>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-mardu-tokens/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/421083#online
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Understanding Tiers

Modern Nexus metagame stats are prevalence-based numbers reflecting how frequently a deck appears in tournament Top 8s, Top 16s, and Day 2s (as well as MTGO finishers). It does not consider a deck’s Match Win Percentage (MWP) or other “performance-based” metrics. A deck can be an excellent strategy and a strong metagame choice regardless of its tier, although there is certainly a correlation between frequently played decks and high-performing decks.
Sources

Data for each tab is taken from the following sources, broken down by tab:

Metagame – MTGO: All 4-0 and 3-1 decks from all published MTGO dailies on the Wizards website. Includes 5-0 finishes in published Leagues and all published finishes from Premiers, PTQs, etc.
Metagame – Paper: All T8 and T16 events for all paper tournaments, regardless of size, drawn from a range of metagame websites.
Metagame – Major Paper T8: All T8 and T16 finishes from Modern Pro Tour, Grand Prix, and SCG Open events.
Metagame – Major Paper Day 2: All Day 2 metagame statistics for Modern Pro Tour, Grand Prix, and SCG Open events.

1/3

Tier Calculations

Tournament finishes for all decks in the format are tracked in the spreadsheet above. All decks receive 0-3 points in four separate categories, and then receive a total score based on the sum of their points. The decks with the highest points are considered Tier 1. Decks with slightly less points, but still passing a certain dynamic cutoff, are considered Tier 2. Finally, decks in the lowest cutoff bracket are considered Tier 3.

Points are awarded in each category based on a 95% confidence interval for average prevalences and how far outside of that confidence interval a deck’s prevalence falls. This gives us a statistically supported way of determining whether a deck is overperforming or underperforming, in a way that is transparent to all users and more “objective” than just grading decks based on personal preference. As an added bonus, the cutoffs are dynamic based on the current metagame, instead of semi-arbitrary cutoffs that are relics of older metagames no longer applicable today. So in one update, the 95% confidence interval for average prevalence on MTGO might be .95%-1.05%, with a standard deviation of 1.5%. But in another update, that interval might be 1%-1.5% and the standard deviation could be 2%. This higher variance metagame would naturally have different cutoffs than the lower variance one.

Finally, after all decks have been awarded a point total, we take the average of that point total and then set a Tier 1 cutoff at two standard deviations over that average total. Any deck with points that exceed that cutoff is considered Tier 1. Any deck that does not quite meet the Tier 1 cutoff but still meets the dynamic Tier 2 cutoff (typically 1-2 points) is then considered Tier 2. Any deck that has greater than 0 points but less than the Tier 2 cutoff qualifies as Tier 3.

2/3

Here is the system that is used to award points to decks in the four different categories:

MTGO
1 point: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average prevalence
2 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 1stdev prevalence
3 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 2stdev prevalence

Paper
1 point: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average prevalence
2 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 1stdev prevalence
3 points: Prevalence > upper 95% interval for average + 2stdev prevalence

GP/PT T8/T16
1 point: Prevalence > average weighted showings of T8/T16 decks
2 points: Prevalence > average + 1stdev for weighted showings of T8/T16 decks
3 points: Prevalence > average + 2stdev for weighted showings of T8/T16 decks

GP/PT Day 2
1 point: Prevalence > average prevalence
2 points: Prevalence > average + 1stdev prevalence
3 points: Prevalence > average + 2stdev prevalence

3/3

>Playing?
B/G & U/G Infect
>Brewing?
Nothing at the moment
>Next MTG Purchase?
Verdant Catacombs x4. Can't survive on Windswept Heaths and Wooded Foothills forever. Found a set at $40/piece

I have a problem. Modern is by far the most played format near me, so if I want to play in tournaments regularly I have to play it. The problem is I can't find any modern decks that I enjoy playing. I pretty much exclusively play vintage storm, but I can't find anything like it in modern.

As someone who wants to start playing MTG, What packs do you recommend I get? I ordered 5 booster packs of Khans of Takir for a real good price.

