Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Why aren't you playing a div/rakshasa-spawn tiefling kitsune bard (rubato)?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/5F8RNubX

Ultimate Equipment Errata (updated 5/19): paizo.com/products/btpy8tmc?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Ultimate-Equipment

Please search for the unerrata'd content here. Save them, and wait for Nerfonomicon user to compile them: web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/skeleton-medium/skeleton-advanced-megaraptor
youtube.com/watch?v=svUXht2Z4Ss
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What the fuck is this furry weaboo bullshit?

You're in the wrong tabletop game if you don't like furry weeaboo stuffs

Which metamagic feat works out better, Persistent Spell (targets of the spell must successfully save twice) or Focused Spell (one target of the spell has the DC increased by two)? Persistent seems better, even before looking at the fact that it can affect multiple targets, but I'm sure someone who is better than me at math could tell me there's a certain DC below which Focused is better.

Why should I play as one?

Sparklefox bishies.

I think Persistent is better, roll wise, if they succeed on a 4 and above.
17/20^2 = 72.25% chance of succeeding
15/20 = 75% chance of succeeding

If they succeed on a 3 then it'd be
18/20^2 = 81% chance of succeeding
16/20 = 80% chance of succeeding

It's early though so my math might be off.

Persistent lowers the average d20 roll from 10.5 to 7.17, while Focused would "effectively" drop it to 8.5. Persistent also does the chance of a natural 20 from 5% to .25% and raises the chance of a natural 1 to 9.75%.

Persistent is better in almost every situation, the only real exception being at levels where they'd only be able to fail the save on a die result of 2 (1d20k1 has a 19% chance of being at least a 2, 1d20-1 has a 20% chance).

Go away faggot.

Making a new character since my last one died. It's a kingmaker campaign and we're getting to the kingdom building stuff. Theres no rogue and I was thinking of going stalker but then I changed my mind to warder. Do i stick with warder or change to stalker?

Why is combat expertise such UTTER shit now? At least in3.5 it had some value for my shitty deadly defense build. Or I could puff up to 31 AC against easy to hit shit.

It was a shit feat already, I used it for Timmy builds, why the hell did they nerd it even more??

It's pretty much meant as a "feat tax" that you have to pay to get feats that are actually good.

Of course every single group I've ever been in has house-ruled that you don;t need Combat Expertise for anything that requires it as a pre-requisite.

Wait, how did they nerf it?

I just use Martial Power now. Both as its own feat and for the tax.

>Go away faggot.
That's not very nice. It's not like anthro races aren't in the game itself. We have tengu, nezumi, kitsune. In addition lots of abilities and powers are very anime-esque. Like barbarians ignoring the pain they're going through and fighting on, seething with rage to make themselves more powerful as their hair turns golden.

What are you talking about? In 3.5 it was complete shit and didn't scale for a damn. You had to pay another feat tax from Complete Warrior so it would at least scale like power attack.

In PF you have defensive trait and crane style to make it somewhat worthwhile. Unless of course those brilliant Pazio designers decided to nerf it somehow?

I have bad news about crane wing while we're at it...

What are those? I liked CE cause you could take it with any class. Is it true for those feats as well or are those class features?

The errata for PFS shitters? That's not really news, no decent GM would ever enforce that anyway.

Unless that's the version in their book or they get their info online.

Defensive is a trait which can be taken by anyone.

Crane Style/Wing/Riposte are combat/style feats.

I guess ideally you would fight defensively while using combat expertise, with the trait/style reducing your penalties to hit. Since (if I'm not mistaken) dodge bonus to AC does stack.

I can't say a GM is decent if they go online see how Crane Wing works now compared to how it used to work and agree to use it.

>I can't say any dm that uses the PFSRD is decent

I ain't buyin' those books, how am I supposed to know what was changed without having to go through paizo's shitty site. Online SRDs get updated with errata sadly without also saying the previous versions. It's not the DMs fault that they don't know what was errata'd and what wasn't.

They should be using the archives :^)

I want to throw a Necrocraft with Grab and Burrow at my low-level PC's.
Are there any rules for damage for being grabbed through earth?

ARCHIVES
OF
NETHYS

They still have unerrata'd content of literally everything, non-genericised stuff, and vastly more 1pp content than pfsrd.
The only drawback is the lack of 3pp stuff.

It would need to reposition the target into an adjacent square or it fails to hold automatically.

From Grapple rules:
Move

>You can move both yourself and your target up to half your speed. At the end of your movement, you can place your target in any square adjacent to you.

Also from the grapple rules

>If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails).

But isn't a burrowing creature displacing earth and thus providing a tunnel for the grapple?

