EDH/Commander general

Cool Golgari Party guys edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-sydri-galvanic-genius
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-sydri-artifacts-edh-1/
deckstats.net/deck-10221144-0e433419cfead404510159299d861564.html
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hopeville-2077/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ob-nigz/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wanna get a Khamal edited to look like Mike Ditka for my Bear Tribal EDH deck. Anyone know a place to get some good edits?

>Cool Golgari Party guys edition
That's me! Golgari is my shit.

Why do people play this? Thanks for speeding me up and making that assfaggot even more of a threat.

Is Mazirek insect tribal guy around? I'm curious as to how your build turned out.

Just play Omen Machine or Spirit of the Labyrinth and shut him out

E Z P Z

Is it a bad idea to replace a land slot with Sol Ring? It's a mono color deck if that changes anything.

This is probably bait but I'll bite

No, Sol Ring is always a good idea, puts you ahead on mana every time it drops

I count any nonland mana source as 1/2 of a land. This rule has not led me wrong thus far.

I'm not asking if Sol Ring is good, I'm asking if it's a good idea to replace a land slot in the deck with one.

Rule of thumb is that two rocks can replace a land.

Sol Ring is better than your average rock, so just use it as an evaluation rule.

I wanted to build him as an alternate winconn in casual metas. Could be neat if people don't really have threatening decks and if you constantly make them dump their hand with a Jin or a Sire of Insanity. Windfall and that dimir version with cipher could also be fun.

I was very close to trading for this fucker and giving it another go. he's very appealing to me yet I don't know what to build, I guess you voltron him?

Why has no one told me this? I always felt kind of blind balancing rocks to lands. How do you balance rocks to lands to average cmc and color ratios? Is there some formula I can use?

Idk, if I was going to do a Voltron style BG deck, Varolz looks more fun, but then, I don't really play Voltron.

One of the guys in my group plays Nekusar. He is typically the lowest threat since his deck isn't particularly lethal. He can ping us for damage, but he doesn't have anything that will actually let him defeat any opponent. I suggested more wheel effects, but that suggestion hasn't been taken seriously yet.

---

After building a jank Omnath, Locus of Rage deck I really want to make a land-based EDH deck. I'm planning on making the deck interchangeable with Borborygmos Enraged; Omnath, Locus of Rage; and Mina and Denn, Wildborn I'm trying to build it on a budget, so it won't end up being as super-lethal as it probably needs to be in my meta, but it'll appease my inner Timmy and Johnny.

do it, it's not such a big deal in mono colored decks, unless your land count is already low, I don't play one in my mono g decks because ezuri, and Omnath both og version. in all other decks it depends more on the other 99 for sure.

Not that I'm aware of. I tend to start with 40 lands as default and normally adjust down as I develop the deck, normally somewhere between 38-35. As for color ratios I use Tappedout.net to get a visual and work from there.

I see 'two rocks:one land' kicked around Veeky Forums a lot, I'm not use where it comes from.

I always count mana symbols and use the ratio to balance land colors.
I've recently been counting double of a color as three, however, since that hasn't been working quite as well as I've hoped.

That Which Was Taken and Proliferate stuff might be a good fit for him

I just built Omnath and I was so pleasantly surprised of how it turned out its quickly beciming one of my favorites, pretty budget friendly as well I wish I had a list.
all I can say is that crop rotation is a top star of the deck. Alternatively I mill for a win with altar if dementia.

Why is this allowed?

Lately I've been looking at tappedout's colour wheel, and I've tried to balance the symbols accordingly. It seems to work pretty well, but it still feels kind of sub-optimal. Maybe one day some nice user will develop a formula and create a handy calculator app.

Why is this allowed?

I didn't get any feedback in the last thread, so I figured I'd post again here.

I'm trying to make a sydri esper artifact deck, any constructive criticism or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm trying to keep the price around $200.

Put lots of artifacts in it

You forgot your tappedout user. Otherwise, just run lots of jank for zero cost, like that indestructible zero cost artifact.

You can find some inspiration here, user.
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-sydri-galvanic-genius

I recommend artifacts

this card

Truly the greatest mystery surrounding this format.

Caltrops.

Turn that fucker into a artifact creature and give deathtouch and life link

Who else is excited for the 4 color pre-cons coming out? Any speculation about what would make a good 4 color commander?

I want the WBRG one to have a commander that says "Opponents can't cast blue spells or use activated abilities of blue permanents. At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices all blue permanents he or she controls.
T: Destroy all islands."

Would that be balanced?

