Dropzone Commander

Does anybody play this game? I don't think I've seen a DzC general thread in literally ever. I was thinking of trying to convince someone to go in on a 2-player starter box or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/HWG_Newsletter_40_-_salute_2015.pdf?5510651607815006605
mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Thor_Bombard_-_Experimental_Rules_1.0.pdf?11132109922621204573
youtube.com/watch?v=rrys7lxyatk
dzc-ffor.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not a big fan of those tank and ship designs but those APCs are 10/10

You haven't been looking too hard then. Both Dropzone and Dropfleet have had threads in the past few months. I was pretty hype about Dropzone when it first came out but then the miniatures were the price of GW minis and I said nah.

Yeah, I was thinking of going for these guys if I actually got into it

Really? It looks a bit cheaper, though I guess it's kinda hard to tell with the difference in scale.

The resin stuff is a bit pricey, but the new plastics are cheaper if less detailed.

There have been generals before. It kind of comes and goes. The fan base just isn't quite large enough for regular threads. When the Dropfleet Kickstarter was going on (late 2015) there were lots of threads and hype.

I think once DF comes out this summer it and the older DZ will have another resurgence in popularity.

Has there been any word on some sort of interplay between DfC and DzC? Could make for some amusing campaigns.

>- A framework for linking games of Dropfleet and Dropzone will be present in the rulebook,
opening up many exciting possibilities for campaigns and narrative settings
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/HWG_Newsletter_40_-_salute_2015.pdf?5510651607815006605

>Not a big fan of those tank designs
This, I can't get over those pivot arm turrets.

I dunno, the more I look at them, the more they grow on me.

That was the case for me with the Shaltari.

Aren't they based on old proposed Cold War designs?

I mean in those instances the periscope had an ATGM launcher on the end, but otherwise the same.

Threads pop up every now and then. It is a pretty great game. Solid ruleset and is probably the most balanced one I have ever seen. It has some problems like any other game, but on the whole it is awesome.

You can expect to spend around 120-150 USD for a standard game size army with some room to spare. You can buy a cheap terrain box from Hawk and then you are good to go.

Also Hawk is a pretty great company that engages their costumers, runs events with them, and has some great costumer service. As a result their community is pretty awesome.

The fluff is cool, but nothing to special yet. Human race in early days of become thanks to the help of space hedgehogs (who are secretly cocks). A space ball shows up tells the humans they are going to die and to leave. Like 1% does and the rest get their shit wrecked by alien jellyfish that take over peoples bodies. Only the shitty outer colonies survive. Game kicks off 150 years later with the outer colonies having spent those years building up their military into the colonial marines from aliens about to kick of reconquest of earth space. 1% people who ran come back as cyber enchanced and say don't do it, but UCM says fuck they were are going.

Factions are:

UCM - Space Colonial Marines

Scourge - Space Jellyfish Bodysnatchers

Shaltari - High Tech Space Hedgehogs seperated into warring tribes

Post Human Republic - Space Deus Ex guys let by Space Ball: They don't seem to be helping UCM and just do what they want, which includes sometimes being a dick to the UCM.

Resistance: Mad Max style left overs of Human Race on core planets

Negatives include:

Pricey - Resin is expensive, but you don't need to buy that much stuff.

Forums are slow. You can sign up on there and it will be like 2 weeks before you hear back.

There aren't as many players so finding games can be tough sometimes unless you have a nerd crew already.

Some of the early sculpts aren't so great.

It is also worth noting in the negatives spot that some of the plastic stuff just doesn't look that great.

I don't get how people can be so upset over what is a really cool & practical design. The UCM tanks are my favorite sci-fi tank.

Do all tanks have to look like something you've seen before?

>Put weapon on arm so it can fire while hidden
>Place cameras and sensors on hull

Also, where does the ammo feed come from?

I also don't like the fluff of one crew member. You'd want a driver and a gunner in ANY situation to be more effective.

I bought the 2-player starter set, am looking forward to finishing painting them up and playing some games.

That being said, no one around where I live seems to play/be interested. It's all X-Wing and Warmachine. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah, the Post-Human units at least have an AI co-pilot to help coordinate movement and targeting

I don't get how people can be so upset over what is a really cool & practical design. The UCM tanks are my favorite sci-fi tank.

Do all tanks have to look like something you've seen before?