From the Universal Monster Rules

>A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise.

>Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing.

>Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

I mean you could hand-wave that but that would mean a bump to the CR, that could easily lead to suffocation and an angry PC. Unless of course you provided a way for them to overcome that.

Looking at Scarred Witch Doctor and it's using the int version, not the con version on archives of nethys

Burrowing creatures can choose whether or not to leave a tunnel behind, if I remember right.

I'm considering making it a +1 CR bump. And, most of all, it feels hilarious.
Given that my party is full of PoW stuff, they can probably handle it, though.

If I'm not mistaken suffocation takes forever in PF so they'll probably be okay.

If you wanna get really nasty throw in a Spike Stones trap too. Maybe something that can do dirty tricks on them by kicking dirt in their eyes while they're being dragged to their doom.

Hey /pfg/, how does make you feel?

He's not wrong.

He honestly isn't wrong at all.
Most of /pfg/ has devolved into a cesspool of PoW dick sucking and shit like OP's pic.

Did your bait fail that badly you had to come here? Fuck off mate.

Here, have a cutie so this post isn't a complete waste of space.

Man, /pfg/ used to be so much better about not taking bait.

Is it summer already?

Dem hips, tho.

Very cute

All the better for making a new generation of bat cultists

>Is it Summer already

We've been in Eternal Summer ever since smartphones made shitposting available 24/7.

But yes, it's also *literally* summer, all the schools have let out.

What are the opinions on Interjection Games classes? Are they a good option or are they too fiddly and easier to do with other options?

Also, has anyone looked at runesmithing? How does the system work?

Where would you even play this concept?

you're in the wrong plane of existance, called living, if you like this stuff!

What's a good level to start? 1 or 2?
Pros or cons of each?

Depends entirely on the group, your personal preferences and what you actually WANT from the campaign. Generally 3+ is recommended unless you either have first time players at the table, enjoy rusty dagger shanktown or the story calls for the players to start out as literal nobodies.

Never liked them myself. As you said they're too fiddly and poorly written.

Question: How does the shattering weapon enchantment work since objects are immune to crits?

I honestly just shift the level of my world upward so that a level 3 individual is still basically a nobody.

Why level 3+ though?
Is that when most class feature come online and more monsters are accessible to battle?

I don't get this talk about refluffing Psionics to rune magic. Shouldn't it be the other way?

Magic has mana (power points) and bigger spells (powers) cost more mana.
Vancian magic is done by Runes (spell slots). Once you activate the rune (the prepared spell, which may or may not have the material components), the spell burns out.

Does this seem backwards to anyone else?

3rd level is when the chances of a lucky CR appropriate enemy killing or downing a PC in one round go down significantly.

It's a vague level at which you may not die to lucky sword attack from literally anyone.

It's just a little more of a buffer against shanktown.

Lads, I need a bit of help with my character background.

How do you explain a Korvosan getting elemental powers, and in the process retire to Sandpoint to recover from the encounter?

More specifically, I'm trying to explain how a ZweiSent acquired Elemental Flux.

Im about to start running a Hell's Vengeance game with PoW, I have never run a game with PoW before, should I give enemies manoeuvres to balance things out?
I should note that so far only one PC is making a PoW character, a Scarlet Throne focused Warlord

Well that was the default suggestion in the Psionics book. Runes is a safe nice, generic fantasy term.

Literal burning rage activated his anima
Everything else came afterwards with focus and training. Earth is still a hard element for him to master.

So you want survivability but what about challenging combat?

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/skeleton-medium/skeleton-advanced-megaraptor
How the holy fuck is this a CR 3 monster?
It literally deals 50 damage on a pounce, more than a Dire Lion, which is a pretty good CR 5 monster.

More enemies rather than tougher ones. Tougher ones will just make things a slog for your non PoW classes.

For bosses, giving them a custom strike couldn't be bad, as well as some hp bloat until around 6th level where monster HP starts scaling to account for full attacks

Loading up on counters feels bad for the players with wasted actions, since there's a lot more enemies than allies.

Think Dynasty Warriors when it comes to PoW.

Thanks comparing it to Dynasty Warriors helps a lot actually.

What challenging combat?

At that level you have a standard to attack and one combat spell.

Random chance to die thanks to one unlucky dice roll =/= challenging combat

Challenging combat is when your decisions are risky, but your decisions actually matter.

You call that a dangerous CR 3 monster? Kouhai please

Deciding the winner based on a coin flip instead of by playing chess is not inherently more challenging or less survivable.

But user, what could have possibly made this character become the angriest man who ever lived?

Maybe he got struck by lightning after the traumatic event, he *does* wield a spear.

