Fantasy Roleplaying Systems

Our group likes to play mainly Fantasy systems but we are getting tired of d20 and GURPS so what is your waifu Fantasy system.

ToR is the best system I have come across for playing Tolkien

I have heard a little about burning wheel, but i don't know how good it is.

-Dungeon World
-13th Age (d20, but good!)
-Torchbearer
-Mouse Guard
-Houses of the Blooded
-One Ring

RuneQuest 6 is an outstanding fantasy system.

>bad *World system
>overhyped d20 used as an excuse to play D&D without actually playing D&D
>The Burning Wheel
>The Burning Wheel
>FATE by John Wick
>Game I don't know anything about that uses special dice and gameplay phases like a board game

Strike! RPG.

D6 Fantasy, but it's not my waifu, it's just really practical.

Cypher System.

>Game I don't know anything about that uses special dice...
I thought it was just a d12 and some d6's?

I heartily endorse Savage Worlds. The mechanics are simple, and it functions well as both a generic RPG and a fantasy RPG.

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

I wish there was more discussion of SW around here. I love the system, but it doesn't seem very popular beyond a pretty small core of super-fans. Kind of like GURPS, but at least they have a general...

Fantasy craft.

Veeky Forums isn't one person.

Nor are we three people.
I'm pretty sure it's the same 1-2 people.

Only Veeky Forums shills Strike!

You basically see it nowhere else. It's just a shitty meme.

>Only Veeky Forums shills Strike!
>You basically see it nowhere else.
"Only the board dedicated to traditional games talks about this traditional game!"
Who the fuck else is gonna shill it, /tv/?

I mean like other RPG places on the internet. Strike! is pretty much just a shitty Veeky Forums meme and only Veeky Forums shills it.

Stop saying Veeky Forums, it's niche and there are 2 fans of it on Veeky Forums.

Why they like it is beyond anyone who has ever read about it, but let us not pretend that user plays RPGs before dismissing them.

its funny, I've never heard of strike until yesterday and I've seen it on about 3 threads since

How do you expect a game to get traction if fans of it can't recommend it without being called shills?

It's a small indie game that's self published (AFAIK), so there's no other way for it to grow than recommending it if you like it and it fits.

And it fits with basically anything that's vague enough, much like savage Worlds or GURPS.

That's assuming of course that you don't _mind_: it getting traction. In case you would actually rather nobody speaks of the system for some reason, carry on (although, I think being more direct in your approach would yield better results).

>How do you expect a game to get traction if fans of it can't recommend it without being called shills?
People playing the game and giving honest suggestions and not just shilling it.

I don't think you understand what the meaning of the word shill is.

Why do you think the recommendations aren't honest?

Because Veeky Forums can't do anything but shill it instead of talk about it.

It's hard to just talk about it because there's like 4 of us who even played it on Veeky Forums.

I do talk about when someone is interested in the recommendation (and I have the time) tho.

Talk, don't shill.

You may have already noticed by the timestamps, but I'm writing from work, so right now, no time.

I do intend to follow up once I get home, so hang around if you want.

Don't reply to trolls, dummy.

Ryuutama. It's described as "if Miyazaki made an RPG out of Oregon Trail"
Basically the GM is a dragon caretaker that feeds baby dragons bedtime stories, and it collects these bedtime stories by following travelers around.

Oh but this troll baited me into writing about something I'd like to write about anyway.

So yeah, Strike!

Strike! is basically if D&D 4e didn't have to be called D&D. It originated as a project called "sacred cow BBQ" on the ENWorld forums, I think. It removes a lot of D&D trappings (stats, numbers bloat, item treadmill, even the d20 is replaced with a d6) and tries to keep what the creator considered the important and fun parts.

Technically the so called "core" of the game isn't 4e-like at all, and is more in line with a super streamlined narrative system. It's not really that great, but is also easy to replace.

See, Strike! embraces modularity (wow, that sounds like a really bad sales pitch...). You can pick and choose which parts of the system you use and which ones you don't, and the real meat is in the Tactical Combat module, which is basically 4e combat, but significantly spead up. You create the combat side of your class seperately, selecting from a class (things like necromancer, summoner, warlord, martial artist, etc.) and a role (striker, controller, leader, defender, and as a new addition to the 4 man team, blaster), and then picking your powers from a list like in 4e. This results in a very wide possible array of characters, for how dense otherwise the classes are at least.

