EDH/Commander General

"Nin is probably the closest thing we'll get to a UR artificer" edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/local-wizard-steals-everything/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/assembled-from-the-grave/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>want to build Melek but don't want to go the whole Storm/Big X Spells route
>realize that Izzet is THE color combo for mind control stuff
I am going to steal everyone's shit and I'm going to beat them to death with their own creatures. It's going to be spectacularly awful and I'm going to love every second of playing it

2nd for let's start the sol ring shitposting early

Funny that you posted NIn because I just got a game in with her for the first time this afternoon.
>Play Mages
>Poke my own dudes for cards
>Mana rocks up the wazoo
>Platinum Emperion somewhere, people don't do shit to me since I was just sitting down not being a threat
>Fuck ton of mana = Psychosis Crawler/Phyrexian Metamorph and a Nin.

Still felt janky as hell and needs improving. I can't imagine bringing this to a competitive table but everyone was bringing their laid-back decks anyway so.

That actually sounds really fun. Make your wincon copying a mind control effect enough times to steal someone's entire board and kill them with it

you realize that melek only copies instants and sorceries from your top deck right?

nothing inherently wrong with what you said i just find it a bit puzzling that somebody "wants to build melek" but doesnt want to storm or cast big spells, his ability expressly has to do with casting instants and sorceries

maybe your idea of storm/big x spells is more specific than mine is so ill give you the benefit of the doubt, but just intuitively you would think theres another blue red commander that fits the "steal every one's shit" theme better

nin seems way way better for that strat

steal your opponents creatures that pelt them with nin damage, drawing you a bunch of cards and killing your opponents creatures before you have to give them back

Sol Ring did nothing wrong.

The worst part about threaten effects is typically the negative card economy. One way to get around this is an aristocrats deck. Future sight type effects basically dig through your deck every time you use them, thus negating the primary drawback without relying on sac outlets.

here we have a pseudoperson, its like a person but lacking the capacity for rational thought

I just wanted to take a different route. It'd work in my group

And I was thinking with scry and digging effects it might work, lots of topdeck manipulation

I never realized that Nin was so stacked, what the fuck

grade A tits

she's pretty expensive but you wont find another dominatrix with her combination of assets and skills

>you would think theres another blue red commander that fits the "steal every one's shit" theme better
There really isn't, which sucks. Mizzix, maybe

nin seems like the best choice

i agree that the UR options are limited tho

I suppose. I just think Melek's ability is rad as fuck and wanted to try something different with him

I think I'll build it anyway and change to Nin if it's subpar

sorry i thought i was talking to a different poster or i wouldnt have repeated myself, made it seem like im trying to make you feel bad for choosing melek

i think melek will do fine, future sight is a powerful card in general and so are steal effects, also i think copying a bribery off the top of your deck seems spicy

>Copying a Bribery with High Tide, Twincast and Reiterate in hand

Magical Christmasland abound

Also it didn't come off as making me feel bad, I'm a Johnny to my core and love the weird shit that comes up in this format, so Melek lets me do it at least twice

user, how did you know I was making a Jhoira artificer deck? I just put it together today, it's pretty radical actually. Playing Feldon and Muzzio at the same time feels delicious.

Your wincon needs to be Hive Mind+Eternal Dominion.

Put a Dual Casting on Melek. It's like Christmas came early every single game!

You brilliant mad bastard

>Hive Mind+Eternal Dominion
This sounds like hell

Also if I copy Eternal Dominion off the topdeck with Melek, do I get to search twice? How the fuck would that be a wincon with Melek spellslingan?

>mfw I just realized she works wonders with Stuffy Doll

Go to bed Sol Ring, no one wants you here.

How often does the game turn into archenemy for you Veeky Forums? Is it usually deserved or do you just have a shitty group that has the worst threat assessment?

Dont forget sac effects
>steal their shit
>hit them with it
>sacrifice them all

>You brilliant mad bastard
You're damn right, you better do it.

>This sounds like hell
It's an amazing situation. It's like the Great Snake Mistake but possibly more hilarious.

>It's like the Great Snake Mistake but possibly more hilarious.
But how does it WORK when it's on your topdeck

Do you copy it and you get to search twice? And everyone else only gets to search once?

