What is your favorite alignment?

What is your favorite alignment?

Unaligned.

Chaotic in general

Doesn't that mean you're an animal who has no capacity to understand the concept of morality?

Unprincipled.

Alignments have nothing to do with morality.
They are just vague descriptors.

It means you're a real, normal person.

Gr8 b8 m8

Lawful Evil or Chaotic Good

They're both fun to play for their own reasons to me.

Chaotic Good you get to be a 2coolf4school hero

Lawful Evil you get to feel like Light from death note, hatching plans to get more power without doing anything anyone can actually tag you for being completely evil.

out of context i like lawful neutral.
but my favorite types of characters are very human chaotic neutral pcs with personal life goals they strive for alongside the adventuring.

>Favorites:
Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral

I really love playing CN characters, so I hate how it's basically considered the That Guy alignment.

>Least Favorites:
Lawful Neutral, Lawful Evil, True Neutral

Way I see it Alignments are the sum of a character's actions and the impact they have rather than their intent, motivations, or morals.

He's right if you're talking about anything before 3rd edition. Anything other than Neutral is extremism, plain and simple. Most characters given other alignments in 3rd, 4th, or 5th editions would only qualify as neutral in Basic or AD&D.

Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, and Neutral Evil are shit and unnecessary.

Prove me wrong.

You want people to prove you wrong you're gonna have to go into depth about why they're "shit and unnecessary".

Ball's still in your court cause you never bothered to throw it.

First day on the Internet?

Protip: you can't

Lawful Good. Because playing the Big Damn Hero is still the most fun way to play the game.

I thought Mal from Firefly :D

Neutral evil or Neutral good.

Chaotic buttsex

>Lawful Good licenseless rider gets the shit kicked out of him and leaves the work for the real heroes
>Captain America ends up getting assassinated at the end of Civil War and goes against his own countries orders for personal gain.
>Optimus Prime ends up dying multiple times across multiple incarnations, including one time where he allowed himself to self-destruct because he killed virtual creatures to take out megatron.

So I guess LG is the alignment for weaklings and suckers?

I'll be over here when you eventually kill yourself in the name of the "greater good."

This

It means that you don't swing too far in either direction and aren't involved in the power struggle between the four axis of the multiverse.

You're not a stick in the mud or a lolsorandumb sperg and you're neither a pushover or an asshole.

You're just a person, and that's all anyone can ever be.

>hide blackguard threads
>ignore blackguard posts
>do not reply to blackguard posters

Lawful or good, but rarely lawful good.

Neutral because I decide whether my character gives a shit or not, whatever the situation.

Someone's on fire? Maybe I'll help out. Maybe I'll decide it's not my problem.

>using alignments
If I have to, I usually prefer to start True Neutral and drift towards a flavor of good or evil, depending on the circumstances of the game.

Barring that, Lawful Good is a decent second choice for most characters (of the "I am a highly honorable and principled person who strives for the betterment of other peoples' lives" variety)

Not using arbitrary 3x3 charts to template something as complex as a person's codes of morality and ethics. I mean, it's literally two-dimensional.

>LG paladin has to adhere to strict rules and impossibly high standards at all times, only to fall when he shows his flawed humanity.
>CE blackguard can kill, rape, and pillage to his heart's content and only get stronger the more debauchery he engages in.

>[good] spells only restore damage to creation if they're [sanctified] but are otherwise only good at damaging undead and demons.
>[evil] spells can damage the multiverse with each cast, meaning that the more casters and blackguards there are, the faster the universe ends.

>Paladins can fall and only sink into despair once they realize their god doesn't love them.
>Antipaladins can only become stronger the more evil they perform.

Only fools decide to go LG.

Don't fret, the 9 hells are always open to down-on-their-luck pallies in need of a new career, even on holidays.

Well played

Bertrand Russell is laughing at you from beyond the grave.

The entire point of the Good spectrum is doing the right thing even if it's the hard thing.

Especially if it's the hard thing.

That's an appealing angle for a lot of people.

This guy has good opinions.

True Neutral had been very appealing to me recently, but I like all alignments pretty much equally. I guess I tend to avoid NG and NE, but that's not out of any dislike for them.

No, being gratified and praised is what's appealing to most people.

Once you take away the medals and the accolades and their companions, most "LG" people will turn bitter and start listening to the dark whispers in their heads.

You'll find some exceptions to the rule but they are just that, exceptions. Even the brightest light fades once it runs out of fuel to burn.

Luckily, evil has no baggage to carry with them, we can do what we want and not have to deal with any of it.

