fantasynamegenerators.com/
donjon.bin.sh/
eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources
reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books/europe#wiki_middle_ages
reddit.com/r/worldbuilding

>Pick a nation in your world
>What does their flag look like?
>What do the different colors and/ord symbols represent?
>If they don't have a flag, what is the nation's greatest Symbol?

Post Flags!

Other urls found in this thread:

hexographer.com/
mega.nz/#F!gAIyAbga!RcG2zgUbz6VYa8fCCtxfKg
vectormagic.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4
frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir's_Ethnographical_Questionnaire
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is anyone able to identify the program used to make this map?

I've used it before, but forgotten the name sadly.

hexographer.com/

Cheers m8

Looking for your opinions. Flag A?

Flag B?

in what respect do you want our opinion?

I mean, aesthetically, the flag isn't great. You can't see the sun from far away on the white, there are so many fucking lillies on it that it would be cumbersome to replicate and difficult to make out from afar.

But if it makes historical sense, bad flags happen all the time, so do what makes most sense.

The colours are nice and contrasting though.

>sun, lillies
Yeah that's a concern. Visibility obviously matters for flags.

I like to have lots of different opinions on things I do. Can't improve unless I know what's shit.

>colours
>not colors
Sup Britbong. How's your day going so far?

>Sup Britbong. How's your day going so far?
#notyouranglosphere
Don't have to be from there to use the queen's English. I do get red squiggly lines under it though.

But do consider that while visibility is an issue, often it's just done badly. So tell me:

>What's the nation like?

>What do the colours denote, what the symbols?

>Who decided on the flag? Was it a comity? A ruler? the union of two previous flags?

>Is it a national flag, a royal flag, a naval flag, a war flag...?

Make the sun bigger, change its colour to something orange-ish , draw an outline to it and it will be a pretty damn good flag

I prefer the first one, simply because it's easier to draw. Remove the lilies and make the sun more akin to, say, the Argentinian one. Make the circle at least as wide as the white band.

Also, more importantly, did you partition the sections according to sensible integer ratios? That's a primary part of good mapmaking! (Use 3:1:3 from top to bottom; in medieval times splitting sections into 7 was pretty common. Also, your aspect ratio is disgusting. Get to 1:2, 3:5, or 5:8 mate.)

Otherwise, looks not that bad. The base design is simple enough to be recognisable; the rest is just details.

I'm making a Science Fiction setting and letting some people have Psychic powers, but only one power per psychic.

Will this help stop the space wizard problem of psychic powers?

What is space wizard problem?

Personally, I really only have problem when fantasy overlaps with itself. Like you get both superscience and magic doing the same thing - what's the point. Just having psychic powers person-on-person while leaving ships alone seems perfectly reasonable for me.

You could replace psychics entirely with mental implants using technobabble. You install different things, but as each module can only do one thing, you only get one 'power'.

Like, that power could be telekinesis. Mental implant responds to brain impulses and creates a forcefield through MAGNETS, that lifts an object. Done.

Either make it permanent, or allow you to switch out modules. You can get more modules for more money, but you run the risk of suffering brain damage through effective lobotomy.

Rate this shitty fantasy world I made fellas

It's actually pretty good, from a geographical perspective. My only comment would be about the weird lake south-east of the Grassy Side, and the other one further south than that one. The contours are gonna be pretty weird over there, y'know.

Them hella sweet coastlines and continents, gotta say that. But this map seems to be only of the northern hemisphere, right? Or is there some kind of setting mumbo jumbo that alters the climates of the world?

Yeah they just didn't look right to me in the first place.
What's the matter exactly? No inlets? I tried to picture the second one as a salt lake, but truth is I just felt that country was short on lakes.

Also I would add some kind of river flowing from the U-shaped valley west from the Golden Praire

With such a thin white bar, B.

Sun's too small and fiddly, and barely shows up against the white. A good benchmark for flags is to ask yourself if the elementary school kids will be able to draw it somewhat properly. Go look the heraldic tincture rules as well, not because you need to follow them, but because they're based on what makes shit highly visible, which flag designs should be.