>But how does it WORK when it's on your topdeck
If you have Eternal Dominion as the topdeck with Melek (or if you copy it via Twincast or whatever), you get two copies, yeah. With a Melek and a Hive Mind, you get two copies and everyone else gets one, every turn forever, yes. IF you're on "clone my own spell tribal", it'd be a deeply enjoyable way to end games.

>nin steal-burn-draw

I brewed such a deck once upon a time. It tended to cost hideous amounts of mana to pull off anything of interest. 3 mana for a threaten effect, URx where x= toughness. Ideal plays involve, I dunno, taking something with a valuable tap effect or something, and it takes a bare minimum of 6 mana, assuming you took a 1 toughness creature. 6 mana is a lot to remove a creature, draw a card, and maybe get an effect off the creature.

currently building izzet spell slinger

I want to abuse precursor and hedron grinder. Probably that one eldrazi that mirrorwaves your board acordingly to the top of your deck.
I'm looking at things with more awesome utility like blue single targets spells that cantrip and would be good to copy. also red spells that deal x number of damage that I cam assign after copies are made.

I want to live the dream, help me out Veeky Forums

chamber of manipulation is a great card

Oh it's entirely deserved when I play Godo. That deck blows them out real bad

only when my deck is op as well as annoying. I've built decks that run the table into the ground but I'm pretty chill and have a ton of variety in power level across my decks. I can usually keep the salt at a minimum level unless I'm really trying to antagonize.

one game in a 2v me because I was brutalizing a guy with no defence and keeping maelstrom wanderer.deck off his colours with LD. to be fair the wanderer deck was a dick known to get butt hurt.

Yeah this is a good point, the only way it really works the way you want it is to have lots of automatic steal effects like dominus of fealty

>chamber of manipulation
True that. And there are a few options in terms of threaten effects that don't break the bank in terms of mana cost. Things that trigger later, like roil elemental, or as mentioned, dominus of fealty. But such cards often few and far between, as well as vulnerable, and all are a bitch to tutor for in UR. So it's a pretty difficult strategy to wield to any impressive effect, as much as it appeals to me.

Now, Brion Stoutarm threaten deck, I can get behind that.

>Gisa
Fucking zombies everywhere

>Alesha
Reanimator value/combo

>Gahiji
Naya Planeswalkers aka tokens and fogs

>Olivia 2.0
Casual Vampire Tribal

What should I build next? My collection of decks is slowly rebuilding after I took them all apart. I have tons of ideas, but I feel like they'll just be decks I've played before.

the problem I have with that is the lack of recurring effects in the colors while blue has stuff like seasinger, empress Galina, that artifact you tap for power

So I made an Avacyn, Angel of Hope anti-removal deck but I found exile and sacrifice are around every corner.
Should I try to retool it into a Sigarda deck?
I just want a deck where my stuff stays on the battlefield for once.

What's the best WRB commander for an enchantment based deck. I'm building manifest blink. I also need ways to bounce the enchantment that manifest cards and manifested spells to cast from hand.

deck should go like morph/manifest blink or bounce for profit. it's probably going to be durdley but my current playgroup are pretty chilled and I need to show them something fun instead of power creep.

Doesn't sound like WRB at all. Sounds like you want Roon or Brago or something. Flickering the cloudforms and lightforms. I don't know of any particularly good mardu commanders for that purpose.

yes adding all of the indestructible things like gods and darksteel things, kaldra's armour etc. things like adding protection from colors would also be good. if your meta is too wrathful play against that. nothing changes a meta faster than making cards dead in hand.

Mardu colors are pretty bad for this, you want Roon if you're doing Morph/Manifest tribal

I want it basically for the great enchantment support and red has better morphs than green. I think brago lends itself to a more voltrony build that I'm confortable with. I'm guessing I can wait for those 4 colour comamders wurg deck for the win.

No Blue? No Voltron? No beatface?

