Super Substitute Shinigami Quest #1

Your day was going pretty normally until a man wearing black robes charged at you with a katana. You're pretty sure he stabbed you, as your chest really hurt before you fainted. But you're awake now and feel just fine, while he's unconscious and lying on top of you. ...No, he's actually dead. Well, at least you aren't dead. That's at least something halfway decent out of this bizarre situation.

Or so you thought.

But in actuality, you've also died.

And your ghost is dressed in the black robes of your assailant.

So this is how you were meant to go, huh? You pick up the nodachi lying on the ground and do what any newly dead person would do - get up on a rooftop. You're already dead, so the height doesn't seem threatening at all.

From your new vantage point you can see a large chunk of the small, unfamiliar town you've wandered into, the dark of night warded off by pale street lights. This was supposed to be your first time coming to Tempura Town, but... wait, that's not the right name. ...Kerakera? It seems closer to the truth, but that can't be right, either.

But anyway, from this height, the humble night town looks nice and peaceful, with not a single person in sight.

But it's directly underneath you that a scene that's neither nice nor peaceful is currently unfolding.

A blonde office lady is under attack by a massive green monster wearing a white mask.

You should help her. You've got a sword, after all. This situation seems kind of risky, so you should pick your approach with care.

>The Stealth Approach: Quietly sneak up on it and cut it as hard as you can.
>The Charisma Approach: Announce your presence. You'll figure something out after getting its attention away from the office lady.
>The Full Power Approach: Drop down on it from above. Use the momentum of your fall from this six story building for a massive bonus to attack.

>>The Full Power Approach: Drop down on it from above. Use the momentum of your fall from this six story building for a massive bonus to attack.
Aim for the head

>The Full Power Approach: Drop down on it from above. Use the momentum of your fall from this six story building for a massive bonus to attack.

Aw man you're rebooting everything? That's not what I wanted at all! I'm really sad now.

>rebooting
That's for someone with regrets! And I have none!!!

>>The Full Power Approach: Drop down on it from above. Use the momentum of your fall from this six story building for a massive bonus to attack.
DYNAMIC!
ENTRRRYYYY!

lol

no

It's a sub again, huh!

But I do, I wanted to help Ryouta more, I wanted to see Shiori and Miyu, Hikari, Hanae, Ryuu, and Moeka again. I wanted to solve the mystery and help Ryouta become happy, but now I'm never going to so any of that because I helped make it so you weren't enjoying yourself anymore. This is legitimately devastating.

Voting over, writing!

We'll get back to it!

There is no time. An innocent civilian is in danger. It is your duty to stop this monster at all costs!

You charge, leaping over the edge, bravely brandishing your awfully long sword. Its steel shines in the moonlight just before gravity takes control over your momentum, dragging you down at insane speeds.

You twirl your body, spinning like a deadly windmill through the air. Your timing is perfect: the third or fourth spin leftwards brings your sword down into something hard, something fleshy, onto something of bone, something that cracks, shatters and breaks underneath the sharp edge of the nodachi in your hands.

Your landing, too, is impeccable - even though the entire momentum of the landing painfully reverberates throughout your body, you land cleanly on both feet. You come face to face with the monster's fish-like mask. You observe it split into two crudely cut halves, the yellow eyes separating.

And just like that, the Bad Spirit glows with heavenly light, its essence purified and sent on to Heaven by the might of your blade.

You turn to the office lady, who observes in shocked silence. The backlash of your powerful attack catches up before you can say something cool and reassuring, and you fall. The blonde's expression regains a semblance of composure.

Now, with the danger left behind, you manage to take a good look at the person you've rescued.

And this person... is certainly something.

(1/2)

Great success.

Before you can pick apart any of her individual features, they all meld together into a pleasant image. The golden locks of hair fluttering in the moonlight, the blue eyes that are as pure as a pair of sapphires, her round and flawless face, and those outstanding curves beneath her clothing...

"Are you... my Servant?"

There can be no mistake about it, but you still decide to ask. Which Class could she be? On your way down, you swear you caught a glimpse of something like a sword, so... Archer?

