Superhero Quest Issue #1

Traffic was being a pain in the ass and for some reason your rented hybrid car was acting up so just decided to say screw it and fly to work today.
It was actually easier then you thought it would be; back in Freedom City you get all kinds of people looking up into the sky for a glimpse of heroes, especially tourists. Over here in the prosperous and sleepy Pacific Northwest metropolis Emerald City it's a lot more like other places in the world; nobody really bothers looking UP so nobody notices you flying overhead.
It's a beautiful spring afternoon and the sun is shining in you and your golden artificial wingspan so obviously you begin singing to yourself as you fly through the air and do some relaxing aerobatics,
So sue you; some folks sing in the shower, you sing while flying by your lonesome.

"~I am so high, I can hear Heaven. I am so high, I can hear Heaven.~" you say to yourself, fondly remembering that movie you saw as teenager as you slowly perform a lazy loop and see seagulls flying above you.
"~Wooooah but Heaven...no Heaven don't hear meeee~!"
youtu.be/8TQKjz-fRME
Literally the only Nickelback song I ever liked.

Superhero Quest is a reboot of an earlier quest attempt that I had to stop because being homeless sucks. It uses the setting of Mutants and Masterminds though like my other quests will not adhere too strongly to the rules though all characters will have stats in the system
It's nice to hear everyone again, by the way.

>Jack's Stats and History
pastebin.com/ma75SghD
>Freedomverse Terminology
pastebin.com/NXqTnx0v

Yo Sage!

"~And they say that a HERO TO SAVE US, I'm not gonna stand here and waaaaait~!" you sing to yourself as you join in mid-air with a flock of seagulls cawing as you sing.
"~I hold onto to the WINGS OF THE EAGLES, watching it all fly aaaaawaaaay~!" you say as you gaze over the Pacific Northwest city.
You heard it was supposed to rain all the time out here, why's it so sunny?
Maybe it's a seasonal thing.

>WDYD?
>You honestly could stand to be a BIT late. It's too nice a day to not punch s bad guy in the face if you can find one. [Goof-Off/"Patrol"]

>Alright, funtime's over. Your straight job has responsibilities too, especially today of all days. [Head to Work]

Sup Sleepy.

>>You honestly could stand to be a BIT late. It's too nice a day to not punch s bad guy in the face if you can find one. [Goof-Off/"Patrol"]

>>Alright, funtime's over. Your straight job has responsibilities too, especially today of all days. [Head to Work]
Excited to see ya back mate.

>Alright, funtime's over. Your straight job has responsibilities too, especially today of all days. [Head to Work]
Gotta keep that secret identity

O hey Sage.

Excited to BE back.
Especially now that I'm in a position do what I was doing before not reliably.

why aren't you just on qst?
no samefagging alone is worth the move.

>>Alright, funtime's over. Your straight job has responsibilities too, especially today of all days. [Head to Work
cool

Like many classic superheroes, Jack has formed a habit of internally monologing to himself.

Having a secret identity that actually has real responsibilities is a new thing to you these past three years; in high school all you were was a student so you had plenty of time off to do "extracurricular" work, and as an Agent of AEGIS you were so busy doing a more legit version of what you already did that you didn't really have TIME for a civilian life.
If you weren't so handy with machines and you hadn't gotten your degrees while serving you probably wouldn't have been able to set up the life you have had now for the past three years. Still, having an ACTUAL job outside of superheroic shit takes getting used to, especially since being Freedom Eagle doesn't pay for himself.

You envy Fletch his fortune sometimes; his job as publisher is really just his "beard" while he suits up and does cape stuff with the Freedom League and hits on everything with two legs and ovaries.

You reach the multi-story skyscraper in the downtown area and eye the place from above; how to get inside?

>WDYD?
>Just enter through the mostly empty penthouse, nobody will be in here right now since
>Find a spot near the bottom floor, come up where everyone can see you go in.

Truth be told I didn't even know about it until I started posting just now. I haven't had much time to visit Veeky Forums at all.
I might move this thing over to it eventually but I'd rather not do that at the moment.

Also, can /qst/ even archive stuff?

Suptg has /qst/ support.

Don't answer them.