Then go either the following:
>Bruna
Pros: Prettiest of the three Avacyn Sisters, can bitchslap someone with a single combo/Intuition. Tends to be played Auratron/Combo.
Cons: Can feel very one trick.
>Jenara
Pros: Can be built plenty of ways: Enchantress, Countersmatter, good stuff, etcetc. 3 drop Flyer for 3 makes for a alternative Commander damage wincon.
Cons: Vanilla as shit. Bant in general is pretty samey.
>Daxos of Meletis
Pros: Shirtless badass gets in there no problem. Can hold a sword. His theft ability can be useful.
Cons: Good luck with the rest of the deck.
>Medomai, the Ageless
Pros: Actually not bad. Extra turns are always welcome. Encourages saboteur effects and control.
Cons: Can't swing a second time himself.
>Zur, the Enchanter
Pros: It's fucking Zur.
Cons: It's fucking Zur.

sigarda is better than avacyn for this but in my opinion trying to keep your stuff on the field is a losing battle, wizards decided (unfairly, in my opinion) that its more bullshit to face a board of unremovable creatures than it is to be unable to ever stick a creature on the board for more than a turn

so they made cyclonic rift and toxic deluge, etc, etc

instead you should supplement hexproof and indestructible effects with recursion. its more effective to plan on your shit getting removed, just to bring it back afterward

white-green is great for this but white-green-black is probably the ideal color combo

You forgot
>Shu Yun

Welp, I've been on a deck building spree as of late, or at the very least brewing up a storm. My irl decks at the moment include

>Xenagos, God of Beatsticks
Midrange Xenagos that needs major retooling and a revamp of the mana curve but was my first deck that I've kept for a while. Have had it for over a year now and is still pretty fun,

>Kothophed
Fat mana mono-black control with a heavy amount of artifact ramp and removal. Is actually incredibly fun, still needs some things like Toxic Deluge and eventually damnation

>OG Sigarda
WG goodstuff with a decent amount of ramp and is my slowest, but in general most fair deck. Sigarda is just a nice beatstick/five drop for the deck. Still needs a lot of cards but it's been working well for me so far.

Now I'm thinking about what to build next if not just retooling Xenagos or making it into Atarka. Was thinking Kruphix since it's relatively easy to build as a control deck

one option i recommend is captain sisay

it lets you find the silver bullet protection you need when you need it instead of it sitting in the command zone letting everybody know when and what they need to wipe your board

one of my favorite ways to play sisay is to get a yeva nature's herald out reasonably early and then just react to my opponents attempts to remove my things one at a time, sacrifice effect comes out, i flash in sigarda, somebody targets sisay with an exile effect, i flash in new sigarda, board wipe happens? i flash in saffi eriksdotter to keep sisay on the board so i can rebuild immediately

even if you dont go with sisay, you can look at my decklist to give you ideas on sigarda if you like

i especially recommend ghostway and the new card Eerie Interlude as catch-all options for dodging boardwipes

they work especially well with eternal witness, and also seedborn muse, eternal witness to get them back so you can dodge the next board wipe, and seedborn muse so you can be tapping out and flashing in threats on each turn while still leaving up mana to dodge board wipes

Are there any soldier token generators in mono red, especially those that are activated from red mana payments?

Say, in conjunction with a braid of fire?

Not in mono red to my knowledge, sorry. What deck is it for?

Soldier tokens.

Which commander?

Is colorless close enough?

according to gatherer, there are 6 red cards that have the words "soldier" "creature" "token" in their rules text, only 1 is mono red, akroan crusader

4 of the other 5 are red white dual colored, 1 is hybrid red-white

assemble the legion
blaze commando
goblin trenches
rise of the hobgoblins
sunhome guildmage

of those, goblin trenches and sunhome guildmage interact with braid of fire decently well, being activated abilities

but blaze commando could theoretically be used with braid of fire if you run instant speed burn spells

Red/White, probably Aurelia.

No blue right now, but I have Force and Snapcasters. You are also correct about no voltron. I was thinking about doing Tromokratis, which covers both.

>Bruna
Done to death in my meta

>Jenara
Agreed that Bant is pretty much cancer. I have thought about doing Bantwalkers instead of Naya, which opens up more combat tricks. Jenara would be a decent lead.

>Daxos
He's cool with a neat ability, and I have a full Sword package I'm not using. I fear it would end up as too much generic UW, which I've already done to death.

