Valkyrie Quest 6

Previous Threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=Valkyrie Quest
Twitter: twitter.com/Sir_Argyle_Esq

You are Sarah Karlsen, Valkyrie of Sweden, and daughter of Odin.

Recovery from the prison assault goes well. Anna has returned to the land of the living-awake and alive, if a bit fatigued- and your own strength is recovering nicely. Most of Tobias' men have returned to the ship, which has been forced away until things calm down. Though it's not obvious, the local government has spent the past several days reeling from the hit you've given them.

So, for the time being, you're stuck in this temple until further notice.

The library within it is surprisingly large. Books from across the ages are stocked in its shelves in a dozen different languages. You were never the reader like your sister, so rather than doing the actual reading you've decided to help find new ones for her.

You only wish the help was as considerate as you were.

"A little to the left," You say.

"As the lady commands," Tobias murmurs beneath you, moving you closer to the shelf to your left. "Tell me, again, why you couldn't use the ladder?"

"it's easier this way," You explain, running a hand over the books as you scan the titles. "Aren't you supposed to be a soldier, lieutenant? Quit complaining."

"Your heels are digging into me like daggers, I can complain all I want. Can't you fly?"

"And stir up all the dust in here? I think no-got it!" You call, grabbing the book you've been searching for..

(Cont.)

"Wonderful," Emma answers dryly, face still buried in the last book you gave her. "Put it with the rest, if you please."

You look down expectantly, and with exasperation, Tobias raises his arms and places his hands on your hips, lifting you off his shoulder and setting you back down on the floor.

"Many thanks, good sir," You say, giving a small courtesy.

"What exactly is the Doctor hoping for you to find in these?" Tobias asks, ignoring your antics.

"He didn't seem so sure himself," Your sister admits, looking up as the two of you approach. "Sergeant Doren told him about the library, and since he wasn't allowed off the ship, he radioed and asked me to do some digging in his stead. He gave me a few titles and authors to go with. Mostly books relating to the origins of Valkyries, their part in the Great War, and our wars with the Teutonic Order."

>"Wars? There were more than one?"
>"Have you found anything useful, or is it all ancient history?"

>>"Wars? There were more than one?"
Poor Tobias. Wait I wanna be bullied by a Valkyrie that lucky sob!

>>"Wars? There were more than one?"

aw heck yes, cute nazi girls doing cute nazi things

"Wars? There were more than one?" You ask, confused.

Sighing, Emma pinches the bridge of her nose.

"I forgot you slept through most of Mattias' lessons," She said, only to realize what she said too late, judging from her expression.

The British teachers in Iceland had taught you about everything. Everything, that is, except Sweden and anything related to her. As if that would make you forget what you were. Yet at night, for those brave enough to listen, Mattias would tell the students of their real history. Of things that really mattered.

The thought causes your stomach to tighten, for many reasons, but you laugh it off with an airy wave.

"At that time of night there was little I cared for other than my bed," You say. "I'm awake now. Give me the gist of it."

"It wasn't always just the Teutonic," Emma says, kind enough to move past the subject. "The Knights Templar, Hospitaller, and lesser knightly Orders have been against Sweden since the day it announced its pagan faith. When the Empire wasn't at war with other nations, it was at war with the Church. Of them all, only the Teutonic remain."

"Germany, be it as it is now or when it was divided, was among the only ones to ever willingly greet the Empire with open arms," Tobias added. "Outside Sweden, Germany is the only nation where one can find temples of Christ and the Allfather in equal measure. The Teutonics, with their ancestor being that of Germany, took it as their personal duty to try and remove the supposed stain from their nation's honor."

(Cont.)

"Very good, lieutenant," Emma smiles. "You know your history."

"The Doctor keeps his own collection on the ship," Tobias offers a modest shrug. "There's often little else to do but read."

"If the Teutonic weren't alone, what happened to the others?" You ask.

"The Church, and the groups associated with it, had steadily lost support even before Sweden announced its new faith. Initially there was fear, and the Church gained more support, but it was short lived. In the end, people simply didn't want Europe torn apart by faith again. The only reason the Teutonic survive today, it's believed, is because it contains all the remaining knights and their supporters. German or otherwise."

"It's pleasent to know our enemy is as diverse as we are," Tobias notes wryly.

