype.)

Legal team says you can't print this. Sorry mate. (Hilarious concept though.)

I get how the Blend cost is black, but it still feels wrong since the Scratch half is now a red mechanic and not black.

>The point is to make the cost as strange as possible. Just a fun exercise.
Oh, I see where you're going with these now.
This is perhaps the most sane and practical cost so far.

Not a card I want to play, or play against, desu.

One last card for tonight. I know White is kinda strange, but I need it for Aura manipulation like this. And I want Auras to represent the magic runes he gets in the game.

Okay, so now that I know that you know these spells are clearly not meant to be practical, I'm just going to suggest a more workable template.

When you discard ~, if you have drawn or more cards this turn, you may pay 1 life for each creature you control. If you do, and ~ deals 2 damage to each other creature.

Brothers Yamazaki thinks this card is pretty cool.

>can't be ... exiled
This would technically have to be a separate ability to work properly. Also you'd still be able to exile it from the graveyard or library or hand, so you'd have to add a bit more text if you meant "can't be exiled from anywhere."

>loses their next turn
Change to "skips." Time Walk said "loses" during Alpha playtesting, but everybody thought it means "loses the game."

>loses colours, sacrifices
You've basically created "each player sacrifices all coloured permanents they control, and then sacrices some more permanents for each multicoloured permanent they controlled." (ie, Annihilator way-more-than-6)

>Does this card seem balanced?
There's a $50 card called Scapeshift that enables combo. This card is a souped up version. No, it's not balanced, and is basically "You win the game."

Could probably stand to be a 3/2 since it comes with a free Equipment/Aura. Or a 2/2 for 2RW. See how it goes in your set at all three costs.

you forgot about the anus mana symbol

you forgot protection form Squirrels

What said, time stamps.
(Raptor Pack v1)
>Cast Raptor Pack first.
>Cast Mass Hysteria second (All creatures have haste.)
>Cast Hill Giant (vanilla 3/3)
Your Hill Giant has haste, but NOT trample.

>Cast Mass Hysteria first
>Cast Raptor Pack second
>Cast Hill Giant
Your Hill Giant has haste AND trample.

Another example of the Layers sytem from MaRo himself: "Creatures with flying are blue."
If played with Levitation (creatures have flying) then you have flying creatures that aren't blue.
If played with Gravity Sphere (creatures lose flying) then you have blue creatures that don't fly.
>these two results are independant of timestamp order

This template works now. Yay!

>Your Hill Giant has haste, but NOT trample.
Why?

Because pack raptor has already checked to see if its ability applies.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Look at this card. He's a ruling for it.
>6/15/2010: Stalwart Shield-Bearers continually checks which creatures you control have defender and gives the bonus only to them. If an effect causes a creature with defender to lose defender (as Shoal Serpent does), Stalwart Shield-Bearers stops giving it the bonus for as long as it doesn't have defender. On the other hand, if a spell or ability causes a creature to be able to attack as though it didn't have defender (as Warmonger's Chariot does), Stalwart Shield-Bearers continues to give it the bonus because it never actually loses the defender ability.
Why wouldn't the raptor also continually checj the status of other creatures?

Wait, this is a better example.
>9/25/2006: If a creature without flanking is given flanking by another effect, then this ability will grant a second instance. Similarly, if a creature loses flanking, then it won't get the Calvary Master instance either.

Wait, hang on a sec, I think I derped.
Forgot about the Dependancy section. (613.7)
That section ALWAYS trips me up.
(Timestamp order is default, Dependancies are so rare that they're easy to forget.)

Original card should work as intended, my post at is incorrect. (MaRo's example is still correct though.)

Wow, that is fucking ridiculous. And as far as I can tell, the mindfuckery only happens because color effects and ability effects happen on different layers, which strikes me as needlessly complex.

In terms of mindfuckery, the Layer system is generally a lot better than the original system of "everything applies in the same layer in timestamp order only." Most interactions are actually a lot more intuitive now than they used to be, and the ones that aren't weren't much better under the old system.

P/T modifications were generally a big winner in the Layer system, since Wizards can now specify base power and toughness values. P/T switches are perhaps less intuitive however, but that mechanic is something Wizards rarely goes to, and for good reason.

I wasn't saying that the layer system is bad itself, merely that one part about how the color layer is separate from the ability layer.

Away from my computer right now, so no image.

>Preempt BX
>Instant
>Destroy target creature whose power isn't equal to its base power.

Obviously lack of precedent means templating might be off. It's supposed to be gold but I don't know which color to use as a second. I think it makes sense in both WB and UB.

Isn't deathtouch more of a sharingan thing with the black flames?

[SPOILER]sharingan developes into the rinnegan so its a shared pwer
>sharigan>full tomoe>magksharingan>infinitemgksharingan>rinnegan.thesagedidntneedtheforthstepmostlylikelybecauseofsejutsuandbeingdirectfromkaguya[/SPOILER]

>can't even spoiler text
Disgusting.

>not 13 mana

Anyone got a mediocre at best for this?

I see where he went wrong and its an easy mistake but still.

Inspired by another user.