>Medomai
I have a signed one, actually, and I've thought about it. I have a bunch of time magic from my old Jeleva deck. My problem is I think it wouldn't be much fun to play long term.

>Zur
Nah. Too easy. I took apart my old decks because they were too consistent in my meta. Most then anyway. I had 14 of them. I don't want to touch Zur because I know what I'm capable of doing with him.

Then I'd say Assemble the legion is overall your best bet for dude making, make sure to include impact tremors and purph because they're pretty good ways to ramp up the damage. Goblin Trenches is pretty cool if you have a way of getting the land back a la Sun Titan

How do people win with zur?

One guy in my meta built him but ended up taking it apart because zur kept dying in response to equipping boots, or the boots got destroyed or he just got board wiped the next turn

I have a feeling that he built his deck to be too reliant on zur and should've focused on a more general esper control shell and devoted just a few slots to his zur tutor toolbox

Hi guys. Totally new to Magic, a couple of friends and I are getting into it. Where's the best place to learn my way around? I'm a competent hearthstone player, but aside from that the only card game I have considerable experience in is Yugioh which I played as a kid.

if you have at least 4 friends total trying to play, i recommend drafts, dont really work with 2 or 3 players but if you got 4, they are perfect for noobs to learn

you can look up the rules of magic on the internet but the basics come real quick as you play, and the specifics of the more confusing stuff you'll figure out over time as the situations arise, dont fret because lots of veterans dont know all the different rules situations either, they get along just fine with knowledge of the important parts

The lgs is also a good place for info, also decide what format(s) you guys are looking into if its edh pick up some preconstructed commander decks and go wild then as you get more experienced try adding your own cards, also OPs post has alot of good sites on everything commander

Reanimator, boyo. Zealous conscripts, molten primordial, that one manticore. And then you run sweet sweet white reanimate effects. Feldon, too.

I've not made the deck, but I have a Feldon deck that is loaded down with steal effects and sac outlets, and has operated much to my liking. I imagine there are a lot of parallels, but with sweet white reanimation. Also, the ability to destroy enchantments, thank god.

Mobilization is pretty sweet too.

I have a question. Does Nim Deathmantle + Ashnod's Altar + Sprouting Thrinax go infinite? I could have sworn I saw this work and put it into my deck and tried to do it with some buddies and It doesn't seem like it does but I could be terribly wrong.

You will get 2 1/1 creature each time so yes

>put mantle on thrinax
>sac thrinax to altar (2) mana
>put mantle then thrinax death effects on the stack
>create 3 creatures from thrinax
>sac a creature to altar (4)mana
>Activate deathmantle and put thrinax into play
You have a thrinax+mantle attached and 2 1/1 saprolings
Repeat

Add purphoros for maximum kek

Or Mitotic Slime with Altar and Deathmantle.

oh ok cool thanks! I figured so bu needed some clarification.

Yeah he is already in there for the most amount of keks possible

Just won a crazy 2headed giant edh game with a nekuar deck. I finished off with a wheel in deal, a response of a mortify to nekuzar, we respond by casting my increasing vengence, followed by two of my nephilim teammates reiterate, bought back and casted again. I finished it off with a flashback on increasing vengence to seal the deal and used my opponents stolen sol ring for the last mana we needed to pull it off.

*Nekuzar
Its late

If you're gonna fix your writing, at least fix it properly. It's only one letter, but jesus christ, or is the 'z' a meme that I haven't heard of?
If it is, Nekuzzzar would be better since he's so boring that every his deck puts me to sleep.

Your joke literally cured my insomnia

Thank you, I'll see you tomorrow

The only deck I currently have complete is Ezuri.

Darien and Mayael are being built from the pieces of a Tajic and a Tolsimir.

i know its a huge mana sink but nin's effect plus threaten effects would net you a bunch of cards and kill there creatures at least. i suppose a basilisk collar would fix that

Draft is the best way for netting cards, learning deckbuilding and just having fun.