"You should give one of these a try," Emma suggests. "Reading may not be your passion, but it never hurts to know more about us and our enemies."

You can't disagree with her, at least not completely. However, you've also been itching to get back into the rhythm of training again. It's been too long, and Tobias had offered to help you.

>Stay and read.
>Find something to hit Tobias with.

>>Stay and read.

>Stay and Read

Read nerd, the power of books order you too.

>Stay and read.

>Stay and read.

Dude. Can we read about, like ... Physical body control, muscle groups, and how to optimise the use of your energy and maximise your physical force?

Wait, I thought you guys got a whole board dedicated to this.
What gives?

You forgot to say " " !

What gives?

Also instead of going to qst, I think you should go to /s4s/ is my favourite board.
I'm taking my /s4s/ without keksandra for a week and I think I let it grow too long, does anyone have a grooming guide for them?

Once in Australia I saw someone put 12 ironies into their memes and then post them.

We live in wondrous times, truly.

You admit, having a better idea of what to expect is a comforting thought. Throwing up your hands in surrender, you turn to the table and the mountain of books scattered across it.

A portion of them are in Russian, or Latin, or something that might be an old Norse language. However, you manage to find a few titles that catch your attention.

>"Lady Alice and her Knight of Cologne."
>"The last Valkyries of the Great War."
>"Inquisitor Armec: Butcher of the East."

>>"Lady Alice and her Knight of Cologne."

>"Lady Alice and her Knight of Cologne."

>How to Cook: A beginner's guide to simple but effective meals

>"Modern Counterespionage: Checking whether the # of Unique IPs in a thread goes up after someone posts"

I wonder if they have any The Learned Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Lmao Wikipedia.

(Nice to see my players have excellent reading taste.)

You decide to grab the one about Lady Alice and find a place to sit. Tobias politely excuses himself, leaving you to read in peace.

Lady Alice was a Valkyrie during the late 18th Century, Sir Xavier a marshal of the Knights Templar. They found themselves on opposing sides during the Russo-Turkish War, with Sweden offering the Lady and a regiment of infantry under her command as support to their southern ally. When word came that they would be facing a Valkyrie, the Russians looked for and found support from their Catholic allies in the west.

Lady Alice was young, among the third and newest generation of Valkyrie to serve the Empire. Despite this, she was a capable commander and a superb warrior. Sir Xavier was a veteran of half a dozen wars and petty battles, a mercenary before finding his holy calling.

They met one another on the battlefield countless times, often engaging in single combat. With arms and armor blessed by priests from both the west and east Xavier proved more than an equal match to the Valkyrie, and each fight between the two ended in a bloody draw.

Their rivalry was a friendly one, despite their backgrounds and eager attempts to kill one another. On one occasion Lady Alice had been taken by surprise and captured by Turkish troops led by the Order. Upon her escape mere miles from him, the marshal decided against pursuit, allowing her to return to her comrades. On another occasion, the pair fought for nearly an entire day, long after both their sides forces retreated for the day.

(Cont.)

In the end it was Alice who emerged victorious, the human Xavier having fought to the point of collapse. With his life at the tip of her sword, Alice found herself unable to kill him. Instead she healed him of his wounds and vanished, leaving both sides commanders stunned.

It is said that the truth is that they died on each others swords on that field in Moldova, their bodies two among hundreds mangled and unrecognizable. Others say that both the Empire and the Order hunted them down, terrified of them going to the other and revealing the secrets they knew. The lesser known end to the tale is that both fled to America, where they spent the remainder of their lives in peaceful exile. In the end, no one knows the truth.

It's a pleasent story, and it keeps your attention, but you gain little useful knowledge out of it. With the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the efforts of Lady Alice and her men were for naught.

The only other thought you gain from it is that, however romantically embellished the story is, members of the Order could be swayed to some extent. Just as a Valkyrie, sworn to defend the Empire, can reconsider her own loyalty.

You push the thought aside, looking down at the two remaining novels. Emma is still working away at her own book, though it's different from when you first began reading yourself. Perhaps you could do with another.

>"Inquisitor Armec: Butcher of the East."
>Find something else to read.
>Excuse yourself, find trouble elsewhere.

>>"The last Valkyries of the Great War."