I was tempted to add "tapped and attacking", but that would just be ridiculous, right?

Is that Prime? God, DC is so silly sometimes.

I can only note with amusement that she does not in fact have the Flagbearer creature type.
Though, incidentally, I think legends are supposed to use their full name and title the first time they're mentioned in rules text, and their name by itself only after.

senpai you need to add legendary before creature

Of course it's Prime. Who else would say something so dumb? Seriously though, I really loved what they did with Prime during Blackest Night, it was great. Too bad they pulled the plug after.

>card
Why is this not a legend?

>legend name
That's the convention, but it's not absolutely necessary - comp rules say that any instance of the shortened name stands in for the full name. (See Theros gods for examples). That said, the card isn't so crowded that the full name can't fit.

If you upped it by 1 cmc you might be able to, using Rabblemaster as a comparison point. Also axe a subtype so it's actually legendary.

Prime is awesome. I was half-expecting him to be the big reveal in Rebirth.

I used the short name because otherwise MSE fucks up the... word placement? It looked ugly. Can't have that. I'll keep tinkering with the balance.

Based on a suggestion an user gave me.

Rebirth? Haven't even been paying attention to that garbage. DC's pretty much dead to me. Same for Marvel. Sure, Cap is a Hydra agent. Totally not just shock value in an attempt to drive up sales in the same manner as clickbait articles on the internet.

Yeah, sometimes it lumps words together for some reason.

>Reach
I still don't think Reach works in any color besides Green. White and Blue can already block flyers with their own flyers, and Red and Black don't care that much about blocking anyway, on top of having some flyers as well.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/123140679358/does-red-have-reach-now

I really like reach in red. That so many people feel like red can't into blocking is one of the reasons it's so pigeonholed into just hasty goblins and burn. Plus I'm one of those fags against flying in red beyond the obligatory Dragon and Phoenix.

This doesn't prove anything. I said "I don't think Reach is Red." This says "Wizards thinks Reach is Red." Until they start making a concentrated effort to get Reach in Red, which they haven't in the, what, 10 months Maro made that post, I'm not going to budge.

>That so many people feel like red can't into blocking
I didn't say Red can't block, just that it doesn't care much about it. The same way that White doesn't care much about draw. It has it, sure, but it's certainly not a top priority.

Surely whatever Wizards thinks about the color pie is by definition the truth about the color pie? They're the arbiters of what is and isn't in color, after all; whatever they say goes.

Why you postin' my cards, son?

Just posting my favorite cards.

Usually I trust Wizards, yes, but they have made decisions I disagree with before, and likely will in the future. If Wizards made Reach a recurring thing in Red, I would tell people that when giving feedback, but I still wouldn't like it much and avoid it in my own cards.

The "at random" will severely limit the amount of play this sees.

I think Strange should be a Planeswalker.

feels like 7 mana

>Target opponent discards that card.
Which card?
OH GOD

"Whenever" rather than "When" for abilities that could trigger multiple times.

Gank is either missing some lines or has wrong wording. And if it's a Distress variant then it needs to cost more.

Too much gold at common. B04, R01 and R02 are also too similar.

How do these two cards relate to each other?

Fixed them.

How many should i have a common at max?

"Cast ~ only during an opponent's upkeep."

None of these make use of their small timing window, and are essentially sorceries that your opponents get a chance to counter if they were previously tapped out.

Well, the red one is a fairer Wheel.

"1, T: Add A or B to your mana pool."
Saves on line space. They're really bad at filtering, and will mostly be used for the cycling.

How about doing it like this instead ?

> 1, T: Add W or U to your mana pool.

>"Cast ~ only during an opponent's upkeep."
Thanks.
>None of these make use of their small timing window, and are essentially sorceries that your opponents get a chance to counter if they were previously tapped out.
That's wrong for all of them, if most of them could be cast sorcery speed they would be broken. Enact balance and uplift (based on balancing act/upheavel) are abused through floating mana during main phase and casting spells after the effect and bargain with the enemy, cycle of fate, and Tillings grace (symetrical yawgamoth's bargain, wheel of fortune and heartbeat) are all cards that could be abused the same way and even win the same turn you cast them if they were sorcery speed.

fair enough

>Well, the red one is a fairer Wheel.
Yeah, I'm annoyed at how similar it is to day's undoing in functionality but I couldn't think of any other red effects that would work with the drawback.
>"1, T: Add A or B to your mana pool."
Thanks
>They're really bad at filtering, and will mostly be used for the cycling.
They might be a little weak, yeah. The 'land' portion of the card should be a bit weaker than the onslaught lands to make up for the slight increase in versatility but it might be too much. if you compare tranquil thicket to forest than I think the most comparable land to these is the rootwater depths cycle, which was pretty bad (though not totally unplayable). You think if I combined current filtering ability with rootwater depth's ability it would be good enough?

Working on skulk variations - which one do you think is most fair for a set mechanic (primarily GW or GWR)

"This creature can't be blocked by creatures with lesser power."

"This creature can't be blocked by creatures with lesser toughness."

"This creature can't be blocked by creatures with greater toughness."

I was thinking about the middle one but I'd like to hear second opinions.