>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread

Throwing weapons are ranged weapons.

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>being so buttblasted you drag your wrongness into the OP of the next thread
Mike Mearls' rulings don't mean shit and are usually explicitly wrong.

On top of that, this was also covered in the Sage Advice Compendium.

He does have a point though. It doesn't really break anything to let people use all this ranged support for thrown weapons when they could just as easily get a bow.

At best there might be some odd loophole or bonus with it counting as both a melee and ranged weapons, but that seems doubtful.

The implication is that Mearls means Sharpshooter can apply to *thrown* attacks, right? Because thrown weapons are pretty shit RAW anyways, so it doesn't really hurt anything, besides baiting someone into playing a throwing fighter past level 5.

Back to "It's not a real weapon tho xD" I see.

We clearly got past that improvised melee weapons gain the benefit of weapon features.

Hes saying its ok to allow because it doesnt break anything. Its a weak as fuck attack and definately follows a rule of cool theme instead of no fun allowed. As a dm you can always say no but hes merely saying its not out of line that somebody with perfect accuracy might be able to transfer that skill from one weapon to another. Of course you can always dunk your teammate underwater to keep him from bleeding out....

What if you threw a Fighter who throws a Fighter who throws an actual weapon?
Like, a Goliath throws a Dwarf throws a Gnome or something.
Tavern Brawler makes you proficient in Improvised Weapons, so you could have the Goliath throw the Dwarf as an improvised weapon at the target (1d4+STR damage), then apply Sharpshooter to that (+10 damage).
The dwarf would in turn use his reaction to throw the Gnome (1d4+STR damage) and apply Sharpshooter to this throw (+10 damage).
The gnome could then use HIS reaction to throw a shattered bottle or an effigy of James Jacobs at the target (1d4+STR damage) and have Sharpshooter apply to THAT (+10 damage). Assuming all of these theoretical attacks hit, everyone in the line (including the Goliath) could take a bonus action to grapple whatever sorry sod they hit.
Would the damage bonus stack?
Can you apply Sneak Attack to this flying press assault? RAW, as soon as the gnome hits, the other two can apply Sneak Attack Damage.
I don't know where I'm going with this, but it sounds interesting if not useful.

>Rogue rolls first on initiative

>ITT: What happens when you let a shitposter be the OP.

Time to watch the chaos.

The 4erries were the ones shitposting, OP is absolutely correct and has in fact read the book.

Shut the fuck up, OP.

Wait, so paladins can smite with thrown weapons then?

Not that huge of a deal, but that's pretty nice.

>Paladins can smite by throwing their hammer at something

I have my next build.

>You came to the wrong part of town Gringo.

Mearls has fun and makes rulings that allow for varied play without introducing imbalance.

Meanwhile, Crawford says you can't aim throwng weapons, trip people on your opportunity attack, or rub your belly and pat your head at the same time.

In a world with darts, saying a dagger can't be used for sharpshooter or archery is really pedantic.

It's a good thing Great Weapon Master still lets you cleave enemies with javelins thrown from 30 feet away. I mean, it would be fucking ridiculous if you couldn't. I'm so glad we put the kibosh on making trick shots, though.

>good at hitting people with greatswords
>throw a handaxe into some goblin's skull
>get to punch another goblin behind you

If you provoke an AOO while moving out of an enemy's threatened area and they hit you, do you fail to move?

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm, because if it is sarcasm it's still retarded.

No you get to move still. Only sentinel and other special abilities that specifically state that they reduce your speed to 0 when you someone hits you with an AoO prevent you from moving.

Since I couldn't find it in the trove, does anyone have a pdf of Murder in Baldurs gate?

1) Fucking lol
2) Fuck no, that's retarded
3) Wait a minute...
4) Yep, you're using reactions so it technically should work

>Goliath throws dwarf-gnome complex from 20 feet away
>Dwarf uses his reaction (trigger being w5hen he is 15 feet away from the target) to throw the gnome at the target
>Gnome uses his reation

But no, you can't fucking sneak attack with it. This attack system would use Strength with no hope of being capable of applying dex; sneak attack requires a dex-capable melee weapon or a ranged weapon (from the table) which uses dex. OP is a retarded shitposter from the last thread who thinks he broke the game with his genius 5e hack, but his proposition explicitly breaks the rules. However, if your gnome is a rogue and you give him a rapier, he can use his reaction to hit the enemy with it after the dwarf hits (so that the dwarf is adjacent and SA condition is met). Alternatively, the gnome could be a little rapier sneak attack missile if he's a swashbuckler rogue. He can point his sword toward the target and be an improvised dart... omg fucking lol. Now maybe the dwarf's throw could trigger sneak attack since a gnome holding a rapier is akin to a dart (albeit a fuckhuge one). This is hilarious.