I wanted to read the how to cook book =(

You decide on another book, perhaps more helpful. You settle into your chair once more.

When the Great War began, and the Empire readied itself for war, the Swedish Army had over three hundred serving Valkyries. Multiple generations, old and new, all prepared to fight for king and country.

The Great war was the single largest use of Valkyries in the Empire's history. Half a continent wished them dead, and across Europe Valkyrie were deployed. They were siege breakers, spearhead leaders, and the best morale officers the Central Powers had. Even the Italians managed to prove themselves when a Valkyrie was present.

At the same time, the Allies saw them as a real and major threat. Initially they attempted to deal with the Valkyries as they had in the past. Overwhelming firepower, sniper teams, and general luck. This lead the deaths of many and more Allied soldiers, with little to show for it. While the younger, less powerful Valkyries were susceptible to these tactics, their older and more powerful sisters were never far away to protect them.

Two years into the war and the Allies were losing, though only just. The grid-lock that had enveloped the war was still very present, but ever so often a rapid blitz would gain ground on one front or the other. And more often than not, it was the Central Powers, lead by their Valkyrie.

Since the beginning of the war the Order had attempted to publicly assist the Allies, but their questionable past and methods kept them at arms length from the Allies. After two years of fighting, the Allies caved more out of desperation than actual desire.

When the Order first appeared on the field, clad in knightly armor and proclaiming to wield holy weapons, the common soldier was obviously skeptic. The soldiers of the Order made for an odd sight, using sword and shield as much as they used firearms. This, combined with their limited numbers, left many doubtful.

Then the losses began.

(Cont.)

Valkyries once thought invincible were brought down and butchered by men more befit crusading for Jerusalem rather than fighting in French trenches. Yet the knights of the Order came and killed Valkyrie without mercy, taking no prisoners and offering no quarter. Madmen armed with holy swords dueled with the daughters of Odin and won, fighting with strength capable of no mortal man. Bullets blessed by priests found purchase where so many had not, the snipers once seen as useless becoming the most deadly of hunters.

By the end of the next year over half of the original Valkyries were killed. The replacements that came after them were young and inexperienced, ill-prepared to take on the knights that awaited them. It was not long until more Valkyries were killed than there were pressed into service. In the final year of the war, the last able Valkyrie was recruited.

Lady Victoria had served since the beginning of the war, fighting on both fronts multiple times. Born to a British father, she often noted the irony of herself to the amusement of the troops around her. Lady Victoria was a fourth generation Valkyrie, among the oldest and most respected in the Empire before the war. She played an instrumental part in creating the Valkyrie Corp; turning the Allfather's daughters from simple warriors into a proper army. She had declined the offer of commanding the Corp, preferring to still be able to fight on the field.

She was killed on the 23rd of October, 1918, less than two weeks before Sweden's official surrender. She and her supporting sisters had been covering the retreat of Germany's 6th Army, under pressure from both the British and a newly arrived American task force. In their determination to stand their ground they were cut off from 6th Army and, despite their efforts to relieve them, Victoria and her sisters were overwhelmed.

(Cont.)

> Even the Italians managed to prove themselves when a Valkyrie was present.

+2 Biglaffs.

Scattered reports say that Victoria and another Valkyrie were taken prisoner by the Americans, only to be killed on the British commanders orders. The authenticity of said report is highly disputed, but relations between the American and British troops after the battle soured considerably.

Lady Nora was the last recorded Valkyrie to join the war, age 14 at her time of recruitment. Though heavily debated by both her trainers and Swedish Army officers, she volunteered for the service and urged them to let her fight. She spent the remainder of the final year of the war primarily assisting in rear echelon duties, healing the wounded and providing moral to a decidedly demoralized army.

On May 5th, 1918, she and the army group she was assigned to surrendered and were placed into captivity. As per the agreement in the Treaty of Versailles, she and two more surviving Valkyries were taken to Iceland, where they and the known descendants of Valkyrie were placed under British control.

You don't remember ever hearing of Lady Nora, despite your best attempts to.

"Do you remember a woman named Nora, back at school?" You ask.

"Not to my knowledge," Emma shakes her head. "Why?"

"It says here she fought in the war, and was sent there like us."

"They kept the veterans and the children separate, I believe. Though I can't be absolutely sure."

You frown.

