Cape Creation General

A thread for creating stuff for Cape Games be it characters, teams, powers, universes, or plots.

All ideas are welcomed and encouraged. None are too grim. None are too wacky. The goal is to create things that GM and players can take and put in their own games, modifying elements to suit their own tastes.

>System repository
pastebin.com/bU7vZFAN

Cape World stuff:

>Australia
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47227809/
>The Generals
pastebin.com/4ZEeWk7F
>Statesmen
pastebin.com/qCgQBDgr
>Hollywood
pastebin.com/2Bp49SEa
>Las Vegas
pastebin.com/ysD4JsRR
>Japan
pastebin.com/wz33giaC
>Germany
pastebin.com/pVweBM4F
>Generals' Villains
pastebin.com/gms0S8Vb

TOPIC STARTER: How did your players come together for their adventure? Was it an alien threat ? Their own villains decided to team up?

Previous Thread:>>A thread for creating stuff for Cape Games be it characters, teams, powers, universes, or plots.

All ideas are welcomed and encouraged. None are too grim. None are too wacky. The goal is to create things that GM and players can take and put in their own games, modifying elements to suit their own tastes.

>System repository
pastebin.com/bU7vZFAN

Cape World stuff:

>Australia
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47227809/
>The Generals
pastebin.com/4ZEeWk7F
>Statesmen
pastebin.com/qCgQBDgr
>Hollywood
pastebin.com/2Bp49SEa
>Las Vegas
pastebin.com/ysD4JsRR
>Japan
pastebin.com/wz33giaC
>Germany
pastebin.com/pVweBM4F
>Generals' Villains
pastebin.com/gms0S8Vb

TOPIC STARTER: How do you like your cape combat? Fun brawls? Life or death struggles? Puzzles to be solved with creative use of powers?

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/bU7vZFAN
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wait, I'm getting Deja Vu, did this thread happen already?

GJ, you fucked up the OP.

At least we have all the links, I think.

So what directions are we taking this thread? Continue to flesh out the new groups? Go for another country? Just general superhero stuff, not necessarily Cape World?

There was discussion in the last thread about China as being about authoritarian military supes versus freedom loving Wuxia supes. Perhaps we can build on that?
I'm thinking a good idea for a military supe is someone that claims to be a descendent of Guan Yu. Always acts honorably in battle, wields a big Guan Dao. As far as power set he could be able to see the weakness in anything al a Karnak?

What's going on in India?

Supers as Dieties has been done in Greece, but it's worth looking into. Doesn't India have a caste system? Perhaps that can be a point of contention with the emergence of superpowers

My favorite concept for real world supers is having a lot of the powers come from things that the working class does so we get dirt poor young people with intense god-like power. Like imagine if one of the young rioters in Greece had Human Torches powers. We'd have revolutions in every country in the world just by how many insane things are happening. I wrote a story when I was younger about a 'superman' figure being considered a terrorist threat by the U.N. because of his actions. It wasn't that he was evil or even being oppressed by the government. It was more that he was a 20 something who wanted to change the world but wasn't emotionally mature enough to know what to do. He had an entire little super-team too, he was the only one whose face was known also.

It's more of a cultural problem now, because the caste system has been officially dissolved but there are a lot of sub-surface tensions about it. At least as far as I remember. Unfortunately, I don't know a huge amount about the socio-political scene there besides pretty cursory stuff.

That said, the caste system stuff and the stratified society is probably a good place to start. There are a billion people in India after all, so they probably have a decent number of supers.

Here's a team idea that I haven't fully fleshed out yet. I posted the villians/heroes for a Hong Kong setting awhile back, and it's from that one. It spoofs oritenalism at times.
The Oriental League is a team of heroes operating in Hong Kong, once authorized by British government, and now operating in the underground. It is led by Providence, who models himself after 19th century British imperialism.
I haven't fleshed out the rest of the members yet, but they would all be based on stereotypes from former British colonies. Thinking I might just scrap the idea for pushing the satire a bit too much.

I wonder if the more or less random distribution of powers would harm what remains of the caste system.

Or maybe politicians could find a way to use powers to reinforce it, try to collect those with particularly great powers and claim they are in the upper castes, or even eliminating lower caste superpowered people.

Bump

How OP should speedsters be?
Is it just simply moving your whole body very fast, the peak of the power being the rare occasion of time travel, or is it full DC Speedforce with casual manipulation of vibrations and interdimensional travel?

Depends on your overarching powerlevel. I will say that mechanically, speedsters can be bullshit.

Well speed force is bullshit so I try to avoid it

Mid East is more gods as supers, or rather prophets and angels as supers. Greece is "the gods made a mess of the country and fucked off leaving Hades and his chosen supers to keep a Greece crawling with mythology shit stable". It's believed that the whole thing might have been a conspiracy by the gods to create a Greece more like what they knew in their heyday with heroes fighting monsters and city states and magic everywhere. Greeks just don't want to get eaten by hydras.

