What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf
reddit.com/r/TheSecretWorld/comments/38cln0/how_many_people_are_there_playing_tsw/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Letting Ryan Dancey do anything, much less run EVE Online. Is Pathfinder Online even still a thing?

The Goths ruined everything.

Didn't this get the greenlight to go back into development?

not selling WoD to paradox earlier, seriously

The setting is dated as fuck and appeals to no one except goths stuck in 90s.

I seriously doubt Paradox would reboot an MMO without making a billion announcements about it. They're most likely going to bring back something more cost effective like a crowdfunded VTM:Bloodlines 2.

Explain

Everything is so fucking boring, the disciplines are boring, the clans are for the most part boring, tracking points isn't fun.

Explain what? Vampire the Masquerade is edgy 90's bullshit. Latex, katanas, grimderp appocalyptic metaplot with God-characters who kill you if you look at them wrong, and excessive christian imagery used simply to piss on and eat babies atop of.

>White Wolf having a chequered history with video games. There were Mage, Changeling, Werewolf games all in the making that all got canned. Only Vampire and Hunter got lucky.

>Just how hard it would be to translate some of the more flexible powers into a game. Lasombra shadow tendrils? +3 dps. No.

>I'm almost certain the suits were fighting tooth and claw behind closed doors. Did they want it to be more action/money mmo like Warcraft? Or more laid back and social like Second Life? Development dragged on so long it saw the heydays of both games.

>All those massive, massive promises they would never ever be able to deliver on.

End of the day, it was pie in the sky and like Duke Nukem forever, they decided to drag it out for as long as possible before admitting it was going nowhere. Fuck 'em.

Just hope that Onyx Path and Paradox are able to squeeze some of the names from White Wolf/CCP otherwise they'll just sit on the names forever.

I dont know, they might be holding it onto it to drop a bigger bomb later on, after all they are working on 2 big named rpgs atm. doing WoD would pull most of the attention to it

someone butthurt, was your vampire group mean to you? It's ok, you can tell us how the rejceted your blade rip off, we wont laught

They haven't announced any official videogame other than "there will be videogames".

Also I'm pretty sure when they said that rpgs are in the works they meant that they're making new editions of Vampire, Hunter, Werewolf, Mage, etc.

Haven't anounced? Dude, there is pillars 2 allredy anounced and tyrany. Plus people say that they are also working with torment 2 guys

Those aren't World of Darkness games...

This. Vampire larps are VERY embarrassing.

och sorry, misunderstood you, what i meat is that they might have something in the works, but want to keep it secret so it wont steal the hype from their other games

Played it once for a short campaign. Didn't like it. Never played it again.

nWoD/CofD is better anyway. Eat shit oWoDfags.

Depends how you play it, i spent a whole 4 hours playing a cheerfull, hyper capitalistic ventru from warsaw who sought only to have some nice chit-chat, make some deals and introduce himself to the prince. It rubed the edgy people the wrong way, but most people got into it quickly, the fact that i had YMCA as my phone ring and it went off when i was talking tot eh prince only helped

>nwod is beter
really really depends on what you are playing, both have good and bad sides

are you talking about the WoD MMO (which that picture is from), or WoD in general?

either way, i recommend reading this:

theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

>Most of the sources spoken to for this piece identified the same problematic CCP manager, who had little vision for what the finished game would look like.

>“Not once could he answer any question about moment-to-moment gameplay or areas of focus,” says one source. “Instead, he preferred to deliver buzzword-laden rambles… It was not uncommon for him to communicate in onomatopoeia.

>"I once saw him looking over the shoulder of a programmer at some bit of User Interface the poor guy had hacked together. He straightened up, put fingers to lips and said, ‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’ He hissed on his fucking fingertips, like the air coming out of a bicycle tire, and then just walked away.”

Pretty much, if Obsidian/Paradox wants to make a WoD game and sell, they'll have to do some major overhauls and tone down on the edgy 90's shit, otherwise its just going to become the laughing stock of the gaming community

To every person that thinks they can be "the idea guy" on videogame projects, this is what happens when you actually let an "idea guy" lead a project.

Lack of way to make money. The game doesn't fit in with fetch-it quests. They were spending millions to make an online chat program.