I'm a dumbass, I forgot my tappedout

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-sydri-artifacts-edh-1/

I'd play it

That would be awesome. I'm just hoping for the WGBR to have some +1/+1 counter hydra-related shenanigans. Something like:

"Remove a +1/+1 counter from a permenant you control: deal 1 damage to target creature or player."

I have no idea. The last deck I wanted to make that was four color was everything but U and was based on lifegain.

I'm not particularly excited. I don't like 5-colour decks to begin with in any format.

I'll assume you mistyped 5. At the minimum, there should be lots of new lands and 2-3 color reprints. They'd have to throw really good stuff in to convince people that the fourth color is worth it.

I did not.

4 colour might as well be 5.

>They'd have to throw really good stuff in to convince people that the fourth color is worth it.
This is what I'm hoping for, but I'm also afraid of it. 4 colours offers a lot of diversity, but why not just play five, right? So they're going to throw in some 4cmc bombs capable of changing a game, and at least 3 commanders per colour, which will be neat, but inevitably there will be something like "Exile all creatures. Put a 6/6 lifelink death touch wurm token onto the battlefield with "Sacrifice this creature to counter target spell."

I run 38 lands and 12 rocks, ie 46 'lands' as a rule in most decks

So why the fuck am I mana screwed every second game?

not enough cantrips and turn 1 and 2 plays that get you more lands?

i run 35 lands in all my decks, regardless of the number of mana rocks and ramp

that said i run lots of ramp in all my decks

i get mana screwed sometimes too but i dont worry about it, it evens out with the mana flooding

feels unnecessarily limiting. just play 5. the mana base is going to be so wonky either way. now I have to build these too if I want one of each combination. I really hope they all have chromatic lanterns.

Guys why does my Meren deck suck ass?

deckstats.net/deck-10221144-0e433419cfead404510159299d861564.html

That may be the most retarded thing I've heard this month.

idk looks fine to me

what goes wrong in game?

Hopefully they'll forgo the Sol Rings that have been in every set for something like chromatic lanterns and coalition relics

Random user here. What your quoting is a pretty common opinion. At 4 colour all meaningful colour identity stuff seems to break down, and its hard to come up with meaningful gaps in the capabilities of the deck. It might as well be 5 colour in that case

Well, given that it's only about 5 hours into June in Australia, I'm hardly surprised.

this opinion is a trap

everybody who has it is just a crotchety fuck who is actively decreasing their own happiness

but thats fine with me, those people deserve to be unhappy, and they would find a way no matter what the commander product was

Quite a few crotchety unhappy fucks playing magic then I guess.

quite a few crotchety unhappy fucks on Veeky Forums you mean

What are some fun creatures to throw with Stoutarm? I already have the obvious ones

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hopeville-2077/

Man I hope my cards get here before the weekend

Always fun to give this guy -1/-1 counters or bribe counters or whatever.

>deckstats.net/deck-10221144-0e433419cfead404510159299d861564.html
It doesn't. You might suck ass, but it looks pretty good to me.

No, because Sol Ring is a good idea. A typical land isn't.

That's Lands + (Rocks/2), so you're at 44.

What's your average mana cost, what's your mana symbol density, what number of colors are you working with?

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hopeville-2077/
Thunderblust? 7/2 haste with persist and gains trample with a -1/-1 counter isn't bad.

Flamerush Rider could be neat too. Get a token of something good, duplicates etb effects, then sac it with Stoutarm. Sounds win/win to me.

Why the fuck is gitrog so fun to play?
I don't even have to win, I still have loads o fun.

Yosei is pretty damn good. You seem to run really small amount of creatures compared to most Stoutarm builds.

Wouldn't -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters just negate each other

Monoblack Landfall, demon tribal sub theme

Updated a bit (namely with some improved card draw)

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ob-nigz/

>mfw I just swapped out my Boros Signet for a Hellkite Tyrant

But why

How long does SCG usually take to process orders with first class shipping? I ordered a bunch of stuff around 1130 last night and haven't heard anything since then

>nigger playing Maelstrom Wanderer
>turn 1 mana crypt, sol ring, izzet signet, coldsteel heart
>pass :^)
SHELDOOON

Yes but if he is killed with -1/-1 counters he can never come back because they'll always be there

Right, unless you tuck him or pull him to your hand

Easy enough to tutor him back out in GB anyway

Already had a gilded lotus, darksteel ingot, and sol ring so I wanted a fatty

I WISH SHELDON DIDN'T RUN THE EDH BANNED LIST

>blinking Gilded Drake AND Reflector Mage with Deadeye Navigator
God damn this card is wide-open busted, I can see why people hate it

You rang?