Can I use Senses and Create as a substitute for the Illusion power? I thought having the first two as an array might be cheaper than putting points in the later.

Greece: The gods appeared a decade ago and vowed to make Greece Great again if people let them run their government. They proceeded to make it "great" by making it more Australia with a weak Atlantean wall. Lots of stuff form the Spirit World could and did cross over. And the gods for the most part have disappeared except Hades who sticks around to heal the country.

Australia: Dreaming and Song Line shenanigans. Big outback creatures made of material from all 3 Earths. If you don't know where to walk you might find yourself teleported to a strange world where the sky is orange. Rainbow Serpent and friends are actively working to make it even weirder and a peaceful place where the Physical, Mental, and Spiritual can co exist in peace.

Mid-East: Supers are regarded as prophets or angels of higher powers...or as agents of infernal powers.

India: Have it be that the gods are present and active. But they're weird. Very weird. And very hard to understand, interact with, or communicate with.

Maha Vishnu is so big he sweats out multiverses daily. Try talking to THAT.

Hindu Mythology is OP here just as it was in the stories. They put the Atlanteans to absolute shame. Wall? What wall? Its quite possible that they transcend Dream-time altogether.

They impact India as a entry point they can incarnate into without breaking the universe. Avatars basically. They find it easier to manifest through superhumans than regular people, so Indian supers become conduits for super-dimensional beings that augment their powers. And more than one person be a conduit for a deity. Some supers are conduits for several.

This also creates a kind of soft "caste system". Conduits for Avatars are considered better than those that don't become Conduits.

They can probably relate to Arthur and friends in the whole "how much of me is me and how much of me is this supernatural mind" business.

I don't understand what you are attempting here.

Senses only defines what your character can perceive (unless your are including an Affects Others extra).

If you put a power in an array/alternate powers type package, you lose access to them when you are using the other side of the array.

Ah, my mistake then. So I can´t do that at all. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wanted to make something similar to illusions, because the cost seemed to high for me. Probably went about it the wrong way.

Sounds like a winner to me. It would be really cool if his power increased the longer he studied something or someone. If he watches you long enough he can deduce that you have a kryptonite like allergy to a certain substance. If he watches your team long enough he can find the one bit of drama that can have everyone at each others necks.

He reads your body language like a book. If you aren't faster than him he's kicking your ass in a fight.

Basically Golden Age Superman right there. Cape World's general political situation is leagues better than in the real world because it "grew up" with supers that protected the individual from tyranny. China isn't as bad as it is in real life because they can't control all the Yuxia. And Africa is a lotttttt better because it has a well disciplined culture of supers that generate their powers slowly and only with dedicated practice.

There needs to a be saucy romance between a Yuxia and a government cape. Lovers across faction lines.

What edition? Power Level and Character Points?

In 2e, Create Object is by default a 2pp/rank power, but it's pretty much limited to simple objects and some substance marking it as obviously created until you invest in extras and feats. It's used to represent stuff like Iceman, Invisible woman or the Human Torch's powers.

If you want Illusions that affect all senses, that means 4pp/rank. That's pretty cheap considering visual senses alone cost 2pp/rank, and you'll likely want your illusions to have at least a sound component, Illusions that affect smell as well as more exotic senses are just one point more expensive then Audio-Visual illusions. For 4pp/rank you illusions are already realistic enough, without having to dump extras and feats on top.

Yessss. Any ideas for the lovers?

Soldier lady made of ice and a Yuxia made of fire. She was supported by her fellow soldiers who help her feel less like a freak. He was given the same support by his Yuxia brothers. But only the other really understands the feelings of the other.

They can't touch people. When they walk through grass and nature it dies. When it rains one makes steam that scalds people around him and the other makes hail that bruises people.

They can relate. And what's more, when they were wrestling around during a fight thy realized that they can safely touch one another...

Would anyone be interested in using TSR Marvel to roll up a team that has separate incarnations in the Gold, Silver, Bronze, Dark, and Modern age based on the randomizer lists from last thread?

10 characters per age, thats 50 characters like the Statesmen. But it'll be easier to think them up because we already have a "role" to slot them into. We just need to see what powers they get.

Or we could use MM and just splice on the "role". Crimefighter Jungle Queen. Or Weapon Master Theater Magician. Could be fun.

MM or TSR Marvel?

I think it would be interesting to take a team through all these ages and see what we end up with by the end. Anyone up for it? Got to get some sleep now, but I certainly will be up this evening to roll and write and brainstorm.

Couple of suggestions for the German side, mainlyto sidestep the current HOLLYWOOD NAZI JERMAN JA JA naming conventions/errors.

