Warhammer 40k General

More Free Space Marine character upgrades edition

>40000 and 40,000 for searchfags

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40-000?N=102296 4294965381&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440130a-flat
regimental-standard.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ah, I'm glad we are moving back to more of these shitty wallpapers.

Beautiful. You can even see a DOW Tau general flying in the background. Such incredible drawfagging.

After years of staring into the GW shop windows thinking one day i'll play I finally bought a Dark vengeance box, I'm pretty hype lads.

Hope you enjoy, bud.

I opened up the box before and just had a nosey at the pieces, there's so many, it's like being a little kid again man.

Cool, have fun

First for the Sisters we deserve.

Reposting the cool stuff from the Fort Worth store opening for people who weren't in the final bits of the last thread.

But will you play Dark Angels or... Chaos?

They're both Heretics.

Crisis suit teabagging a white scar to death edition.

Oh I want to play Imperial Guards, this was just the only pick up and play kit i could find,

It's a pretty good deal, buying the box got me £20 in store credit to buy the basic paint and cutter box they sold. I can play the game right now with a friend and focus on building whatever army i want later, and the friend can have his choice of marines when that's settled.

Why does everyone hate Ultramarines
I never understood this.

A bit werd imo, but you can allways use the dark Angels as allies once you have a decent IG army
Also, I think the Start Collecting box of the guard is pretty neat

Hatred of Vanilla
And Matt Ward

Because Ward.

I'm not gonna lie, OP's pic is pretty sick.

>I think the Start Collecting box of the guard is pretty neat

it is, but that box costs £50 and comes with the one force whereas dark vengeance has the 2 at £65 along with the dice, markers and rulebook.

this way I can start playing at home with the unpainted models to get a taste for the game while I build the IG army I want.

You're doing the right thing.

But as user said, when you start building your IG look at the Start Collecting box.

as long as you dont hate painting you wont regret going IG. just remember mortars, mortars everywhere johnny

Because cancerous faggots love hate boner without understanding the subject and that tremendous douchebag alfabusa.

Hatred is the greatest gift of the Emperor.

Only impure hate Emperor's chosen.

Cato Sicarius 1v1s an apocolypse C'tan shard, which is stronger than an imperial knight. And that after killing a Necron Overlord in melee.

I had my heart set on Praetorians because rorke's drift in space is fucking awesome, but I'm not sure I should be messing with non-supported regiments until i'm much more familiar with the game

>IG Start Collecting Box
>Not just buying half a dozen 1:35 scale M48 Patton tanks and some Leman Russ bitz

Essentially, because they're made out to be better than everyone else. Veeky Forums, and I think most people in general, love to support the underdog, and crave a degree of individuality.

Everyone can do that with vortex bomb.

Ravenbros, how salty are we still about pic related?

>Ravenbros
Not a thing.

Who's that?

That's a lot of words for "I didn't think my plan through, please don't point that out"

All the things you "covered" before have had a million holes poked through them, and Commissar's aren't semi-fearless because Stubborn, they're Semi-fearless because of their special rule.
>Well Necrons for a start, who are terrified of morale checks in melee
And you clearly still don't realize how many holes people have poked in your theories. Necrons aren't "terrified" of morale checks in melee. They're so durable with FNP that they're not going to take that many wounds from anything that doesn't also cost 3x as much as a warrior squad, and bring LD10 down to LD8 still makes them better than Orkz and as good as most squads without Sarges. 25% chance to fail isn't "terrifying" now matter how much you want it to be

Read through people's responses and don't keep repeating the same shit arguments that people have torn apart over and over

Not enough skulls
Were will I get all the skulls I need to put on them

Will I ever find an opponent who doesn't sulk the second shit doesn't go their way?

>I roll 4 dice, needing 2+
>Roll 4 x 1
>Opponent: "lol, oh man, owned"
>me: what are the chances, huh?

>opponent needs to pass a moral check
>rolls 11
>Opponents: "Oh for fucks sake, what's the point, might as well concede for fucks sake"
>Me: well hang on, its just one squad
>Opponent: "no no, my lynch pin just broke, what's the fucking point, for fucks sake"

Jesus christ, every game, not quite as bad but just grow up for FUCKS sake

They used to be the "vanilla" marines, they were the best mostly because they had no weaknesses
Then they became better than everyone else even at things other people specialize in. Do Raven Guard specialize in sneaky stealth ops? Nope, the Ultras have a Captain who has been declared the best there is, was, and ever will be. Are Tyranids units powerful psykers with a special rule that makes other psykers sweat? Nope, because the Ultras have a librarian who kicked their cock in without losing 20 of his mates the way the Blood Angels did in DoW2.