> make it more pssshhhhh

everytiem

>They were spending millions to make an online chat program

White Wolf or CCP?

CCP, though I think they kept the majority of White Wolf employees.
From what I understand, they basically built 1/3rd of a game, scrapped it, then repeated several times, but without any real... direction, I guess?

Also, the one constant idea that I heard was that progression was based on social standing, quite an interesting concept. Now, I like White Wolf's system, and I like my friends who are into WoD, but the idea of a game with the WoD community in a social mmo kind of puts me off.

Metaplot.

Needed more psssh

The game does not lend itself to MMO.

People play The Secret World and that shit is literally just a WoD rip off.

But that's good for games. Hell, WoW has a metaplot.

If you mean the MMO, CCP fucked it over.
If you mean OWoD, it tied itself too hard to 90's era world viewpoints.
If you mean NWoD, it tried too hard to bring over OWoD players by keeping concepts that were at odds with it's overall presentation.

Not keeping the brand alive with single player experiences and other mediums to later turn it up with a well structured e-LARP milieu, and not an MMO.

That's all moot now though. Paradox and Obsidian with Martin and Shane will atleast give "bloodlines" a new return and as the brand grows in peoples awareness again then maybe just maybe we'll get an e-LARP milieu.

But do that many people actually play the secret world?

Iunno, never played it. I can't even tell if it's Free to Play or not and the website doesn't even seem to have a download link or a price.
reddit.com/r/TheSecretWorld/comments/38cln0/how_many_people_are_there_playing_tsw/
This doesn't even give a concrete answer like WoW's "over one million players!"

Oh wait, I found a play now thing, but my browser's doing that thing where it doesn't show half the text so there are just random "t"s and "l"s floating around. Seems like there's a ten day free trial and then you buy it like Guild Wars. And I don't know how many people play that, either.

Do people really play any MMO, though? I hear WoW is getting flaccid in that department.

oWoD: Designers thought the metaplot mattered more than the gameable material, storyteller system was stupidly broken, pretense of being a 'narrativist' game (it isn't and never was) and in opposition to D&D attracted huge retards to the playerbase.
nWoD: shit fluff, absolutely retarded published stuff (no Vampire team a human cop isn't five times as powerful as a new vampire character and his dog shouldn't be more intelligent either), political bullshit and pandering (Beast was basically wholly ruined by it) and outright lying to the fanbase about releases like Chronicles.
MMORPG: It's an MMORPG.

horrible people do

>nWoD: shit fluff,
the fluff is great
>absolutely retarded published stuff (no Vampire team a human cop isn't five times as powerful as a new vampire character and his dog shouldn't be more intelligent either),
thats not a thing
>political bullshit and pandering (Beast was basically wholly ruined by it)
to be fair the idea behind beast was one of political bullshit, the developer is a sjw and has some misguided views on a lot of shit. it wasn't ruined by anything it was a flawed concept to begin with
>and outright lying to the fanbase about releases like Chronicles.
nah

>the fluff is great
It's so weak that even oWoD seem great in comparison.
>thats not a thing
It is. Try checking out their example characters sometime.
>the developer is a sjw
As are unfortunately a lot of the WW freelancers they allow to work on shit. It's really a case of the inmates (i.e. old edgy fans) running the asylum.
>nah
They were basically swearing for the longest time that Chronicles wasn't nWoD 2E in practice.

Please stop posting. You're literally causing me suffering because you're so stupid.

Unfortunately for you this isn't the Onyx Path forums and you being a mentally retarded freak of nature with pain receptors linked up to his neurons does not a bannable offense make.

>It's so weak that even oWoD seem great in comparison.
nah its much better than the owod stuff
>It is. Try checking out their example characters sometime.
i am, they aren't overpowered by cops and dog (both large and small) intelligence is 1
>They were basically swearing for the longest time that Chronicles wasn't nWoD 2E in practice.
and for the longest time it wasn't
then they were able to make 2e and got an extra edition out of it

Fortunately for you this is Veeky Forums so you can say whatever stupid shit you want even if it's dumber than a bag of hammers

>pain receptors linked up to his neurons
Well...

>and for the longest time it wasn't
Not quoted but horseshit. It was clear from day one that it was the new edition even when they said it wasn't.