The only real fault of the game is that it really expects the players and the DM to craft their own fluff. The fluff in the game already is intentionally barebones and mutable. Some people like their fluff pre-made, so that's extra work for the DM.

MAID.

It's got game mechanics for everything so you don't have to roleplay

And it's got japanese anime tropes.

There are optional sexual encounters and character traits, that you should include

All you have to do is houserule in some Meme magic and you've got a system that keeps out literally 100% of the "NO THAT IS BAD WRONG FUN" fags.

Memes, Sex, Weeb and Game mechanics. The holy square that keeps out the "stop liking what I don't like" crowd.

>Modularity
I understand that why most people like things is on a very emotional level, but you do realize that every RPG lets you choose what rules to follow and allows you to use your own?

Here's a system. It's THE GAME---–––--- ---–––--- ---–––--- ---–––--- ---–––---

Yeah, but in Strike! the modules are like different sub-games of their own. The tactical module has little bearing on the core gameplay (they are obviously connected on the fluff level, and you can use your normal skills in combat of course, but your "normal" character and your "cmobat" character are essentially generated separately).

There are examples in the book both for using it for combat and how to run a combat when it's not in use. In short, they actually act like self contained modules and not "optional" rules. It's not 5e like "herpaderpa you can TOTALLY use feats optionally!" (I don't dislike 5e, but holy shit did it fail to deliver on the modularity promise).

Not that user, but Modularity allows you to take out certain options or create new ones without making the whole house of cards that is the game rules topple over.

Maid is very fun as a "just shitting around" type of game.

>Topple the rules
I think I get it. A modular game by your definition is one with no strong connections or design depth to hold it together.

Strike is like Bloodbowl except you are rollplaying one of the better units.

Strike is swingy and stupid, and not nearly as tactical as its fans think it is.

Yeah, just like Lego.

Have you considered a career in politics?

It's kinda swingy at the low levels, especially with a rogue in group. I have no experience at high levels, however.

That said, I found the swing to be in a good spot for me.

>rogue

By rougue I mean a backstabber thief/striker, as it oneshots most level 1 enemies, which makes it really damn good at level 1.

Anyway, full disclosure, I do find the d6 a bit too swingy and miss tokens as a meh balancer for that, and advantage not granular enough, so if I get some time to crunch numbers I'll probably modify the rolling mechanics a bit; possibly going as far as to just adopt a 2d6+stat PbtA games tend to use.

If you played Strike with them they'd get some experience and actually figure that out~

>rougue
Just gonna hedge your bets there, huh?

Strike tried to fix 4e by removing D&D sacred cows, and ended up throwing the baby out with the bathwater. In my opinion at least.

But it has a greater flaw than little things like standardising roles even more than they already were. It tries to be a universal system, but the vast separation of combat and non-combat relegates it to a select few genres where it makes sense that you can fly around a battlefield, but can't fly up to a 2nd story window outside of combat. So if you want to be super sentai, congratulations, this is the game for you, but it really, really can't be used a standard fantasy RPG

>rogue/striker
>oneshotting most enemies

Isn't that working as intended?

SW has the same problem GURPS has, namely that it's a generic, mostly do it yourself system so there's not too much to discuss. It's not quite as fiddly as Gurps so it can't sustain itself with rules for how to build such and such or tweak such and such subsystem like gurpsgen does

Why do you keep shilling Strike!?

I have been looking at this one myself. Other than perhaps a decent chance of instakilling enemies, it sounds like a legitimately good simpler system with real combat that doesn't take eons to resolve like 3.5. A lot of the settings and third party books look like they are really well produced to, though I am still deciding which fantasy one to look at.

How is the out of combat aspect of it? Is there stuff like item crafting, getting allies, a diplomacy system that isn't pants on head retarded like PF?

That was my main problem with 4e in the first place. No fun out of combat spells like nightmare and stoneshape. While I understand that creating demiplanes and turning invisible with no reprecussions was too much, they could have at least added some more utility to the game.