Basically they used to be "the best because flexible" and then they were tranformed into "the best because the best" and that's not an interesting character trait. Novels had tried to make them my likable by giving them flaws, like Cato Sicarius having hubris and such, but if you read the codex the Ultramarines can do no wrong, and the few times they lose the entire Imperium swoons and then they go back to win again.

literally whom?

What is the most budget way to try WH40k?
I know it's a game of big squads and epic battles but what about picking just 3-4 figures for each player to move them across the table and give us an idea of the flavor of the game and end with few neat figures on shelf in worst-case scenario Is it a decent idea or picking dark vengeance is the only fine way for newbie?

im a raven guard guy, but ive been out of the loop for a while, what happened?

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40-000?N=102296 4294965381&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440130a-flat

Buy a start collecting set.

I laugh when shit goes poorly for me.

I do that at my actual life as well, so I might have a screw loose.

Welcome to the guard.
Heres your official mandatory GW-blog for reading:
regimental-standard.com/

One recommendation for you:
Buy a chimera. A Chimera is awesome.

(you could also use some cultists as stand-in guardmen).
1Guy with pistol+melee weapon as sarge
8 guys with autoguns as dudes
1 guy flamer as dude with flamer.

I used to play against an acquaintance in 5th with my Thousand Sons. he played Death Guard. I was a total newbie and he had a bit more experience than me but I always kicked the shit out of him. I fielded Oblits, Rubrics and terminators and the like, all footsloggers and he's field plagues, havocs, a defiler, a vindicator and so on. Remember this is 5th, Nurgle was the Tourney God of choice for CSM.

Every fucking time I destroyed a weapon, immobilised or killed something it's

>*heavy drawn out sigh* So overpowered, jesus..
and countless versions of this shit. He likes to field what he likes and only fields painted units. That's perfectly fine, admirable even but he never made a list so much as "Plonk down all the things I got painted and move forward in a straight line".

We quit for years and he wants to get back into it. I'm trying to stay away. Playing against him was like pulling teeth and now I have a LOT more tactical experience so I'd never hear the end of it.

Also he's like 40.

>need a hand battle brother?

do you have friends who already play? if so then any army that fits your fancy, there are rules to play a game with like 6-10 models, i cant for the life of me recall the name but its in the rules, and when you can afford to expand to 2 troops, 1 hq, just play small games with your friends and gradually add a vehicle here, a unit there or add a few more models to a existing unit to flesh it out more. the game isnt that expensive unless you are buying an entire army right away. also, dont buy your brushes/tools from gw, just go to a craft store, way cheaper for same or better quality. and i like vallejo paints, and i buy from a place called the war store, its online, and its 20% off all warhammer stuff. also, always check ebay first

Buy a barrel of green army men and play counts-as IG.

the masters of ambushing got ambushed on? i call shennanigans

Oh, I think the Tau brutally massacred the Raven Guard and slaughtered their Chapter Master.

The Tau were literally unscathed.

Once again, confirmed for winning 40k.

Just to sell dem 1-3 Riptides.

didnt the ethereal in that campaign shit himself to death from terror?

I just don't get why these people play.

Dark vengeance and play Dark angels is the cheapest way, as you get an ok selection for really little. Especially if you sell the Chaos stuff on ebay. It also comes with the rules, templates etc.
For small games with only few figures per side, check out killteam, and Heralds of War Killteam. They are alternative versions with just a few dudes per side. Unless you find the guys you want on ebay, it will not be as cheap as you think, because mostly the minis you need come in boxes of 5-10 models.

Only time ive heard of that happening was concerning an eversor

That was the following revenge in an unrelated, but important, planet.

Body doubles were used as bait. There are 9, (one got killed), Tau wearing exactly the same suit as Shadowsun now.

Can you imagine how I felt having this guy the size of George RR Martin who was a good 10 years my senior guilt-trip me in his house after kicking his ass time and time again? I had very little grasp of tactics back then and I was very reserved and shy. It was torture.

Fuck 'im. If he ever insists, I'll field my Tau and quickly put him off the idea.

>I'm offbeat guise

Well, at least you're not whining

>What is the most budget way to try WH40k?
>I know it's a game of big squads and epic battles but what about picking just 3-4 figures for each player to move them across the table and give us an idea of the flavor of the game
Kill Teams is good and it is exactly what you are asking for.

