/5eg/ D&D 5e General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Ye olde threade: What is the most memorable environment/place you've been in in game? And how did your DM make it so memorable? (Or if you're the DM, whats your greatest hit and why?)

Other urls found in this thread:

naturalcrit.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

To the user from the previous thread, I use

naturalcrit.com

Standard markdown type stuff, with the added benefit of "printing" it as a pdf file like I did mine.

Also, reposting V5, cause I was on the ass end of the last general.

I prefer divine sense. The game was already going that way everytime they revised detect evil, and 5e's authors obviously wanted alignments to stop being a crutch for bad roleplayers.

The idea that they detected supernatural evil was already hinted at back in 2E even (where they flatly state it won't ping just because you've got a merchant with an E alignment, he's got to be actively going full Shylock about it)

I dunno if I've done well or fucked up horribly. I'm running HotDQ and my players came to really like an NPC slated to die and now they're ready to murder the whole caravan if it means getting revenge.

That's like five star DMing right there.

A+ DMing. I'd really wanna hear the buildup behind this.

You've got them to like an NPC! That's great! My players almost always seem to either think an NPC is lame and make fun of them, or get competitive with them if they seem competent and think they're a complete cock!
If they do start going towards murderkill crazy, then remind them they're really outnumbered, and not the only fighting types around. When the murder happened in our game, the crowd started to blame the party rogue, and it turned out like the cheesiest courtroom drama, with OBJECTION, last minute evidence, druid shape shifting into a cat and listening in on the 'prosecution'. Cultists eventually ended up getting themselves in trouble with the rest of the caravan for being so "suspicious" and they found it harder to blend in for the rest of the trip.

Was it the monk, the gnome lady, or someone else?

>DM is speaking as the BBEG
>Starts to talk in a monotonous, uninterested voice to try and sound like a badass

>There's a clear opportunity to work around a scenario the DM has built up
>"Haha whoa, youre gonna need to roll a nat 20 for that to happen xD

>Attack an NPC that the DM may or may not have plans for
>Turns out he did have plans for it but didn't make that apparent
>Roll a 19+huge strength modifier
>Y-you miss and he teleports away

Had my first session with 5e today and it was well, even though all the players including DM have adhd. There was usually five things happening all at once and my character didn't exactly get a chance to shine. It was hard for me to concentrate or find a way to involve myself in the game. My character actually came very close to death in the one only combat encounter we had. Managed to kill a bulette in the end. As for the homebrew lore, it makes sense but I can't seem to get a feel for why every player is there because they seem to always dodge the question and proceed to do some silly shit. This is everybody's including DM's playing style. Also my DM can't tell a story for shit.

So far I'm just a traveling brewmaster following these chaotic types that are wanted for murder. They say they are the good guys but from their insane, braindead choices I can't see how. We've been playing DnD for two years and I've had to deal with this all the time. Should I just lower my expectations from now on and just do the silly shit with them even though I want a meaningful gaming experience?

Anybody?

>PC race as undead

u are so dumb

>standard action
>unnerve lasts an extra round
>gain vicious mockery using what modifier? Charisma? Then why give Int bonus
>advantage over disease an poison, what does this mean?
>Reflex saving throw
>Will saving throw

JUST STOP THIS IS 5E NOT FUCKING 4E YOU PRICK

Hey, I asked for some advice about owning and managing an elephant a couple weeks ago and passed it onto the DM, and he managed to work in using the elephant for land freight service, and I've been spending a lot more on supplies and things.

We also bought a giant trailer for it to haul stuff around in, too. It's pretty fun overall, thanks for the advice, guys.

As part of our ongoing storyline in the Realms, Cyric was sealed in his home plane by a group of good aligned gods, and the PCs, who were followers of Cyric, used an ancient titan-created artifact that has the power to nullify the gods power to free him. They were standing at the edge of the plane surrounded by infinity and the gods began to arrive, some to try and stop the PCs, some to help us, others just to take advantage. The PCs used the staff to cause Torm to fall from the sky like a comet. It was a great moment and a great image in our heads.

>advantage
>what does this mean?

"Advantage reflects the positive circumstances surrounding a d20 roll, while disadvantage reflects the opposite. When you have either advantage or disadvantage, you roll a second d20 when you make the roll. Use the higher of the two rolls if you have advantage, and use the lower roll if you have disadvantage." - Basic Rules, Page 4.

The rest you got me on, and I'm fixing. I was using an outdated site to revamp some traits, and I guess I didn't update it enough.