But yeah, the grappling bonus action with tavern brawler won't work. That requires a bonus action, which you don't get to use with Reactions (unless I'm mistaken?).

Oops, that's what happens when you don't write your post in order.

>Gnome uses his reaction to attack the target after landing (he'll be prone though so he'll have to take it at disadvantage it seems)

LOL this guy is still going?
I give him points for determination and creativity at least, even if most of his ideas are retarded or inefficient.
He needs a game to play in, for sure.

Halflings are the bravest motherfuckers in the realm.

>advantage on all frightened saving throws
>every 1 gets a re-roll

Chances of a halfling rolling a 1 on a fightened saving throw are 1/(20^4) = 1/160,000

About to start DMing my first game without using a premade adventure soon, but could use some inspiration on how to start it off.

What are your most memorable level 1 adventures?

>Death house
>First encounter gets a surprise attack and shoves a wizard over the railing
>Fails save to catch himself on the third floor
>Fails save to catch himself on the second
>Lands in the first floor taking 12 damage, fails death saving throws before the others gets to him
>The party is talking what to do when he walks up the stairs with an obvious broken neck confused about why he is still alive and can see in the dark

>first time playing d&d
>playing a ranger, choosing proficiencies
>DM tells me I should play a beast master
>never really mentioned that animal handling would be important (this is a long-running campaign)
>between level 3 and 8, my character is constantly dealing with animals (not just his animal companion and not ever by using enchantment magic to cheese it)
>months pass in game (also 5 levels)
>DM gives the barbarian expertise in perception and survival for reading them over and over in his downtime for a couple months
>"DM, can my character have gained proficiency in animal handling considering he's been literally implementing that skill day and night for several months?"
>"no."

Such a shitter. He later turned my character into an adult dragon. He's not a very good GM.

Are there rules anywhere for letting a player develop their own class features?

My monk/cleric player wants to develop a path and open a school for it, but I'm not sure how to go ahead with it

I assume they're talking about throwing vs. melee. You don't get to use sharpshooter when you're stabbing a bitch.

There are general guidelines for homebrew depending on the class, there was an article about it

>Start as level 3 Wild Magic Sorcerer
>Buying some gear to head off into a cave with
>Try to cast charm person to get a discount
>Wild magic time.
>Roll 1 on the d20 heck yes this is gonna be gud
>roll 7 on d100 haha sweet fun times
>fireball corner of marketplace for 40 damage
>wait what now
>only ranger survives
And that's why I don't play Wild Magic anymore.

Not really rules, but advice.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

>play lolsorandumb class
>get surprised when rng gives you a TPK

ahhh, I remember being new and unjaded

>Playing OotA
>playing a hill dwarf life cleric.
>rest of the party is a half orc fighter, tiefling fighter, and rogue fighter, a wizard, a monk, and a sorcerer.
>instead of trying to bond with the prisoners, the party decides to break free with brute force.
>I use all of my healing to save the half orc fighter while we make a mad dash for the supply room.
>We end up fighting an elite drow while gathering gear.
>luckily the other prisoners follow us so they all gang up on him with us and we eventually kill him.
>however, The elite drow ends up killing the monk outright, topsy is killed by spiders, and the orc prisoner is sacrificed to a vroc while we run away from the drow camp into the underdark.
most blood soaked level 1 fight I had ever seen. It took over 4 hours to wrap up that whole escape fight.

>Starting up a campaign tonight
>I want to be a Sorcerer
>Someone else wants to be a bard
>Someone else a Warlock
>Someone else a Rogue

Think the party could last if the fifth person also picks an offensively oriented character?

If they are a cleric or paladin then it will be fine. Fighter would be iffy. Anything else and you may have a very rough time.

>bard
>offensively oriented

That party is fine. Its not as healthy as it could be, but as long as the DM doesn't start every encounter literally under your feet you will be fine.

Also, since no one is wearing medium armor or above, and they will be boosting dex, you actually have a chance at a sneaky party. Go do Spec Ops shit motherfucker, try to convince everyone to take prof in stealth.