You just posted this.

It drops down to reload after every third shot?

I like that the fluff for the time between the first release and Reconquest v1.1 as taking place over less than a year in-game. It's much more compelling than 'endless war, nothing ever changes'. Tactics and technology are changing every month as the war rages, and the war feels like it will have a definite story.

While I agree the optic thing is a little silly, you could make the argument that the UCM is future military designed to fight networked together. Other assets work together to help provide targeting data so you don't always need to see what you are shooting at.

Ammo is supposed to be flat disc shapped projectiles around the size of a melon. They are just stacked in between the heat sync.

The one person crew thing isn't that big of a deal. Again its the future, most of the vehicle is computer controlled. That isn't that far fetched, most jets are single seat now eliminating the old back seat weapons officer position. In a future where equipment is common and personnel scarce this is a logical solution.

However, it all really go with how far much you want to drink the Kool-Aid on the its is the future that is why fluff. I dig it, but I can see why some might not.

They are supposed to be finishes off an App soon. It was pitched as a gaming aid and one of the features was a player finder that helps you find other players. We will see what happens. Dropfleet is slated to arrive at the end of the month so I bet they are pretty swamped.

I agree and I think it has a lot of potential. Problem is that it is still in its infancy stage. We don't know much about the other races at all yet. And not much has been really revealed. There is still plenty of time to drive it into the toilet.

Still I am hopeful. I am enjoying it so far and I like the themes and writing (minus the glaring errors)

App? DfC at the end of the month?
Source?

>most jets are single seat now eliminating the old back seat weapons officer position.

Yeah, but when you are zipping around in the air there are a lot less obstacles like walls and trees directly in front of you.

That being said, I just get over it by pretending it has a 2-man crew.

>cool & practical design
That's the first time I've ever heard that used in conjunction with DZC.

The general consensus is the game is decent but the models are shit. SHIT.

Really? Most people I've shown DZC to have thought the models looked cool, if a bit weird and art deco.

From the manual:
>'[The Avenger Railgun] is the UCM's premier anti-armour, kinetic energy weapon. When fired, a disc shaped, melon sized projectile is magnetically accelerated to blistering speed.'

Given the flattened shape this suggests, I imagine the silvery shape to the rear of the weapon represents some sort of auto-reloading magazine, with a number of projectiles stored within.

>The general consensus

He's lying.

There's two really recognizable guys that come into every DZ/FC thread to whine about the models being badly proportioned or overdesigned.

Generally, the opinion on the models is that they are excellent.

Those people were humoring you.

>Generally, the opinion on the models is that they are excellent.
>excellent
That's definitely not true.

So, who has the best method of getting your vehicles to hang from your dropships? magnets? pins? clips? magic?

I hear magnets are the way to go, but I don't know where you're supposed to hide them.

From the start, Hawk has said their shipping date goal was the last week of June. They have been saying that they are on schedule with every message they posted. It of course remains to be seen if they pull it off.

I agree. Some of them are a little wonky, but for the most part they are pretty cool looking. And the resin and metal ones come out great.

playing superior Scourge master race and using your cd trays as intended.

Played a demo game as UCM the other day, and it seems pretty fun. The Mad Max resistance dudes seem pretty cool and tickle my "Underdog Freedom Fighter" fetish.

But what if I want to deploy walkers?

We got ya shit covered, nigga.

You gotta use magnets. I have seen a few guides posted before. PHR has some easier magnet points. However, it is more trouble than it is worth.

So how do the walkers work on the tablestop? Can you take them instead of the hovertanks or do you need to use them together to be effective?

Question: can UCM not use magnets? do the clampy things work?

mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC

Alright guys, reuploaded just for you.

That shit needs magnets, yo. We back to square one now.

Really, any combination of walkers and tanks will work for the scourge, so long as they support the rest of the list.

Those holes on top line up with the dropship perfectly. Just scrape a little of the resin out and just glue them right in. Simple as hell. I had it done in half an hour.

Holy fuck that detail.

No, you do need magnets.

Based user.

magnets are recommended for all the groups to be safe if nothing else.

Does anyone have those kantocelle like pics of the phr and ucm ships? I remember them getting posted occasionally in the DFC threads.

Oh god why couldn't you just use mega

I got you covered.
Literally "PHR shipgirl" in Google gives it to you on the first and second hits

Downloading shit-tons of little individual files builds character, user.

