Monster People

Have you ever GM'd for a player that ran a Monstergirl/Monsterfella? What sort did they play, and how did you stat it? Is it possible for a PC to do this and not be an absolute furfag?

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/anthropomorphicAnimal.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What, like an elf?

Dare you enter my magical realm?

Nah, like a drider or lamia or some shit.

>furfag

The trouble with this type of player is they want their "anthro" to be the center of their world, rather than do-ING things in the world. If I were playing a ...human paladin, I might really get into what my armor looks like, or my sword, or whatever, and then I'd PLAY the game. I don't write lengthy prose on the length of my muzzle or the size of my feet or whatever. I don't travel around and look for recognition of my fursona, which seems to be what furs are all about.

>Anthros
Here's a spell you might not be aware of:
paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/anthropomorphicAnimal.html

That plus "Awaken" (from a druid) can pretty much make a person out of any animal. It's not a terrible hook for a story or a quest, just don't let the person get all weird about it. There are rules (easy ones) for making custom races too (usually +2 to something and -2 to something else) ...and just have fun with it.

>Why did the archdruid awaken me, and what does he want me to accomplish now that I'm a person?
Like I said, it's not a bad storyhook. Maybe there are a bunch of others in the world, and it's all connected somehow.

Had a player who wanted to be a centaur once.

>tfw the guy playing a slimegirl is my best player
He's never made it weird, so there are no complaints.

2/3 of my players play beastfolk.
This is because my setting is a grimdark wankfest of beastfolk + manfolk who fight against them.

Civilized driders would be kinda cool.
>3m high barkeep, polishing glasses and bidding the PCs welcome as they enter

All the barmaids are also driders, they transit the crowed bar using an intricate web in the roof, slittering down to give drinks and food. The second floor is just the upper part of that web.

How would they handle flies?

lunch

They have tiny spider friends in there.

Played in games where other players were, to varying degrees of weird to not weird. Most notable were probably an orca woman, or a female ginkgo ent.

I've played a dinosaur, two people that were one and one that was three, monster-slayer cyborgs, eternal gods doomed to outlast the universe and whatever comes after, sailors, WWIII German pilots, space-time travelling thiefs who were also dinosaur cowboys and heroes powered by funk.

All these things can be sexualized specially when funky dancing is involved. The trick is not to.

bump

Look how wide those bodies are. Cramped areas and transport mediums must be awful.

Only in human made arquitecture. If thry can scalate like spider, they are good.

So you're building things as if all surfaces are walls? Perhaps, but I have reservations about how such a civilisation could develop buildings. To make large enough buildings with complex enough reinforcements (pillars and whatnot to hold up things built upside-down/sideways), you'd first need to have complex enough simple buildings, but to get to that level you'll need to have mastered basic wooden huts, more or less. Wooden huts are gonna be difficult to make for individuals that wide. I know that barns exist and whatnot, but those are usually large-scale projects (assuming low technology) that are built off many smaller parts being slotted together.

Sure, they can live in caves, but then that means that they're confined to whatever geography already exists. Plus, most real-life caves are actually pretty cramped in general.

Moreover, spider limbs are weak, in comparison with mammalian muscles. Really, really weak. They work off blood pressure and valves, instead of, well, muscles. Hefting heavy objects (such as stone) to make these complex buildings will be difficult.

Of course, you can hand-wave this all away because it's HIGH FANTASY SHUT UP, but I'm sure I'll be able to find more issues regardless. As a person who really, really doesn't like hand-wavy worldbuilding, it's the reason why I haven't included driders in any of my settings. I like the idea, but in practice it's just not going to work as a civilisation.

My only idea that could work would be tree-dwelling ones (scaled down such that they're the size of, say, a large monkey), that construct treehouses and walkways. That way you can actually utilise the extra surface area, climbing isn't too much of an issue, and there's lots of food (insects, small reptiles, fruit, etc.) in general. Works well enough for me.

if you are scaling arachnid body parts to human sizes you are already bypassing the limits of that sorta arrangement. If we had honest to goodness driders running around their insides would be very, very different then the common spider.

That or its fucking magic.

I guess. Book lungs are completely infeasible at larger scales, but most artwork depict limbs that are far too thin to be useful legs. If we replace the legs with actual, muscled legs with an exoskeleton, and joints at the bendy parts, would that resolve it? We could just have the entire body be lightly built; who says the humanoid part needs to be exactly the same as a human, anyway?

On the subject of spiders, would pic related ever be physiologically feasible?

Sure, as long as you don't mind a freakishly larger head to account for a nervous system with extra limbs, and a higher caloric intake

Also, one more thing. I just don't get why the legs are facing the way they are. Why not have them face forward?

Nice trips. But also, spiders and invertebrates are only limited in size by the oxygen available in the atmosphere. They don't actually breathe like we do, so if they were to develop a stronger respiratory system like a mammals, they'd be able to fuel a much larger body. And if they did that, they wouldn't need the air capillaries in their legs and could fit more muscle.
>Spiders are kinda my thing, and driders/arachne even moreso.

She is a pseudo spider. Her horns and body forms and giant spider figure, and that is her main form of defense against predators. Also with her spider legs facing backwards, she can climb up while looking in a very wide range around her, and use her arms for other things while moving around it.

Do centaurs count?

hey, if they produce spider silk in reasonable amount, they could build light weight structure with wood and silk. that would be lacking in defensive power but if it's light (or at least the weight is distributed) enough they could leave on the side of cliff for example

Also don't knock off troglodyte people, look at Petra, it's pretty awesome.

I had a PC forcibly turned into a Monstergirl once. It didn't turn out well.

I think it is possible to play one without being a furry though. Easier to avoid if it's a monstergirl that's not an animal though.

We're currently running a game of nothing but monsters.
Basically, each player is a mystical creature working for a govermental organization that is about halfway between Hellsing and MON. They fight supernatural crime.
The group consists of the following:
- Markus Lutz, a werewolf
- Saiko-no-Tsumugi, a kitsune shrine maiden
- Raphaela, a scorpion-type arachne
- Aine, a fire elemental
- Mr. John Denver, a lich
So far it's been a very relaxed campaign, despite being kinda fetish-y at times. The kitsune and the werewolf have this sort aggressive love-hate-relationship going on, but so far nothing has come of it.
We used Shadowrun, since that is the only system everybody is familiar with.