Try and get someone healing ability be it feat or spell

>you
>having reading comprehension

this reminds me of the table (can't remember if its in the dmg or mm) that has monster features and how it approximately affects their cr. it would be great if they expounded on that system.

>"also picks"

>you
>not retarded

>expresses concern over caster-majority, listing three casters and one martial
>immediately after listing the martial, "if the fifth person also picks an offensively oriented character"

>you
>having reading comprehension

3rd level
>when you hit with an unarmed attack, you may spend a ki point to heal an ally within 15ft 1d4+wis as a bonus action

Balanced as an alternative to the ranged spell attack from path of the sun soul?

Any chance I could get Veeky Forums's feedback on this? I've hit the point where I'm not seeing the forest through the trees, but I do know there's holes in it.

Question on the minor illusion cantrip: The description in the players handbook says "an" object but also lists muddy footprints (plural) as an example. How wrong would it be to cast an illusion of multiple swords on the ground (within the 5-foot cube of course) to confuse an enemy that's dropped theirs?

kor make halfings useless and losers who seek to play small men races are a waste. Fey dogs and goblins are better small races than halflings and gnomes.

Normally with RAW I'd say it's not allowed but Illusion tends to get shafted a lot so I'd allow them to at least try and get at least 1 round of confusion out of it

>kor
wat

Are fey dogs and goblins playable races?
(genuinely asking)

Late post, but I thought as much.
I was theorycrafting because it was like 3 in the morning, I was bored and wanted to see how far I could cheese that ruling. At least you can still use Battlemaster maneuvers on hurled luchadors, because they would count as "a weapon attack". Mostly I wanted to poke fun at the implication that a thrown weapon was also a ranged weapon- if for Sharpshooter, why not for Sneak Attack?
This makes me want to write up a cabal of ninja halflings who have maxed-out strength and use said strength to stack themselves in a tower 13 people high and throw each other at opponents. They'd probably also have to be female, since female halflings weigh less.
Somebody stop me.

The fey dogs are homebrew, but kor and goblins are both wotc official in the zendikar expansion. Kor also have a non vocal language so it would be pretty hard to silence a kor mage.

Actually having that option assumes the campaign is set on Zendikar or the DM otherwise wants kor around, yeah? Halflings are a fixture in significantly greater variety of D&D settings.

Creatures in magic get blasted/stolen to other planes all the time. Hell kor in their introduction werent on their home plane. If you can write an amnesia backstory then you can easily write a story about a kor trying to eek out an existance on a hostile plane.

I like your idea but the DM can still say no

Would I allow the Fastball Special? I fucking would!
Would I allow the double Fastball Special? Of course I fucking would!
Would I allow this Trifecta of Awesome Clusterfuck that you just described? I fucking would! And I would declare every fucking attack a critical hit because this nonsense is amazing.
You sir, is a scholar and a gentleman.

Yeah, and the DM can also say no to Halflings if he wishes. Your point is moot.

When flamboyant autists DM.

No, because a melee weapon attack is a , not a . Throwing a weapon is a ranged weapon attack made with a melee weapon.

Not that guy, but there is nothing wrong with allowing the fast ball special in games. Mechanically its almost always going to be a weak option with low damage and the risk of throwing your allies prone.

What it does allow is for melee PCs to get some extra range and access different parts of the terrain more easily. This should be cool and fun DMing.

Why are moon druids so fucking op? Nothing of a similar CR I can throw at the party is even remotely challenging for them because of the druid, and if I go over the CR too much the rest of the group is dead.

How? Are you at low levels?

Because they get 70 free HP to soak attacks with, and also multiattack. The party is level 3.

At level 2 they can turn into things like brown bears and dire wolves twice per short rest. At that level, turning into one of those once in combat will give them more than twice their HP to blow through while tearing away at the enemy, and then if/when that Wild Shape is finally brought to 0 HP the druid pops right back into their normal form with full health. And then they can do it all over again because they can Wild Shape as a bonus action. Throw in the fact that they have access to magic and you've got a monster. And then later on they can turn into an elemental using both of their Wild Shapes.

Levels 2-4 Moon druids are beasts.
Then they fall off a fair bit until they get unlimited wildshapes and wildshape spellcasting.

