/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Woodland Man Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus except Therana please.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Threadly reminder to remove n'wah scum.

Remember, Sotha Sil is the best god because he's the only one that knows how to fix your computer.

damn straight

Could you build a computer in TES using hundreds of raised corpses

What do you think the Necromancer's Moon looks like.

Well yeah, that's how Mannimarco shitposts on sporechan

Just take over the Soul Cairn.

I like him because he's presented in the canon as sort of a tragic figure; the member of the Tribunal that was probably once the most compassionate out of all of them, but grew isolated and introverted in godhood. It makes the few things he does do far more interesting because you have no idea why he's doing it, and in Tribunal you actually think he's a bad guy until it's too late, and even the brief glimse we get of him is that of an inhuman, broken figure that is possibly more machine than man, and we can't honestly tell if he looks Chimer or Dwemer or something more mannish. That's the power of Sotha Sil, really - the mystery, the mysticism (which he was portrayed as having a great understand of) of him. The only impressions you get of him are brief and rare, but are all the more powerful for its impact. You can't really call him the forgotten member of the Tribunal just because that sort of portrayal forces him to stick in your mind.

So that's why I find any attempt to explain him, humanize him, or add detail to him and his motivations to be in poor taste. It takes away from the tragedy of his shift from a human to very inhuman figure, and takes away the impact he has on the player/reader, and the fact that he is very open to interpretation on if he was good, bad, or far too neutral. All you get is a broken mask and a rictus scream.

Forgot pic because I'm a faggot

That would be valid if Sotha Sil didn't have characterization and motivation in tons of other canon works.

And a lot of him lacking fluff was because they ran out of time.

you know what could have helped them with running out of time?
a dragon break

Considering what else Bethesda hasn't managed to get enough focus on, I'm willing to take Sotha Sil not getting the limelight he might deserve. Almalexia isn't that fluffed out, and Vivec is very mysterious even though the player gets to talk to him a lot in Morrowind. I still don't even know how they saw or treated each other - were they comrades in deceit, reluctant allies, or even friends who understood each other where no one else possibly could?

''Young Sotha Sil, while playing in the egg mines, saw a number of scribs in a deep shaft, and he began to cast stones upon them, snickering as they skittered and scattered, until one of the scribs, lifting its head up in agony, cried out to Sotha Sil: "Please, please, have mercy, little boy, for what is sport to you is suffering and death to us."
And so Sotha Sil discovered that the idle of amusements of one may be the solemn tortures of another.''

Dragoning the break because you want more time is like chopping off your dick because you want to get laid more.

They liked each other enough to have threesomes

I'm pretty sure that at the time of Morrowind they hadn't talked in ages.

Vivec keeps the ghostgate up alone while Sotha Sil and Almalexia are doing other things.

JUSTICE

DEATH TO THE WAIFUFAGS

trainwiz I'm still waiting for justification on why you think TLD is immortal, because the rejoining akatosh in death deal really doesn't count. Being infowiped and having your soul resources re-consumed by a bigger soul doesn't constitute continued existence any more than the other mortals as far as I can tell.

That was a children's book meant to teach moral lessons. That would be like using a picturebook version of the bible to explain the character of Jesus.

Pelinal and Morihaus vs. the Tribunal, who would win?

>who would win?
the audience

>they hadn't talked in ages
They did communicate enough to lose Sunder and Keening at Red Mountain only ten years before the Nerevarine stepped in.

I don't remember talking about LBD being immortal. I can't find anything in my post history. I talk about the Nerevarine being immortal.
I mean if you want a reason at least, Miraak as Henrietta Mora's slave apparently was able to stay alive for untold centuries Something was keeping him alive, and the Dragonborn inherited that position.

Hammar in the librarium says that the dragonborn is somewhat immortal by virtue of being a fragment of akatosh when asked how to become immortal, I wanted to understand the logic and sources as to why you thought this to be the case.

You said it yourself, he's a fragment of akatosh. That's what Hammar means by "sort of immortal"

It feels like a lot of the heroes are getting excused in some way or another to be left in the wings for a later date. Nerevarine is vaguely missing, Hero of Kvatch is a god, and LBD is probably in Miraak's place...

I swear, if c0da doesn't have all the past heroes deciding to hold together creation and giving the elves the plot device they need to not get totally fucked so they can escape to the moons, then I deserve MK's drug coffin.

Dragons were immortal yet were still apparently capable of being killed off. Immortality is weird in TES. The other dragonborns either ended up as gods but still "died". It seems to translate to "special soul privileges" seeing as I can't think of anything in TES that is truly immortal, in the sense that it's invincible. Even the Tribunal with their powers could die, they'd just reform later.