Yes.

It does, but it's slow you lose about half your audience and the anti-quest shitposters have followed and are just as toxic with none of the moderation.

Nice to see Veeky Forums hasn't changed.
And by "nice" I meant the other word.

>>Find a spot near the bottom floor, come up where everyone can see you go in.

Reassuring. He meant reassuring.

You zoom your TechMask to a nearby alley where you can change and gracefully swoop straight down to reach it quietly and without being seen.
Stopping moments above the ground with an upturning swoop of your golden Pseudometal wingspan you gently land on your hands and knees and rapidly begin changing out of costume into your civilian clothes a skill you mastered at some point when you were seventeen.
You put on a simple gray T-short and jeans and smooth back your jet black hair as you tuck away your stuff into a workout bag and walk out of the alleyway into the office plaza.

Standing in front of the door is Glory, who looked exasperated and furious with you all at once.
Gloria Lynn is your executive assistant, which is like a secretary but with a higher pay grade and more responsibilities and with an MBA at a major business school.
She also knows your secret identity, mostly because you told her literally the day you hired her upfront because you knew keeping it from her would be impossible and that it would be simpler to just let her in on the secret.

Didn't much improve her attitude though.
"Where the HELL have you been Jack!?"

>WDYS?
>"Evening Glory. My you look lovely this morning!" [Charming]
>"Flying." [Honest]
>"Relax, I've got time to spare." [Reassuring]

>>"Relax, I've got time to spare." [Reassuring]

>>"Relax, I've got time to spare." [Reassuring]

>>"Evening Glory. My you look lovely this morning!" [Charming]

"You know, do I ever bring up how sexy you look when you make that frowny face when you're angry at me?" you say, changing the subject.
"Only literally every single time you do this immature little thing you do," she says flatly, totally unimpressed by your practiced disarming charm.

Glory paid for her MBA by being an a model originally, so she looks awfully good for a Super-Secretary, but your flirting with her is always just a way to get her to relax as you greatly value her professional assistance.
She was reluctant at first to take a high-powered secretarial position, but after you explained that not only would she be running pretty much half of the company she would also be keeping a superheroic secret identity she accepted the job; as a Freedonian native like you she knew the deal with secret identities and how to keep them.
You once heard the crazy statistic that one in every 1000 people in Freedom City knows at least ONE superhero, weather they are aware of it or not.
Plus you were willing to give her three times the starting pay any junior exec would get and any job recommendation she wanted if she wanted to quit.

Once she SORT of came onto you after an office party and she'd had a lot to drink, but you shut that down faster then that nuclear bomb that one time in Mumbai.
Not that that would be hard since there was only five seconds left on it.

"What the hell are you wearing?"

>WDYD?
>"Is my costume showing?" [Concern]
>"Casual chic?" [Honest]
>"Oh NOW you notice my outfit." [Flirt]

>"Casual chic?" [Honest]
...Wait

>>"Casual chic?" [Honest]
>>"Oh NOW you notice my outfit." [Flirt]

>...Wait
>>"Is my costume showing?" [Concern]

>>"Oh NOW you notice my outfit." [Flirt

>"Casual chic?" [Honest]

>>"Is my costume showing?" [Concern]
if it's not

>"Casual chic?" [Honest]

"T-shirt, grey. Jeans?" you say, not getting it. "Crap, my costume isn't showing is it? Sometimes I forget to take the pants off."
"Jack, this is a PRESS MEETING. It's not just opening up the offices and labs, it's a walkthrough of the building to get local folks interested in Freedom Enterprises so we can get some publicity over MarsTech and KessKorp!" she says in annoyance.

"Oh shit, seriously?" you say in genuine surprise. Sometimes the media aspects of this job throw you off; it was Glory's idea to sell the idea of YOU as much as your company turning you into some kind of Elon Musk/Steve Jobs if they used to be a superspy sort of person.
You aren't really overly fond of the media stuff (just makes it harder to keep the secret ID a secret in your book), but it's really fantastic for business.

You hear from Glory that there's memes about you out there. Something about your ass you think?