Also, the PCs had a powerful lich as an ally, and the lich and the PCs were laying waste to a camp of soldiers loyal to Amaunator. The Chosen of Amaunator, a white haired human cleric, teleported in and turned the lich and started to wreck our shit. The PCs used the artifact staff to sever his attachment to his god, and the lich murdered him. The DM did a fantastic job of showing how cutting the Chosen off from his god utterly broke him. He had been a thorn in our side for some time and it was very satisfying.

It's the only time we played as an evil party, or even evil characters, which can sometimes be hard to do. But having every member belong to the same church and have them all working together towards the same goal (freeing cyric) removed the constant backstabbing and other nonsense often associated with evil parties. The Blackguard was always up to something, once he pushed an old woman into a sewer and the DM made the old woman an avatar of Waukeen, and he was turned into a toad as punishment.

Thanks, I'm perusing it while working on my own. It's at the very least interesting.

Don't worry about these braindead morons, they've clearly never attempted to produce content for the game.

Probably a stupid question but, when a spell is successfully counter spelled, does it burn the spell slot of the caster whose spell was cut off?

Yes, the spell slot is still used even if it's counterspelled.

In Curse of Strahd, you can help out an entire family of wereravens, who are actively seeking to bring down Strahd. Wereravens by their nature, despite being lycanthropes, "respect local laws, and strive to do good whenever possible" on top of being naturally charitable. In other words, they are naturally like the most righteous of good adventurers. Furthermore, they do not bite people often for fear of spreading the curse to those who "don't deserve it or who would abuse it."

However, given that:
1. The party helps out the people of Barovia and the wereravens directly,
2. The party wishes to bring Strahd down directly and show themselves capable of putting up a fight, and
3. The party can, as soon as 5th level, cast Remove Curse to cure any non-natural lycanthrope, proving that their affliction would not be permanent...

What's stopping them from being willingly afflicted with wereraven lycanthropy (and having the wereravens agree to infect them) and walking through Strahd's lands with immunity to non-magical, non-silver bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, along with a natural fly speed and shapeshifting abilities?

I'm playing D&D for the first time this weekend and I'm pretty nervous.
With 3 other pals.
They'd been playing a story or whatever for like 2 years and it ended a month ago.
They're getting back into it and want to get me involved.

I'm flipping through the player's guide and it feels a bit daunting.

Mainly the only thing that stops them is the lack of player mechanics.

In 2e, the ravenloft netbooks (Book of S) had a system for lycanthropy, while it was unofficial, it was written by the guys who succeeded the original 2e writers, so it might as well be official. Lycanthrope powers beyond the baseline used proficiency points (both WP and NWP), so I figure you could argue for making a "Better Lycanthrope" feat with a baseline of abilities from just being a wereraven.

FWIW, the 2E wereraven was CG in the ravenloft Monster Compendiums.

>What's stopping them from being willingly afflicted with wereraven lycanthropy (and having the wereravens agree to infect them) and walking through Strahd's lands with immunity to non-magical, non-silver bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, along with a natural fly speed and shapeshifting abilities?

Realising that Curse of Strahd is pretty mediocre as written and house-ruling the fuck out of it.

Oh yeah, that said most people don't know that wereravens are good, so you're still a dirty lycanthrope and should be ready to end up facing a lynchmob if you go around Barovia in raven form. If anything, other lycanthropes might even try to stir the lynch mobs if they find out you're a wereraven.

>Mainly the only thing that stops them is the lack of player mechanics.
The MM and the appendix of CoS detail what happens when a player becomes a lycanthrope and wereraven in particular. The mechanics are there.

There are wereravens living in Vallaki that have managed to stay hidden all their lives. Other lycanthropes not so much.

In the end the thing stopping them is probably time more than anything. People who become lycanthropes are implied (in MM lore) to not have full control over their transformations and such right away. That still doesn't stop the main problem, the damage immunities.

In the end I'll probably just have the wereravens refuse to infect them if they ask.

Is it better for a necromancer to take control of a mummy lord of a vampire?

>playing "the marionette" supplement adventure for CoS.
>get to the part where the city is getting fucked over by fire and undead.
>see villager in burning jail pleading for help
>being a doctor and a thief rogue, I go help him.
>quickly free him and get out.
>immediately turns into a raven and flies away.
>got a sweet reward and their favor for helping him.
>feels good man.

Yeah, there's usually a distinction between born lycanthropes and infected in terms of control.

Also one reward an old module had was a feather token that could act as a magical beacon for the specific wereraven it came from, basically wereraven cavalry.