That's a bit of a dodgey answer, because other than saying that there's no real proof that being a fragment makes you live longer. All known dragonborn besides mirrak have either died in battle at a normal age or appear to have died of natural causes like illness and old age, and upon death the soul of a dragonborn rejoins with akatosh, suffering infodeath, so that doesn't really sound like immortality in any way. Was the statement by Hammar more a deflection of the question rather than a proper answer?

That's just it, I'd like to know what hammar means by "somewhat immortal", because I can't find any situation of a dragonborn naturally living longer or being less vulnerable in body or spirit than any other normal mortal. I mean, sure, their soul resources get sent to one place normally rather than dispersed and re-used like other mortal souls, but the end result is their soul loses its identity as far as I can tell. The only counterpoint to that is that dragons can be revived, suggesting that while in the akatosh mothersoul they still retain individual identity, but that's a bit of a stretch.

apologies for the autism on my part for the matter, but Hammar's statement just does not seem accurate.

Well what dragonborns do we know of? All the ones we do know of also went on to become gods.

>I'd like to know what hammar means by "somewhat immortal"

Superpowers and godhood.

Alyssa and Reman died and, unless I missed something, did not ascend to physical godhood beyond becoming culture heroes. Tiber and Wulfharth both got out of being joined to Akatosh by joining themselves to Lorkhan, which doesn't exactly make things much different for them, save the power level of the god they chose, and Mirrak's likely only being kept alive by Mora rather than being able to just live that long, though I would be happy if he actually was able to just up and live that long.

Really, the argument here as I see it is "Akatosh is immortal, dragonborn are fragments of Akatosh therefore dragonborn are immortal", but there really isn't a whole lot of evidence to suggest this. All canon dragonborn save the two skyrim guys have proper death dates, and the ones that didn't get merged into Akatosh seemed to have only changed the god they did get merged into.

That said, I may be lacking information, does anyone know anything about Alyssa or Reman that could help counter my argument? I would like to know more, TLD being canon immortal in some definable way would please me, but I just do not see how they could be with what I've read.

Cultural hero-gods are more or less gods. Reman especially.

Altmer are just really tall, really pretty goblins.
Prove me wrong.

They keep goblin slaves. Why would they keep slaves of their own race?

honestly it wouldn't surprise me if altmer kept the weak-minded or frail of their kind as slaves.

I'm in an Elder Scrolls mood, but I'm not sure what to play.

I haven't really gotten into Daggerfall and I want to wait for Daggerfall XL/Daggerfall Unity to be developed more.

I kind of want to replay Morrowind and I think it's been long enough that I've forgotten most of it. How's OpenMW? How's Skywind?

There's always ESO, although even when it's on sale it seems pretty expensive. I'm not really into MMOs either.

Well dragon is the part associated with time, so wouldn't it be breaking your dragon because you want more time

Dang does the LDB look awesome, but also kinda out of place.

>Skywind

I like some of their artwork, but I don't see any hope for the project.

It would be like humans having human slaves, can you imagine that? Oh, wait...

You can get ESO for 10 bucks, I think it's worth 10 bucks.

But you don't get the dlc with it

I don't see what you mean.

Not that guy but I considered getting it on sale just so I could walk around, check the landscapes and check the cities, if the gameplay has anything to it then that's just a bonus.

Unfortunately I don't have enough space on my hard drive to download it.

But at least in TES, humans don't keep human slaves. They don't really practice much slavery at all. Even dunmer rarely enslave their own kin, preferring beast races and humans.

Dragonbone armor, Konahriik's mask, 2 elder scrolls, Miraak's staff, Miraak's sword.

There are dunmer slaves IIRC, and you have to see them as more or less equally sentient beings enslaving each other, just like the European did with more or less equally sentient beings.

I worded that terribly, I mean that humans also seldom enslaved their people, they mostly enslaved other races.

You mean real life or in TES?

Usually n'wahs in any case. Or Houseless bastards, must be.
Otherwise their thil would come to their aid.

The pictures seem to be assuming those are what the heroes are like at the end of their respective games, having gotten the best stuff.

The Eternal Champion has Chrysamere, Jagar Tharn's Staff, and what I assume is pretty good armor. The Agent has Spellbreaker, the Staff of Magus and the Totem of Tiber Septim. The Nerevarine has Sunder and Wraithguard, as well as both the Fork of Horripilation and the Spear of Bitter Mercy.