>WDYD?
>"Screw it, I'll stick with casual." [Confident]
>"Backup suit?" [Change]

>"Backup suit?" [Change]

>>"Backup suit?" [Change]

>"Backup suit?" [Change]

>"Backup suit?" [Change]

>"Screw it, I'll stick with casual." [Confident]

It's worked before

>>"Screw it, I'll stick with casual." [Confident]

"So you had contingencies for this right?" you say hopefully as you walk through the lobby with her towards the express elevator to the top four floors of the Emerald Plaza Building which are bought up by your company, with the final floor being the penthouse you're planning on converting to more office space for your company.

"You mean did I anticipate you goofing off instead of taking my calls again? Yes Jack; it's why you pay as much as you do," she says, holding out a suit as the pair of you get in the private elevator.

"Thanks, you're an angel," you say as you immediately begin de-shirting yourself and undressing to get into your suit right there in front of her at the elevator.
She politely looks away, but to her credit does not blush; she's seen you do this routine before, and is no longer impressed by your high-intensity exercise physique, though you note she still makes a point to ignore it while you change even if she's seen it all before.

"So, am I on straight?" you ask as you straighten your blue tie and face her. "How do I look?"
She looks you up and down and sighs, as if unwilling to admit it.

"Perfect Jack. You look perfect," she says in a fairly annoyed tone of voice you've heard before.

"Awesome," you agree.
As you arrive at the office lobby for Freedom Enterprises Emerald City Division and face the media folks who have been invited to ask questions, mostly a few local journalists and news stations.

They all clamor for your attention as you wave at them and smile as genuinely as you can.
Seriously, you REALLY hate the playing to the camera thing, but Glory says your stock price jumps up a point and a half or something every time you smile or crack a joke or whatever.

The reporter waiting is obviously designed to get your attention; it's a REALLY cute Asian girl (you're guessing Korean by the look) wearing glasses and professional business skirt with her camera crew nearby.

"About time you," she begins in an irritated tone and stops and looks you up and down briefly.

>WDYD?
>"Sorry, had to straighten myself out." [Flirtatious]
>"Yeah, my cab driver had NO idea where he was going." [Charming/Bluff]
>"My bad. Late night." [Honest]

So, just to be clear, we're basically Tony Stark, yeah?

If we are then can we be less of a douche?

>>"Sorry, had to straighten myself out." [Flirtatious]

>"Short, had to straighten myself out."

Isnt that what we're doing? We don't seem particularly douchey.

What's the point of being Tony Stark if you're not gonna be a snide asshole?

Absolutely not.
He has a fraction of the money, his business interests are different and he's actually interested in them.
He's a composite of several different characters, but the strongest influence on him visually, mentally, and physically is Dick Grayson in his various stages of life.
He DOES flirt with women and tends to have relatively casual sexual relationships, but does not treat sex slightly and is up-front that he considers his job (and his superhering career in secret) his primary focus in life, not wanting to treat them with disrespect or lie to them.
He does what he does because he genuinely is a decent human being who idealistically wants to help the world and contributes to it in different ways; he isn't driven by vengeance or guilt or remorse for something he did despite his tragic early backstory.

His power set is basically completely different too, but is most heavily based on Hawkman.
Suffice to say, I read a motherfuckload of comics and you will find MANY comic book references in this quest, most of them not immediately obvious unless you're very well-read....meaning you're familiar with more then the just the movies of comic books.

Also, just to satiate my autism, Tony Stark being a snide asshole is literally only about as recent as Robert Downy Jr's portrayal of him in the Iron Man films as he injected much of his own personality into the character.
In the comics Stark was very different beforehand and when he was acting as Iron Man he had such a completely different personality that most people were extremely surprised to find that they were even the same person.

Sage, we LITERALLY have black-haired Pepper Pots as a secretary.

You have a black MOVIE-influenced Pepper Potts.
And her name is a composite of two separate existing comics characters, neither of which most people even on /co/ are particularly familiar with these days.

I've been reading comics going all the way back to the 1960's since I was five.
I have what you might call a VERY broad range of information to draw from, even moreso then my wuxia shit.