For just a moment, she looks like she wants to ask something, perhaps that fateful question that's meant to begin it all, but the hesitation is swapped with concern, and the proper question remains unasked.

"Are you hurt?" She asks instead.

"No." You reply. But as you try to stand up, you find that it's hard to. "I am."

She shakes her head and approaches, taking your hand and helping you up. "Here, lean on me." As you stand and entrust yourself to the beautiful stranger, you find your conscience quickly slipping away.

You awake at someone's house, no longer wearing the black robes of that suspicious samurai that assaulted you, but what you've been wearing before you died - a tracksuit and sports bloomers. From what you can tell, you're in someone's house. You're about to get on high alert, because clearly you've been kidnapped! But then you see that blonde lady again.

Her attire still hasn't changed from her business suit. You've been laid out on a bed, while the woman sits in a chair nearby. "You're not carrying any ID on you, so what's your name?" She asks.

This is... someone's room? Maybe hers?

Anyway, she's expecting an answer. This... is your chance! You spring up, enduring the slight ache in your chest, and strike a pose.

"I am..." You start out, gaining momentum. "I am the justicar of the night! The moonlit swordsman, the... knight in black! My name is-...!"

>"Kamen Rider DEATH!"
>"Sasaki Kojiro!"
>"Miyamoto Musashi!"
>"Kanemoto Hisako."

>>"Miyamoto Musashi!"

>"Kamen Rider DEATH!"
We aren't wearing a mask
>"Sasaki Kojiro!"
Right weapon, but he got killed with a boat oar
>"Miyamoto Musashi!"
Kind of a cliche
>"Kanemoto Hisako."
A voice actress?

>"Kamen Rider DEATH!"
Kamen Rider QUEST PLEASE

>"Sasaki Kojiro!"

>"Kanemoto Hisako."
A likely story!

>"Sasaki Kojiro!"
Well this got weird.

Voting over, writing!

This thread is shit. Go to /quest/ you fucking faggot.

>He doesn't know
Ah, to be young and stupid again.

Seriously, this is in no way related to Veeky Forums and is more appropriate on /a/ as that board is more familiar with anime shit.

Don't engage dude.

"My name is... Sasaki Kojiro! After 400 years, I have finally reawakened from my slumber inside my mortal vessel!"

"Are you... serious?" She asks, quite obviously baffled. It is a natural reaction. Many people struggle to accept this reality after hearing of my true origins.

I nod fervently, kneeling down on the bed. "That's right. My awakening occurred at an opportune time, and I managed to rescue you through the use of my Aerial Tsubame Gaeshi."

Her confusion persists, and she doesn't have an answer. I take reins of the conversation. "Now it's your turn, woman! I need your name, and an explanation of what just happened! My awakening was no mere dream, was it?!"

"Just call me... Clarissa." She hesitantly says.

"A code name? Are you a secret agent? Who do you work for? Is it Shocker?! In that case...!" I raise menacingly.

"Are you... Are you just joking around right now? Did you get brain damage or did I heal you wrong? Listen, you've just entered a crazy world, so don't go making things more complicated than they already are!" She pauses, her confusion gradually fading. "Seriously, give me your name. Are you from around here? Why are you wearing bloomers?"

>"I cannot uncover my human identity so easily. First of all, tell me, where is my eternal rival? Have the Bad Spirits gotten to him before my blade has? My mind is in disarray! Explain to me what's going on! I'll divulge this information in exchange for your explanations!"
>"Actually, when I fought my eternal rival, Miyamoto Musashi, our battle was so fierce that our souls shattered into pieces and mingled together as they reformed. Therefore, my true name is Miyamoto Sasaki Kojiro. Your instincts are quite sharp to have felt that inconsistency... not bad, for a human being..."
>"My human vessel is known as Kanemoto Hisako. I am not from around here, but from Tokyo."
>Other. (Write-in).

Why isn't this in /qst/?

Trial board =/= Forced participation.

See, I had no idea Kanemoto Hisako was meant to be her real name, I thought it was another delusion, this one just thematically off. I'd have voted for that had I known. Also yay Clarissa!