Also if you want, playing low points on a small table can be fucking dope fun, especially with Zone Mortalis which forces small squads and tactical maneuvering

Also like
Said, a start collecting box is the best way in terms of sheer money-dollars to get a few dudes.

You know, it pains me that WHFB killed itself by only catering to the giant battles that only 10-year veterans could afford, while modern 40k has all this great ways to be played on the cheap. If only they'd rolled out these sorts of options for WHFB.

there was an equivalent for Warhammer Fantasy. But it was as well supported by GW as kill team is. Read it appeared somewhere and was never heard from again.
In the end, its what the players do with the rules anyway. It is for example, not uncommon for 2 new guys to play together to have one 1750pts army, because neither has the amount of models on his own.

What Imperial Knight is a good match for a grey knight army with an eversor? I'm thinking a long range Knight is probably best since GK aren't great at range.
As far my army I have BC Stern as HQ Draigo as LoW, 2 combat squad PAGK, and 2 Termie Squads with a dreadnought with TL lascannon and 2 Dreadknights.

Hey guys I've been out of the scene since 3rd edition. Can you guys give me an overview of how competitive adeptus mechanicus and space Marines are? I like these two factions aesthetically but I used to play infantry focused guard because I thought it was cool and got my ass kicked all the time.

>there was an equivalent for Warhammer Fantas
I never heard of it, but I've played KT and Zone Mortalis many times. If they had it they needed to push it, not just sit around and go "why is nothing selling"

Dreadknights have like a 72" teleport shunt, that shit's brutal. My buddy always uses his when I'm preoccupied so he shunts behind cover and melts a bunch of dudes with that blast shit.

This is my set up so far. Eversor BC Stern and the second DK are at my buddies place. Accidentally left them there

>adeptus mechanicus: you mean the allied detatchment?

>Spees mehreens gw special snowflake, spam drop pods

It's a 30 inch shunt but yes it is. I've only played twice but my first game I shunted my DK into my buddies army, put it down in the middle of two squads of Space marines and fucked them up on like 2 turns with the sword and flamer

IG can still kick ass,they have this vehicle that just sits in the very back and drops death on everything. wyvern i think its called, i hate it

My bad. Yeah it's fucking nice and scary. I always try to take that ting out first thing cause my buddy psychologically threatens me with it and I am already a paranoid fuck.

It's great, I fucking love him.

It's all good bro, I forget half the time what my army has and doesn't have

I wish I too had pewter Draigo. His finecast sword is curved. Curved sword.

As for IK advice I don't have any and don't know much about them.

so i've never played a tabletop or pen and paper rpg. got into 40k a bit and now i'm wondering is there a site or something where people 'host' games i could get into? don't know any people irl that are into this.

This guy gets it.

Skull boob plate is the only option.

Are they not their own army?

I used to use a basilisk and a couple leman Russ but even then I would get swarmed in close combat and murdered. My buddy played eldar and kicked my ass every time lol.

This was fluff, not crunch in an apocalypse match. user mentioned apocalypse strength c'tan to give an idea that it wasn't just a normal strength monster akin to a carnifex.

So basically in the story a space marine takes on a demigod head to head and comes out of it easily without help.

Normally anything like this, it takes a team effort to bring them down or the surviving marine comes out half dead and gets bionically reconstructed or stuck in a dread if they don't die taking the threat down.
Cato was fine.

Got him unpainted from my buddy for 10 bucks. Pic related for your viewing pleasure

A C'tan shard can stop time, teleport, or have the strength to resist the pull of the vacuum hole.

Cato did not directly hit he shard with the vortex bomb. The bomb exploded behind the shard and it took a a long moment for the warp hole to drag the shard into the Warp. I had no idea that Warp holes acted like vacuum holes and I have even less of an idea how a TRANCE DENT C'tan shard was powerless to simply teleport out or resist the pull.

yes, but they lack units to make it a "competent" standalone army, or it is just too expensive(even for 40k)they just need new units to make them interesting

So I got a 10 man guardsman squad, and a 5 man squad. My plan being to use the extra 5 men to start building special weapons troopers that I can switch into other squads.

Boy was that a mistake. The 5 man mold models are very noticeably older than the 10 man molds. Most noticeable is the equipment, which is fused to the guardsmens' pants for some reason. Fortunately I got a knife, some spare bits, and plenty of time.

Dude how are you holding it like that without it falling?