No, nothing will be close to storm but if you like combo you can try, grishoalbrand, Jeskai ascendancy or ad nauseum

This is really not needed. Like at all

Okay, how do you want to win?
1. Hit them in the face
2. Hit them in the face WITH SPELLS
3. 100 to dead in one turn
4. They'll probably concede before I actually win

Fuck off

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-mardu-tokens/

Do you think this would be viable? I might have to trade up for the mana base and use a cheaper version till then

If you want a dumb, synergy based token deck with plenty of removal, I would recommend Abzan Ascendancy Aristocrats.

Been gone from modern since the twin bans, what did I miss (aside from the obvious)? People still memeing about Grixis Control, Knightfall and lantern?

So guys, I'm somewhat of a meme lord and I'm naturally going to build some more memes.

Should I make grishoalbrand or jeskass?

Memes.

Eldrazi came and went, though it still exists despite it no longer being T0. Knightfall is shit, D&T now plays black and eldrazi, Ancestral Vision and Sword of the Meek got unbanned and got memed over but people realised neither's really that good in the current metagame.

first for SPELLWEAVER HELIX

dredge for fun and profit

why the fuck is this banned?

Because its broken. Have you even seen a Grove of the Burnwillows?

>pay 1RR
>opponent takes 1 damage
so we're burning really badly? or is it the ability to pay 1RRR to deal 4 to a creature?

I think the closest thing to legacy/vintage storm in modern is Grishoalbrand. Not as consistent or powerful but it has the same "puzzle" elements as storm decks

Someone should really update that old outdated flowchart of modern decks

Its the ability to repeatedly kill anything your opponent plays. This is legacy level power. This combo is what makes Eternal Garden playable.

Yes, I have. In legacy. I still don't think it's that great. You're paying 1RR and giving your opponent life for a repeatable shock. And it gets btfo by grave hate like a lot of other shit. Or land destruction. I don't think it would actually make that big of an impact in modern.

I was going to bash the idea of unbanning punishing fire but the more I think about it it really wouldn't be THAT broken in modern. Against many tier 1 decks the combo is way too slow to be worth it

I think the real reason that this is still banned is that it would be another tool for Jund.

Please stop. I play memes too but I don't act like this about it. Also deck is awful. Folds to everything

Is there anyway to make Delver semi-viable in the current meta? I've been playing around with USA delver recently and it's been doing meh. It seems like it would be better to just drop the tempo and make it into geist control, which I don't really want to do.

ILLUSION TRIBAL

I SWEAR ITS ONE GOOD ILLUSION AWAY FROM tier 3

I wanna run g/w bears running x4 thalia x4 aether vial and x4 coco. Is this a bad idea?

Delver does not work in modern, period. Even if you completely warp your deck to support him you can't make flipping him consistent enough. And even if you can flip him there is too much removal and no way to protect him to be worth the investment

Vial and Thalia both nonbo with coco. If you want to run coco and thalia you need manadorks and if you need manadorks you shouldnt run vial, if you want to run vial you can't expect to cast coco on turn 5 and shouldn't run coco

What's your super secret tech Veeky Forums?

Mine's pic related in Jeskai control

Boremandos delver is ok imo, I think grixis has more power. It has the huge tempo play of tasigur/gurmag, Kcommand is a 3cmc 2for1, and instead of cards like Roast chicken and whatnot you get access to Terminate.
Imo the 4 thoughtscour 4 delveguy route seems a bit gimmicky, I would personally trim some of those, and maybe add a Jace instead.
mtggoldfish.com/deck/421083#online

What's the best turbo blood moon deck?

folds to significantly less than youd think honestly and would be totally playable in a local meta. it folds to gy hate and instant speed artifact removal but the deck has repeatable discard, you just need to play smart and sideboard well

Huh. Greenskin P&K, cool. No flying hurts vs affinity, but an extra token and a much better activated ability is sweet.

Storm with 3 Blood Moons in the side for when your opponent can't beat it.