>"My human vessel is known as Kanemoto Hisako. I am not from around here, but from Tokyo."
How chuu

>My human vessel is known as Kanemoto Hisako

What's the point of even having it if it isn't going to be used?

I don't know. Ask the mod that created it against the wishes of those that actually play/create/run quests.

>"Actually, when I fought my eternal rival, Miyamoto Musashi, our battle was so fierce that our souls shattered into pieces and mingled together as they reformed. Therefore, my true name is Miyamoto Sasaki Kojiro. Your instincts are quite sharp to have felt that inconsistency... not bad, for a human being..."
Hurrah, return of best girl even if she fucks up a lot. I don't remember her being so stylish though! Well, not in the suit kind of way at least.

Voting over, writing!

I am amused by the idea that, this being 'super' substitute shinigami quest, our rather ridiculous protagonist will make a better temporary shinigami than Clarissa did.

"My human vessel is known as... Kanemoto Hisako. Is that what you wanted to know?"

The woman nods. "Yeah. That's probably it."

"I'm in my second year of Junior High. I live in Tokyo."

"So... eight grade, huh? I guess that explains it..." She mutters something I can't understand, holding back a smirk. Somehow, it's making me a bit angry. "But anyway... I live in Tokyo too."

"Really? Then why are you here?"

"I'm paying my respects. But what about you? Why are you here?"

"I've learned that I can acquire a rare belt in one of the shops in this town." Perhaps divulging this much information is unsafe, but... I suppose I have no choice. No, I may have fallen to her charms. She looks trustworthy. Her Charisma must be at least B Rank.

"Belt?" Once again, she's mystified by the nature of my objectives.

"Don't worry about it. If you're a decent person, you have nothing to fear."

She tilts her head, briefly giving me a sour look. She then takes something from the top of the desk nearby and hands it to me. It's a mobile phone, its screen cracked. It doesn't turn on. "Are your parents home? Your cellphone broke, so I couldn't call anyone."

"My sister is at home. I don't have parents, so she takes care of me."

"Well, that works. Are you feeling alright? I've got a car, so I could drive you back home. If you're not feeling well... I've got a few spare rooms. I guess it's alright if you spend the night here, just call your sister and tell her you're fine."

"Wait. What about the Bad Spirit?" I ask the most important question of the current circumstances. Clarissa makes an expression that's difficult to gauge.

(1/2)

>paying my respects
Hmmm, interesting...

"That's not something you need to worry about. I healed your body, so you can just go back home and live a normal life. There's no need for you to delve any deeper into this mess. In fact, getting involved could put you in danger."

What is she talking about? She's refusing to explain anything... for my safety?

"So, how do you feel? Do you want to head out now, or do you want to rest til morning? It's Sunday tomorrow, so there's no school to worry about."

Just what kind of secrets could she be hiding? Is she underestimating my passion for justice? Does she think I can't handle the responsibility?!

>This insult to my resolve cannot stand. "I refuse to budge from this spot until you explain everything to me!"
>Maybe I could get more out of her by spending more time with her. "I do feel kind of tired. But I'd still like to hear more."
>Maybe it's best not to get involved in this, after all. "I'd like to head home."
>Other. (Write-in).

>>This insult to my resolve cannot stand. "I refuse to budge from this spot until you explain everything to me!"
Petulant kiddie modo a-go go

>This insult to my resolve cannot stand. "I refuse to budge from this spot until you explain everything to me!"
As if someone this chuuni would let that go!

>Maybe I could get more out of her by spending more time with her

>Maybe I could get more out of her by spending more time with her. "I do feel kind of tired. But I'd still like to hear more."
Sorry Clarissa, now that we're not controlling you, it seems you're prime bully material.

Voting over, writing!

How'd the exams go, Mushroom?

"I refuse to budge from this spot until you explain everything to me!" I declare, cross my arms and assume a firm sitting posture.

"What?" She asks, her mouth curving into a scowl, an eyebrow twitching in surprise. "Are you stupid? Get off my bed."