>less than a month until SPACE SHIPS ship
I am fucking HYPE, especially after they confirmed that there will be corvettes released at later date.

Also, sprues.
I can't for the life of me figure out how the wings attach to the hulls for the scourge, but I assume it's some kind of ball mount.
articulating it is gonna suck

UCM frigates

UCM cruisers.

It looks like cruisers are being sold in packs of 3, or at least two, seeing as how you can't make a heavy cruiser from just a single sprue.

What do you guys think of the new releases? The Thor is pure sex, and is really wanting to make me play PHR.

cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Thor_Bombard_-_Experimental_Rules_1.0.pdf?11132109922621204573

The leopard is pretty damn cool, too.

I see what looks like half-disc shaped connection points. Hopefully that means only one angle of articulation to worry about.

youtube.com/watch?v=rrys7lxyatk

Great, so now your walker's permanently stuck to your dropship. What's the next step in your master plan?

aww, yeah, finally a better way to deploy razorworms.

So, anyone in the mood for some leaks? I'm in the mood to share. first up, a slight variant on the Resistance gunship, with cannons instead of missiles.

Next up, the reverse; falcon gunships armed with missiles, not cannons.

we got some funky PHR concepts here

No idea what this is. Some sort of Angelos variant, maybe?

This looks like an Ocelot with an alternative weapon. might be cool.

label says it's a menchit variant. I can't figure out what the weapon is though.

Finally, what looks like a new Scourge command vehicle, called an Overseer. apparently, it's meant to buff the range of nearby plasma weapons.

The AA particle weapon on those may be over the top.

Those Angelos have nanomachine hives inside.

It is a two shot anti-tank weapon.

Wait, why would you ever want to do that? The gunships are amazing. Dat +2 E11.

The missiles are supposed to AA as well as ground. It is meant for light dropship hunting. It could be pretty great.

Looking to get started with a UCM force since this game is gaining traction at my FLGS.
I've played a demo game using starter box forces and quite enjoyed it.

I've currently got a 2-player starter, Kodiak and UCM command deck ordered.
What would be useful things to expand with after that?
Most players locally still seem to have only starter sets and possibly a command unit.

Ahhh. That sounds promising. Right now I'm annoyed that most of the missiles the UCM gets tend to rely on Shaped Charge to get anything done. Very mercurial. It'll be nice to have a decent alternative to Rapiers or Archangels, though, particularly on such a mobile platform.

Falcons are great. Wolverines are easy to fit into a lot of armies. Ferrum Drone Bases are nasty. More Rapiers or Sabres'll be useful sooner or later, particularly Sabres. Some Praetorians with some Raven's a cheap and nasty addition.

Since you already have started stuff, don't both with buying more from that box. You might need a condor later, but there are a lot of other options that are better.

Most of your infantry should be riding Raven-As. Its cheap and more versatile than the Condor Bear combo.

Ferrum are pretty damn awesome. It is a do everything unit that is almost always worth it. Doesn't need a transport, just sits in the corner all game being annoying as hell. Pairs well with the Kodiak.

Hazard Suits are great options for the exotic slot. They put out good fire power and are durable.

Longbows and Mortar teams are great for long range killing power.

Katanas tend to replace Sabres the more competitive you go. Katanas are fast enough that you can get away with not using a dropship and in most cases 2 lower strength shots is better than 1 higher strength shot.

>Condor Bear < Raven
Don't you have a lot less numbers, though?

Less per unit, but in most cases this is what you want. Having an extra base doesn't help you search better and is usually what your basic infantry are there for. In DZC, you have to balance enough objective grabbers with enough other stuff. It is better to have a several smaller units covering more area than one area having a lot in one spot.

The bears themselves aren't worth much (not very durable and no decent weapon). And with the condor, you are stuck with a slower platform that moves all your infantry together.

If you are commuting to a CQB, yes you do want more bases. Most of the time you are not going to want to use your basic infantry for that though.

There are some cases where you want the condor bear, but most of the time its Raven all the way. This may change soon as there is a lot of new fancy AA on the horizon that could spell the end of the light dropship. Hawk is pretty good at balancing things out though so we will see.

Thanks for the feedback.
Looking at this, some Raven-A light dropships and/or a Ferrum look like a good path for expansion at first.

