Setting Inspiration - Local Parks

I wanna run a game set in forest world. Ideas?

Thinking early pioneer flavored, very human vs wilds-centric.

Read:
The Word for World is Forest
Midworld
The Integral Trees.

Then come back and discuss.

Hey I'll look 'em up.

Currently the driving muse is daily hikes in the local park (Cumberland Gap NHP, where these photos are from) with my fat beagle. I'll have to check into those titles.

A big step is system selection. The gang's most used to Wizards' products and PF, but I'd rather try to branch out and test the grain of some other stuff.

I have some pics from my last vacations in the patagonia. Are you interested?

>I also have this on my setting:

>After taking a fairy tales course, I learned how the versions Grimms, Disney and others wrote down congealed what were dynamic oral stories, in which characters and dangers were freely swapped according to the boredom of your audience. In most tales, only two elements were constant and immune to anything: the narrator and the florest.

>I combined those into the Ent Narrative: the combined talking and description of countless sentient trees, shaping their territory through a form of true word magic.

>They covered the entire continent, and kept the young humanoid races in the paleolithic so that they would never become a threat as the primordial race they descended from was.

>Accepting gifts, food and water, interacting with the feyfolk, all were ilusionary ways of enthralling mortals into the Narrative, dissolving their individuality. Fey do not live or die, they just pop and are gone as the Ents tell it so.

>The continent 'Culture Heroes', the Unmaginables, contested this, created space for mortal expansion, for nomads to become sedentary farmers, to writing to be. They also were the archetype from which all adventurers are based on.

>Farms needed that trees be cut down, writing something made it resistant to the Narrative.

>The Ents lost most of the continent, until they created a river to divide feyland from any other land, the 'Liminal Border' which usually marks enchanted forests.

>The Unmaginables' bloodlines provide the blood catalyst that makes iron into cold iron, the most horrifying poison to fey.

>Full of grief, loss and hate, they made a weapon from such bloodlines: the orc.

>A orc is like a gorilla, a morloc or a Frazetta's beastman, hairy, ugly and beastly,, except for: their scar tissue is made of bone; their bones accumulate the iron they digest; this iron is metabolized into cold iron; an orc corpse will scab over wounds and become a womb for a new litter.

>Over time a orc becomes naturally armed and armored, with rusty growths of bone laced with cold iron.

>They don't know how to use fire or any tool. Their purpose is to eat and topple civilization itself, revert the races to the status before the Heroes came. All people and animals on a village will vanish, all shovels and axes will be missing, but valuables are left untouched. Clearing an infested iron mine is the stuff of nightmares, because orcs may gorge and cut themselves to the point of looking more like big, hunched iron golems than hairy beasts.

>Without their stories and tricks wrote down, burnt and forgotten, the Ents will be able to freely use them again, to make mortals fearful of the dark and the woods, the strange noises and the unnatural beasts.

>Because orcs spawn from the borders of the fey river, opposite to the fairy florest, and have cold iron into their organism, most people think they are some kind of predator or parasite of fairies, and may be the reason of their retreat.

>But for the last 4000 years, the Ents are attacking all civilizations of the Sarba landmass, as hateful and patient as they were in the first day, beyond the attention spans of even most dragons.

>Anyone that writes, that plants, that uses tools. Anyone that lives instead of surviving, that uses fire to light up the night; all those are targets for a communal inteligence older than the gods, and the orcs are their main weapon.

Fuck it, posting

These are actually pretty neat, user. Nice photography.

If you're going for something like Firewatch (the video game), just run a standard mystery game but switch location. Don't think it'd be much more complex than that.

If you want some adventure in the medium of enemies and dungeons and whatnot, D&D/PF probably already have campaign modules for that sort of thing. You can always take the plot and use another system, anyway.

Sorry I'm not more use. I'm just here for pretty pictures and general ideas.

Thanks

Fuck, I miss this place. Me and my girlfriend were on the road all morning and we stopped by a lake to lunch. There were a wooden fence, this cabin, the lake in front and the mountains behind it. There was a fallen dock and a rotten trunk. This place was full of magic.