MTG casual thread

Magic shrooms edition

As always, thread questions

What are you...
>Playan?
>Brewan?
>Using for house rules?
>Thinking about doing for next time?

What are some of your favorite cards from the standard legal blocks that you've incorporated into your decks?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u1dJkqxu
tappedout.net/mtg-card/mana-confluence/
pastebin.com/tUqJp92b
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This thing is utterly brutal for my Parallel Lives token deck.

I have three of these. one or two are sideboarded in my BG aristocrats standard deck. I've generated upwards of 10 scions at once on some occasions, with double From Beyond

My best was dropping 512 6/6 Wurms
4 Parallel Lives, Garruk Primal Hunter's ultimate with 8 lands, and then drop a Second Harvest.

>>Playan?
4color EldraziTron
Fast Burn
UG Clues
BW Lifegain

>>Brewan?
GB Sacrifice by turning the Plunder the Graves commander deck into a 60 cards deck

>>Using for house rules?
No precise house rule except maybe "don't play competitive decks"
>>Thinking about doing for next time?
Only improving my existing decks before the next set

jesus h christ

I'll never do anything like that in standard play. That's scary as shit

Also impossible.
Parallel lives was last printed in Innistrad, and is currently sitting at $8.85 for a reason.

Also my bad, it was only 3 Parallel Lives on the field. 4 would have meant 2,048 6/6 Wurms.

Just bought 10 of these babies, came out to $5.19, shipping included. I suspect these are gonna raise in price a good bit come Pro Tour.

>2048 wurms

Finished a w/u enchantment deck focused around Sigil of the empty throne. Best time i'be had with it so far is when one friend was getting so pissed at me because i beat him last game.
>Okay, so I tap 11 mana and fireball your entire field.
>Nah, I'll negate that.
>Fuck. I attack with tyrant of valakunt
>Nah, celestial flare. Sacrifice it. Not take another 4 unblock able damage.
>Fuck you. It's my turn again and I play worldfire.
>Nah. Counterspell. Take another 4 unblock able damage.
>AUUUGHHHH

>I suspect these are gonna raise in price a good bit come Pro Tour.

??

is it being played in the standard green white tokens deck?

seems like a weird option given that the deck's main weakness isnt the number of tokens it can make its keeping them alive vs languish and radiant flames

i love the card but i doubt its price will rise since its a casual all star, not a big standard card

wait wut?
>Garruk Primal Hunter's ultimate with 8 lands: 8 Wurms
>first Parallel Lives: 16 Wurms
>second: 32 Wurms
>third: 64 Wurms
>Second Harvest: 128 Wurms
how'd you get 512 Wurms or am I missing something?

Parallel Lives work on Second Harvest as well.
So really it should be 576 Wurms, but it's the fact that Second Harvest creates 512 which I was drawing attention to.

Won a small-ish tourney at my LGS with this thing here

The prize was a Nahiri, so I'm quite happy

>Parallel Lives work on Second Harvest as well.
Oh right! That somehow slipped my mind...

UR Rise from the Tides can give you easy wins against unprepared opponents

Sometimes even 5-6 zombies are too many zombies

Was building UW control for my casual FNM, then I got a job for the summer so I've been putting together my Sydri EDH which is a lot of fun to play.

Only Magic I've played recently was a cube draft a couple weeks ago, which I came in second at with UB control, losing games only to the person who built the cube. Perilous Vault was an all star, people just stop playing when you drop it, I got so many time walks from having it in play. Also opened Avacyn in prize packs, which I traded for more EDH staples.

Feeling like putting together UR Pyromancers ascension and making people miserable. I just want to play a deck with 20 cantrips, specifically 4 Preordain and 4 Brainstorm. This cards are so fun.

I have a foil one of those

Pretty funny to use

I envy you

Playan a deck based around Whispering Madness combos that is quite jawesome.
Brewan a promising Rakdos unleash/hellbent deck
Full mulligan until you get a hand that isn't garbage.

(Pictured)
This gem inspired the building of aforementioned R/B deck.

Would you want me to spoil your waifu?

Working on that thopter tribal deck. Trying to find a starting point.

Sword of the meek and thopter foundry

Don't forget time drive for that sweet infinite combo.

What decks should I use Thing in the Ice in?

What colours should I make an EDH deck in? I want it to be casual friendly, since I already have a pretty primed BUG deck, but not everyone enjoys being hit with a 17/17 trample infect creature. I was thinking r/w tajic would be relatively inoffensive. Maybe WB Vish Kal?

horror tribal

Go oloro and then hide your health counter before someone see's that it's turn 8 and you're already at 70 health.