They wanted to make a 2e, but legally, they could not.

it was originally just a rules update
all it did was offer conditions and aspirations and different vices/virtues

Not really. They were told by their corporate overlords that they weren't allowed to make a second edition. They did the best they could. Technically speaking, the GMC rules update and Chronicles of Darkness aren't true second editions to begin with. If they were, they'd fix some things like the Beat mechanic; Beats are a good mechanic, but "Yeah, all the XP is actually five times normal" isn't. If they were allowed to do what they wanted, they'd clearly break everything down into Beat costs instead of Experiences. That's a product of not being able to do a true 2e.

More than that, they were completely transparent about that from the start. They never said "oh no this isn't 2e at all!", they very explicitly said "this is basically the second edition of the game but we can't call it that".

It did a lot more than that, and it was intended to serve as the new rules set going forward. They even say as much on the submission guidelines. But it's flat out wrong to say "they flat out lied about it being 2e". It was originally the best they could get away with. Now it's official.

White Wolf never published another good thing without Mark Rein-Hagen.

Justin Achilles was the worst developer in the history of the company. I still hope a terrible death from eyelid cancer on him.

Go away, Camilla

It's a setting about vampires and werewolves. Of course it's going to attract goths. That's their target audience. Nothing wrong with that at all.

90s goth is actually pretty cool sempai.

Except 90s goth is too old to be modern and not old enough to be retro. MMOs can't afford to pander to a niche, which it will be until the 2025 remake of Blade.

Goths still exist, you know.

>MMOs can't afford to pander to a niche

I played a nosfetatu pimp. I even had a pimp cane I used. I was trying to get money for a specialty club where the VIP is for vamps, ghouls, and the mind enslaved (for the night of course) full course meals for the VIP-eat of VIPs. Basic premise is a hookah lounge in the front and a blood lounge in the back. I made so much cash of that shit, I even interested the guy who ended up Prince that I was in charge for entertainment projects for the city.

Being a pimp ain't easy but I made it work for me.

Goth is as much of a niche as heroic fantasy yet normies still play WoW and watch Lord of the Rings.

It's not like goths are the ONLY people interested in WW stuff. Just the primary target audience. Similar to how the target audience for WoW and D&D is fantasy nerds.

"Our world but the supernatural exists" is like the most popular type of television show at the moment next to "stupid people selling their shit for less than it's worth" and "crime procedurals".
Supernatural
Vampire Diaries + The Originals
Teen Wolf
Fucking X-Files is back
Shadowhunters
From Dusk Til Dawn
The Magicians
DC and Marvel shows

Goth isn't even the primary audience. I mean, for oWoD the primary aesthetic is goth, but it's far from the main target, and nWoD is barely goth at all.

Well from a normie perspective, anything with vampires, werewolves and ghosts is goth.

That is not even remotely true.

Television fads are different from video game fads. Right now sci-fi and 80s aesthetics are what's hot.

I'm not saying no one will buy a 90s goth MMO, I'm saying 90s goth isn't "in" right now, and it doesn't surprise me at all that no one wants to try and gamble millions of dollars on something there isn't already groundswell for. We're talking about a market that's been trying to make WoW again for ten years.

>aughts kiddies shitting on the objectively superior oWoD

People are buying it, regardless of the medium. That means people will be willing to buy it.

And they already did gamble millions of dollars. They failed before even getting to the starting line because they didn't know what they were doing.

Sounds like warhammer but better.

I can hear the rollin in my mind

>CCP, though I think they kept the majority of White Wolf employees.

This is true actually.

They basically brain drained WW and left them with the B-team people.

>Do people really play any MMO, though? I hear WoW is getting flaccid in that department.

From what I hear, MOBA's are quickly overtaking them.

That's because they require less commitment. Mobile social games also are taking some of the marketshare. Honestly, Freemium is probably the best way to run an MMO and still be able to say you made an MMO.

Very few people do F2P right.

Good, let the videogame market crash let it all burn

I didn't say anyone does. But it does seem the best model for making a game last for like six to ten years with moderate updates. Or I guess a Patreon? That might be interesting. The pay-what-you-want MMO?

>Multibillion dollar industry
It's larger than ever and more diverse.