>repeated removal for X/2 shitters
>modern

no, they just don't want to scare the G/W retards away

I don't think Jund would gain that much from it
at least I don't see where it has the place for it

I used to play grixis, but when every tron and fish deck in my meta mainboarding relics it became frustrating.

I kinda like that goldfish list, though. More midrange-y.

People are still trying to jam Thopter Sword despite it being shit, AV meant a few people desperately tried to make Faeries and Grixis Control things but they didn't work, they're 50/50 decks at best.

Eldrazi came and went, shook up the meta a bit. aside from that there are some new decks that operate like old decks, not much has changed.

In case any judges are around, what's the correct ruling:

In a Lantern mirror neither player can mill (all rocks needled), remove permanents (all hate in the yard, can't recur without Shredder), deal damage (spellbomb exiled) or remove either player's Academy Ruins to prevent decking, can the players agree g1 is a draw and move to post-side games?

the game would go to time and turns and be determined a draw. yes.

rule 104.4i comprehensive rules. in a tournament, players may shake hands and agree to a draw at any time.

What was your list? Big fan of delver.

So you can't skip g1 and play sideboard games out unless either one concedes?

what the fuck? did you read my post?

So you can id a single game and not directly go 0-0-3?

Your post included this:
>the game would go to time and turns
You sounded like you were contradicting yourself.

Grixis or USA?

The grixis list por favor!

I'm doing this from memory, but:

4x Delver of Secrets
3x Snapcaster Mage
2x Young Pyro
4x Gurmag Angler

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Serum Visions
4x Though Scour
3x Git Probe
4x Remand
2x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare
2x Terminate
3x Kcommand
1x Shadow of a Doubt

4x Scalding Tarn
4x Polluted Delta
2x Steam Vents
1x Watery Grave
1x Blood Crypt
2x Sulfur Falls
2x Islands
1x Mountain
1x Swamp

Something like this. I played around with that shadow of a doubt slot a lot (izzet charm, stubborn denial, 19th land).

And here's my current list, if anyone has any suggestions:

4x Delver of Secrets
3x Geist of St. Traft
3x Young Pyromancer
4x Snapcaster Mage

4x Lighting Bolt
3x Lighting Helix
3x Path to Exile
2x Electrolyze
4x Serum Visions
3x Gitaxian Probe
4x Remand
2x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare

4x Scalding Tarn
4x Flooded Strand
2x Steam Vents
2x Hallowed Fountain
1x Sacred Foundry
2x Seachrome Coast
2x Island
1x Mountain
1x Plains

22 [UNH] Mountain
3 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
4 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide
2 [SOM] Koth of the Hammer
4 [M15] Chandra, Pyromaster
4 [8E] Ensnaring Bridge
4 [9E] Blood Moon
3 [THS] Magma Jet
4 [CHK] Desperate Ritual
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
4 [M11] Pyretic Ritual
2 [THS] Anger of the Gods
SB: 3 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
SB: 2 [M11] Pyroclasm
SB: 1 [RTR] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [M12] Dragon's Claw
SB: 1 [DTK] Roast
SB: 4 [] Vandalblast

Will this work?

Thanks man. Your america delver looks tight. Try cutting the mana leaks maybe? For an izzet charm, and maybe an azorius charm.
You could also cut a remand maybe for either a jeskai charm or a mantis rider, although that's entering spicy territory.

seems worse than skred red

Don't forget chalice of the void for even more turn 1 cheese.

Its more if a Prison deck, prioritizing t1 blood moon over anything else.

Is skred not as shitty as it looks

>no skred
dude

Is chalice worth cutting bolt? I was considering sideboarding it

I haven't played it so I don't really know, but skred doesn't fold if your opponent can beat blood moon or ensnaring bridge
also, you can't really say you're prioritizing t1 blood moon when the only way you can cast it is with a simian spirit guide
honestly all-in prison decks seem pretty shit in modern since there's no good fast mana

Ritual+guide was the plan for t1 moon.

