LARP

So I've been interested in larping. Fuck what these fat fuck pretentious neckbeards have to say, it looks fun. How the hell do I even get started? Can some veterans give me an essentials list up in here?

Other urls found in this thread:

picasaweb.google.com/102150401639510130489/PatternsAndStuff
gjar-po.sk/~kassayova9c/the medieval tailor's assistant.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Contact your local group
>check Facebook, meetup, etc.

Check their regulations on costume and props and weapons

Adhere to those rules

Climb on the ship before rocking the boat yo

>Fuck what these fat fuck pretentious neckbeards think
>wants to join an activity dominated by fat fuck pretentious neckbeards

Best of luck user.

Most larpers that I've seen online and on the internet tend to be Spooky Scary Skeletons! rather than fat fuck toads.

>Hit gym hard
>start doing a ton of cardio
>get into shape roughly equivalent of 50's movie star, not too hard to achieve with decent diet.
>don homemade tunic of cutoff t-shirt with opened neck and dark male booty shorts of bygone fashion
>tall fur boots or leather sandals
>make larp spear and run around the forest dex fighting around out of shape neckbeards
>steal all the cutest LARP girls with slightly superior physique and lay them on top of your rug pile in your king-size Yurt while smoking dank like a Khan

This is how you LARP

I'm with ya OP, LARPing looks fun as fuck. I'd be right there with you, but my knees are all fucked up. I wish you the best of luck.

Basically this

Larping has two parts to it roleplay and mechanics

From what i've seen american larping is more sportslike, a story thats basic or a vague excuse for swordfighting while wearing medieval gear.

European Larping has the focus on the experience and the roleplay. Players may violate the rules an die in an epic way even if they wouldve survived the fight.

On your first time try not to dive too deep and have a comical aspect to your character to avoid breaking character.

Ive been larping for years but the best tips i can give are:

1 no such thing as too many baby wipes.
2 have some aftershave
3 make sure your kit is comfortable to wear and excersize in
4stay in character as long and as much as you can

You can play an old man, a noble, or even a crummy wizard, a trader and so much more.

Get some fitting clothes and be a tailor selling his works. Play a begger.

Not everyone has to play MC knight of falsencastle or the orphaned warrior from their village

I've got a decent body and a big dick. I could probably cuck every one of those guys and take a few men for myself.

Are you more interested in the sport aspect or the role playing aspect? For a light introduction to both I would recommend either Dagorhir or Belegarth if you are in the US.

Hits are full force in these (no head shots), so don't expect to be tapped lightly. There is no magic, and there is a basic combat rule system based on different hit types and weapon types.

>LARPing
>Dominated by Fat fucks
>Fat fucks dominating an activity that demands even a decent level of physical activity and enjoyment of the outdoors

Try again senpai.

In my experience, lots of larpers are chubby but not outright fat.

Chubby and soft is pretty much the human default.

People like food.

You honestly think well adjusted and attractive people are going to delve into fucking LARPing?

The ratio of peoples of the one I went to was the same as at an LGS. A small handful were attractive, most were unfit and varying levels of fat, and the rest were very fat. There was no shortage of overbloated senpais.

That's the attitude that enables it, yes.

Well adjusted and attractive people that have stupid amounts of money play fucking D&D; they even use it as inspiration.

God damn you Mark Sinclair.

This desuWhen I was young and stupid I actually attended one of these misery shows and it almost destroyed any interest I had in roleplaying in general.
A few of the Alpha Nerds looked neat with their retardedly expensive outfits, but still got their Veeky Forums asses handed to them by the four hundred pound grogs in dollar store costumes.

The RP aspect was shy of renaissance festival tier and the girls were cute if you captain a whaling vessel.

Gropey and Hungarian Larpfag, I summon you...

Seriously though.
1. its fun
2. put a change of clothes in a sealable ziplock bag inside whatever else you have. Trust me, if its an outdoors larp, you'll regret the one time you get drenched and have no change of dry clothes.
3. dont take it too seriously. Only arseholes take it seriously. Dont be an arsehole.

It very much depends on where you are in the world - US, sorry, you've probably drawn the short straw in life. most US larps are shitty. Scandinavia? some mental shit going on there.

Best advice is, talk to existing players to get a feel, look at photos from the events to get an idea of costume etc. Charity shops are your friend - you'll find lots of bits that can be used as a base to work from. learn to sew, if you can, its a useful life skill, anyhow. Fabric shops will sell linens that let you make a shirt for 1/10th the cost of buying it online. for appearances, look at head, torso/arms legs, feet. in that order. A hat will change the profile of a character quickly - we dont wear hats nowadays, so a floppy hat, or a coif style piece of headgear instantly changes your profile. we usually have loose trousers, so doing leg bindings (winningas) on your calves instantly changes the profile of the leg.
In many outdoor fantasy larps, I would recommend you do not even think of the word costume. Instead work out clothing. Costume is for looks. Clothing is for function. you dont want a flammable polyester, or a non-waterproof fabric, or an overly wide belt that looks flashy as costume but you cant wear comfortably when you sit. Work out your look with practicality in mind