"I refuse." As the blonde woman approaches, my fingers dig into the blanket and the sheet, securing my position. Just as expected, that made her hesitate. It seems that, in the end, my resolve has-

"Get off!"

"Gaaah! Nooo! I refuse, refuse, refuse!" Her manicured fingers suddenly dug into my tracksuit and began pulling me away. What a vicious sneak attack! The blanket and the bedsheet both slid along behind me, like a trail of my last stand. I grit my teeth, putting all of my strength into holding myself in place!

"Fine." She eventually lets go. That struggle was draining in both the physical and mental sense, but it seems that I've prevailed. "I'll go make some tea."

"Wait! Will you tell me anything?"

"Of course not. What kinda adult would I be if I gave in to you after that?"

"You won't get away with this! Here I come! This is the strength of my resolve!" I stand up, taking up a stance. I leap from the bed. "Rider Kiii-yaaa!"

That blonde demon dove under the legendary jumping kick, pushed up my leg and made me flip back onto the bed. I land on my neck. Even though the bed is soft, it still hurts a lot, but at least I'm alive.

"There's a phone over there. Call your sister." Those were her last words before she left the room.

(1/2)

After recovering from my defeat, I inspect her room and find something strange beside the phone.

What is this? A newly developed attachment for the belt?

No, it looks like some kind of... candy dispenser...?

Oh, when I press on the bunny, candy does come out! But there's just one. It doesn't really look tasty or anything.

>Take this thing and sneak after Clarissa.
>Hide this thing on my person for the time being.
>Ask Clarissa about this thing when she comes back.
>Eat the candy.

>Eat the candy.
It's gotta be delicious.

>Eat the candy.

>Eat the candy.

Voting over, writing!

This girl is really reckless, huh...

I put the candy in my mouth and begin to chew. Somehow, this thing is impossibly hard. There's no taste to it either. Was I tricked into eating a colored rock again?

Suddenly, I breathe in the wrong way and gasp. That weird candy gets sucked into my throat. It's a critical hit. I can't get it out. I've been facing death a lot lately, but this has to be the scariest encounter yet. It's not like I'm afraid of death. Being a ghost isn't really all that scary... But this is just embarrassing! I can't die like this! It's so clumsy and not how a hero should go out at all!

I eventually give up trying to spit it out and swallow it. It goes down pretty smoothly. I hope it's not some weird medicine or illegal drugs that woman is smuggling in a candy dispenser.

Everything seemed just fine at first. But then, something unexpected happens. How should I describe this? It's as though all of a sudden, my own body has decided to forcefully eject me out of itself.

Once again, I have regained my true form, that of Sasaki Kojiro, the ultimate swordsman. I have regained my Monohoshizao, too!

"I see. So it wasn't just an attachment to a belt... It was the belt itself! I have transformed!" I narrate it so that the audience can understand and then pause. No, I can't take it anymore. I lose all composure as I grasp the weapon sheathed on my back. "This is so friggin' cool!" I hiss to myself in excitement, drawing the blade and swinging it around. It feels just right, its length isn't burdensome at all.

When I knock something over, I decide to stop for a minute. That's when I realize that my own body is still present. Even more than that, it's moving!

(1/2)

"Why did you chew on me, master?! (pyon)" My body double exclaims in my own voice. But this isn't how I talk at all! "What did I do wrong? Wait, you're not my master! (pyon)"

I shut my clone's mouth with a palm. She's being too loud. It might attract the attention of that wildcard agent downstairs.

"Bwt mw gw! (pyon)" Hisako Alter spits into my palm, which makes me only push harder. Suddenly, my palm goes right through her head and something falls off on the other side!

The body drops limp. I thought I pushed her brains out, but it's actually just that candy again!

So it really is a portable transformer! With this, I don't even need to listen to that woman's story! I just need to take this thing and I can do everything by myself. I just need to fight Bad Spirits and keep people safe. Who needs her, anyway?

"Hey, open the door." Speak of the devil. Clarissa's voice emerges from behind the door. "I've got my hands full."

This is my chance! W-what should I do?