OK, so I'm going to redraw my map over to make more sense. What is the best way to place nomadic culture. Some requirements for grassy plains and no woods?

no requirements. But most likely they will stay nomadic in INFERTILE lands with HARSH TEMPERATURES and no expansionist neighbors.

I was going to have the southern continent all cloaked in ice and snow, but then I realized I didn't know what to put on it, so I just moved everything a couple meridians north. Then again, I realized it was impossible since the equator was already settled, and said "fuck this, I'll just go with the mumbo jumbo."

That's where the elven capital should be. I suppose a river wouldn't hurt tho.

The way I'm placing them, they are bound to be temperate, and I don't really see a way to change it without dismantling the rest of my geography. So I probably have to go dry? Or can land just be infertile for no good reason? Just bad geological luck?

Inland lakes are pretty rare, because it requires there to be a spoon-like shape, if you imagine the land working that way. That doesn't tend to form, as you'd either need a ring of mountains (see western China through to the -stans, etc.), or some seriously messed up soil. On islands, that's never gonna happen unless you have an atoll: a ring of coral which can rise up to form a bowel-like shape.

Your islands seem to be formed by either volcanic ridges, or tectonics along a fault line. Either way, it's gonna be pretty basic elevation: centre is highest, steadily going down to the sea, with large dips for valleys (see pic related).

The only way I'd accept that lower lake would be if, either side of it, there were a sandbank rather than 'solid' land. That way it'd just be a way that the waves force sediment to pile up, rather than geography causing a weird dip that SOMEHOW held water (not draining through the soil) indefinitely.

As you can see from pic related (Gran Canaria in the Canaries; it's a good example island for its simple shape), rivers go from the centre outwards. That's just it. I would be able to explain things better, but with the single-image requirement for Veeky Forums it's gonna be difficult.

Well american plains are temperate if I'm not mistaken. Not all the natives from up there were nomads, but some of them sure were.
You can make them dislike agriculture for some reason, if they're human it could be a challenge, but whatever, it's your setting, you probably can find a reason.

>What's the nation like?
Brasconne is a major agricultural and cultural center. Its capital is powered by an actual angel (some of their enemies claim it is just a corpse), and it has until recently been seen as a major player in world politics.
>What do the colours denote, what the symbols?
The Blue is a Royal color, with the Gold Sun representing God and the gold fleurs supposed to combine the concept of Royal and Divine. The Red is alternatively the Blood of Patriots, a representation of the underclass supporting the monarchy, or a reminder of the blood spilled to retain the Ardish colonies to the South (analogous to the Hundred Years War, but reversed).
>Who decided on the flag? Was it a comity? A ruler? the union of two previous flags?
It is a union between the old Blue Royal Flag, and a more religious Red with Sun flag.
>Is it a national flag, a royal flag, a naval flag, a war flag...?
Flag represents the nation as a whole, but grew out of a royal flag.

Tried to go with a 3:1:3 colorwise for pic related. And swapped the sun. Better? Worse?

Quick sketch of how I'd do it. Feel free to interpret.

Less shitty sun. Apologies.

again, there are no requirements. You can just have nomads because. Geographical determinism isn't something you should adhere to as it's crap.

But maybe look at Hugnary: Super fertile huge plains between mountains, and they stayed nomads longer than you'd expect, simply because their heritage was from the nomadic horse tribes of Asia.

Alright thank you. So what if the continent and the lower peninsula are connected by a large sandbank with the weird lake at his center?
Anyway I find difficult to imagine a beach THAT large to be honest, so I'll probably just erase the lake and put something else there.

I could, but it'd be a weird fiat.

It seems plains like this tend to form inland. I could just stick someone at the coast. That'd show everyone.

outlines round the sun would be great, black ones. But it's already pretty good, although the thin white line will disappear over some dostance. But as it's a national flag, that's not gonna be as important as the symbolism. There are some terrible national flags.