You only have 2 more levels of that moon druid being so tough and strong relative to the other pcs, so don't worry about it so much.

do any of the cr 1/4 beasts actually have multi attack? they transform as a bonus action, which is essentially healing, but then the creatures only have roughly 12 ac and 12 hp.

a human fighter with pole arm mastery has much higher potential to do damage, has higher ac, also heals with a bonus action.

also the damage that puts the beast hp below 0 hits the druid after.

12 HP is a ton at low levels.

Moon druids can actually become CR 1 creatures starting as level 2. Like brown bears.

Brown bears are tough, but they have low AC and are literally the most obvious target there could possibly be. Just mak an encounter with ranged attackers behind cover and tough guys up front.

Ideally, the ranged attackers attack down from above and the melee have terrain advantages. It makes for a great ambush.

If that doesn't work and you are super salty use traps.

Well, in that case, you might enjoy this, just for the reading.
I'd never allow everyone to pull off this Rube Goldberg machine, but it's at least somewhat amusing to consider.

I'm not going to cheat just because I don't like how OP a given class is.

The party is not retarded, they do actually scout and sneak around. I'm can't just go "lol ambush"! That's retarded.

>anyone
Well, that's what I get for attempting to craft forbidden knowledge.

See, while this is great against the moon druid, it would probably kill the rest of the party first. Thats the problem, challenging the moon druid without killing the rest of the party at low levels.

If he just wanted to kill the party obviously he could just plop down a cr 20 creature or some other unwinnable encounter for level 3 adventurers, but thats besides the point.

Can I get some atypical Warlock pacts from you guys? All I'm finding in my research is soul-selling or falling in love with the Patron, etc.

So Sharpshooter does apply then, since it's a ranged attack?

An otherworldly spirit wants to inhabit your body and experience a mortal adventuring life vicariously. In return for letting this jerk hang around in your head and urge you to do stupid dangerous things, it lets you borrow some of its magical powers.

>"We need to pick up some babes. Come on, you gonna use that Beguiling Influence or what?"

Sharpshooter would let you ignore the long range disadvantage with thrown weapons and ignore cover with thrown weapons, but you can't do the -5/+10 with a thrown weapon.

I take that back. You could perform sharpshooter's -5/+10 with a dart. Not with a handaxe or dagger, though.

You can also do it with a blowgun.

But can you do it with a net?

An Archfey in the style of Puck makes a deal with the Warlock to help them make mischief and pull of more fantastic pranks after being impressed by them.

I saw a concept once of a GOO that's the combined minds of an entire lost civilization, desperate to be apart from one another. Literally thousands, possibly millions of disembodied minds constantly arguing with each other, agreeing only that they must be free from one another. Desperate enough to give power to anybody who manages to contact them as long as the warlock agrees to try to separate them eventually. Some of them are more impatient or belligerent while others are nicer. Nonetheless they'll randomly contact the warlock (whether through their dreams or just telepathically) to either guide them or provide input on something, whether the warlock wants them to or not, because their method of communicating tends to sum up as countless voices all screaming at once trying to be heard while all saying different things.

If a large frog is grappling a character with its tongue, how would you rule for one of the character's allies to cut off the tongue of the frog?

I've got a guy whose warlock is working off a debt of service to a Fey Queen who felt wronged by him.

Would probably allow either/both of the following:
- Attack the frog, impose concentration-style saving throw on frog, grapple ends/tongue ability has recharge (5-6) on failure; critical severs their tongue, removing the feature entirely.
- Attack the grappled target, without advantage; beat the frog's AC to end the grapple, beating the target's AC additionally damages the target.

The latter is a bit contrary to 5e's philosophy, though.

I'd use the disarming rules in the DMG with the grappled PC as the weapon.

The fuck is the difference between a Halberd and a Glaive?

The spelling. Duh.

How about Sunder to slice the tongue off?

We have an undying warlock in our party who made a pact with Rhaugilath because ''In my heart I identify with zombies'' Rhaugilath laughed and said okay.

One's an axe on a long stick and one's a sword on a long stick.

In game, though?

>this post again

It's about flavour text you fool

So I'm thinking of making a moon druid soon. I know not all racial abilities pass over to animal form but some do as I have been told thus far. If I were to make a ghostwise halfling moon druid, which racial abilities would pass on to animal form?

>Vestiges

>parties are immune to ambushes
wtf am I reading?

Maybe you should stop playing with idiots.

Maybe your druid is the only good player then.

What would be some good character traits /flaws for a bounty hunter? None of the backgrounds in the PHB stand out, are there any other ideas around?