"Sorry, my cab driver was all over the place," you say with a shrug.
"Well that's what you get for hiring a cab in Emerald City," she says, rolling her eyes.
"Do you not do that here?" you say, blinking and pretending to be confused. "Traffic congestion in New York and Freedom City is nuts."
"No, we just drive here Mister O'Connors," she says with a wry smile.

"Jack's fine, Miss....?" you ask and reach for her hand.
"Moon. Linda Moon, Channel 12," she says with a pleasant smile as she shakes back.

Eventually the camera gets rolling and she starts asking questions rapid fire as you tour the new facilities.

"So, first you're an heir to the Mayor of America's most famous city, then you're a high school valedictorian are a prestigious private school, then you're a federal agent, now your a multi-millionaire business owner? What gives? Do you have an adversity to standing still or something?" she says, none too politely.
Oh, this is gonna be one of THOSE kind of interviews, huh?

>"I get bored easily," [Flippant]
>"I'm just trying to serve my country and people as best as I can." [Idealistic]
>"You left out one part about my life there." [Honest]

>"You left out one part about my life there." [Honest]

Is this really an option to go full "I am Iron Man here?"

Faggot

>>"You left out one part about my life there." [Honest]

No, but rather then putting on a show or giving a line he's being honest about his feelings and motivations. Jack's secret identity is not just HIS secret identity, and thus he does his best to keep it secret because he doesn't feel it's entirely his right to reveal it.
For his fully history you can check the pastebin link I gave you; aside from his stats in the M&M system it also has a pretty damn extensive backstory in there.

One question about that pastebin story. I keep seeing her instead of his. Why?

I wrote it at three o'clock last morning while bleary-eyed and insomniac.
My brain clearly kept getting mixed signals. I'll have to fix them sometime.

The QM was homless? Thats rough buddy and I hope that your doing much better now.

"Maybe I get bored really easily?" you say casually, causing Glory to roll her eyes in annoyance behind the camera crew.

Moon is neither convinced nor amused.
"You joined AEGIS directly out of high school, which is already very rare even if it IS known to happen sometimes. You became a field agent for five years and broke more case closure records that we can publicly see then Horatio Powers did before HE became Senior Director of AEGIS. By all reports you were an exemplary federal agent even if sometimes you attracted a lot more media attention then normal, such as when you engaged a superhuman terrorists in hand to hand combat with no weapons on the public news to distract him from setting off a bomb," she says, reciting off rapid-fire facts.

Damn. She's actually a pretty good reporter.
And here you thought this was gonna be a puff piece.

"I left my gun at home that day," you joke. "And he was in really bad shape for a supervillain."

"Even after you left many of your software products are contracted out to AEGIS at a considerable discount, and I have it on good evidence that you actually INVENTED the modern version of the AEGIS bodysuit currently in use by the agency," she continues.

"I didn't choose the aesthetics though, becuause yowch," you interrupt with a wince.

"What I'm getting at Mister O'Connor's is I have a hard time believing someone with five years of service to his country like that would suddenly leave for no reason at all because he's 'bored'." she points out.

>WDYS?
>"I dunno, five years is a long time to do one thing." [Flippant. Still.]
>"I actually though I could better serve my country in the private sector doing this stuff." [Idealistic]
>"I wasn't exactly comfortable with all the work I had to do with AEGIS." [Honest]

>"I wasn't exactly comfortable with all the work I had to do with AEGIS." [Honest]

Also: Welcome back Sage, i was here in your last quest attempt, its good to have you back.

Have a home now, so yeah.

>>"I wasn't exactly comfortable with all the work I had to do with AEGIS." [Honest]

You pause for a second before answering.
"I wanted to serve my country, but after awhile I wasn't really comfortable with some of the work I had to do at AEGIS," you answer honestly.

"Such as?" she pressures relentlessly.

"I'm not actually at liberty to say unless you have the correct security clearance," you say as politely as you can. "All I can say is that I was okay with the law enforcement stuff I did, but these were the days after 9/11 and everything was kind of hectic overseas. I decided to do as much good as I thought I could do before stopping at a point where any skilled agent could replace my position."

"What of the critics who say you stopped serving your country to line your own pocketbook?" she shoots out immediately.