If you viewed north-south, the land would appear wavy from rivers and valleys from the mountains. The ones I drew are only examples; just expect a tree-like structure extending back into the mountains, and the rivers should flow RELATIVELY straight. Path of least resistance and all, and that's usually a straight line to the sea for islands.

But, yeah, I'd like to also congratulate you on your coastlines. They're really good, now that I'm looking more closely.

Well, I don't really know your scale. If those are continents, then just make it two separate islands, I'd say.

from all this, it sounds like it's the perfect set up for a horrifically ugly flag - Two flags get combined (both of course want their overdesigned shit in), it used to be a royal flag (So overdesign isn't even something anybody considered bad, as you'd see it from far closer than any other flags) and it's an agricultural country, not one for great designs.

Uh, by 3:1:3 ratio I sort of meant this...

Makes sense. They were two separate islands actually, I just connected them because of reasons. Gonna split them up and set Pengar straight, wasn't very good from the beginning.

And thanks dude!
(captcha: select rivers)

Ahh. I see. Something more akin to this?

No problem. If it helps, I've got lots of PDFs on the subject.
mega.nz/#F!gAIyAbga!RcG2zgUbz6VYa8fCCtxfKg

Yeah, like that. I'd personally remove the border, but that's your choice. If you really want to be flag Nazi, you'd then specify proportions relative to the stripes for the circle of the sun, and then the rays... but I'm not sure if you want to go into that much detail. In general, I make my flags in GIMP at around 5000x3000, so every proportion is a nice round number, and then convert to .svg for mobility.

How would you guys give the modern day U.S. military back into a Vietnam aesthetic?

Have had this idea on the back burner the world gets consumed by plant life and the last remnants of the U.S. military fight for control and order this leads to a fanatical religious faction who take the new worlds form as a blessing from Gaia and fight to preserve the planet in its new form.

I always could go the lazy route an say this happened in the 70s so the technology and tactics wouldn't need to change but the entire thing will just "Army Vs. Zealot hippies"

>In general, I make my flags in GIMP at around 5000x3000, so every proportion is a nice round number, and then convert to .svg for mobility.
I'll look into doing that, though I use Photoshop, and so far I can't seem to make or use .svg's. I am using standard US Paper proportions turned sideways, mostly as it's convenient for printing out for players (all material in general).

Demoralized bunch of conscripts not knowing what they are fighting for? Don't really think it's something fitting setting where world is consumed by plants.

Talking about plants. Imagine what would happen if trees just grew everywhere overnight. No roads, 'cause trees grew from them, no farms, they are now forests, your home is now a treehouse and probably falling apart due to being torn from foundation. People have to be hunter-gatherers now. Only in permafrost and deserts civilization survived. Also in oceans because even tallest trees can't reach surface.

Well I said aesthetic not political and social problems of the time.

I could use a second opinion on my magic system.

The power source for my magic comes from the sun, though I'm not sure if I'm going to have the light be the powersource or if the light just carries mana, or something.

Anyway, magic users can draw mana/energy/the-stuff-that-powers-magic from one of three sources: the sun, the earth/planet, or the moon(s?). The type of magical energy a person uses determines how it can be used.
Attached pic details what type of mana/magic does what.

Solar energy is the pure form. It arrives via light and is considered often "holy" magic. Being pure, it has the most power available, though its applications are somewhat limited.

Terrestrial magic/mana originally comes from the sun, but is absorbed by the earth. When filtered in this way, the mana changes to be physical in nature.
Has the "middle" amount of energy, but the fewest applications.

Lunar mana actually comes in two flavors: mana reflected (which works a bit like regular solar mana), and mana absorbed by the moon.
The amount of energy available is low (because not much is reflected and the "earthy" type is far away and hard to get), and this type is difficult to use since you essentially have to mix both types to use Luna spells.

When the types are mixed, Solar mana essentially powers up the other two types, so Solar/Terrestrial is really strong terrestrial magic and Solar/Lunar is really strong lunar magic.
Lunar/Terrestrial, however, is more evenly mixed.