Come on user, running captain dickfort is like running xenagos, everyone knows what's coming and everyone will try to stop you.

Build Rosheen Meanderer. It's a blast to play and it's far too slow to be anything besides casual

I only play Magic a few times a year when my brother is able to visit on holidays. Any suggestions for decks that we could play? We both have our own decks but I wish I could think of something special.

duel decks maybe?

>Rosheen Meanderer
Oh neat. That's pretty much hydras.dec and I've always wanted to build that. Thanks so much user, a build is in comming!

I have a pretty good collection so I've thought of building my own duel decks to try out.

Build two sliver decks for you and your brother. Watch the chaos.

please no user, don't do it.

Well I don't know. Gisa sure is pure...

Is standard really that much more popular than modern and is it really worth it fiscally if you have to keep buying new cards?

Is it worth trying to make a budget modern deck for semicasual play or should I just make a pauper deck?

Is pauper even popular at all?

well thirty bux gets you something seriously competitive in paper pauper. I think the minimum I would want to spend on a modern deck would probably be about ~100 dollars, even if it were casual play. I'm thinking cheap monogreen stompy or cheap 8whack

R8 this decklist for standard, it's black-green aristocrats built using (not too many) expensive cards. I have one copy of CC and Liliana, and I don't have the will to spend $50 more on two cards that'll rotate in a few months.

pastebin.com/u1dJkqxu

Would a seriously good pauper deck be able to compete with average to bad modern decks that my friends play casually?

eh. Pauper is on an entirely different power level than modern is. Try looking for the modern event deck, you can grab it for 75 to 100 bucks if you want to play modern well and at a fairly low price.

Pauper is self-contained in its power level.

i can easily win 3d/4th turn playing izzet blitz against any modern deck except maybe jund

list?

If it's casual time MTG, I can't be the only one who loves this fucking thing, right?

Any tips, tricks or homebrews?

I'd like build a deck around that, some walls, some mana rocks, voltaic keys, and lots of powerful instants and sorceries across various colours.

What about split cards and cards with fuse?

Pulled an Avacyn today.

Put her into my W/G humans. Any suggestions on cards, without knowing what I actually have?

Idea is to have my wincon as Odric getting a field full of double strike vigilance creatures. Has happened a thousand timesso far, it's insane.

I'm not sure if it belongs in this thread but right now I'm having a blast playing and brewing Type 1 singleton decks (mainly because I can't be bothered to buy playsets of duals, fetches and the likes)
>hurr vintage decks are always singleton
not really, makes for interesting deckbuilding choices (Dredge cards, FoW, Mental Misstep, Delver, Workshop and Prison elements, Dark Ritual, Burning Wish, Gush, Oath all limited to one per deck)
Right now I'm brewing a WUBR deck that uses Nahiri to assemble either Time Vault/Voltaic Key; Painter's Servant/Grindstone or Auriok Salvagers/Pyrite Spellbomb.

Also, I put in Thing in the Ice in because I cracked one while drafting and absolutely love it.

Thing in the Ice
Day's Undoing

The problem with day's undoing is that if it's not my turn, it doesn't end the turn

If you cast Day's Undoing via Brain in a Jar at the beginning of your opponent's end step, it is highly unlikely that they take immediate advantage of it. Unless their playing High Tide.

Vampire hexage, dark depths, rite of consumption

Retraced image, mititioc manipulation

PLAN AHEAD is the only advice I can give, besides having a varied mana cost for instants+sorceries so you can reliably ping one on most activations.

midnight gond can if they're not running counterspells

Anyone know a good place to get some decent Edits made?

I wanna get a Khamal edited to look like Mike Ditka for my Bear Tribal EDH deck.

Who would win in a fight? Marit Lage, or Emrakul?

Um math check?

1. Garruk Ultimate: 8 tokens into play
2. First PL trigger: if 8 would be put into play, put double into play instead = 16
3. Second PL trigger: If 16 would be put into play put double instead = 32
4. Third PL trigger, if 32 would be put into play, put double instead.
5. Triggers MUST resolve for the tokens to be be "that permanent" for Second harvest. There are now 32 tokens in play
6. Cast Second Harvest, Put a copy of that token onto the battlefield, 32 tokens.
7. First PL trigger: instead of 32, put 64.
8. Second PL trigger, isntead of 64 put 128
9. Third PL trigger, instead of 128 put 256.
10. There were 32 tokens in play, now there are 256 more. There are 288 tokens.