"I think they maybe need to look at who my major clients are; I sell my stuff yeah, but I keep it at a reasonable price. Technology, software, computer science aid. Stuff I could give to AEGIS without feeling bad about them using it. And then give to everyone else because it's not top-secret black operations stuff," you say honestly.

"So you're not making like Arwin Kessler?" she says sharply.

Your face goes impassive momentarily.
Arwin Kessler was a former agent of AEGIS who worked in the research sciences division and then eventually after after years of service to create local industrial chemicals and technology giant Kessler Industrial Technologies, or KessKorp.
Over and over again as an agent of AEGIS you ran into evidence that KessKorp was selling illegal black market super-science on the sly to literally anyone who could pay, but it was always nearly impossible to gather anything other then circumstantial evidence. The fact that the Pentagon was one of his favored clients didn't help either; they were never fond of AEGIS at all and sometimes you think they blocked investigative routes out of spite.
Recently KessKorp came under investigation by a group of reporters that you're guessing might have included Miss Moon here.

"I can't say," you say neutrally. "I never met the man myself and he left the agency before I joined. I can say we're better about green technologies and take out our recycling more then our garbage, which I hear KessKorp is not as keen on, but that's about it."

Behind you Glory gives you a smile and a nod for your nice neutral answer that still makes you look better.

Turns out you're unable to help yourself though.
"I CAN say that unlike Arwin Kessler I didn't leave AEGIS one step head of ethnics investigations. I resigned as an agent in good standing with half a decade of dedicated field service to the agency and my country."
Glory winces; you know she wouldn't want you to so openly antagonize a massive local player like KessKorp, whatever your personal feelings are on the company's owner and founder.
But screw it, chances are you'd piss him off sooner or later anyway.

"So that's it then? You changed careers because you were bored? Now you're a multi-millionaire before you even hit thirty, so what's next?"

>WDYS?
>"Wanna find out together?" [Flirt]
>"The future, obviously." [Idealistic]
>"Not sure. I'd like to think I can continue my public service as a private citizen." [Honest]

>one step head of ethnics investigations
*one step ahead of ETHICS investigations

It's nice to see my crappy spelling hasn't changed.

>>"The future, obviously." [Idealistic]

Feel free to throw in a tiny flirt at the end, so far weve been rather bland personality wise.

yeah lets do that

"The future, clearly," you say.
"And what exactly is in the future?" she asks, still unimpressed and professional.
"Wanna find out together?" you say, quirking your head to one side with a smile directed right at her.

That sets her off her game briefly.
"I'm...I'm sorry?" she says, not believing that you just hit on her right in front of the camera. "Emerald City and me. We'll all find out together what we can accomplish,' you swiftly recover, pretending that she misconstrued your comment as meaning something else.
But you know she finds you attractive now.

"Oh, uh, *ahem*. Of course," she says as you lead the way into the labs.
The tour of the labs as they are being set up is successful and professional, with you explaining various projects without going heavy into company details, all while remaining as charming as possible.
After the interview Moon is wrapping up her microphone and lets out a sigh.

"Well you certainly give a good speech Mister O'Connors," she admits, not quite smiling but certainly not as initially antagonistic as she started.
"Like I said; Jack's fine. 'Mister O'Connors' is my uncle to me," you say with a nod.
"Fine then," she says in a way that says she's not convinced that she'll ever use your first name. "You definitely aren't what I expected."
"Oh yeah?" you ask scratching below your chin.
"Yes. I expected a younger version of Max Mars, preening, obfuscating, flamboyant, and managing to talk quite a bit without saying anything at all," she admits. "You manage to come off like you actually believe half of the stuff you say, but I still think you're kind of keeping some of the mystery to yourself."

>WDYS?
>"I'm not that complicated. Want to find out more about me somewhere else?" [Ask Out]
>"What's your beef with Mars anyway?" [Curious]
>"It's okay. Asking hard question is actually something I admire in reporters." [Reassuring]

>"It's okay. Asking hard question is actually something I admire in reporters." [Reassuring]

>"I'm not that complicated. Want to find out more about me somewhere else?" [Ask Out]

"I didn't actually mind. I walked in here expecting to bored and answering easy questions to pad out a puff piece, you acted like an actual reporter," you say, nodding. "And here I keep getting told investigative journalism is dying." "Not for some folks," she says with a smile as she roots around in her purse for something.
"So what's your beef with Max Mars anyway? I heard he's basically the local Bill Gates, pulled the city out of serious economic hard times in the 90's and made it a place to be again," you ask, curious about your competition in the market.
MarsTech is ridiculously more successful then your own company is, but you've never been one to back down from something because you thought it might be difficult.