I'm just gonna hope you're RPing and you're not actually this much of a nihilistic (and fairly naive) sociopath.

When you wear a fedora long enough the fibers burrow their way into your brain.

Lawful Neutral.
No idea why, I just enjoy playing a solid citizen-type.

I remember one of these threads where some guy talked about a player he knew who described himself as "Lawful Evil in real life".

Oh I'm sorry, when was the last time you heard of someone like Stalin backing down because their families were in danger?

Never, because proper evil is all about seeing what you want and taking it, regardless of whatever sort of repurcussions they might have on someone else.

You LG types will trade life, limb, and health to protect everyone from the big bad demons yet when you're lying on the cobblestone, bleeding out, cold and afraid and faced with the encroaching darkness of oblivion, you realize that all that hard work was for nothing.

Your death serves our purposes in the long run, because one dead paladin means one less obstacle standing between us and our goals.

There's millions of demons being produced every moment but there's only one paladin as dedicated as you that's produced in a lifetime.

Never too late to switch sides though.

>2016
>playong a system with alignments

>least favorite LN
>Favorite CG

pls

Lawful good for good alignments
true neutral for neutral alignment
lawful evil for evil.

I guess I would put Lawful Evil as my favorite overall, simply because thats my current characters alignment.

>playing a game with alignments

>acknowledging that alignments are still a thing
>D&D

>Evil fag
PERHAPS THE REASON YOU SEE FIT TO DIMINISH THE VALUE OF JUSTICE IS BECAUSE IT REVEALS THE WEAKNESS YOU YOURSELF CARRY INSIDE THAT SHRIVELED LUMP OF FLESH YOU DARE CALL A HEART.

If you're not Lawful Good get out of my hood

Lawful Good of course.

Chaotic good or chaotic neutral.

MY NIGGAS

Did Bertrand Russell write any books for D&D?

Honestly, my biggest qualm with Good characters is that the DMs I have played with have made it so much more incredibly profitable to be good rather than evil that you are almost forced to be good.

Being good rarely requires a major sacrifice for them, and almost always returns with some fuck huge awesome magic weapons and shit. Being evil means going contrary to the party, risking being killed, and rarely obtaining the good rewards.

I love playing evil characters, I usually go lawful evil. But it has been MUCH harder to play evil than good characters because the deck is always stacked so much harder against me.

I have no idea if this is always the case, but it has been over the DMs that I have had. It's pretty annoying.

I'll give an example of loot that came out in the last game I played

>A brand new character to our game is LG Paladin and gets a +3 holy sword with an extra 2d8 radiant damage and some extra damage against anything evil
>He gets this because reasons

>LE Warlock has been in the game since the start, does evil shit on the down low so as to avoid the notice of the other mary sue good characters in the party
>has been concealing his power levels pretty well so far
>never obtains any special magical loot or anything that can benefit him while the rest of the party obtains shit like the aforementioned Paladin got

Are my DMs just shit or is this how things usually go down for playing evil characters? Because it has been extremely off putting.

I'm not sure libertarianism/ancapism is LG, and I say that as a very libertarian person myself

I mean there is the whole NAP thing and the idea that people can help eachother through charity without government intervention, but being critical of all authority, let alone anarchism, aren't very LG at all

More like NG/CG or NE/CE in some cases like le physical removal man

When I want to transition my characters from heroes to villains, I'll start them out as Chaotic Good. They will spend the entire campaign justifying their more and more ethically questionable methods as being for a good cause, until one day they cross the line and become Evil, all while retaining that sense that they are justified.

I generally hate most sport video games. Guess what I do? I don't play them.

Being evil in a mostly a good game is fucking annoying for everyone in involved. Also you're right, your GM is a shit for not slapping you and saying "no".

Final key point, you're evil, you're lawful evil. If you're going to do this than do it right. Don't worry about the gear, either make your own or better yet gather your own money to buy it. Evil is generally a shortcut through almost anything. Use it

I don't know about that. A lot of libertarian principles rely on strictly enforced social rules. Lawful doesn't mean statist.

*teleport behind you*
"Hehe... too easy..."

I think Stannis is more LN.

There is no way to "do it right" is the complaint here.

>manifest evil
>3 overgeared paladins in the party automatically turn on you and kill the shit out of you
>try to do evil things
>DM won't let you half of the time

There have been no "shortcuts" available to me. We get gold, but when I try to find gear or commission gear or find anything that would be useful to me, it gets shut down. The best kind of shit I have been able to get was some +1 armor and a ring of protection. Defend that when the DM will toss around +3 weapons and armor and shit to people who just started the game and did literally nothing to earn them.