Two questions, though:

One local player is interested in splitting another two-player starter with me.
Would that still be decent to bulk up quickly?

Aside from the core rulebook and the Reconquest book, is there anything I'd need to read ruleswise?

The basics you get are pretty useful at whatever scale, particularly as you go from skirmish to clash to battle.
>rules wise
Those two cover pretty much everything. Other than the PDFs for the test units.

So how often are infantry likely to actually get into CQB? You almost make it sound like they're there to push the objective button and not a lot else.

>mfw e11 large template at three and a half feet, along with devastator 3
>12 to 24 damage on structures

If I ever play PHR, it's going to be with these guys and a whole bunch of scorpions; rolling cyber-thunder.

>forgetting the Leopard
Two of these guys and a dreamsnare.

They are kind of there to do just that! For most of the game they are trying to score and taking pot shots with their weapons.

There will probably be only 1 to 2 CQB per game. The conditions have to be right for one. In many cases, you are better off pulling out and dropping the building than fighting with you rank and file. When you know you have to see in for the long haul, the light drops ships still come in handy because you can bring more units in from farther away.

to 24 damage on structures
>rereading barrage rules
>it's only 1 shot total from the entire squad, rather than 4
Well, that's a bit of a damper on things, at least against single targets.

Question: How effective would a war of the worlds Ramases, ass-deep-in-the-big walkers list be?

Is barrage optional? I can never remember if you can choose to fire a bunch of small shots instead.

Nope, looks like it's mandatory from what the rules say; looks like the Enyo is still the premier building demo.

While I'm not a Shaltari player, I think you would be okay. DZC is a combined arms game. You are going to need a mix of everything to succeed. However, due to the gate system Shaltari can get away with using some less optimal units for roles. A lot of the big walkers are powerful so with the right mix of essential units you could go far.

Down load the free army builder and fool around with some lists. I will automatically create the restrictions for you so you can see what you can do:

dzc-ffor.com/

i fucking love this scale in miniature games, gw style is way to big for anything but skirmish games.

is thsi game expensive ?

Similar to 40k in a lot of respects. $300-$400 for a full army, I think. Maybe a bit less.

Actually, about $200-$250 for a 1500 point army (which can be reduced through some of those box deals), $300-$400 for a 2500 point army (which again, can be reduced through box deals possibly).

The models themselves are a little more expensive than I would like. You can expect to pay around 125-150 bucks on models for a standard army 1500. You can play games from around 500-3000 points (probably higher). However the game is best played at around 1500.

Rule around for about 20 and terrain pack (which comes with more than enough cheap cardstock terrain) is around 40. So for 200 you would be ready to go if you already had an opponent.

About what said if your army is just two box deals stuck together, or a little bit more expensive if you buy one of the prebuilt army deals.
closer to if you tailor your army and buy models individually.

Ok because there were three answer I went on Miniature Market and built a feasible army.

Standard Army
Clash: 1497/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1497/1500 pts]
Field Command [440 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A [72 pts]
Armored Formation [328 pts]
Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor(+Missile Pods) [152 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor(+Missile Pods) [176 pts]
Legionnaire Corps [327 pts]
Mortar Team: 2x Legionnaire Mortar Team, Condor(+Missile Pods), 2x Bear [145 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Mortar Team: 2x Legionnaire Mortar Team [72 pts]
Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
Legionnaire Corps [168 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [88 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Special Ordnance [100 pts]
Scimitar Squad: 2x Scimitar [100 pts]
Air Wing [134 pts]
Archangel Squad: 2x Archangel [134 pts]

With Command Cards it is retailing at around 175. So look like anno is probably closer to the money with 200 being like the min and 250 for if you buy a bunch more stuff to fool around with.

Does that logic apply to other factions as well or just UCM?

It varies. I'm a scourge player, and the weapons on our infantry and dropships and our speed change things up a bit. Our apc's can move 3" faster a turn and get skimmer bonuses. Get a squad of warriors in a building a third of the way up the field, they can hand any objectives they find to the APC while the dropship hunts light armor or infantry. Meanwhile the warriors have effective guns and wouldn't be wasted for a couple turns shooting if they have infantry or armored targets to unload upon.

So generally yes, the logic applies. Warriors are much more often mounted in light dropships, but each faction has quirks which open up unique modes of attack.

What about PHR/Juno?

Not in Pacific Pesos.