"You mean aside from all that other stuff I just said? He's an egomaniac for one. Sure he's helped out the city but he just suddenly appeared out of nowhere as this massive computer genius in the early 90's and starts inventing all this stuff that helps his company keep apace with Microsoft throughout the 90's and now outpaces both Microsoft AND Apple? Nobody just materializes out of thin air, but he seemed to," she says distractedly as she roots around in her purse still. "Uugh, where's the damn chapstick!"
"I thought he did a lot of charity work and stuff like that?" you say, reaching around into your pocket.
"He does, but he always gets something out of it too. Usually good publicity. Sometimes more."

You tap her on the shoulder and hold out a stick of chapstick from you back pocket.
She gives an "ah!" as she takes it and re-applies some to her mouth, pursing her lips in a way that makes her look awfully cute.
She hands it back but you shake your head.
"Keep it," you say with a small smile.
She pauses, and there's a moment that hangs awkwardly. Awkwardly for her anyway.

"Um...," she begins.
"Hmm?" you intone, the knowing smile never leaving your face.
"What?" she says, looking up at you.
"I didn't say anything," you say again, still smiling.

You just let the pause hang there while you smile at her. It's a lot funnier honestly.
"So uh *ahem*, if you ever want to do another interview for my blog, here's my business card," she says, handing you one as professionally as she can.

"Starting your own business then?" you ask.
"Well I'm a Millennial like you, how else am I ever going to make a decent living? Besides, this April O'Neil thing is a little outdated these days, digital media is where it's at now," she explains.
"Oh, and my cellphone numbers on there too. I have a business phone and my regular phone. Because I forget to charge my business phone sometimes. That's why that's there," she says with a nod.

"Gotcha. I'll call you if I want to set up a different interview," you say with a nod and a smile.
"Thanks. Listen, I gotta go talk to my....cameraman," she says as she scoots away and you keep smiling after her.

Gloria sighs and walks up to you.
"Try not to look too much like a wolf staring at a rabbit, Jack," she says dryly.

>WDYD
>"Oh come on, I'm not THAT bad am I?" [Joking]
>"What's next on the agenda today?" [Professional]
>"So can I play again, Mom?" [Flippant]

followed by
Joking professionalism?

>We both know I could have done so much worse.

"Oh come on. We both know I could have done worse," you point out.
"Yes, and THANK you for your admirable restraint on your part. I only wish it extended to comments made about our professional rivals in the industry," she says with a slight edge to her voice.
"Hey, if Kessler wants to get down and dirty he can. AEGIS loves me while most agents think he's a criminal and I'm a superhero to boot. If he really wants to impress me he'd better make a super-suit five times the size and call himself 'Iron Hawk' or take some kinda Goblin Formula thing that makes him put on a goofy Power Rangers suit and talk to his reflection in the mirror," you reassure.
"That's more of your stupid comic book references isn't it?" she says with a sigh. "Why do you even watch those movies? Your LIFE is a comic book. Literally. Castle Publishing has a 'Phenominal Freedom Eagle' comic that they publish."
"You know, I've never actually read it?" you admit. "I gave them the okay on the condition that twenty percent of what they make off of it goes to charity."

"Very generous of you, and way to dodge my original question. And as for other business you have a call from your uncle waiting and the labs to direct the setup for like you requested to do, as well as the flight we have to book out of town once you're done setting up the place here."

>[Call Uncle Mike]
>[Get straight to work putting up the labs]
>[Call Miss Moon and see if you can set up another interview.]
>"Hey, lemme take you to lunch for putting up with my shit? My treat." [Apologetic]

>[Call Uncle Mike]

>"Hey, lemme take you to lunch for putting up with my shit? My treat." [Apologetic]