As long as its just warped and not busted or missing chunks, the bent sword is a real easy fix. Do you need any help with it? Its basically just being a tiny blacksmith.

most armies other than space marines, tau, eldar, and possibly guard NEED allies because their book is so incomplete

Remember the Swarmlord? The epic monster responsible for the death of millions of world?

Well, in the latest Ultramarine story, Chaplain Cassius defeated it TWICE in combat within the same war/story (picture related this is the first fight).

A serious question. How do you nidfags live with yourselves? If my faction was this much of an NPC race, I would just off myself out of embarrassment.

the five man squads are also cheaper

I've seen people do cool stuff with them though by using a knife and some green stuff.

I've tried few times to bend it after soaking it in hot water but it keeps bending back to original warped shape. Oh well, I've started painting him already so it doesn't matter.

I took it with my phone. My hand was parallel to the floor. It flipped the photo for some reason

Wait, when was the latest story? I thought all this "Ultramarines are gods" stuff was all back 3 or 4 years ago.

Two weeks ago, slowpoke.

You know Nids outside the tabletop are a massive horde of disposable interchangeable bugs specifically designed to push things 10 minutes to midnight then get beat back in a phyrric victory, right?

Now, on the tabletop an army is an army and it's a disgrace how ass-tier they are, but fluff wise? Of course they don't win in a novel.

Next time after you bend it into shape real quick, maybe try dunking it into some cool water so it sets. That's what worked for me anyhow.

Scimitar draigo is probably cool though.

Swarmlord a shit, even the fluff indicates that

I know.

They are the very definition of NPCs.

Even their unique super awesome bug that supposedly evolves each time you kill him, is nothing but chopped liver to the Space Marines.

Not even Orks are at this level.

It's Cruddace OC nonsense, I don't give a shit.

>Cassius withstanding the psychic power of the Swarmlord
>Cassius being faster than the Swarmlord

How can any compete with this?

>play my first game against my friend
>my army is a ML 2 librarian, a furioso, a 10 man tactical squad, and a 5 man tactical squad
>his army is a chaos lord with mark of nurgle (that we forgot) and aura of w/e (which we also forgot to use), 1 chosen squad, 2 10er cultist squads, and a hellbrute

Turn 1
>we both move our units up 5-6", cautiously across this 6-8 foot long table
Turn 2
>another cautious 5-6" move forward on both parts but still out of range of any weapons
>realize we are taking way too fucking long to move, lesson learned
>he creeps in to plasma cannon range
Turn 3
>move units slightly forward putting most of his units in bolter range
>first shooting phase where units are actually in range, excitement is through the roof
>elect to start with plasma cannon, put marker over 3 cultists and helbrute, it's a direct hit!
>roll all 4 wounds at once (just noticed I fucked up the Gets Hot special rule), vaporize the 3 cultists, helbrute shrugs off the hit resulting in a 1 roll
>armor save does nothing, tactical marine melts where he stands
I'm sure this is common stuff for anyone that plays but we both found it pretty hilarious our first hits, first wounds, first casualties resulted in the death of his and my units.

>>we both move our units up 5-6", cautiously across this 6-8 foot long table
If neither of you had vehicles, you should have elected to deploy along the long-edge instead

Is WH40KRPG dead as shit? It's fucking impossible to find a group for online play.

Yet more evidence the shitposting Taufag thats been camping /40kg/ for the past month or two, is also involved with the OP image shitshow.

he's easy to spot. Loves Tau, hates phoneposters, always replies with heavy handed vitriol. posts ~50-75x per thread.

That's a great start user. I'm glad you had fun.

And yes, you make a separate gets hot roll for blast weapons as they don't roll to hit.

There are groups that play 40krpg on roll20 but I can't find anyone for Dark Heresy.

If anyone would be willing to answer some newb questions for me, these are some problems we ran in to during In the Psychic Phase trying to generate charges, is it when you roll 2 or more 6's that you suffer a Peril's of The Warp?
If a weapon or unit attacks with a strength twice or more than twice the toughness of an enemy unit the Instant Death special rule applies (invuln saves aside) meaning any wound is lethal right? If I am attacking a Chaos Lord with a Dreadnought Powerfist, which I think is strength 12 verses toughness 4 do I still roll to wound or is it an automatic wound?
Can every model in a unit throw a grenade instead of shooting their weapon? When his Helbrute charged one of my tactical squads I fought back using 4-5 krak grenades in melee, did I fuck up?

Most people dont take 40k as serious as you apparently do.