>Blinking Venser, Shaper Savant with Deadeye Nagigator

SCUTTLING DOOM ENGINE

Can't forget ignition team bra

ooo that's a spicy tech right there.

So I just picked up one of these motherfuckers, what are some fun cards to run with it.

I don't know R or W very well, but I'm working on it. I was planning on making a R artifacts deck with W/G support filled with plea for guidance, rancor, herald of the pantheon and all that other goodstuff. Any neat combos with him that I should be aware of?

I play him and I love it.
It's the most fun deck I built so far (maybe on par with braids) and actually pretty strong though it isn't optimal yet.
II run a few wombo combos that let me win instantly but I avoid using them as long as I can win otherwise.
I can only encourage everyone who is looking for fun rather than the most competetive general to build him.

i'd be able to help you if you didn't have a thumbnail

Sorry user, stupid google images.

I used to run an uril deck, 1v1 it was horrific to play against, it would go over the top so fast that most decks didn't stand a chance to even set up a blocker

group settings were hell though, you'd set up the perfect 21 commander damage uril that could shotgun anyone you want, but since you only have one or two dorks to defend with, he just becomes a liability since once you swing at someone for the guarenteed kill everyone will gun it for you because they'll be so afraid of losing

honestly if you want a voltron commander go with Atarka, World Rederer

she does pretty much the same thing sans the hexproof and you can always just swarm the board with dragons if needbe

With Uril, you want to run a ton of auras

important ones are shield of the oversoul, bear umbra, and runes of the deus

in all honesty, uril wants to play RGW enchantress but instead of making your boardstate difficult for others you just voltron uril until you're just oneshotting everything

whispersilk cloak would also be pretty good so you can't be blocked but shroud makes it a little more difficult

See I was actually making Uril for 1v1 with a particular gentleman. Have you seen any succesful variant? I'm almost tempted to build a xenagos deck, slap some nifty white auras in it, and tutor xenagos before swinging with Uril.

Thanks for the suggestions! Those auras look awesome. What kind of build should you put around him? Something focusing on spot removal and wraths?

oh for 1v1 it's super easy

just slap alpha authority and madcap skills on him, then an ethereal armor/battle mastery and go sideways

That does sound pretty easy, particularly since I've been fucking around with a complicated ass mimeoplasm deck for almost 2 months now. I was thinking about making interchangeable fatties for when Uril inevitably gets wrathed or returned to my hand.

Question: My friend's best deck is either a trostani populate or a white anafenza weenies warrior tribal. What could I throw in there to make him cry when he inevitably tries to set up a control scheme with 10,000 trump blockers?

Deadly Tempest, Toxic Deluge, Cyclonic Rift, stop letting your weenie players get loose.

I had to tell my friend to use mind over matter and temple bell.
No response yet.
Never won a game

uril shouldnt ever be stopped by chump blockers, you should have spirit mantle and similar effects, or at least flying, and you should have trample

>deadly tempest
That's spicy, I'll pick up one of those real soon.

>toxic deluge
Extra spicy, is that getting a EM reprint?

I usually run cyclonic rift, but Uril can't.

Fair enough, I've never played Uril, I was just wondering if there was anything I should be aware of. It looks to me that I'm just going to be out-valueing him, there's no way he'll do 40 damage by the time I do 21 in 2 turns.

uril's weakness isnt chump blockers its fog

>chump
Is it chump or trump? I thought it was trump, as in the Bauer is the trump card in euchre, meaning that despite all my fancy creature shenanigans, it's trumped by a little blocker and fizzles.

a chump blocker is just a creature that is expected to die as a blocker for no other gain than to prevent the damage

this is opposed to blocking a young pyromancer with a 1/1, for instance, where you get to prevent 2 damage and trade with the pyromancer, or blocking with a deathtouch creature

the opposite of a chump block is a trade

never heard the term "trump block" in my life

Fair enough, I understood the other context and I get the principle, as well as shadow blocking and whatnot, I just thought it was the other way for some reason.

>shadow blocking

never heard of that in my life either

You realise you need to riffle 11 times for true randomization in a 99 card deck?

Or pile shuffle 12-15 times.

I can garuntee you're just a lazy shuffler.

If the nephilim are any indication, 4 colour basically just means:

Some fucking weirdass ability that doesn't trod on the toes of the missing colour. I think the missing colour in each of the 4 colour combinations is the defining factor.

>Or pile shuffle 12-15 times
Pile shuffling doesn't actually increase randomness.