Mixing all three is very powerful, but is going to be reserved for main villains and such. Players will typically mix two types, though Terrestrial/Earth is ideally suited to warrior types.

I can provide clarity if needed.
Trying to decide if I should scrap the whole thing or if it's worth sticking with.

.svgs are great for flags, since they scale perfectly to ANY size, have a tiny filesize, and work best with images of solid colours (like flags). You could make it in a vector-based editor, like Illustrator or Inkscape, but I just make a large .png and then convert to .svg using vectormagic.com/ .

Anyway, the actual workings of Photoshop and GIMP are more or less identical, so you should be able to do basically the same stuff in both. Creatively, my only advice would be to do some background research: for flags, look up vexillology, and understand the basic concepts behind it (which is, like, 5 minutes of reading). It's certainly made it a lot easier for me to just spurn out flags with 'cultural background' behind it. Good luck with the rest of your endeavours!

I secretly hate US paper sizes.

Some of the descriptions don't seem to be necessary. The diagram in your picture explains the relationship perfectly, "There are 3 domains that overlap". For fluff reasons, I'd just have each entity be the source of the magic, and have Light be a carrier. Its worth keeping, just make sure its as simple as possible. If I were to describe it back to you, I'd say: The Sun is Holy and Benevolent because it shares its magic/light/knowledge with others, and so it works with healing, knowledge, etc. The Moon is conniving because it take's the Sun's light and uses it as its own power, perfect for illusions and trickery, the Earth is selfish and resilient because it draws power from itself for its own purposes, so that fits perfectly with buffing oneself..

I'd personally move 'mental' powers over to Moon from Sun, such as divination, telepathy, etc. I like the idea of Sun being based on light (obviously), but you can go further than that and include things like heat, sound, and general energy.

Earth is the material world, Sun is the energetic world, Moon is the mental world.

I'd also personally disallow 'all', by saying that all three cancel out because reasons. But that's because I tend to really dislike 'universal' magic that can do basically everything, and prefer niche uses whose utility depend solely on the user's creativity and versatility.

You can consider each one being both positive and negative, too. Too much Earth and you become diseased, too little and you become famished. Too much Sun and you become burnt, to little and you become frozen. Too much Moon and you become mad, too little and you become 'mentally' frozen/apathetic/unthinking.

How does this magic work? Is it by oral spells, hand movements, innate abilities, learnt abilities, special artefacts, devotion to a higher power? I imagine you're going for a generic medieval fantasy world – is that going to be high or low fantasy?

Otherwise, nice and original (as far as I'm aware) on the outskirts. Just take care not to make the entire system unreasonably broken. I also require in my worldbuilding that suspension of disbelief only occurs on one or two things, and that everything else follows as a result of that fantastical element. So, depending on where magic's power originates, make sure that you don't overstep that, and allow it to force you to just shrug and say 'IT'S MAGIC'. That's an awful excuse. Never use it.

That sounds pretty good. The descriptions in particular are just about spot on; I'll certainly make use of that in one form or another.
My thanks.

>I'd personally move 'mental' powers over to Moon from Sun, such as divination, telepathy, etc.
I agree in principle, but I'm having a hard time coming up with pure Sun powers as it is. I'll play with it a bit more.

>How does this magic work?
Depends on the spell/ability in question. The first step is always to pull the magic/mana/energy into one's body, but how it is used or expelled differs greatly.
Earth stuff tends to be fairly instinctual. Users draw the power into their bodies and whatever they focus on gets enhanced. So, someone trying to see something far away would draw from the earth and concentrate on seeing, then it would juts kind of happen. It takes a lot of training to get it right, however. As you said, too much or too little can be dangerous.
Sun magic is more like traditional spellcasting since most of its abilities are a bit abstract. Casters typically memorize complex... well, equations is the best way to describe it. They draw sun energy, then focus on the equation, and sort of "push" the energy through it. Keep in mind that this is a metaphor, but the equation/spell is like a mold. It shapes the energy into the spell.
Lunar stuff is a bit weird, and I don't have anything concrete with it yet.