Level 2 for a horror themed game

What's the scariest monster in Pathfinder?

owlbears

Women

Your mom

>want to homebrew a magus archetype that utilizes a better version of the Vigilante Warlock's mystic bolts, instead of trying to shoehorn fixes into the Warlock.
>if I actually make it fun to use, it would probably eclipse the regular magus
>if I make it "balanced" through whatever bizarre method paizo uses, it would be a nonfunctional piece of garbage
>realize partway through that no matter what I did with the bolts, people will either whine about "ALL DAY" or just tell me "but PoW does the exact same thing already!"

I just want to make a mixup game magus archetype with elemental resist piercing.

That's not how to work out the failure chance persistent

If they succeed on a 5, they have a 25% failure chance the first time and a 75% chance to succeed the first time. You then multiply 25% (fail chance) by 75% (the odds they succeeded on the first roll), and add that to the initial failure chance

I.e. fail chance of persisted is 0.25 + 0.25*0.75

Assuming in remembering my statistics classes correctly

Just play a fucking Cryptic with a Conductive weapon.

The world is unfair and unjust. Evil gets ahead while good struggles through. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Human life is cheap in the eyes of the world. Children are forced to grow up too quickly. Too many people who are hurt and not enough people to care.

Those who are self proclaimed "good" do nothing of the sort, even with power that they wield. Evil continues to corrupt and to pit man against his brothers and sisters.

Most see the world and turned to despair.

You didn't. You got angry. Really god damn angry.

>Conductive weapon.
That's the bitches way out and you know it. That's "just use a longbow" tier advice.

Don't be a faggot user and just write it.

For its CR? That damned crab.

Then just use a Cryptic with the Grammatron archetype - they have the ability to channel their blast through a weapon built into the class.

they have the ability to channel their blast through a weapon

That's still the bitches way out.

Not in Pathfinder.
That Damn Crab was strong in 3.5, but nerfed into the ground in Pathfinder.

Then what the fuck else do you want from "a Magus with Warlock's blast"?

It was made much more reasonable in 3.5 in, I wanna say, Stormwrack.

Just play one of the DSP kineticist archetypes goddamn

>Just play one of the DSP kineticist
You can only polish a turd so much,kineticists are a pain to build and play and the Avant Garde is still pretty shitty.

Nah, I think I'll stay, thanks.

Honestly, the warlock bolts would work fine if 4e Implements existed in pathfinder. So you can have a wand or staff or bracelet that focuses your will and improves it like a magic weapon.

My guess? Shoots magic, and powers it up with spells. So a not-shit magus/kineticist hybrid type thing

Gambler is closer to elemental blaster, and has 0% in common with the base kineticist besides the BAB and saves.

Gambler Kineticist is pretty much that.
It's like you don't even know all the DSP stuff.

It gets better, although not as much as other builds, with kineticists of porphyra.

Ugh, why does the Quick Change social talent have to require 7 levels in Vigilante? I just want a level 1 dip so I can get the flavor and 19 levels in whatever else. I feel like every time something new is added Paizo just... hates fun.

Of course paizo hates fun. Here's a list of everything fun they've done.

You're in luck.

As of Inner Sea Intrigue you don't even need the one level dip.
Still no quick change though

thank you for that beautiful image. I like it a lot.

>wand or staff or bracelet
Or book

One thing that I liked about an end of era ps2 game called 'eternal poison' was that mages could actually use books as focus items.

I'm probably going to do it anyway because I really like homebrewing things, but like I said, people are already shitposting over "but just use x thing instead".

As far as why I want to make a magus archetype? Because I want to try making something to shift focus from spell combating with spellstrike to weapon enchanting and having an innate ranged attack. Trade out the raw power of spellstrike for consistency and the ability to reduce an enemy's resistances.

inb4 another 15 posts of "just use this thing DSP made that kind of maybe does that thing" that misses the point of wanting to homebrew.

The fact that the warlock does not replace the startling/frightening/stunning appearance features means that there's plenty of room to improve it. The problem lies in what exactly you're supposed to unfuck it with, since "ALL DAY".

I'm actually pretty familiar with Gambler. I was just summarizing what they were after

What do you guys think of the mutations from kineticists of porphyra 3? It may be in the trove now but if not I can put it up.

BrownFur Transmuter Arcanist + Paragon surge on non half-elf target.

Does it work?

I don't think even 1 and 2 are on the trove yet.
Which is a shame since I've been on the lookout for them.

youtube.com/watch?v=svUXht2Z4Ss

It was a brutally hard srpg, that honestly wasn't particularly amazing and it was slow as all hell.