Morality is highly subjective and remains a construct of human socitety to render those you don't like unmoral. A child doesn't follow morality for it's actions, it must be punished and molded by it's parents and the society it lives in to conform to the mold that society considers normal and 'moral'. No thanks, I'd rather be free to make my own choices, unfettered by normality and other peoples judgement of right and wrong.

I think the concept of libertarianism is pretty clearly neutral. It forbids harming others while at the same time doesn't require you to help those in need.

Then back to second point. Either your GM is an asshole, dumb, or they are trying to make your character turn over a new leaf.

There is also the chance that your GM thinks you have some grand evil plan thought out and he wants to protect the rest of the party.

Best and logical answer I can give you. Sit down with your GM and just ask what is really going on. Why did they let you play an evil character with a party filled with heroes? If he can't give you a decent answer then walk away.

Is he directly placing it in the characters hands, or what?

Now is the time to either take aside the DM like a responsible adult and discuss grievances, or petulantly smash the world while you still have the power to do so.

neutral good

This latest DM has been the most blatant, but it's been common across all 3 that I've had that it ends up being pretty hard to be evil and the rewards for being good are dramatically superior to anything you can get for being evil.

What I've really been trying to determine is if this kind of shit is normal or if I've just had some lame DMs. It appears to be leaning towards lame DMs.

In the previously discussed event, it was all but placed into his hands. The other 2 paladins were geared up with similar shit, but the new one was just new to the group. We walked into a room just after the new guy joined in, there was a sword hilt in a pedestal, and the new guy pulled it out and got it because "he was worthy." It felt pretty ridiculous.

Now that it sounds as if my DMs have just been shitty so far it makes me more inclined to just leave the game. I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum in game and start flinging spells around like an asshole for no reason, I'd rather just leave without a fuss instead of starting a shit storm. I'll just pull the guy aside before session next week and ask him what the deal is. I'm not really certain that he'll be mature about it, but if he's going to be a dick about it it's easier to just leave.

straight-up, yo. LN for life.

I'm no lolbercuck or anarkomemester and I resent the implication that I belong in the same moral category as them.

I have no need to devalue your naive notion of justice, your church does that role quite nicely.

You claim that we are evil and depraved while you burn villages and sodomize children.

You claim yourselves to be just, yet you've cornered the market of torture implements and gleefully use them on "heathens" who had the audacity to disagree.

You murder innocents and shun them from your light yet act surprised when we swoop in to give them purpose and an outlet to channel that rage and fear into vengeance.

You murder anyone you perceive as evil and never question why, because your church tells you that destruction is just when levied against the darkness.

Yet you'll still claim yourselves to be just and everyone whose lives you've ruined deserved it.

In truth, the only difference between you and I is that I won't waste time trying to justify my behavior or hide behind dogma to excuse my actions.

If I am hungry, I will feed.

If I am aroused, I will rape.

If I want something, then I will steal.

And I will never use my demonic roots to ever avoid claiming responsibility. I'm a monster and I love what I have become.

>Unaligned.
>It means that you don't swing too far in either direction and aren't involved in the power struggle between the four axis of the multiverse.
>You're not a stick in the mud or a lolsorandumb sperg and you're neither a pushover or an asshole.
>You're just a person, and that's all anyone can ever be.
So, Neutral?

>If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

*teleport behind you*
"Have to do better than that..."

good meme

Reminds me of when my LE mage was found out from the team paladin using detect evil at the worst time. Instead of fighting each other though, we ended up debating every once in awhile about the nature of morality and whether good and evil actually existed. And if it did exist, how well a paladin ability could really judge that.

>Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, and Neutral Evil are shit and unnecessary.
Alignments are shit and unnecessary.
You singling those specific ones out just makes you a colossal faggot.

Prove me wrong.

Actually, it means that you can do anything you want without having to worry about fitting into some restrictive 3x3 block that forces you to either be a goody-goody or a puppy kicking SOB.

Sometimes you'll donate extra pocket change to the church, sometimes you'll kick a puppy in anger, sometimes you'll feel bad and nurse the puppy back to health, sometimes you'll adopt the puppy and train it to become an awesome hunting buddy.

Yet you'll remain unaligned and free to do whatever you want.

>So I guess LG is the alignment for weaklings and suckers?
Your rhetoric is tired and sad, little man.
see

Infinitely preferable to Lawful Buttsex.