You only mentioned 3 out of 4 PL, and you never actually counted the double of #3.

I think you forgot the x2 from step 4. So yeah, 576 tapewurms.

Place 8 in play. PL 1 makes it 16.
PL lives 2 makes it 32.
PL 3 makes it 64.
PL4 makes it 128.
Second harvest, adding an extra token for each means
128 from SH.
PL1 makes it 256
PL2 makes it 512
PL3 makes it 1024
PL4 makes it 2048

I've been up all night, is my math any better than his?

Also, PL isn't a trigger.

Okay so I just want to get this off my chest and I feel this would be the best place to do it.

So last night I was playing my 3 month old 360 card peasant cube with 4 of my friends. (the first cube I ever made) I tried to make the cube as spike as I could with cards like FOW, Channel, Crystal Shards, Demonic Tutor, Sol Ring, Land Tax, ect. "the works":3. (BTW sorry I have yet to put it on cube tutor so you guys can see the cube.)

We did sealed (for time constraint reasons) even though the cube is meant for draft. I tell everyone to just pick 50 cards then make a 40 card deck. I tell everyone because we had some bad picks of 50 cards in the past that. "If you really don't like what you got you can pick 5 cards from your current stack and grab a new stack of 45 putting the old 45 back and try to make a deck out of that." So everyone makes there deck, no one does my new 45 rule and we start to play.

So we start playing 1v1 then after the first game we have a second game of winners battling wail losers play to get a little bracket going.

When it was all said and done I had won however it was very close games for every game I had played. However 1 person in the play group just got crushed every round. I asked him if I could see his deck to see why he didn't do as well, to maybe see if there was a tweaking I could do to my cube.

I start to look through his deck and all I see are 4 drops and above stuff that really should never be hard casted AND MOTHERFUCKING 20 LANDS!!!
So I ask him right off the bat why do you have 20 lands in here he said " I had really big stuff so I needed the mana". I start shaking my head and ask him "what where you trying to make?" He says "he wanted to make a control deck". I look though the deck again, the only control card I see is the cubes FOW.

In my mind i'm like WTF, so I prob a little further (playing dumb) "So what control cards did you have?"

He starts off with "well FOW of course"
I say "of course".

New player here with dumb question

If a land doesn't specify what type it is (Mountain/Swamp/etc) does it not count as any of those?

Like does tappedout.net/mtg-card/mana-confluence/ have a color?

>If a land doesn't specify what type it is (Mountain/Swamp/etc) does it not count as any of those?

Correct. if it doesn't have a type in the type line, it isn't any of those types.

>Like does tappedout.net/mtg-card/mana-confluence/ have a color?

No that land is colourless. But the colour of mana it produces, and the land type a land has, don't determine its colour. All basic lands (and most nonbasic, aside from things like Dryad Arbor) are colourless.

If it doesn't say "Mountain/Swamp/Island/Plains/Forest," it is not one of them

>Does Mana Confluence have a color?
Lands never have a color unless explicitly stated (Dryad Arbor).

It doesn't qualify as any types if it is not specified. However, if something says "Mountain Forest" like Cinder Glade, it counts as BOTH types.

So then he starts rattling off Clone and Mull Drifter.
I cut him off and ask him "Well you do know Mull Drifter isn't really a (air quotes) control card , it's really a card advantage card.
He states "yeah I know! Card advantage IS control"
I state "No it's not!"
He tries to play it off with "well then lets just agree to disagree."
I'm really getting pissed at how stupid and arrogant this guy is.
I drop the subject.
Some time passes we play some coup to calm the situation down and everyone starts having a good time. One of the friends says he has to leave because of work the next day.

The loser and the guy who was hosting the get together just sit back and start playing some games.
I just sit on the side putting away coup and my cube. I get all my stuff put away for transport.

I ask them both because this is the first time the remaining members of the party had played my cube. "what did you think of my cube"?
The host says "he loved it!!"
The loser says "well I don't really like the fact that its a singleton cube because it's not consistent and that I should make a cube to resemble a "dessert cube" because it's more fun"
I tell him "Well I am tired of consistency in edh and 60 card formats and that's why I made a singleton formatted spike cube"
He responds with "Well consistency is more fun and that's why your cube sucks"
I get really pissed at the arrogance of this piece of shit and tell him "make your own fucking cube then pussy!!"
He gets really butt hurt and states "He never wants to play my cube again!" and leaves the hosts house like a little bitch.