I guess it's weird that they included stuff from the DLC for the Skyrim character, but the Champion of Cyrodiil is obviously stuck as Sheogorath, which would mean completing the Shivering Isles DLC...so I guess the artist just forgot the Morrowind DLCs. Eh. Still nothing really weird about TLD.

Real life

Read the conversation

Morrowind had expansion packs, though.

But humans do enslave their own race, an act often fueled by the acquisiton of slaves by separate groups.
Though I have no idea why this should even be discussed in this specific weekend thread.
We should be discussing the SUPERIOR MER.

Like I said, I guess he just forgot. Still doesn't make the Dragonborn particularly weird.

No, you said DLC.

I'm being autistic because DLC is cancer and expansion packs provided actual things.

Sorry.

Skyrim had expansions, not DLC.

Pft. Naw. Not like how expansions used to be. You used to get big shit or entirely new games, now it's just a few maps or a gimmick.

> straight white male Tribunals
Wat?

Hearthfire was good (it didn't add a lot but it was cheaper so it's ok), dawnguard was ok but dragonborn was fucking fantastic.

I am of poor.

You see those cliff racers? You can kill them.

Legendary edition Skyrim can get pretty cheap on steam sales, you could pick it up then.

You can pirate the expansions on a legit copy...

See, breaking the law shouldn't be an actual recommendation
This isn't "day one dlc on disk" that's just trying to get more money from you

I know, I know, Bethesda's expansions are amongst the few I pay for, but if the guy has no money and the game's 5 years old...

OpenNW is fully playable.

You can pirate the expansions on a pirate copy.

Why no Hero of Kvatch?

He's in the background.

Ahh. Thank you. I did not see that.

>The Eternal Champion has Chrysamere, Jagar Tharn's Staff, and what I assume is pretty good armor.
He's wearing plate armour, and has the Oghma Infinium with him.

>Totem
That's the Mantella.

I think the guy owns the game, but not the expansions

That means he's an idiot. Just like me.

Same

The Nerevarine is carrying the Spear of the Hunter, though, which you got in Bloodmoon.

The funny thing is that Nerevarine wears the Boots of Blinding Speed.

> The funny thing is that Nerevarine wears the Boots of Blinding Speed.
Boots of Blinding Speed do not blind you, if you use them with Royal Signet Ring. Those Boots were actually pretty cool, once you have items to negate their blinding effect.

>not spending 200 septims on an easy to cast 100% resist magic for 1 second
I bet you don't even have levitate, filthy martial.

>Waiting till Tribunal to use them.
Just use a spell of resist magicka 100 or 50% for 1 second, or use Savior's Hide.

My N'wah! Boots of blinding speed and an enchantment or spell of Levitate 1 point for 90 seconds, any travel is no longer an issue.

I like to hear a helm with googles like Boiled Netch Leather or Dark Brotherhood when I fly, though. Helps me roleplay that my eyes don't dry out.

"Hey, asshole! I want my fork back!"

Most of the cities look almost eactly the same, which is a real shame, but some landscapes are indeed nice. Also honestly, for a MMO it's a pretty good game and I'm saying it as a person who generally dislikes multiplayer games. It's even not really bad plotwise as long as you treat it as fanfiction and ignore lore fucking (which isn't THAT visible for a casual tes player anyway)

>metagaming
Faggets.

Morrowind was pretty much 100% about gaming the system.

Because the game was cheating, too.

Maybe if you are an n'wah.

sorry

> Maybe if you are an n'wah.
There is no way to not be an n'wah in Morrowind. Even after defeating Dagoth Ur and saving Morrowind from the Sixth House, you are still an outlander.

>wanting to walk around mountains
>wanting to deal with being attacked by rats and kwama every minute
I bet you don't use mark or recall either.

Why did the Dwemer build a giant robot out of FUCKING BRASS?

My brain doesn't even recognize creatures with less than 120 hp.

They planned to reinforce it with themselves

> Why did the Dwemer build a giant robot out of FUCKING BRASS?
Because it is their dwemeri magical brass. Metallurgy works way different in TES compared to RL

It's possible to roleplay some part and not roleplay others.

>I like to hear a helm with googles like Boiled Netch Leather or Dark Brotherhood when I fly, though
now THIS is cliff racing

Argh, I wanna see unique architecture in each city. Morrowind had architecture based on great house affiliation, each Oblivion city was unique, Skyrim not so much (5 unique cities, 4 generic) but it's still there.

What's a good place I can use as a home in Morrowind? Maybe one of those Velothi towers?

quads of truth