Mummy Lord if he can successfully control it. Unless the vampire is a spell caster. The mummy Lord has healing spells (i think their spell pool is derived from the cleric list) and is stupid strong. Vampires are strong too but not as strong since they have a large pool of weaknesses and usually no spells.

Trap classes:
>Ranger
>"Berserker" Barbarian
>"Champion" Fighter

Trap races:
>Drow
>Tiefling
>Dragonborn

Veeky Forums's official 9gag approved list of troll feats:
>Athlete
>Actor
>Dual Wielder
>Dungeon Delver
>Durable
>Elemental Adept
>Grappler
>Inspiring Leader
>Keen Mind
>Mage Slayer
>Martial Adept
>Medium Armor Master
>Savage Attacker

Avoid these and you'll be fine

Don't worry. Personally I think the rules are easier to learn in practice.
I don't think there's a difference in control one way or the other. It's just that people who are born lycans started their lives behaving like their lycan. For wereravens that's no big deal because they are LG.

I know what advantage means, you plebe, but "advantage over poison and disease" has no meaning.

Over what? The damage? The saving throw?

YOU HAVE TO SPECIFY CUNT

>Actor
>Inspiring Leader
>bad
Inspiring Leader is literally a better rally and Actor is amazing if you're playing an urban campaign or one with social interactions (or you just want that sweet 16 cha).

If you need help, you should probably try asking them. I'd suggest playing something pretty straightforward like a Rogue though.

The caster thing wouldn't work because the vamp really needs to be feeble minded in order to stay subservient. The weakness thing is a good point though. It would suck to go on an epic quest to enslave a vamp and then just have him get exploded because he didn't come home before curfew.

Not necessarily the most memorable, but my rogue sacrificed himself for the "death" of the BBEG with a dimensional rift (bag of holding inside of another)
After coming to, I found myself on an island surrounded by some silvery water and shooting stars. Probably the only interesting thing my DM has done for a story.

I disagree with only two things:
>dragonborn can be solid as a paladin or fighter.
>elemental adept is perfect for Dragon sorcerer, and to a lesser extent storm sorcerer, since it allows them to focus on their chosen element and deal very solid damage to enemies, even if they resist the element.

Other than that, your pretty spot on.

Are you me?

I have a similar problem, except my party continually replays the same characters in a different class. They are universally single dimensional ALWAYS DO GOOD characters and they get us into some incredibly stupid shit. I would, just for once, like an evil party, or a party consisting of some fucking variety or morally grey characters. The paladins rushing to save the little girl who fell down the well act is getting really damn old.

Wow, are you anal retentive.

Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun. I've been wanting to play an evil party for a while now, but no one in my group ever plays evil characters. They just remake their same old 1 or 2 good characters and replay the same people in every campaign we play. An evil campaign or at least a campaign with some variety in alignments would be interesting to me, and yours sounds like a good time.

This whole list is a meme, do not take trolls seriously

Inspiring Leader
>Requires 100 rounds
>affects six total creatures
>restores [your charisma mod]+[your level] hit points
>maximum of 5+[your level]

Healer
>requires an action (or a bonus action if you're an arcane trickster or a thief)
>heals one creature (two per turn if you're a rogue as above)
>restores 1d6+4+[their level]
>maximum of (assuming your party is all the same level) 10+[your level]
>minimum of 5+[your level]

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Healer allows you to revive your companions as an action (or bonus action as a rogue). This benefit of the feature has no limit aside from how many (1gp) healing kits you have.

Numbers are paramount, people. If you don't have the best numbers your character is useless.

What's bad about Dual Wielder?

I can tell you're intending to be ironic, but taken literally, your statement is correct. If you don't have adequately high enough stats, your character will not be able to succeed at anything xe attempts. Imagine the most autistic, weak, ugly person you can, and you have a character of 9/10/10/11/12/9. Xe won't be able to succeed in any interaction (hostile or friendly).

>Xe
?

A modern, rarely-used gender-neutral pronoun.

It's bait. Don't fall for it.

This is a pretty bad shitpost, the xe makes it far too obvious. Just go with they next time, people will argue with you even if you don't bring up identity politics.

It would be fine if it included +1 to Str or Dex, but as it stands, is not worth.