The night ends on a sour note and I pack up my shit and drive home really pissed.

The end.

So just just started playing again, I never got into it seriously but just want to stop wasting money on packs and fat packs. I'm looking to start buying the actual cards I need and make good decks. My local store has a shit selection and I live in Canada. Where is the best site tof buy cards online and have them shipped here without paying a fortune?

Facetoface games? Here in ontario it's bretty gud. Most LGS will order you specific things if you ask them nicely. Where do you live fellow syrup nigger?

Mississauga.

I've been trying to make an "evil" deck. Post cards with friend frustrating evil effects?

Just got one of these, intend to get a play set, honestly think this card is under valued at the moment.

No way! I'm in Peterborough. If you're ever in the area hit up Jeff's/Grey Guardian games, it's my favorite/only lgs with a pretty solid mtg community. I'll buy you a beer and crush you in commander some time.

Is there a simulator or some other practical internet-resources-using method for doing 2-person draft formats like Winston or Winchester draft? I think I've seen some involving cubes but not for actual sets.

A card like Dismember gives a card temporarily reduced stats till the end of the turn

If the stats are reduced to 0 or below is the card just destroyed?

Creatures with 0 or less toughness die as a state-based action, if I recall. Even being "indestructible" won't save them.

There was an user here some time ago who did awesome edits for edh

I'll have to check it out. Need a decent place to go to that isn't a hole in the wall.

Who /living/ in the home region of WOTC, Seattle?

Card Kangdom forever

So I'm currently building a casual W/U deck based on Daxos and Geist of Saint Traft, here's what I've got so far. Any help would be appreciated

Creatures
4x Daxos of Meletis
3x Geist of Saint Traft
4x Ascended Law Mage
4x Deputy of Acquitals

Enchantments
2x Righteous Authority
4x Aqueous Form
4x Detention Sphere

Instants
4x Counterspell
3x Voyage's End
2x Azorius Charm

Sorceries
2x Supreme Verdict
Haven't looked through my dual lands in awhile, but I plan on running 24 lands and I should have a couple playsets that are better than just guildgates so I'm not too worried about it.

Criticism, thoughts?

Pic unrelated

Play reflector mage :^)

Or use invocation of saint traft on geist of saint traft to make Geist of Saint Traft have two stands

Gonna look into a Zada/Silverfur Partisan standard deck

Both cards look like they.will work well. I could also use invocation of Saint Traft on Daxos for some good lols. Appreciate it user.

If something says "add 2 Plains/Mountain/etc to your mana pool" does that mean you physically play 2 of those cards or is it just a token thing?

It just adds two imaginary white mana to your mana pool that you can use to cast spells before it goes away after phases end. For example, if Vessel of Volatility adds four red mana to your mana pool, you can cast spells that cost 4 red mana (or 4 universal mana) until the phase ends and your mana pool drains. Mana pool contents aren't tokens or objects. They're just a value of how many colored or uncolored mana parts you have ready to use for spells and abilities.

>Get these cards in a box yesterday
>I fucking hate white it's so boring
>I hate red it's so boring
>I only have 1 sorin so unless I buy another 1 why build a deck with it

What the fuck do I even do with my expensive cards that I won't use?

Sell them if they're actually worth anything, I guess?

hymn to tourach

Is this a good deck to bring to FNM?

pastebin.com/tUqJp92b

My group of casual players now allows proxies. What is the best format for casual play when money isn't an issue? We have a mix of hardcore players who play legecy and some newbies as well.

EDH?

I'm not sure on split cards, but for fuse, if you dont cast it from your hand, you only get one.

If money isn't an issue you might as well play Vintage

Why is water mana abbreviated as "U"? I get all the others, but that doesn't make any sense.

Okay, first understand the color codes first started as internal cataloguing for set development or something like that, alright? They want to have a single letter for color so they can fit color, rarity, and an identifying number in like four characters. Awkward thing is: Black and Blue both start with the same letter. So one of them is going to be another letter in the word, so let's go in order. Neither can be L, because lands, being colorless, get their own marker in the color spot and they pretty much have to be L. Anyway bLack and bLue have the same thing there so that's dumb anyway. Another letter forward - A doesn't work, because like lands Artifacts are colorless, and they start with A. But hey, look, U doesn't share a letter with anything in the same slot and is unique to blUe, let's use that.

>trying so hard to pull 1 more avacyn
>fails, every pack a disappointment

I hate you user.

Enjoy the math of the stack.

>pulling packvacyns

There's your issue.