Noblebright weeb thread

I need some Veeky Forums-approved fantasy anime (or any animated show), but most of what I come across is too edgy or contrived.

I just what something basic, where the heroes are heroes, the castles are old, and wizards wear pointy hats. Doesn't have to be purely D&D European fantasy, but I'll take anything that feels like an honest to god proper noblebright adventure.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EEWToCWTCdo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For an example of an anime I did like that's not generic European fantasy, I recently finished Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Love the fantasy designs and the action was good, only thing holding it back was the harem shit.

And just a few pictures

Dungeon Meshi ?

That looks great... but I'm not in the mood for Manga right now. Definitely storing that name for when I am, though, thank you

Slayers?

There are people on this board right now that don't know about dungeon meshi?

Then it might be the case that you don't even know Record of Lodoss War, which should be what you are looking for.

Looks solid, thanks

>There are people on this board right now that don't know about dungeon meshi?
I'm ashamed to say that the only weeb stuff I know is what comes on Toonami. I'll definitely look up Lodoss War, though

I want haremshit to crawl into a corner and die.

How about Castle in the Sky?

just keep away from the post-2001 slayers series imo, they got no soul

tower of druaga is one that might be worth checking out too, it's got a setting similar to danmachi but without some of the most tiring bits of harem pandering that series relishes in.

Rune soldier Louie is fun.
Log Horizon is great.
Konosuba is hilarious.
Dog Days is pretty much the exact opposite of grimdark.
The World is Still Beautiful is good too.

yeah louie is a super charming series

It's ironic, isn't it? The whole point of the damn anime is harem pandering--it's even in the name--but the actual dungeon crawling is food enough to carry it.

Try the old animated Sword in the Stone movie (1963)

There's an old as fuck anime called Bastard you might like. It's edgy, but in an 80's camp way.
Also, the cities and spells are named after metal bands, like the city of Metallicana.

Alright, 80s camp can easily circle back to awesome

I still want to fuck Hestia

I will unabashedly confess that I like haremshit animu. I just want a setting that's interesting enough that, even if you ignore the haremshit, I'd still want to watch it.

Anyone with recommendations for this shit-tier taste of mine?

Honestly, if you haven't seen it then I really would suggest Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon.

>God's have come down to live amongst mortals, people that worship them can get their blessing
>Huge, mysterious tower in the middle of town that constantly spawns monsters
>Monsters drop gems that act as currency, adventuring is a fully-realized job to hunt them
>Actual levels and stats

And then there's all the girls that love the spunky loser

Thread inspired me to try and watch anime again. Been mostly disappointed (nothing against the suggestions; I think I just can't get my fix anymore). I did find something called Senyu, which is fucking adorable and funny. Crappy thing is each episode is only like 5 minutes long.

>Crappy thing is each episode is only like 5 minutes long.
Ah damn, that just kills it for me

So slayers is 3.5?

Well not quite.
Most of the party is casters with some gishing thrown in, but Gourry is still badass.

Bikini Warriors.

It's still a bloody awesome parody of JRPG tropes.

bikini warriors is high cinematic art tbqh

im not even joking

Adventure Time is pretty good. They even crack D&D based jokes about alignment and experience penalties sometimes. The setting isn't pure noble-bright, but it's like 80% noble and bright. The fact that the lore is always expanding is cool too.

We talking Queen's Blade levels of cinematic art?

>I just what something basic, where the heroes are heroes, the castles are old, and wizards wear pointy hats.

Record of Lodoss War

It's trash.

>Adventure Time is pretty good.

>spongebob pic

Yes, Tumblr fanbase aside Adventure Time has more good than bad.

This is some good shit, thanks user

If you don't mind an oldie, Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.

bump

Gargantia, although it's SF

Originally D&D cartoon had some dark undertones under all that 80's writing...

its a sort of very self-aware queens blade through the lens of dragon quest satire
a bit of russ meyer meets toriyama

Record of Lodoss War.

Based off of a lot or work built around DnD style play - originally from Japan (you can look up the full story on the Wiki). The anime is a 5-part movie (there is also a series, but I have not seen it). It's an excellent tale - it's pretty much like watching an animated DnD session. A hack and slash one though. Lots of monsters die, a great evil is battled, and lots of noble people clash with the forces of darkness.
I wouldn't call it grimdark, but it isn't a comedy either. Might be worth you giving a look at.

>The anime is a 5-part movie
Could you elaborate? According to Wikipedia it has a 13-part OVA, and a 27-part anime

Probably because he's got a god damn artifact sword.

Is Konosuba noblebright?

>Sorcerous Stabber Orphen
Now that just sounds metal as fuck

What about the Tales of Earthsea Ghibli movie?

And iirc, you'll meet a dragon named Bloody August in episode one. Isn't that fucking awesome?

More like noblestupid, but that's my personal taste.

mmm that japan-idustrial thing is my jam

Yo, Ghibli did Earthsea? How did I miss that?

It's... Eh. I like it but a lot of people hate it.

It was done by Miyazaki's son, and it was so bad it inspired him to come out of retirement just to redeem the studio's good name.

Nice animation, but it mixes up the Earthsea novels in the worst way. Nothing fucking happens in the second half, either.