There are artifacts as well. These are a bit like the magic items from WoT in that it takes a magic user to actually make use of one, but each can store some energy, so they're not always draining the user.

The setting is a rather arid with lots of deserts, and the aesthetic is mostly Persian/Babylonian: a few big empires and lots of independent cities and minor kingdoms.

That last point is a good warning, but if I ever get around to running it, all my PCs are probably going to use one form of magic or another.

New to these threads, I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about ships. In my setting, geomancers can easily manipulate rock and strengthen it to the point of being like steel, would such a material be viable for making a ship? How come people in the age of sail never made their ships out of metal? Also, the setting is pre-industrial, but having wood-powered steam engines is a possibility. Does anyone know how many miles per gallon they would get, so to speak? I imagine that they'd only be good for short-range barges but I don't know.

Aircraft carriers have been prototyped from ice and straw, so there's plenty of things to make ships from. Likewise, my university is known for performing well in Concrete Canoe competitions.

Metal was expensive, especially if you wanted to make a boat out of it. Some people might not have even thought it would float because they lacked a modern understanding of how buoyancy works.

Steam ships took around 4.5-14.5 tons of coal to run daily, and was quite expensive. Wood produces about 20% less power than coal, though charcoal is only about 3% difference. To get equivalent daily power, you'd need to increase the space the fuel would be taking.

To be honest, the basic kit of a US soldier hasn't really changed much since Vietnam. Different materials are used, the shape of the standard-issue helmet has changed to accommodate NVDs, boots are now tan leather rather than polished black, and you've got armored vests to carry around, but it's otherwise the same sort of kit soldiers have been carrying for the past half-century.

>Metal was expensive, especially if you wanted to make a boat out of it.
Absolutely this.
>they lacked a modern understanding of how buoyancy works.
Not actually true. In 1670, Francesco Lana de Terzi, a Jesuit priest, proposed a "vacuum" airship, which would theoretically use a contained vacuum to create lift. We still haven't found a way to make a container strong enough to hold back the outside pressure AND be lighter than the produced lift, but the idea is sound. They had a damn good understanding of buoyancy. They didn't make ships out of metal because, as you said, it was too expensive.
However, getting a water-tight seal on that much metal would have been nearly impossible without modern (late 1800s) welding or bolting.

Whelp. Vector won't play nice. Here's a new flag for the one here

And another.

If I'm honest, I kinda liked the original better, unless these are just different ensigns of the same nation. Simplicity is always better when it comes to the national colors.

These two
are separate nations. If you meant this one: then I must ask why do you prefer the original? What makes it better?

Ah, I saw some shared elements, like the sun symbol in the center, and assumed they belonged to the same nation.

Anyway, I think the first looks the best because of its simplicity. Three bands, a prominent centerpiece, and that's about it. It can be easily recognized at a distance without confusion, and, well, it's simple. It ticks all the right boxes.

If you want more specifics, this TED talk explains it far better than I ever could:

Yeah, I saw that. I'm thinking of revisiting the original flag. I want to evoke a Not!France feeling, and I'm not there yet.

I knew I was going to phrase that poorly, but the important points stand,

Since this is a flag thread, let me link a really useful (and entertaining) video on good (and bad) flag design.

>Post Flags!
Aw yeah, this is my jam.

The Federal Republic of Ehreist

Like pic related.

White and red have been the traditional colors of Ehreist since the rule of King Allard I, AKA Allard the Great, who was also the one to adopt the "Martyr's Bolts" as his symbol. During a battle as a young prince, Allard was saved from a lethal pair of bolts by one of his dragon retainers, and so adopted the symbol in remembrance. This served him well in earning the trust and eventual loyalty of the various dragon tribes inhabiting the Ehreistian Crescent, and centuries after his unification of the region, his standard endures as the national colors.

I'm actually not really satisfied with the current design. I'm set with the two arrows being the central symbol, but exactly how to incorporate the red and white in a meaningful manner eludes me. I've considered perhaps adding stars or something to represent the constituent states of the Republic, but nothing quite looks right. I'm not even sure why I added the black triangle, either.