>+1AC is quite nice if you are really keen on dual-wielding
>allows you to dual-wield 1d8 weapons rather than 1d6s which only increases your average damage potential by 2+(number of extra attacks)
>draw or stow two one-handed weapons as your free item interaction should just be permitted regardless, and can be circumvented by holding your weapons whenever you're at risk to enter combat

So, useful parts of the feat
>+1AC
>+2+(#extra attacks) of average damage potential per turn
Isn't really worth a feat on its own.

rate my homebrew class. It's not done yet

1/2

Inspiring leader actually gives temporary HP. It's useful for giving a party a slight edge if they are about to go into a dungeon. It's good at early levels and if you get prep time but falls off as you further progress past the super fragile levels. Healer has the same flaw but thief rogues can make amazing use of it both in and out of combat.

its trash

2/2. table isnt filled out because i haven't made the abilities yet. still thinking about it. anyone got suggestions?

any reasons why?

This type of flavor doesn't deserve a full class.

Consider instead:
- fighter archetype
- rogue archetype
- paladin oath or variant rules on existing oaths
- a fitting background with the Mage Slayer feat

I a) refuse to refer to individual entities using plural pronouns and b) refuse to use he/she every time I refer to a non-specifically sexed individual.

Fucking hell, Gary Gygax ximself would be disappointed by you pair of buffoons.

Yeah well Gary Gygax also said dogs can't look up.

way to eat a mouthful of shit, faggot

>implying "they" can't be singular, even though it's a commonly accepted and officially grammatically correct use of the word
>wanting to use snowflake terms for literally no other reason than being a snowflake and going by your feelings
Would have been decent bait if you hadn't gone full retard with the "ximself" there at the end. Stop trying so hard, user.

Pic related.

If you're going to insult me, please don't use problematic words like "retard".

>rate my class
>posts a blank page
This is hilarious.

This is weak bait, honestly. If you want to falseflag as tumblr, do it in a 40k thread or something.

Did you see me use these pronouns before? They get quite a rise out of the dim and oppressive.

I agree with this user Do not fear that other user's list. Just play whatever seems fun. This statement may trigger some posters on this forum though.
And in saying that I don't mean just have fun even though that list user is right. He's wrong about a lot of things.

>Trap classes:
all wrong, Ranger arguably post level 8
>Trap races:
drow will be tricky but otherwise all wrong
>Veeky Forums's official 9gag approved list of troll feats:
not approved by anyone and you're so wrong. savage attacker is rarely ever optimal, durable takes a certain type of player/campaign, but otherwise all wrong. martial adept i think sucks but some anons like it.

christ this is bad bait. don't bait new players they don't need that.

Don't listen to , , and , they're trying to make you fall for the "5e is fun no matter what you play" meme.

Refute and also explain how some of those feats are not traps. Especially Medium Armor Master.

If it were against the damage it'd be resistance ya fookin' goober. Read the damn book rules you're sperging so hard over.

i bitched at you the first time around that you posted this. or maybe it was v2.

i think you're doing better.

i don't remember if your pacts level 14 ability was the same but mass stun seems to powerful. does it only last 1 turn? and if so why do they make a saving throw on subsequent turns. it says "while transformed" but doesnt show what that means. if its more than one turn its definitely too powerful. mass, persistent stun is too much.
there are some other posters who commented and are really rude, but their actual points are good. vicious mockery is weird for the int race, but you can just say that your casting stat for it is intelligence. in fact you should definitely say that. i'm kind of torn if thats too powerful or not as vicious mockery is one of the best attack cantrips, and i don't like that it pulls a spell off the bard list that is bard only. but that might just be me.
the dex race seems like it needs some love to me now. i think thats another one i called out as too powerful before. don't remember what they had. the ability is powerful but i'd be cool with them getting something else too, even just a swim speed or something.

the whole race seems really powerful as a whole, but then again sunlight sensitivity is huge.

i would take off the extra damage the wisdom race takes. its not really needed and keeping track of damage types and adding modifiers to them is a lot of extra bookwork. you might also want to give them something a little extra because that ability may or may not ever come up. the subtypes are kind of misbalanced that way. vicious mockery wont always be useful, but it will always be usable. unarmored ac might not always be useful, but it will probably always be a good fallback. and being intimidating probably will always be useful. but the others are kind of...... either really great or really pointless.

Not any of those anons, but 5e, imho, is really fun in general and as long as your not fully trying to gimp yourself into complete uselessness it can be fun with any reasonable build. The only reason it wouldn't be would be if you had a shitty DM or a shitty player who ruins everyone's fun.

