Went to the GW gs and got pict related

I am totally new to this stuff, beyond paying 20$ for 0.25$ of plastic i really felt out of my league.
The first time I went there was yesterday, because of you guys. All I wanted was the damn centos, ended up spending much more.

I just don't think this hobby is for me, I'm super old, and the old guys that were at the store had kids an reeked of IT money. Don't get me wrong i too have IT money, but these guys looked like original nerd boys that ended up in a profession that afforded them the financial freedom to buy as much plastic as they want.

I'm just a casual that likes imagination... I'm going to give the game store a chance by trying to go in when there's no one there. Maybe guy will help me paint (which I've never done before), but I really just want to play some turn based strat not be Pablo Picasso.

How do I get over this? I'm over 40 btw, i just want to try something new, maybe meet people, but a bit r9k ish as well. I really like the whole 40k, and don't mind the fantasy warhammer and that's why I don't want to have a negative opinion on what I saw this morning, but I feel like i don't belong...

Help?

You're interested in a hobby but worried you won't fit in because GW targets teenagers?

Lots of companies have a younger target audience. They do that so they can get them hooked at an early age and have them purchasing things sooner.

Remember that people who starting playing Warhammer and 40k in the late 80's and early 90's are older than the kids you saw in the store.

Talk to the manager sometime. Their job is getting people to purchase, paint, and play and they'll be able to get you started.

Also ask questions in 40k generals so you get more attention.

I wish my External Tech job payed decent, maybe I wouldnt feel so bad about spending money on Warhams. Im hoping it'll atleast look good on a resume and get me into a proper IT company.

Get out while you still can. It's called plasti-crack for a reason.

Having more money doesn't devalue money. If something is overpriced to you now, it will still be overpriced to you in the future when you have more money.

OP, could you elaborate? What exactly put you off? What appeals to you about this stuff? How familiar are you with GW's settings?

Depending on what you want and who you are,the miniature wargaming world is big and diverse enough to accommodate you I'm sure.

Not true. For instance, when I was in college, and broke, I couldn't justify paying for name brand Coca-Cola. My wife and I only purchased off-brand. Now that we are older and have a comfy household income, we only buy name brand because we prefer it regardless of price.

There are other pricier examples as well, but that's the first one that came to mind.

Nope. The characteristic of being "overpriced" has to do with the product, not how much money is in your wallet. What you're describing is being more comfortable with buying overpriced products once you have more money, but that doesn't make the product any less overpriced.

Whether a product is fairly priced or not has nothing to do with how much money you have.

My advice for a beginner like yourself? Painting the little buggers is an extra skill in itself and takes time, but is pretty rewarding when you get it down right, there's just aa lot of trial and error in the beginning.
WIP thread is good for pointers and advice, just watch the harsh criticism that'll come with the territory.

Youihht find some good deals on 2nd hand models that already painted pretty well, there's always as many people getting into the hooby as those that leave.
Finally, I'd recommend hobby clubs and the like over GW stores. They're there to sell models first and foremost.

If people are willing to pay for it then clearly it is not overpriced. There is no objective measure of value.

What if you don't get better. I painted or rather "painted" considering how they look, two armies. 750pts of WFB orcs and 1850pts of Imperial guard. And both armies look realy bad. I see absolutly no progress between the first and 80th guardsman I painted and there is almost 2 years between both of them being painted. Now as OP said, I do not want to start a pro painted studio or something, but because of the 3 color rule am actualy lowering the resell value of my models. I can imagine that it can be fun. One can earn money for painting and win prizes, if someone is good at it, but right now it feels like am forced to buy stuff I don't want and do stuff I do not like.

You're beyond help if you can't find strength in your own decisions at over 40. Who impulse buys like that because of nerds on Veeky Forums, especially at your age?

Fucking pathetic.