Deutsch Liga -> Deutsche Liga leicht augmentierter Helfer, or "German League of Slightly Augmented Helpers". After WW2 and even with the oversicht of the UN, Germany maintains its Supers are mainly 'Helpers' rather than 'Supers' because the associations with the Übermensch trope is just to strong. It's a cultural thing, so most german capes actually agree and prefer the term, even though the 'slightly' is definitely misleading nowadays. Because we Germans are suckers for abbreviations (especially if they use two initial letters instead of one), it's referred to as DeLiLaH.

Übermensch Gesellschaft - > Übermenschenverbund ("Union of Supermen"). The ÜbmV was an atrocity. But it's an acknowledged atrocity, and its character(s) and deeds are called upon time and again as the "best worst examples" for the necessity to stay on the straight and narrow.

Drussenmann -> Der Düser ("Jetter"). German capes don't like the "-man"suffix (see Übermensch) and prefer other descriptors. (Based off of the fact that IRL, Spiderman was simply "Die Spinne" for the longest time before reverting to the more well-known name when the movies came out.)

Toybox is a bit of a puzzler. I get the name, but there's just no way to phrase it in German and keep the succinct statement intact. "Spielzeugkiste" is definitely too unwieldy.

Here is the list of archetypes by the way.

GOLDEN AGE:

1.Crime Fighter
2. Tibetan Adept
3. Theater Magician
4. Jungle Princess
5.Super Solider
6.The Marvel
7. The Adventurer
8. The Science Hero
9. The New Man
10. The Detective

SILVER AGE:

1.Science Guardian
2.Challenger of the Fantastic
3.Modern Marvel
4.Anti-Hero
5. Super Stranger
6.Sidekick
7.This Man, This Monster
8.Giant Kirby Monster
9. Crime Fighter
10. Cold Warrior

BRONZE AGE:

1.Legacy Hero
2. Space God
3. Space Wanderer
4. Kung Fu Hero
5. Horror Hero
6. Post-Apoc Savior
7. The Mage
8. Social Issues Hero
9. The Black Hero
10. Woman's Lib Hero

DARK AGE:

1. Dark Supernatural Avenger
2. Ninja
3. Mutant Animal
4. Parody Super
5. Muscle Monster
6. Big Guy with Big Gun
7. The Authoritarian
8. The Rebel
9. Cyborg
10.Feral Berserker

MODERN AGE (ideas):

1. Transcendent (uses the as above so as below magic of Grant Morrison and Vertigo comics)

2. Protector (Distillation of Silver Age Optimism. Grant Morrison Superman)

3. Fangirl (Cute character who is a fan of the old guard. Kamala Khan basically)

Cheeky Fourth Wall Breaker (Deadpool and Spidey coloring book)

Movie Hero (Built for a movie, Wolverine Deadpool is an infamous example)

Diverse Legacy (Female Thor, Female Cap, you know the works)

Resurrected Oldie (One of those characters that died, now coming back in a "new" "hip" style)

Grizzled Veteran (Old Man Logan)

Benchwarmer (Character that's been out of the limelight forever is suddenly brought back in)

Genre Savant: Not a 4th wall breaker, although sometimes they may appear to be, but has knowledge of all the ins and outs of the world and its history. Guys that "know" about reality warping crisis events and Astro City characters that are self-aware about super hero cultures and traditions.

Der Duser sounds a lot better than Drussenmann.

Also sweet abbreviation there with DeLiLaH.

As for toybox, I don't know a lick of German, but maybe something like "little box" or "little toy". Something kind of affectionate and cute.

So is edspear going to finish up that fighting tournament? I hope he does. I want to see who makes it to Miss Majesty.

"Drussen" isn't even a word. I suspect "Düsen" was the one the original user meant.

As for Toybox... what about switching the allusion from toys to something else as follows?

"The Hainzl"
A community of tiny robots that operate together, able to deconstruct and reconstruct itself in seconds into whatever the situation calls it to be. A shelter for refugees? A dam? A hospital? Think Metroplex from Transformers but made of nanites. The Hainzl is both ride, base, and friend to other members of DeLiLAH.

As its pinnacle combat form is a giant robot that dwarfs even most of Japan's Super Robots, Hainzl is extremely powerful, and the international community is rather worried about a super this powerful being associated with Germany given that nation's dark history, but so far Hainzl has proven exemplary, saving and preserving lives where- and whenever it can.

Why exactly the community refers to itself and its gestalt as "Hainzl" is hard to define. The allusion to the Heinzelmännchen of old is obvious, these helpful household spirits; but those were spirits or fae creatures, not a gestalt entity of entirely artificial nature. In fact, the components of Hainzl - all of them sapient, with individual personalities - never identify AS Hainzl: They identiy WITH Hainzl. Their own personalities are aspects of this greater gestalt, felt by all of them, and when they work together they bring "him" to life.