>Wait, how do I even return to normal? This is kind of serious, so maybe I shouldn't mess around and just wait for her help.
>Hide the candy dispenser on me. Try to get back into my body before she enters.
>Challenge her to a battle for the truth. No matter how skilled she may be, she can't possibly handle me in this form!
>Other. (Write-in).

>Challenge her to a battle for the truth. No matter how skilled she may be, she can't possibly handle me in this form!

>Wait, how do I even return to normal? This is kind of serious, so maybe I shouldn't mess around and just wait for her help.
Have some sense, girl!

Voting over, writing!

Clarissa's gonna beat us up, huh.

If you have to ask the question

Maybe she'll have mercy, user!

We're far too chuuni to accept something so insulting as mercy

Huh, judging by the writing, I think we missed out on the chuuniest option which would just be to abandon our mortal vessel and leap out a window to fight crime

I get up on the bed, for to have stepped off would mean that I went back on my word, and take up a ferocious stance as I await my foe.

After a slight delay filled with muffled grumbling, the door slowly opens and the blonde woman enters, carrying a tray of tea and snacks. Her eyes widen as she observes the state of her room. The walls are cut, some things knocked over, other things broken. It's not really a surprise, as the Monohoshizao is a very long sword, so this kind of damage couldn't have been avoided. I tried to minimize it, and I think I fared rather well, all things considered.

"Come at me!" I proclaim. Clarissa walks towards her desk and sets the tray down. "For the truth of this world, I shall fight you to the bitter end!"

"Open the window." She says.

...Huh? What a strange request. I turn around and do so. A cool breeze drifts into the room. In the next moment, I feel something collide with my ribs, my center of mass sent soaring through the air.

I was painfully pushed out - no, kicked out - into the night without any warning. As a result, I collide with the ground quite clumsily, right with my face. I roll as soon as I regain my senses and look up. Standing in the windowsill of the second floor is mysterious woman.

(1/2)

Oh boy!

"You're the kind of person who can't sit still until they have their way or break something, are you? I don't really have the patience to keep repeating things to someone who doesn't get it." In her hand is another sword. Her feet, clad in white socks, take off, and she gracefully lands on the asphalt. "So let's have it your way. I'm gonna show you what you're dealing with and let you decide for yourself whether you want to keep it up."

There is something heavy lingering in the air. I've never felt this sensation before. It's like something is trying to weigh me down. What is going on? Is Clarissa causing this? Or is it some kind of a trick of the weather?

But anyway, this is a real sword I have in my hands, so is she serious about this? She might die if you attack her.

>"Just who in the world are you?"
>Human items can't interact with spirits; that much I know for sure. Even if that sword is real, it can't hurt me. Charge right in and beat her up with my fists!
>Take your time. See what she does first.
>Other. (Write-in).

Even a chuu can fight smart

Time to get serious

>Human items can't interact with spirits; that much I know for sure. Even if that sword is real, it can't hurt me. Charge right in and beat her up with my fists!

Something to the tune we don't want to stain our blade with the blood of the innocent, and then run away into the night!

Voting over, writing!

Well, if she's threatening us she can't be very innocent, user. Maybe she's a servant of the dark lord!

"Just who in the world are you?" I ask.

"We're the same, you and I." She says that cliched line as she approaches, sword in hand. "When that man stabbed you, you became a Substitute Shinigami."

"A Shinigami?" I repeat the term she's used.

"No. A Substitute Shinigami. There's a huge difference. They're like the pariahs of the Shinigami. Treated about as well. If a Shinigami sees one of those guys, what do you think happens?" Clarissa suddenly dashes at me with ludicrous speed, her blade blurring towards me. I raise my Monohoshizao and parry the blow, if only barely. I'm surprised that I've managed to keep up with her speed. It's clearly inhuman.

She's awfully strong, too. I briefly lose my footing from bearing the blunt of the blow. I swing at the blonde to deter her advance. It works; she falls back and I regain my stance.

"This can't be your first time holding a sword. I thought I'd hit for sure." She says, flicking some of her hair. But she's not wrong.