If anyone's got some advice or other critiques to offer, I'm all ears.

I would make the arrows black, and perhaps put a thin white/red outline around them.

I really like the black triangle inserted into the red/white stripes though.

tell me about your setting's artifacts of power, Veeky Forums.

Alright, cool. Rock ships it is. Steam only good for ferrys and barges. Thanks guys.

Well, you CAN have steam warships; steam needn't be their only means of propulsion. It's perfectly legit to have a sailing vessel with a steam engine as a secondary source of go forward. Even just using it in battle or times when sails can't be used would be fine.
Oh, and between the American Civil War and the end of the Victorian Era steam vessels were all over the place. Literally. They went all over the damn ocean.
Keep in mind that many of these were combo steam/sailing vessels.

So far nobody in the setting has had much need for war at sea, but I suppose some of them would still go for hybrids. I'll keep it in mind.

Do warmer colors in flags and maps (e.g. pink, red, orange, yellow) necessarily have to carry a connotation of degeneracy?

Pink and yellow are degenerate.
Red is Blood/Valor, and Orange is Courage/Sacrifice.

Does your setting have a legitimate form of evil? As in, D&D style, quantifiable evil?
Or do you go with the more realistic option of having the baddies just be narcissistic assholes?

I'm not judging one as better than the other, I'd just like to know how other people handle the concept, how they handle the villains in their settings. Which method do you find more interesting or enjoyable to use?

>frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir's_Ethnographical_Questionnaire

Thank you; I've been looking for this for a month.

Thinking about changing the blue to more red. Any opinions?

I like there being a DnD style evil, though you might not ever encounter it. All of your games might involve "I'm just running this trafficking ring because my sister is in the hospital" style baddies, but just having the option to fight Satan's butler is always worthwhile. And who knows, maybe Satan's butler is running into some heavy medical bills.

What's the name of your setting? Not the name of the planet or plane or what have you, but the name that would be on the cover of the source book.

My current Sci-Fi setting is called Last Children of Earth.

One of my space operas is called Successor Worlds (I noticed I really like word Successor because I like setting my stories right after collapse of major power)

Another my more comical and more developed space opera has working title Iron Chariots after an infamous Bible passage.

There exists in my setting a metal called Xurium. Nothing seems to melt it and it has proven indestructible to pretty much everything.

Because it can't be shaped by any known means, it is also pretty much useless in its natural form, at least for everything that would be really exciting to use it for.

Xurium weapons exist, but how they were made is unknown, and they are usually found in the ruins of old. The weapons often are blunt, over sized, and ornate, suggesting they were more for decoration or ceremony rather than for battle. Still, the indestructible nature of these weapons makes them highly prized. No xurium armor has ever been discovered, but if if exists it would be valuable indeed.

As a detail that will likely never come up, Xurium has very different properties in other dimensions, which is how it was shaped. In the daemon realm it is a very soft metal that melts around 22 F. In another plane it is a fluorescent heavy metal that dispels and magic it comes into contact with.

>What's the name of your setting? Not the name of the planet or plane or what have you, but the name that would be on the cover of the source book.

Boku no Magical Realm

>>Pick a nation in your world
Ciernales

>>What does their flag look like?
pic related

>>What do the different colors and/ord symbols represent?
The purple denotes prosperity and wealth, the blue is the colour of nobles.
The gold is gold.

>>If they don't have a flag, what is the nation's greatest Symbol?
The crown is on the flag, and it is the center of Ciernales in multiple ways, denoting its ruler, but also the union of its nobles, every single one of which has voting rights.

The laurel wreath had been used as a crown in a different, now dead culture, that is said to be the cradle of republicanism, and while the elected monarchy of Ciernales isn't a republic, they like to connect themselves with that culture, which is why the wreath is on the flag.

not mine, but I helped making it quite substantially and it has an amazing name: "Forest Reach"

Does anybody have the setting generator that has floated around Veeky Forums?