"I suppose she died too, then."

Emma looks up from her book, sharing your expression.

"I suppose so," She says.

(Cont.)

You return your attention to your book, intent on reading further, when the door to the library bursts open. One of Tobias' men-Jordan, you think- appears, red-faced and gasping. Both you and Emma are at your feet in an instant.

"We found someone hiding on the perimeter," He says. "A scout or a spy, we don't know yet."

"Show us," You say.

You and Emma follow him to the main chamber. Many of the prisoners you freed had left to assist less well off cells, but a handful remained alongside the Gothi and her assistants. Tobias scowls, a pistol in his hand, the other holding a scraggly looking man by the scruff of his shirt. He wears the beige uniform of the officers from the camp. Tobias half pushes, half drags the man across the floor.

"On your knees, Russians," He growls, shoving the man down to his knees.

"I go, I go, no need to shout," The man mutters, hands raised as he looks up at the gathered crowd. "Yes, yes, look at the big bad Russian. Try not to piss yourselves, yeah?"

Tobias turns to face you, as does the rest of the crowd. The Russian looks at you and his face immediately falls.

"Blyat," He states, groaning.

>"Who sent you, Russian?"
>"You sound like you've had a rough day."
>"Hello there."

mmm delicious plot hook

>Say nothing, but stare at him with a stern glare until he gives us the information we need.
>If we feel like he's not telling the whole truth, glare harder. Maybe force him to lean backwards in such a way that is uncomfortable to keep for any length of time.

>"Who sent you, Russian?"

>>"Who sent you, Russian?"

>"Hello there."

>>"Who sent you, Russian?"

(Slow day? Activity died out there for a bit.)
You crouch down in front of the man, scowling. He looks up at you, clearly as displeased about his current situation as you are. He looks from you to Tobias.

"Look, girl-deh, Valkyrie," He says. "I saw what you did to the Commander and the rest. You think I'm stupid enough to try anything now?"

"You saw us?" Tobias asks. "Where were you?"

"Hiding like a smart man," He answers. "I saw what was about to happen and decided to keep my head down. I was in the forest when the attack started."

"Why?" You ask, scowl remaining.

"I'm a good guy, yeah? The others, they treated the Finns like they treat Ukranians. Bad, you know? So I, being a good Russian, had a business arrangement set up with some of them."

"Contraband," Emma guessed.

"Is food contraband?" He scoffs. "They were starving, and I helped them not."

"What did you take in exchange?" Tobias asked, crouching down next to you. He holds his pistol well in the man's view. "The truth, Russian. Now."

"They were mining all sorts of shit, some of it valuable, some of it not," He said. "They pocketed fistful's of the good stuff and passed it off to me. I know a guy that gives me a good price for rare metals. It was a good deal, I think."

You and Tobias look at one another, contemplating.

"I watched you level the camp and followed you," He said. "I thought that, since I helped them out, they'd vouch for me, yeah?"

You look back at him, staring blankly.

"O-Or," He murmurs, "you can shoot me, and poor Koren's story ends here..."

>"Unless you give me a reason to do otherwise, I think you have the right idea."
>"Quit babbling and stand up. If you can prove what you've done, we won't hurt you."

>"Quit babbling and stand up. If you can prove what you've done, we won't hurt you."

>>"Quit babbling and stand up. If you can prove what you've done, we won't hurt you."

"Quit babbling and stand up," You order. "If you can prove what you've done, we won't hurt you."

With reservation Tobias nods to his men and they step back. Slowly, hesitantly, Koren moves to his feet. Dusting himself off, he gives you a grateful nod.

"Thank you, miss...?" He asks.

"Two of the prisoners are still here," Tobias says, signaling to one of his men. "Bring them both here, see if they recognize him."

The man sets off, but you keep your attention on the Russian. Compared to the others in the camp he is hardly intimidating. Lanky, unkempt, looking more like an animal considering flight than a member of the Order. If he's a member at all.

It will no doubt take a moment to find the freed prisoners. A few questions won't be out of line while you wait.

>"You don't seem very upset over your comrades. Why?"
>"The man that attacked me. Who was he?"
>Other?

>>"You don't seem very upset over your comrades. Why?"
At an engagement party.

>"The man that attacked me. Who was he?"

It's a fact, why "lmao"?