What kind of stuff should I run as sac outlets? Ashnod's Altar/Greater Gargadon? I don't usually run a lot of sac outlets so this is new for me

I'm planning on buying one pre constructed commander deck. Whick one is the most competitive and which one got more value?
RW deck looks cool but dunno if I should invest in it.

Forgot to mention it but Im talking baout this year preconstructed commanders.

I dislike Mayael almost as much as I do the cascade slot machine dude. Both strike me as dumb commanders with mainly luck factor. Then again, I think that the players who play those are dumb and just want to maximize the threats and do nothing else but play lottery. Same kind of players who lose to Pithing Needle for not playing removal. Sadly, their only strategy is to play Mayael and hope to hit threats with her.
It's kinda sad, really.

It mainly depends on your interests and style of play. The BW one seems to be pretty bad, but BG and UR seem to be pretty solid. I got the UG one and I thought it was fun, but the deck offers no tricks and is pretty boring. Same goes for the RW one, but I think that Anya and Kalemne are decent, but the latter is just a dumb beater. Depends on your meta, but here's my insights.

Nah you want Carnage Altar and Culling Dais

So, they vary is your answer.

Value-wish, UR/RW are the best, UG/BG are ok but unexciting, and BW is shit.
Competitive-wise: UG/BG are far and away the best out of the box, UR is solid, RW is pretty meh, and BW is shit.

Overall: BW is shit, don't buy it. The others are all decent in their own way. Personally, I'd probably buy two decks: UR and BG. The commanders are mostly excellent, the decks are solid, and there's decent value scattered among them.

mayael lottery is half the fun though

i just want a deck that i can play big stuff with and mayael does that pretty well

Alright /edh/ I finished it

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/local-wizard-steals-everything/

It'd never stand up in a high-power meta but I want to give it a shot, and could use suggestions on what to add/cut. Definitely needs more lands

Empress Galina could get cut. She puts a huge, huge target on your back. You could probably sub that in for a boardwipe, I don't see any in here

Mark of Mutiny isn't great either because it's a permanent buff on an opponent's creature, and that could come back to bite you in the ass

What are some good budget enchantments or artifacts for a gringrim zombie token deck? I'm making a casual somewhat decent deck to play with my sister and i'm new to mtg so I don't know the older spells.

What are the best commanders for making BIG hydras?

I'm having a shit ton of fun brewing Meren

Omnath?

>Have cards in the mail.
>They were supposed to arrive tomorrow, but they normally come earlier from TCG, so expecting them today.
>Last night I got a package update that said "Arrived at Hub" in the town I live in.
>No idea what that shit means, has never happened before, and our town doesn't have a distribution hub.
>It hasn't updated in like a day and a half now.
>They updated the delivery date to today.
>Still no update, or sign of the mailman.
>I'm going to go play Commander today, but with no new decks apparently.
FUCK OFF USPS

>Mail doesn't run on Memorial Day

>Kruphix big mana
>assorted simic general with +1/+1 counter synergy
>rosheen meanderer
>marath
>animar
>mazirek

Jarad could be sweet, since you can then burn people with huge hydras, but there is not any direct synergy.

Holy fuck. I am platinum mad right now. I completely forgot about Memorial Day. Why the fuck would they change the date to today then? God damn.

Rosheen meanderer is a fun card for that. Toss in some more accelerants and go to town on people.

>Wondering why a government-run organization would do something stupid

Is rosheen's ability that good though? Ive seen people using her for hydra tribal but im not sure why.

So here is the third update of my Mimeoplasm deck I've been working on for-fucking-ever.

Major changes:
>took out most of the shitty mill
>removed dead weight cards
>focused on +1/+1 counter/discard theme
>beefed up the removal package
>threw in some more bombs

What do you guys think? I know I need more protection from flying, but I'm hoping that spot-removal will be good enough. The average CMC is just below 4, and if I'm lucky I'll get at least one rock or dork early game and be in good shape.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/assembled-from-the-grave/

Chasm Skulker seems like it might be up your alley.

>Chasm Skulker
Amazing, absolutely perfect. It's going in there right now. Overall, does it look competitive? My playgroup is moderately serious, but not quite Spikes.

Gets you a 4/4 at least

Also with Thousand-Year Elixir you can do it twice

Anyone? pls help