If you get into it seriously, your first big purchase should be a suitable looking, but more importantly, suitably comfortable shoes. Nothing breaks immersion like a pair of trainers poking out the bottom of a good kit. dont buy armour before you've played - dont buy weapons till you're there, and know what will pass inspection for their rules.

it's sad because it's actually true for US larping

well most of the basics already mentioned by the other anons. If you have specific questions go for it because the problem is larping is just an umbrella term as tabletop gaming.
Everyone can start to talk about tabletop gaming but not everything will be true for every kind of it

Both really. I love roleplaying and find the idea of shooting some orcs down with a bow to be ideal

That's another thing! I don't know what to do about clothing. How do people even get into a consume? I sort of have the body for it, but am not too sure if I could pull it off. I've got some of the muscle to do it.

I kinda like the idea of taking some very little inspiration from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Joseph Joestar. Just not as over the top. But then again that would mostly just be me trying to impress any ladies.

Realistically I'd probably just want to play a wizard or cleric.

go to a thrift store or sew yourself.

with a little bit of string and some well placed cuts almost every plane looking clothing will look simply medieval.

as for cleric\wizard robes: get a cloak or wear a blanket and wrap it up nicely with some cotton string, get a square of fabric make a hole for the head and use a belt or more string as a belt.
for pants I'd find a dress (or another square of fabric surprise surprise) and gird the loins like in pic related.
Buy proper shoes like Hungarian LARPfag said unless you feel like shoe making is your true calling.

Any plain color will do or a nice looking pattern.
don't forget undies.

Check out some early medieval clothing (Saxon or Norman, possibly late Crusades). Hose (footed or otherwise), braes, undertunic, overtunic, cloak, boots, brooch for cloak. Possibly a hood if you feel like it.

Hose are basically long tubes you put your legs into. Braes are effectively big baggy boxer shorts. Under- and overtunic are obvious, but remember that the undertunic and braes are not meant to be seen, while the hose and overtunic are. You might want a brooch for the overtunic as well. I would definitely recommend boots rather than shoes, as shoes can be slippy as fuck, and you want Roman-style boots (with proper hobnails) rather than Saxon or Norman.

>fat fuck pretentious neckbeards want to prevent me from LARP
This is the most ass backwards thing I've read in a week

I don't see how so.

And how would they prevent me from larping? I just said fuck their opinion. Nobody is stopping me from doing what I want to.

OK this is the kind of thing that just needs clarification. who are these people and do they actually exist? are they larpers?

There are neckbeards in larping same as with everything even slightly geeky.

let them cry and moan while you alpha their asses.

The trick, Anonfriend, is to master the art of proper sword fighting so you destroy anyone who gets too close to you.

Yeah. They do. Sorry if you're one of them

I know, this agrippa served me well in those times of neck beard combating

>These god damn boots
>Those flaps
Wow

I was disappointed when I couldn't bring my trusty metal swords to this LARP event going on. Reenactors know what's up.

LARP IS more game like.
also safer

>safety
>he doesn't enjoy getting shot at by longbowmen and handgunners

Get a load of this kid

im just trying to convince myself im not missing much because i have no good reenactment group where i live.

I'm guessing you're in the USA, then?

worse
Israel

picasaweb.google.com/102150401639510130489/PatternsAndStuff

gjar-po.sk/~kassayova9c/the medieval tailor's assistant.pdf

bread and butter for a start. There are way more tutorials and patterns out there, these are just to get you started

Templar Order, brother. Bring the light of Christ back to the Holy Land, but for the purposes of entertainment!

Then why shoot pretend monsters when you can shoot real monsters?

I'll consider finding a group for that.
the only guy i know from that community is a huge neckbeard.

already served, went home to be a family man

it's always a possibility to create your own reenactment group. One could say it's easier than making your own larp

I don't think the currently existing folks that are somewhat invested in larping\reenactment would go for it.

I'm also kind of out of money for the time being with old town festival, Drachenfest, and then a local larp coming up in sequence.

it's not something you have to do ASAP.

anyway, which camp at DF?

Golden Camp.
I hear you are with the Landsknecht

yep. The well armed circus is the best camp for a lot of reasons. although I still don't speak german and this will be my fourth drachenfest

My vocab isnt that expensive either.
Schnell, Jawol, Ja, Shuandefruede, and that's about it.

this will be my second larp abroad (the first being OldTown Festival) so I dont know what to expect. other then fun and a burning hole in my wallet where my money used to be.

think about it this way: spending a week at DF is still cheaper than an average vacation.

And you can expect a lot of people, big battles, fuckton of germans, and jolly cooperations

>you can expect a lot of people, big battles, fuckton of germans, and jolly cooperations

All I wanted and more.

also in character and out of character is kind of blend into each other while you are inside of the camp but act natural, act like you are always in character and turn a blind side to people who go to the showers or toilets and stuff like that.

Also, follow the cock and swallow

Glorious

running Veeky Forums gag you can say it.

Anyway it's 1 am here and I have to go for terrain works on the weekend for our larp so I go and get some sleep now

See you in DF hopefully!
Goodnight.