(Mazel tov! I think. Although for this quest is might be considered poor form.)

"You don't seem very upset over your comrades," You note. "Why?"

"They were assholes," Koren shrugs, as if it's obvious. "Okay, maybe not all of them, but look at where we worked? No one there was a saint."

"Does that include you?" Tobias asks.

"Of course."

If nothing else, you respect his honesty.

A short time later the two from the camp, having volunteered to assist the Gothi, arrive. A man and woman, of similar age to Koren. When they arrive they give you a respectful bow before turning to Koren. They appear surprised, and you believe it's pleasantly so.

"Hello my friends," Koren smiles. "How goes Resistance life?"

"Well," The woman says. "How did you survive?"

"Your Allfather must have taken a shining to me," He chuckles. "Will you tell the Valkyrie what a good warden Koren was?"

"It's true, Lady Sarah," She says. "Koren was the only one in the camp with any sort of compassion or kindness."

"For a price," The man adds, less enthused. "I always suspected that he would turn us over to the Commander."

"A wise suspicion," Koren nods. "If it ever came to light what I was doing I would likely have turned it on you. For my own skin, you see. So good it is, then, that never happened."

Tobias' expression darkens while the two prisoners seem used to the Russian's antics.

"He helped us," The man admits. "There are some of us you rescued that would be long dead if it weren't for him. For that, at least, he has our thanks."

"You see?" Koren asked. "One good deed deserves another, I think. What say we let poor Koren go? Hmmm?"

>"Not until you've told us everything you know."
>"I don't think you'll be going anywhere soon, Koren."
>"We'll see. For now, we'll keep you under guard until we decide."

>>"We'll see. For now, we'll keep you under guard until we decide."

>"We'll see. For now, we'll keep you under guard until we decide."
>"You'll be treated fairly though, Don't worry"

"We'll see. For now, we'll keep you under guard until we decide what to do with you."

"Many thanks, Lady Valkyrie," Koren said, giving what he believed to be a formal bow. "I will be a most gracious guest."

"Take him away," Tobias ordered.

"Gently," You add.

With that they politely but firmly lead the man away. You turn to Tobias.

"You don't like him," You note.

"I don't trust him," He says. "He said it himself; he can't be trusted."

"Which makes him all the more trustworthy," You say, grinning at his confused expression. "You may be right, but most guilty men try to hide beneath innocence. He, at least, accepts exactly what he is."

Tobias merely answers with a grunt.

"I only ask that you sleep on whatever decision you may have for him," He says, relenting.

"I will, I promise," You assure him.

With that done the temples returns to its usual tranquility. The gathered crowd disperses, going one way or another. The remaining people in the temple are either the Gothi and her followers, the Resistance garrison, and Tobias' men.

Beside the two that dragged off Koren, a number of Tobias' men stand near the way to the exit alongside a few Resistance men.

"Are you coming, Lieutenant?" Jordan calls.

"You go on ahead," Tobias calls, waving them off. "Have fun for me. Sergeant."

"Will do!"

The group then sets off, talking and laughing among themselves.

"What's all that about?" You ask.

"There's a village at the base of the mountain loyal to the Resistance," He explains. "It's not even on most maps, so the Resistance comes and goes as they please."

>"What are we waiting for, then? Let's go."
>"Don't stay here on my account, Lieutenant. Go enjoy yourself."

>47494839

>>"What are we waiting for, then? Let's go."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" You ask.

"What do you me-" Tobias begins, only to stop when you latch onto his arm.

"Let's go!" You beam up at him.

"Funny," Tobias says in a tone lacking amusement.

"I'm being serious," You say, tightening your grip.

"We can't risk someone seeing you and running off to tell the Russians."

"You just said it wasn't even on the map."

"It's too risky. And stop pouting."

"I'm not pouting!" You say, pouting. "You're just cruel."

"Oh, yes, a heartless brigand am I," Tobias snorts. "Fine. Come here."

Without waiting for you to respond he grabs you and pushes you to arms length. He stares at you, looking you over with a scrutiny that leaves you squirming in his grip.

"What are you doing?" You ask.

"Thinking," He says, a smile beginning to form. "Alright, I think I have an idea. Let's say I let you go. Will you promise to stay next to me the entire time?"

