“It’s myopic to believe that servicing a very small slice of our audience is the way to go ahead...

>“It’s myopic to believe that servicing a very small slice of our audience is the way to go ahead. That’s not what we’re in the business for. What we’re trying to do is reach the biggest audience and be as successful as possible.”

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2013/05/30/books/comics-mother-of-the-weird-stuff-is-moving-on.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's the problem with that?

Hypocrisy has always been a fundamental aspect of business and government practice. That's what Marketing is for.

And publicly boasting about diversity will accomplish that how exactly?
By all means, make your characters diverse so they're easier to remember, I don't care, but it's not going to make them any more relatable. If someone can't feel empathy for a character who doesn't look like them, it sounds like they're a racist sociopath.

>servicing a very small slice of our audience is the way to go ahead
Well, caving in to the loud grognards with a hateboner for 4e did result in a following edition that satisfied them for the most part, but could also be enjoyed by others, so they might not be exactly right there.

Assuming that the audience can be sliced, why not service all the slices in different ways instead of targeting only the largest slice, or am I misunderstanding what is happening?

The majority of people hated 4E and left it in droves for Pathfinder, OSR and other games.

5E did the right thing in abandoning most of 4E terrible design decisions.

And yet we can't see high dollar reprints because of a very small slice of their audience.

Kind of the opposite. They abandoned the solid design of 4e and brought back some of the terrible design from 3.5 to trick the people who couldn't stand anything else into playing something okay

>What is the reserve list
>What is 4e
>What is $10 booster packs
>What is old uncommons at mythic.
>What is (insert Jewish price increase here)

>"Servicing a very small slice of our audience is bad."
>"We can't get rid of the Reserved List or reprint money cards in larger quantities because it would make the very small slice of our audience that treats Magic like an investment mad."

I think we can all agree that they replaced bad with bad. Which is worse? Time will tell...

They do not strike down the reserve list because they fear expensive lawsuits. These costly legal actions would hinder their ability to aggressively pursue the biggest slice of the pie.

In some roundabout way, I suppose they are beholden to a small slice in some respects, but it all comes down to the big slice and related concerns.

What "solid design" did they abandon exactly?

>hoping to open some sweet EMA cards
>get some shitty unplayanle djinn in the rare slot
>thunderclap wyvern in the uncommon slot
At least these cards will be fun in Draft(tm)!

>The majority of people hated 4E and left it in droves for Pathfinder
It was well liked enough to outsell 3.5 when it was released

4e's Encounter Design was an accurate tool to measure how dangerous an enemy group would be, and you could run every enemy with just its stat block. 5e's encounter design and stat blocks are a huge step backwards for the brand.

I don't play Magic, but is OP upset that Magic art nowadays has black people and women on it, or is there something else currently bothering him

People bought it, realised it was shit, and moved onto 3.PF

I'm rooting for the Chinese counterfeiters at this point. There will come a time when real will be completely indistinguishable from fake at which point they'll have to focus on actually making the game better instead of trying to protect the """"""""""""""""""""investors""""""""""""""""""".

But I'd love to hear how a +$1000 barrier to entry in competitive scenes is actually good for the game.

This idea bothers me:

>Sacrificing your core audience to evil gods because they promised you universal appeal in return.

That's a pointlessly antagonistic way of putting it

>People bought it, realised it wasn't what they had grown used to, and moved back to 3.PF

Isn't that nicer? No pointless insults in regards to the same series of events

Wizards should just officially endorse No Reserved List Legacy. The Reserved List stays in tact and reprints of RL cards as a barrier to play becomes a non-issue.

Magic fucking sucks now.

If that's the case, nobody tell OP that Magic has had black people and women in it for over two decades now. Might have a heart attack.

>being mad jews gonna jew.
user plz, i don't even hate them, i piy them for their inability to actually figure ou who the fuck is actually buying shit or who is their loyal fanbase.

I hate this

4e filled an empty void in the world of tabletop RPGs, and it hasn't really been filled since.

Strike tried, but unfortunately it's marred by tons of fucking awful design decisions like driving an impenetrable wedge between combat and non-combat in an effort to be more like a JRPG and limiting everything to a d6 to ensure the swingiest results possible

Christ, that is some ridiculous peal-clutching over a slight change in marketing.

If Mirage came out today, assholes would complain that its SJW pandering.

I just want new art for evolving wilds. It's my only land fetch Land and I'm tired of the same art for 3 years.

An african theme block with Black people is very different from black Transylvanian vampires.

Or black female Socrates

The easy fix to this is to simply allow 8-10 proxies at Legacy tournaments.

Is this an actual quote or just bait? Honestly curious. I haven't played MTG seriously, beyond a few commander games vs my nephews, since the end of the first Mirrodin Block.

I don't see a problem with that

I see a big problem with that

user, nobody was angry at 4e over its god damn encounter design; they certainly didn't scrap it to attract the 3.X crowd.

I took an actual quote, and modified it a little. The original quote comes from a highly placed individual in the comic book industry.

I think the quotation can shed light on the motivations of those who steer our ships of games.

>I took an actual quote, and modified it a little.
So, no. Its not an actual quote. Just bait.

Here's the original in case you are curious:

>Mr. DiDio said it would be “myopic” to believe “that servicing a very small slice of our audience is the way to go ahead.”

>“That’s not what we’re in the business for,” he added. “We have to shoot for the stars with whatever we’re doing. Because what we’re trying to do is reach the biggest audience and be as successful as possible.”

nytimes.com/2013/05/30/books/comics-mother-of-the-weird-stuff-is-moving-on.html

My purpose was not to provoke ire, but rather dialogue.

>Karen Berger is leaving Vertigo

Well shit; can't blame her but now I'm a little depressed.

Think I might go make a Nobilis thread later today to commiserate.

Well, what fucking colour would you make them? Green?

Tabletop gaming is a niche hobby and is best served by small businesses which are tied to the community beyond simply a desire to sell product.

This.
Also is south saharans as Mediterranean, which is typical SJW racism.

Seconded. I miss accurate encounter building. As a dm, I enjoyed putting together encounters the most. 5th is a tummy feels kinda system.

>I don't see a problem with racism and race suppression (therm we made up) as long it's with blacks lol

Average SJW.

Are you retarded, or just pretending? He wasn't talking about the mana color

>Are you retarded, or just pretending?
I feel like that should be Veeky Forums's motto.

it is already is, retard.

You're kidding right? Thing has 5 or 6 arts now.

Yes! Creature - Ape

Games are both a media AND a social circle,
so you need any kind of game from niche to conventional.

4e is the worst mistake of all time, not because of what it is, but because it indirectly lead to Pathfinder. Pathfinder is an abomination.

They're only sacrificing the core audience if you believe the entirety of core magic players can't stand women and minorities on their cards. If you DON'T believe that, they are instead only a portion of their core audience.

she left in 2013 user

Okay, good one

Conspiracy's pretty sick.

I don't see either of you complaining about the fact that there were white people in Theros despite the fact that actual Greeks were and are swarthy as fuck.