It was a list of rollable tables to build a setting from.

no idea, but I'm also interested, so have this bump.

Found it.

Some genies sell feathers from a bird which mixes stymphalos and rocs, so it is a arrow-sized sharp feather.

The chromatic stones can be used as bullets for slings and firearms. They become 'shrill needles of pure heat' when fired, so magic lasers.

The sea deity is a huge merwoman, she lays great pearls, each containing a single and random spell.

Atma

Rolled 24, 24, 25, 9, 17, 9, 3, 7, 12, 10, 6, 1, 17, 3, 11, 23 = 201 (16d25)

Don't mind if I do.

I've posted this before, but I've changed the flag ratio slightly to 2:4, and made the chequerboard pattern larger

Deicolorii

See Pic related

>What do the different colors and/or symbols represent?
The chequerboard represents the islands and the sea. The red is strength, the gold ring prosperity through unity.

N/A

>Who decided on the flag? Was it a comittee? A ruler? the union of two previous flags?

The council of the Iodgeorii decied on the flag when the islands were finally unified. It was the union of the personal standard of the first Siege (High ruler), the left hand symbol, and a flag used to represent the many islands.

>Is it a national flag, a royal flag, a naval flag, a war flag

It is a national flag. It is flown above the personal flags of Iodges (Island rulers), which are merged in the same way with the chequerboard.

is Deicolorii a nation state? And by nation state I mean a state with a very clear and absolute majority of a people unified in language, culture and identity, and that aren't radically disadvantaged over other groups?

Pirate Republic of Reposada.

A spoopy skull with a spoopy wig, a pen on the left and a cutlass on the right. 100% black.

The pen stands for the Code. Not a Pirates of the Caribbean thing, nor anything like Nassau. It's actually closer to a real republic, problem is the Governor is picked from a council of nine pirates, and no one trusts the others enough to cast a majority vote and change the present one. He's the one with the wig by the way, Don Almada. Now in his fifties, he was born and raised in the isles, and never visited the continent for more than a day. He started as a swabbie on the ship of a famous pirate, the Cayman, who built the republic and sort of united the pirates to fend off the notbritish and notfrenchmen. When the Cayman died, Almada took over and build a city with a fort on top. Captains live in the fort, crews in a chaotic sprawl down on the beach. Nothing close to a real republic at all, and will probably crumble as soon as Almada dies, but he's kinda an optimistic fellow. He believes that sending old and wealthy pirates on retirement as mayors and sub-governors will grant him their loyalty, and that discipline will come along. We're half in the XVI century, so people are a little confused about natural law and politics. Almada, being a pirate, is no different.

I don't believe I need to explain the skull and the cutlass. Right?

"Salt & Silver"

The Deicolorii is a nation state, yes, though like Italy, which was made up of City-states, there can be a few cultural differences on different islands (See: Wide range of Italian dialects). They were unified by the first Siege (Sjedʒ) 3 centuries ago.

why the skull tho

Sweet sea. I like the "zodiarchy" !

In order to spook people into recognizing their legitimacy. Like terrorists, but with flintlocks and rhum.

But I already got on a whole bunch of Gucci shit?

> fleurs-de-lis gules on a cross azure.

The rule of tincture, nigga. Use it.

>The rule of tincture, nigga. Use it.

I think he will probably be using this in a fantasy world, rather than Europe.

And of course this isn't an achievement but a flag.

Rule of tincture exists for a reason though, red on blue is hard to differentiate, especially at a distance.

sure, there are many system in place in our world that make sense and that make things easier. Doesn't mean they have to be enforced, or enforced in the same way, in fantasy land.

Or you know, Japan.

Repost bampo

Sha'hara Only flag I've done so far

Pic related

The white circle symbolizes the founding of their (then) kingdom. The triangles represent the four cultures at the founding. The white represents a new beginning. The blue is the Empress's favorite colour.

In lieu of a flag they use things in groups of 4 tide to a pole or post; four cloths of the same color, four skulls, four coconuts, etc.

Well I guess as this is a flag thread now, help me decide on a flag!