>"Oh but of course, father."
>"Lieutenant, are you asking me for an evening on the town?"

>"Lieutenant, are you asking me for an evening on the town? Right after grabbing me too? This seems backwards"

>>"Lieutenant, are you asking me for an evening on the town?"

"Lieutenant," You grin. "Are you asking me for an evening on the town?"

"Don't twist my words around," He scowls.

"Too late," You say, once more latching onto his arm. "I accept."

"Why do I even bother?" He murmurs. "You're going to make the others see this, aren't you?"

"But of course."

"Allfather grant me strength," Tobias groans, making you laugh.

You catch up with the others in good time, the group making their way down the main temple steps as you do. Hearing footsteps, they turn back to greet you.

"Lieutenant! Glad you could join...us," Jordan says, faltering upon seeing you, surprise clear on his face. "Lady Sarah."

"Sarah is all I need," You tell him. "I thought I'd accompany you."

"I can see that," Jordan says, grinning. "Enjoying yourself, Lieutenant?"

"To no end, Sergeant," Tobias deadpans. "Give her your winter cap, if you please."

"Right away."

You step away from Tobias as you take the cap. It's a simply grey thing, and you look up at Tobias in confusion. Rolling his eyes, he pulls it over your head and down over your eyes. The cap's easily large enough to swallow your head whole.

"I fail to see how this helps," You say, voice muffled by the fabric.

"Tuck your mop under it," Tobias snorts. "It's not the perfect disguise, but we'll just have to hope no one looks at you too closely."

"Of course not," someone says. "Not when she's draped over a dapper man like yourself."

A chorus of laughter erupts while you do as he says, gathering up your hair. You wish you had something to tie it with, but you manage to hide it all the same. You're not cold, but there's an obvious chill, so you suppose you look normal.

"How do I look?" You ask.

"Lovely," Tobias says, offering his arm. "Shall we?"

(Cont.)

Pleased to see his mood brightening you accept the offer. With that you and the others continue on to an awaiting truck where the driver waves you closer. It seems this is a regular occurrence.

He doesn't give you a second glance, so you decide Tobias' idea worked.

All of you pile inside the back, and in short order you're bustling down the mountain path. Compared to your last trip, this one is leaps and bounds ahead.

"It was nice of them to supply seats this time," You say.

"Only the best for us," Tobias chuckles.

You recline in your seat as much as you can, listening to the others. It's a pleasent experience, the morale of the others seemingly never higher. As much as it disoriented you before, you find the company of soldiers to be comforting and reassuring. Their certainty and confidence helps you with your own.

You reach the village by sunset, finding the village brimming with life as its people settle down to enjoy their evening. The truck stops in a market square now closed for the day, its stalls draped over and shut.

"I'll be here when you're ready," The drive says, throwing his feet over into the passenger seat and tipping his hat over his eyes. "Wake me when you return."

"We will," one of the Resistance men assure him.

With that the group joins the village traffic. A handful of the villagers offer the Resistance men a friendly greeting or two, but for the most part your group is ignored. After a time the Resistance man leading them breaks off from the road, approaching what you guess to be an inn.

"It's been too long since we've had a proper meal, aye lads?" Jordan asks, to the agreement of many.

(Cont.)

Inside, the atmosphere is bustling. Laughter and talk fills the air, and half a dozen different scents assault you at once. You grab Tobias' hand as you navigate the crowd, finding a table that could fit you all.

"We always have something for the Colonel's boys," An elder woman says, showing them to a corner table. "What can I get you?"

"The usual, for all of us," The Resistance man says. "A round of the good stuff, too, if you would."

You're still awed by the sights and sounds around you, returning your attention to the others only when you feel Tobias nudge you.

"Like what you see, miss?" The Resistance man, Filip, you think his name is, asks.

"I do," You nod. "Is it always like this?"

"No," He admits. "But news has spread about what we've done. The mood is bright. People are hopeful again."

"For the first time in a long time," another Resistance man adds. "We owe our thanks to you."

The innkeeper returns with an arm full of glasses. They're passed around in short order, and you give your own drink a quick sniff. It's sweet, and you're all but certain it's alcohol. Tobias gives you an uncertain look, but you answer him with a confident grin.

"To the Empire!" Filip says, raising his glass.