It seems like skred is more about killing creatures, I don't see how it fares better against non-creature decks

There's no modern analog to vintage storm, unfortunately.
However, If you're interested in spell based combo decks, then look into UR storm, Ad Nauseam, or Scapeshift.

so what is your gameplan game 1 against decks that don't scoop to bloodmoon?

A single Inkmoth in Taking Turns.

eh, maybe you're more favored against jund or uwr or something, but honestly I would rather have real cards than rituals and 7 blood moons in my control decks

Drop a bridge and stall or fast planeswalker and race

but there's only 2 koth and chanrda ult doesn't win the game

Turbo moon isn't a control deck. Its aggro prison

Might be worth switching some Chandrae for Koths, but most decks I've seen in modern struggle with one of those lock pieces.

Hmm, that actually sounds pretty dank. I usually go the long route with Beleren if the awakened lands can't get through, although sometimes they might have a blue source untapped so I instead have to dig deep for cryptic/gigadrowse.
I would add one, but I'm a poorfag and the radiant fountains have been putting in decent work anyways.
>awakening the moth
Aw shit man.

Hmm... I kinda like azorius charm. I've tried out izzet charm in the past, and all its modes do good things, but it doesn't do them well enough IMO. I dunno, might drop an electrolyze to try it out.
I like 4 remands. It's an amazing tempo card, it helps keep the agro half of my deck going while keeping cards in my hand for the control half. And it's super good against tron, which is one of my worst game 1 matchups.
Plus there is no better feeling than remanding your own spell that's getting counter/drawed by a cryptic. >pic related.

I love mantis rider, but he fails the bolt test super badly, and competes with geist in the CMC 3 slot. I've been thinking about going to 4 geists though.

it's def not an aggro deck cause you can't actually kill your opponent in a reasonable amount of time. It's an all-in prison deck, and prison decks are control decks, you just control what your opponent does by preventing them from casting cards instead of dealing with them after they're cast. There was RW prison deck that top 8d a recent SCG Open, but I don't think it played rituals because you literally never want them after turn 2 and a control deck needs to have live draws.

>As someone who wants to start playing MTG, What packs do you recommend I get?
We recommend that you do not purchase packs at all.
Learn the basics of the game by watching your friends play, and borrowing their decks. Playing casually is the best way to learn the basics.
If your friends play Commander, I recommend buying one of the preconstructed Commander decks from your local game store.
If your friends like drafting, attend their drafts and learn how to construct your own decks.

TLDR do what your friends do. If your friends don't play magic, then neither should you.

It's just there in case someone is an even bigger faggot than me and I somehow can't beat them by either pure damage or mill. It's never actually been relevant, at most it saves me 2 turns.

Prison decks aren't control decks, prison pieces are just disruptive elements.

That being said, that list is a little threat light. I'm trying to build something like legacy Painter or Dragon Stompy, but the fast mana ends up taking up the win con slots.

22 [UNH] Mountain
3 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Koth of the Hammer
4 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Blood Moon
3 Magma Jet
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Pyretic Ritual
2 Anger of the Gods
SB: 3 Relic of Progenitus
SB: 2 Pyroclasm
SB: 4 Dragon's Claw
SB: 2 Chalice of the Void
SB: 4 Vandalblast

True about mantis getting bolted, I really fucking love the card, imo he's rhino-tier, but 3 toughness is the bane of a 3cmc card in a tempo shell. He's a goddamn mantis too, total bros with delver.

4 remand is probably right, its a tempo staple and the cantrip trick is neat as fuck too.

Electrolyze is one of my favorite cards, but having 2 in hand feels average, while having one in hand feels perfect. If you do want to add a jeskai charm, maybe trim an electrolyze?
Mana leak is really great, but the downside is often forgotten about since you either steamroll with delver + counterspells or you don't, but I'd test it without. Izzet charm is exactly how you described it, and imo it's a perfectly designed card. It feels like a leak, kills that Bob after you tapped out for Peezy, and lategame it filters those two pesky lands/snares you drew.