Thus it is perhaps more helpful to think of Heinzl as a culture or religion. Its components worship the sanctity of human life and exemplify the postwar philosophy of German capes as "Helpers" rather than fighters. Its default form is human in shape, and just its components believe that they belong to one single body, they consider all humans to belong to a single "body of humanity". (It's somewhat of a medieval concept. The human body is "mapped" to the higher cosmos, the body of God. Man made in the image of God and all that.)

All in all, Hainzl is a fascinating subject, found both in the latest tabloid headlines for its exploits as well as research in the humanities alike.

I don't know about flooding people with another massive tide of characters.

How do I make super strength cinematic? Most games knock back rules are fillip any and you either hit the dude with enough strength to throw a building and he just falls down or you get a guy hitting with the strength of a truck throwing the dude 20m.

I like it!

Maybe instead we can work on filling in a couple of characters for each of the locations we have? So far Steelo has been the only addition to Germany.

You'd probably punch right through somebody's gut if you concentrated the energy of a whole truck into a fist-sized area of impact. Like, easily.

This is a super hero thread, most enemies can survive bullets.

When someone gets punted with the force equal to a train they better go flying unless A. They have equal strength and pushed against it. Or B. Weight increase powers.

>pastebin.com/bU7vZFAN

Currently working on the Russian and US WW2 Programs.

I posted some stuff in the previous thread.

Will link the pastebin when I am done writing and compiling the script up.

Prelude:

The US has always had the largest Super scene of any nation, with costumed Supers fighting each other as heroes and villains, as well as a decently sized population of "closeted" or hidden Supers who didn't seek the attention of wearing the Capes. But the US had no organized program at all for Super Americans, instead it made small inroads in the interwar period which were done by financed scientists of several prestigious American universities to develop "combat enhancing methods". However the US didn't attempt to create Super military units or meaningfully integrate its Supers in anyway to its existing institutions. As whole the country was quite lax on this new Wild West, and the only real agency that interacted with Supers strongly were the FBI and Police Agencies , which had a fragile truce with most Superheroes and a series of operations to arrest/deter Supervillains that with the cooperation of some of America's Superheroes, the program did quite well.

But the attack on Pearl Harbor changed everything and the US began efforts on using its extremely useful human capital to fight a titanic struggle. And after the war, the structures created and agencies created would be reformed into larger and more efficient models for the Superhuman Arms Race between the US and the Soviet Union...

Is what I have so far, I am curious if anyone really wants to have WW2 setting where as I mentioned before Supervillains fought the Nazis
for America. Because fuck Nazis and also pardons.

That setting is remarkably close to the setting idea of Supervillains that couldn't dodge the Vietnam Draft in their civilian identities, so it's a sort of mid-low tier Black Ops squad of questionable methods.

But that doesn't make it a bad idea, yours implies that the villains chose to fight in the war. Naturally they would be much stronger capes than the Vietnam campaign. We could probably have this sort of plot in any war.

Maybe we could categorize the various wars by general power of capes who would fight in it? More a tool for GMs than a flatout plot.

In just the setting, yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

I am working on other ideas, but the idea of a group of Jewish-American Supervillains wanting to fight Hitler. It the best WW2 idea that I thought of.

hey /ccg/ I have a concept for my superhero setting I want to run by you guys.
I call them the Seven Powers, basically each continents population of supers offer up one of their own to act as a respective for a council that would both police and support supers all over the world.
they will act as sort of like a UN in that they would try to end conflict with in the super hero community with as little violence as possible, basically they would be the guys trying to end Civil War by making both cap and iron man sit down and talk it out.
candidates would have to powerful in order to do this of course but powerful tends to mean different things to different people, so one candidate could be a superman tier god of combat but another could be more like nightwing and just be friends with almost everyone, including that god of combat, in the hero community.

what do you guys think good, bad? any suggestions to make it work better?

I think that sounds interesting, especially the part about the heroes having to act as representatives. Some conflict could come out of there, plus the "powerful tends to mean different things to different people" thing. I'd imagine most countries would be eager to send off their hardest hitting, most intimidating, strongest "superman tier god of combat", but then you have the issue of an ineffective team because you just have multiple of the same hero, not a diverse set of powers and skills to handle any situation. Some would have to someone less overwhelmingly impressive, like a nightwing sort of person like you said, to make the team effective at the cost of not looking as good.

the General idea behind them is each "power" as they would be called, would be someone their community trusts. so you could be a god amongst men but if you're an asshole you're not getting in and groups can be also put forth as candidates, so say japan could have a super sentai team as their rep, this would hopefully diversify the powers a little.
the "candidates must be powerful" bit is mostly a requirement due to the nature of heroes of being kinda bullheaded and used to using violence to solve their problems.