>I just don't think this hobby is for me, I'm super old, and the old guys that were at the store had kids an reeked of IT money.
>How do I get over this? I'm over 40 btw, i just want to try something new, maybe meet people, but a bit r9k ish as well.
This hobby isn't for you. Same goes for most hobbies - whether it be guns, computers, fishing, golf... if the pricetag on the gear feels not "worth it", you'll always be counting how many pennies you spent rather than actually enjoying the hobby.

Plenty of other tabletop games feature social aspects - board games, hex and counter wargames, tabletop roleplaying, and so on. There's also other miniatures games that are far more affordable - at the low end historicals tend to be fairly cheap, and then there are also other unique IP-brands like Infinity, Malifaux, Warmachine/Hordes, Kings of War, etc.

If it absolutely must be 40k, you can try buying online or secondhand.

>I really just want to play some turn based strat not be Pablo Picasso.
Probably you want hex and counter wargames, historicals, or literally any other miniatures game than a Games Workshop product.

A great deal of 40k's marketability comes from the modeling angle - the background fluff is large and diverse enough to allow for a lot of self-generated content. Contrast this with something like Privateer Press's Warmachine game, which is marketed much more around being a "competitive" game based around player skill.

yeah, but if your friends pay their 600$ and get armies that are fun. And the 600$ of your faction is not fun, then it kind hard not to look at the price. Specialy when the A holes store owners think up stupid rules like re-rolls to hit on unpainted stuff, and other people good armies suddenly get even better when playing vs your faction which was already facing an up hill battle when played.

unless GW stores have gotten better since I last went to one, idk why you'd go unless you needed something exclusive like you got today. I shouldn't sound so harsh, it's been a really long time since I've been to one, and I've met some cool gamers at GW stores before. but the staff always felt on edge and always trying to make customers buy product, and stories from other gamers have always been the same.

unless you live in the middle of nowhere I'd suggest looking for a FLGS. you might find more players who're casual that way, and the staff might actually be helpful without being pushy.

also painting is one of the better parts of the hobby. actually I've kinda stopped playing games like 40k, but still enjoy painting miniatures.

shit dawg, is that at a GW store? if it is, this is only further proving what I said about GW stores lol

It is not a GW store. Closest GW store to me is in Poland or Finland. Over 1000km from where I live.

oh well. no GW stores in... Russia? Ukraine? I'm bad with Eastern European geography lol

I guess it's good (??) to know that halfway across the world there are gamestore owners who're total asshats lmao

>There is no objective measure of value

In a free market, this statement is objectively wrong.

We have a thing in the West called "street price." If, say, GW overprices models and they stop shifting the numbers they used to, they never lower prices back to where volumes peaked because they're a stupid, scummy little company run by ignorant slobs.

But does their plummeting sales volume mean that people have stopped playing GW games? Of course not - except for an isolated few, we're just not buying retardedly overpriced merch from GW any more. We get it elsewhere, because - wait for it - we're willing to pay the objectively fairer street prices easily discoverable on the internet.
Yes, it's GW's right to act as stupidly as they like, and price their plastic army men as arbitrarily high as they want. Fortunately, people who aren't greedy and stupid have rights, too.

>getting BNIB models for 40% of RRP
In what fucking universe?

His shitty head.

Have you considered painting your models instead of whining? It's an important part of the hobby, the main draw for many in fact.

I try to, but in order to stay competitive I have to rotate to new factions and formations quicker than I can paint them. The lore and story doesn't matter to me. I prefer to use 40k as an exercise in mental acuity.

>trying to stay competitive in 40k
You have nothing to blame but yourself.

an intersting thing i've found about 40k, and tabletop games in general, is while they might be aimed at teens/kids the majority of the people who play them are in their 30s or older. you might find a few teens at say LVO, which is a big national tournament, but the majority of the professional have to be adults well past their 20s.

i feel like an odd ball myself since i'm black and in my 20s. i know i already stick out in this crowd but i like it still.

>We have a thing in the West called "street price."
Yo nigga, nice neighborhood you have there.