>Refute and also explain how some of those feats are not traps. Especially Medium Armor Master.
i don't feel like responding to trolls, but in brief and only because you want to spread disinformation to newbies:

if you're going to dual wield, consider taking the dual wielding feat. if you're not going to dual wield, don't take it. its value to a dual wielder decreases rapidly if your dm doesn't care about enforcing how many object interactions you can make at a time, ie doesnt care if you draw two weapons at once or not without the feat. if he does care though, i think you should consider it, and +1 ac is not bad in a game with bounded accuracy. additionally any other benefit you can gain that deals with weapon dice, such as improved critical, will be bolstered by your ability to roll d8s instead of d6s.

medium armor master is a niche feat most won't need to consider, but if you want to build a stealthy guy in medium armor, you should take it. if not, don't.

>corner-case half-assed justifications

So how do you DMs prepare maps for games like CoS and stuff? Do you print out miniature called version? Do you draw them out? I want to run CoS for my group soon but it is so expansive so I'm trying to see how many resources are feasible available.

Yeah, bitches though they be, I take some truth with these "troll" criticisms.
Speed Swim for the Dex Sub seems like such a no-brainer in hindsight. Thanks!

I'd already been working on changing Vicious Mockery to, I dunno, Blade Ward, maybe?

I'll remove the limiters for the Wisdom class, but not sure what to add to them, since they technically receive 3 whole bonus points in the physical stats. (Although I get where you're coming from otherwise.)

Miniature scaled version*

For Curse of Strahd I take the digital maps (in the Mega), crop them an easy aspect ratio, downsize them to 2000 pixels, and save them as 80% compressed JPEGs. Then I throw them on Roll20 and resize them to fit the grid by hand.

If you have a laptop and an HDTV, you could try doing the same thing and use the TV as a secondary monitor with a player version of the map. It's what I plan to do once I've moved and start doing IRL games again.

Strike that last part, I was looking at the first subrace. I'm an idiot.

this is why responding to trolls is dumb

The whole list is a meme.

Veeky Forums is shit at balance so any opinions here about it are automatically trash

In fact most discussion in these generals is little more than white noise

this sounds really good though

Le edgy nihlist poster....Heh... nothin personelle.... Veeky Forums...

>These feats aren't worth taking
Tell me why

Hm I don't think I can manage that though, but thank you for your advice.

Nothing edgy or nihilistic about it, just the truth

Surely you realize these threads have devolved to little more than /v/ tier shitposting most of the time, you're doing it right now

Is dual wielding worth it for an assassin?

uhm

where does everyone buy their dice

FLGS
Amazon

a set can cost $4-$10

or buy a pound of dice from chessex

For most mono-classed rogues it is

Only exception would be if you're playing a thief and have bandoliers of acid, oil, alchemist's fire, caltrops, ball bearings, traps...
A utility belt pretty much

no. you need your bonus action to disengage or w/e

If you're willing to wait a month, Aliexpress has sets for under $2 with free shipping.

I wanna play a dagger throwing college of swords bard, how do I do my action economy?

wrong. you dual wield so that on the off chance you miss the first attack, you have a second opportunity to hit them with the sneak attack.

otherwise you can cunning action if you hit the first attack or whatever. i mean, if you dual wield you can still use your brain and decide to use or not use the offhand attack as needed.

if you're going in melee you should pretty much always have two weapons out just in case, unless like said you need to have a free hand for something. but you can always drop a dagger if you need to.

but really the truth is you should just consider dual wielding one thing that a rogue can use. its not the main point of being a rogue, but its a useful tool.

thanks anons

I gotta buy a cool-looking set of dickloads of d6

fucking oathbow + sneak attack got me like damn

you really shouldnt even be meleeing as a rog, you could easily get chewed up
you should be using a crossbow or a shortbow or something

>juggle daggers in combat
>don't worry about using item interactions to draw each dagger you throw

I doubt my DM is gonna accept that, especially because I need to play musical instruments to cast spells.

from experience playing a thief... shit happens. and when it does and your party is counting on you to stab the medusa your fighter has pinned to the floor in the hallway with a bag over its head, you're going to want a second shot after you roll a 3. true story.

like i said, its not like dual wielding should really be your focus (well, unless you want it to be, i won't stop you). but its definitely a tool you should remember to use when it comes up.

Rogue literally never needs to be in melee range because daggers essentially have 3xReach.

For that matter, rogues should basically only use darts because they're super cheap and essentially the exact same thing as a dagger.

>not standing on one foot while holding the guitar in your teeth and playing the chords with the other foot and using your hands to juggle the daggers

Edits have been made. Looking into slight rebuffing the COM, CYM, and CYS subraces, but only lightly.

Clarified the Warlock lvl 14 ability, and removed the continuous paralysis.