>Superman

>Routinely causes millions in property damage
>Murdered a man in cold blood
>Took over the world in several what if scenarios, including Injustice.
>Can perform such LG actions as lobotomizing people when they prove to be too much to handle.

Superman is perpetually one step away from flying off the handle and murdering everything he loves.

>Sometimes you'll donate extra pocket change to the church, sometimes you'll kick a puppy in anger, sometimes you'll feel bad and nurse the puppy back to health, sometimes you'll adopt the puppy and train it to become an awesome hunting buddy.
So, Neutral then?

>Actually, it means that you can do anything you want without having to worry about fitting into some restrictive 3x3 block that forces you to either be a goody-goody or a puppy kicking SOB.
I see, you are one of "those" anons that have no idea what you are talking about.
Action dictate alignments, alignments do not dictate actions.
Also, "even Hitler was good with his dogs."
LG can commit a CE action and NE can commit a CG action.
Being aligned does not necessarily mean being 100% perfectly aligned constantly always.

FOOL THAT DWELLS WITHIN THE REALM OF THE MOST BASE BEASTS, HEED THESE WORDS: I AM A SERVANT OF THE SONG, A LITANY THAT THRUMS WITH WHAT OUGHT TO BE AND NOT MERELY WHAT IS.

JUSTICE IS NOT A TOOL OF THE PALADIN, NOR IS IT THE OBLIGATION OF RELIGION; IT IS MERELY THAT WHICH IS APPOSITE TO THE ONE WHO TAKES UP THAT HEAVIEST OF MANTLES. A WEIGHT WE BEAR WILLINGLY, FOR THERE IS A SONG OF LOVE THAT MOVES ME FAR MORE STRONGLY THAN YOUR CRY OF FEAR AND HATE.

I FIND YOU PITIABLE, THING OF FILTH AND DISGUST, FOR ALL YOU HEAR ARE THE GRUNTS AND HOWLS THAT ARE A POOR MIMICRY OF SOMETHING FAR GRANDER.

>>Routinely causes millions in property damage
meh.
Not saying the original comics didn't have lulsy stupid examples of this, but damage happens.
And just because nobody reads comics about superheros going back to literally mend fences, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

>>Murdered a man in cold blood
Whosits?

>>Took over the world in several what if scenarios, including Injustice.
So did your mom.

>>Can perform such LG actions as lobotomizing people when they prove to be too much to handle.
A LG government would be perfectly capable of doing the same thing and remaining LG.
Not all of LG is nice and pleasant.

>Superman is perpetually one step away from flying off the handle and murdering everything he loves.
Exactly the point.
Superman has the power to crush everyone and everything and is under extraordinary stress having to live in a world made of crystal and tissue paper, and hardly ever even lashes out a little.

Whichever alignment would best compliment the group, really.

I tend to gravitate to Neutral Good, though.

You are but one man standing against the rising tide of darkness paladin.

Your song won't save you and your words are merely that, words.

Words can convey a wide array of messages but in my centuries of life, I've made men such as you crawl on their knees and beg me for mercy.

Sometimes, I even convert them to one of my kind and bolster my ranks with their power, and let me tell you, a paladin is always the most interesting because once you've cracked through their ego, they're all merely men wrapped in steel and leather and furs and capes and years of forced programming made to drown out their humanity and replace it with the minds of soldiers.

I've seen their every memories, the first time they murdered an innocent on orders of their church, the first time they felt numb after confronting the evils of their church, the first time they killed again and told themselves "it's for the greater good."

They take to the darkness like a fish to water, in fact, they are happy when the process is complete because for the first time in their lives, they feel complete and total freedom, unshackled by the expectations of man and faith and allowed to act upon their instincts.

I'm sure that beneath that booming confidence, you're simply a child who was forced to grow up and forced to hide everything about yourself to life within the world you were born in.

Maybe one day I'll welcome you to the fold, I'll even let you feel as if you went down fighting a good fight.

>Not saying the original comics didn't have lulsy stupid examples of this, but damage happens.

It's not just the comics though.

In JLU, Superman and Captain Marvel (Shazam) destroyed an entire city just by fighting one another, this was also under the false assumption that Luthor was producing a bomb to detonate.

In Man of Steel, Superman and Zodd's fight destroyed the bulk of Metropolis and probably murdered millions of innocent people in the process.

In another JL episode, Superman was willing to let Brainiac assimilate Apokolips (I know I fucked the name up somehow) just because he was too clouded by anger to realize that allowing Brainiac to assimilate one of the most hostile worlds in the galaxy wasn't the best idea to make.

>Whosits?

Zodd

>So did your mom.

...okay?