"I am Sasaki Kojiro, Japan's greatest swordsman. Of course it's not my first time!" I exclaim.

...But she's not wrong. She would have hit if I didn't do something about it. She would have cut into me if I didn't parry it.

She's actually completely serious.

"You're catching on, aren't you? I don't even need to spell it out for you, do I?" Clarissa asks, once again stepping forward.

This is... what the Shinigami do to Substitutes...?

The air grows heavier.

>Battle Knowledge: Low

>Take the initiative and strike her. If she wasn't prepared to get hurt, she shouldn't have come with the intent to kill!
>Keep on the defensive until I have a decent attack plan. I shouldn't gamble here.
>Run away.
>Surrender. "I get it, you can stop!"
>Other. (Write-in).

>Someone can't take a joke, so things have taken a turn for the serious.
>This time around, you can't rely on a massive bonus to boost your attack to a point where it's guaranteed to strike and kill.
>This is a real battle. If you don't take it seriously, you will get hurt and maybe even die.
>Hisako-chan may be skilled, but she isn't at a level where she can accurately determine her own fighting strength, let alone her opponent's, so the precise values of attributes will remain hidden until she gains experience and learns to see them.
>After deciding on an action and after the voting period has ended, you might need to roll a set of dice to see if it succeeds.
>Not all actions require rolls. If an action needs a roll, that means it's unreliable and can fail. Try to pick actions which cannot fail, or which have the lowest chances of failing.

>Hisako-chan can't determine her precise attributes, but she still has a rough understanding of her own fighting power. So, a few hints before you continue.
>Hisako-chan is strong but kind of clumsy. She's the hard-hitter type. Her attacks don't hit all that often, but when they do, they hurt.
>Hisako-chan is very tough. It's hard to take her down even with direct hits. When her skill with the sword isn't enough to parry an attack, she can afford to take the blow. The Shinigami form grants her additional resilience. Even mortal blows won't outright kill her.
>Hisako-chan has no special attacks to speak of yet, so her non-physical attributes are irrelevant.
>But there is something that unquestionably sets Hisako-chan apart from other people. A special ability that only she can wield. She calls it the Eye of the Mind (True).

>Take the initiative and strike her. If she wasn't prepared to get hurt, she shouldn't have come with the intent to kill!

inb4 we hurt ourselves hitting her

>Keep on the defensive until I have a decent attack plan. I shouldn't gamble here.
Ruh roh!

>The longer she spends in battle, the more she learns about her opponent. This is the case for everybody, so that's not the special part.
>Hisako-chan can track the precise value of that knowledge and use it for special actions that only she can do. The effectiveness of the actions scale with the Battle Knowledge value that she sees at all times.
>The Battle Knowledge value is also affected by the terrain. In fact, when she doesn't know anything about her opponent, the versatility and familiarity of the terrain serves as the default value.
>Hisako-chan can spend all of her actions on boosting the increase of her Battle Knowledge, but that puts her into a purely defensive position. Every round spent doing nothing but defending garners penalties to your defense, so watch out.
>The Eye of the Mind (True) can only be used twice per battle at Hisako-chan's level. That means she can perform two actions boosted by Battle Knowledge.
>Each action boosted that way reduces the Battle Knowledge value.

>Now, with that out of the way, let us continue.

My, this seems a little complicated!
Best pic of best girl.

Guess we can up our knowledge a bit then

Voting over! Roll 3d10!

8 and above counts as a single success!

Rolled 3, 7, 9 = 19 (3d10)

Huh, I'm guessing considering who we're up against, doing anything at all is a risk.

Rolled 8, 10, 3 = 21 (3d10)

Rolled 10, 6, 3 = 19 (3d10)

Alright...

Rolled 10, 8, 1 = 19 (3d10)

Guess we wanna see some action, especially since currently we are the center of attraction.

Rolling over! Rerolling the 10s for a bonus to Defense and writing!

The roll was for the effectiveness of The Eye of The Mind (True)! Defense is usually a static value opposed by the attacker.

Rolled 10, 3, 6 = 19 (3d10)

L-let me try that again...

Sasuga Mushroom!