If you can test it online (xmage or cockatrice) try out -2 leak -1 electrolyze and one of each charm. I honestly am not certain on the jeskai charm, but I have a feeling it could be fun

Imo instead of 2 manaleaks mainboard you can have specific counters in the sideboard, like a negate/disdainful

>Be at recent convention
>Modern tournament with free entry
>Hop on that shit
>Get there early, watch others pile in for a decent sized event despite being at 11 PM
>One guy is a 5'6" manlet wearing flip flops, a kilt, glasses, and a fedora
>His deck is a rogue brew with no sleeves

In this moment, my perception of reality was broken. People like this actually exist? This guy was a walking meme.

Well good luck with your brew, I don't think it looks that good but Veeky Forums is shit at magic so that includes me

Honestly if I had the room (edh taking turns when??!!?) it seems nice to smooth out edge cases where the other wincons get snuffed out. Lantern milling your shit with bridge in play, or maybe Nahiri/Emrakul and they have a bunch of ghost quarters for your awakened lands. I like it.
Plus if theres no burn and instead a bunch of infect and combo, the fountains aren't the best. A flying blocker is also pretty relevant vs some of the really fast decks, like affinity or again infect.

Interesting tech, plus a 13/13 moth isn't something you see every day.

why do you think it's called Memedern?

Everyone over 165cm is a walking meme desu.

>Playing?
Zombie Hunt
>Brewing?
Budget Taking Turns
>Next MTG purchase?
Walk the Aeons x4. I only need those and my Time Warps, then I can start on my sideboard.

This was a fun secret tech in Storm when you went in for the game 3 Empty the Warrens.

Taking Turns is already really fucking budget, don't cut down on things and make it weaker than it already is. In fact, if you're playing Taking Turns you should pimp your deck out in the most obnoxious way possible and let everyone know how much of a dickwad you are. Buy the Anthology v2 Jace Beleren and playsets of japanese Kamigawa islands.

Lotta turnsbros itt, I like it.

For your sideboard there's a lot of cool stuff you can run. If 5$ is within budget I recommend a Commandeer. I'd put one in any blue sideboard I can, but it's especially nice in a deck with howling mine effects. It's mostly a meme, but my goodness is it a dank one.

Guys, in order to activate this cards effect would I be able to use 2 black mana or will I have to use a black mana and a wastes mana in order to use it?

All I did was swap the Cryptic commands for vapor snags and anticipates, then mained the Aetherize cards. I plan to upgrade to Cryptics after I finish the sideboard.

Alright, thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

You stole this list from MTGoldfish didn't u? That being said i love free win Red. It looks hilarious.

Fuck speaking of which, I really really wish the kamigawa "legendary island" package was cheaper. The anti choke/boil tech is so fringe but my autism is insatiable and I NEED IT

The bfz tapped-island (forget the name) is some really neat treasure hunt sideboard tech, it's very good vs zoo and creature-based aggro. Pick up some, they're like 5 cents each.

It has to be butthole mana unfortunately. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, you get access to nice buttholedrazi cards and a cheap mana base

1 generic mana and 1 colorless mana

It plays just like worse merfolk though

I play skred all the time and it's actually quite powerful in modern. Really only auto loses to ad nauseum

I submit that this card is better than Pack Rat in mono black control

Illusions do have one very tiny edge in the whole gaining shroud thing, but outside of that, yeah. You really should just play merfolk.

No. This card is terrible. How you gonna attack with a bridge out? He dies to blockers. This sucks. You suck. Pack rat is better

Who said anything about bridge

The only halfway viable mbc list is 8rack. Pox lists are shit so you run bridge

People have been playing black control completely wrong.
Fear not, I am here now and I bring you salvation

FUUUUCKKKKK

just watched the GP LA, i was really pulling for the little bro

i wish he tried to play around hurkyl's recall, he totally could have he had blinkmoth nexus with ravagers

Post list and I will be less aggressive

post a pic of your diamond shaped butthole pls