>A LG government would be perfectly capable of doing the same thing and remaining LG.

So can a LE government.

>Not all of LG is nice and pleasant.

Then how is it LG?

>Superman has the power to crush everyone and everything and is under extraordinary stress having to live in a world made of crystal and tissue paper, and hardly ever even lashes out a little.

Except for the aforementioned times when he flew off the handle and caused millions in unnecessary damage and murdered people.

>Captain America ends up getting assassinated at the end of Civil War and goes against his own countries orders for personal gain.

I HAVEN'T SEEN CIVIL WAR YET FUCK

>[pssh-ing intensifies]

That's the end of the comic arc of the same name. Cap lives through the movie because Disney owns Evans' soul for next two decades

chaotic good several times over
the themes and creatures aligned with it just fit perfectly with me

minus the LGBT bullshit they try to attach to it (I actually like rainbows; I don't get why they're always the designated gay insignia).

arborea/arvandor as the afterlife sounds perfect to me

Hope springs eternal, and perfection being impossible is no reason to give up on it.

TL;DR, you're a pleb.

Don't associate those whelps with us, they only commit evil because it's "in style."

When confronted with true evil, they fold like laundry and lose their minds shortly aftertwards.

They're only tolerable when they're being prostrated and taught the true meaning of the word, often through force.

I tend to gravitate towards LG, NG and LN, depending on the occasion and the character I play.
I consider getting to play LE a privilege, but my PF group banned me from playing it because I managed to make Moloch worship the state religion by making it all about honor, duty and protecting the people's rights in our Kingmaker campaign. Also, eternal walhalla fighting for the good cause. It was way too fun, though.

No but he did adequately demonstrate why the burden of proof is on the one making a claim, not the one opposing it.

I'm now thinking of Bertrand Russel writing an essay titled: "Burden of proof: the prove me wrong user is always a faggot".

>In JLU, Superman and Captain Marvel (Shazam) destroyed an entire city just by fighting one another, this was also under the false assumption that Luthor was producing a bomb to detonate.
That was an empty, new contruction that Luther had just built that Superman had every reason to believe was about to be destroyed anyway.
He was a wrong little puppet, and it was not his finest hour, but it's not like they wiped out Metropolis.

>In Man of Steel, Superman and Zodd's fight destroyed the bulk of Metropolis and probably murdered millions of innocent people in the process.
As opposed to letting Zodd kill whoever he pleased?
Ideally, he would have lured Zodd away like in Superman II, but Zodd was less of a mook that time.

>let Brainiac assimilate Apokolips
A tactical error, nothing more.

>>Whosits?
>Zodd
Oh, you mean how he did the only thing he could to stop a murderous zealot from killing an innocent family?
Yeah, he "killed a man in cold blood" is a strange way of phrasing that he killed someone in battle where it was innocents lives in danger instead of his own.

>>So did your mom.
>...okay?
Alternate worlds are pointlessly alternate.

>So can a LE government.
So he could be LE. But he isn't.

>>Not all of LG is nice and pleasant.
>Then how is it LG?
By being Lawful and Good, not necessarily Nice and Pleasant.
Seriously, this is not hard.

>Except for the aforementioned times when he flew off the handle and caused millions in unnecessary damage and murdered people.
Meh to the damage.
He didn't murder anyone.
He killed Zod in battle and if anyone else died in the battle, they are casualties of Zod's aggression, not murdered by Superman.

Chaotic Neutral. To hell with the rules! I am just another animal, just with more wits. It is not in my nature to obey or understand the rules. I am the almighty egoist and I believe that society is only trying to put me down.

YOU SPEAK OF MY STANDING AGAINST THE DARKNESS AS A LONESOME TOIL, UNAWARE OF YOUR OWN BLINDNESS AS YOU SPEAK TO OTHERS OF THEIRS: THERE IS A REASON PALADINS ARE OF FLAME, SONG, AND LIGHT, PATHETIC SHADE.

YOU SPEAK OF CORRUPTING THE LIGHT WHICH HAS GONE OUT, AND CROW YOUR VICTORY WHILST UPON A LAND OF COAL AND OIL. BUT THE FLAMES ARE CATCHS, THE SONG GROWS, AND LIGHT SPREADS AS EASILY AS IGNITING A MATCH.

WE SHALL LIGHT THE PATHS OF THOSE BEFORE, AND THOSE WHO TREAD AFTER US. FOR WE ARE OF THE LITANY, AND OURS IS THE SONG WHICH SHALL UNMAKE THE SCARS OF YOUR HATE.

I'd read that.