"May she soon be whole again," another man adds as the others do the same.

"To the Empire!" Everyone, including yourself, toasts as glasses clink together.

>Drink for the toast, but no more.
>Drink cautiously.
>Drink heartily.

>>Drink cautiously.

>Drink cautiously.

>Drink cautiously.

>Drink heartily.

You'd stolen your way through a few wine bottles in your time, but never the whole thing. And certainly nothing like northern ale.

So you take to the drink a sip at a time. It's strong stuff, and you're grateful you didn't rush the thing. It might have gone badly. Instead, you enjoy it slowly and over time. Tobias does the same, giving you a pleased smile when you catch his eye.

Food comes and, though you're not sure what it is exactly, it looks and smells delicious. Filip says something about Elk, and that's good enough for you.

Filip and his companions fill much of the air with conversation, and you're more than content to enjoy the company and food in contented silence. You gain your fill and lean back in your chair, a pleased sigh escaping you. Jordan and another of Tobias' men are comparing scars, letting Filip judge the victor, when Tobias leans towards you.

"Enjoying yourself?" He asks, voice nearly unheard above the noise.

"Greatly," You nod, offering a grateful smile. "Thank you for letting me come along."

"I can't rightly remember the last time I -didn't- let you get your way," Tobias says.

"I'm certain it happened at one time or another," You say, not so sure yourself.

Looking at one another, you break down into a fit of giggles.

"I don't enjoy ruining a good evening, but I have to ask," He says. "Are you alright?"

"Why would I be?" You ask.

He gives you a knowing look.

"You've been upset ever since you woke up that day," He says, expression softening. "And in the library, when Emma mentioned someone, you looked hurt. Who's Mattias?"

The warm feeling in your stomach shrinks as you sigh, a mixture of different feeling surfacing at once. Combined with the alcohol, you don't know exactly what to say, if anything.

>"It's nothing, really. I'm fine."
>"Mattias was...a friend."
>"Careful, Lieutenant. You're treading dangerous waters."

>>"Mattias was...a friend."

>"Careful, Lieutenant. You're treading dangerous waters."

"Mattias was...a friend," You admit. "He was with us for most of our lives before you rescued us."

"In Iceland?" Tobias asks.

"That's right," You nod. "He was one of the only ones there to try and tell us about where we really came from. Who we really were. In the end, he was the one that helped us escape, when..."

You cast your gaze downward, the words dying before they could form. Tobias places a gentle hand on your arm, squeezing.

"The Major said we had a friend inside, to help us get you all to safety," Tobias says. "I didn't know him personally, but the Major said he was a good man. I wish I could have met him."

"I think he would have liked you," You say.

Tobias smiles, and you return it.

"Enough of that, you two," Filip says, causing the two of you to pull back into your seats. "Time to get going."

"Right," Tobias nods, and with that you all clamber to your feet.

Most of the others make their way back to the truck by leaning on one another, drunkenly singing different songs at the same time. It brings a smile to your face. You hold onto Tobias' arm, though it's much more natural and relaxed than before. He offers no objection.

"I wish it could always be like this," You say, soft enough for only him to hear.

"That makes two of us," Tobias says. "We'll get there one day. I promise."

Humming contentedly, you nuzzle his arm and allow yourself to enjoy the moment, forgetting what tomorrow might bring.

Still trying to get back into the swing of questing regularly, so I apologize for the somewhat slow pace of things. Things will get exciting before too long, I promise.

I'm thinking of trying to stick to a schedule of a thread every Saturday. Only once a week, at least until I can regularly keep at it.

I noticed, not just with my quest, that activity is fairly sporadic. One post I'll get two votes, the next time I'll get half a dozen. Would it be better to move over to /qst/? Opinions are varied, to say the least.

>ould it be better to move over to /qst/? Opinions are varied, to say the least.
NO!

>Would it be better to move over to /qst/?
I mean if you want the quest to die then sure, Go ahead.

Thanks for running Argyle.
That's a terrible idea.

Yikes. Guess that settles that, then. Not that I mind. I like Veeky Forums. It's cozy here.

I'm not the usual guy, so I didn't.
I ask again: Why aren't you on the board dedicated for quests?

You have your own board. Go there.

We don't need quests here.

>Trial board
>Still not fucking mandatory