OP, I'm seconding Slayers and Lodoss. They're classics. Dragon Half is along the same lines, but it's more humorous. For ASIAN FANTASY there's 12 Kingdoms, Fushigi Yuugi (also known as Inuyasha) and Id, although the latter's a manga. If you want something more recent... Nothing comes to mind besides DanMachi and that's been recommended already.

Fuck, now I really want to watch 12 Kingdoms again. It's sort of noblebright once you get past a certain point. (Basically the king of each country is chosen by heaven, and if they act ignobly their divinely-appointed horror unicorn gets sick and the country is faced with famine and monsters.)

actually, the old animated versions of LOTR and Hobbit are really good.

>could have been broken down at some point for length purposes.

Literally the worst thing that Ghibli has ever - ever - done.

Shukufuku no Campanella has Aria levels of saccharine niceness if you don't mind eroge adaptations.

I've heard that Leviathan is literally "players trolling their DM: the show"

It's not THAT bad, quit your memeing.

As someone who has read all of Ursula Guin's books -- yeah, you'll want to ignore that it's even called Earthsea because it's more like a re-imagining of the whole damn series. That aside, it's not a bad movie to watch on a rainy day.

leviathan is the most accurate adaption of a dnd campaign ever put to film, even including the ones like lodoss that actually were adapted from pnp

The Flight of Dragons. Animated film from Rankin & Bass, same people who made the animated hobbit. It's amazing. One of the best fantasy films full stop, not just animated. It even has James Earl Jones as an evil wizard, and he gives really good evil wizard.
If you haven't seen it, you really must, I can't recommend it enough.

No, all of the casters in the anime are blasters. Except the one healer, but she picked up blasting too.

You've literally posted the only example in existence.

I see others already recommended it, but I have to add my recommendations to Records of Lodoss War. I honestly don't remember what the Anime was about, I just remember the first episode had a textbook Dn'D party consisting of a paladin, an female elf ranger (I think), a thief, a mage in pointy hat and a fat little cleric healer: all of them venturing into a dungeon full of traps and goblins, ending with a dragon guarding a treasure.

It had oddly compelling soundtrack too. Kaze no Fantasia was cheezy and 90's as fuck and yet there was something I really loved about it.
youtube.com/watch?v=EEWToCWTCdo

If you want something flat-out comedic, you might want to check Those Who Hunt Elves. It had some pretty good meta-genre humor in it.

Laugh with all your might, but when you stop - go check Jumanji, the animated version. Endless mine of ideas that can be easily ported to noblebright fantasy, because they were first ported FROM noblebright fantasy into hungry jungle full of weird creatures.

Also, Spice and Wolf, for no/low combat party?

>What about the Tales of Earthsea Ghibli movie?
It's irredeemably bad. Seriously, it's a rape of the Earthsea world, but also a rape of Miyazaki's work: the first half literally re-tells sections of Shuna No Tabi, except badly, and it just gets worse from there on.

Just follow this user, desu, and you are going to be fine. And add some Slayers to it for shit and giggles.

Avoid this shit. Literally toxic

Alright, for everyone suggesting Slayers are there any particular portions to /avoid/? There's a good half-dozen different anime adaptions and five movies.

That's one vote for nothing past 2001

And that's the vote you should listen to. Slayers pretty much ended that year.

Post Season 5 it definitely becomes extremely uneven, unfortunately.

Just pretend Revolution and Evolution-R don't exist, all the rest is worth watching.

The OVAs and movies are basically standalone side stories and can pretty much be watched whenever, since they're mostly all set before the TV series chronologically. I think the last one has Xellos in it so you'd have to watch Try first but that's it

Any recommendations for 70s/80s animu in general?

Can't go wrong with anything directed by Dezaki for starters, Space Adventure Cobra is a personal favorite

Fuck yeah Rune Soldier Louie.

It even has a muscle wizard!

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari might be up your alley then.It has that weird magic+pseudo historical+high technology thing going on but in a way that's much better thought out then most series. The characters aren't half bad either. Don't watch the dub, half the cast is failing to pull off a faux-aristocratic accent.

>Don't watch the dub
It's 2016, does this really still need to be said?

I'm pretty sure that it's not noblebright, but Katanagatari is a really well told fantasy journey, with some solid animation and visuals.

I just wanted to plug Katanagatari really

I'm a huge fan of Patlabor, myself. It's a show about a mecha police force, and I think it strikes a nice balance of street-level mecha battles (ie, it's not giant Evangelion weirdness)

Has it? Kinda fell out of watching TV in general when I went to college. Only recent thing I've seen of Adventure Time was Marceline's movie/mini-arc, which I thought was pretty awesome.

I don't watch it, but from what I heard the person behind the more backstoryish episodes who did stuff on the war, Simon and Marcy, etc. left, and the series somewhat suffered for it.

Ah damn, the lore and back story was my favorite element of Adventure Time

To the people suggesting Lodoss: the 13 ep OVA from 1990 or the 27 ep series from 98? Or both?

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is alright.

I'd recommend the manga over the anime. All the exposition works a lot better in comic book form, and the anime made the bad decision to try and base it's character designs on the light novels, but the light novel art style is way too detailed to work in anime, and the so the anime designs just seem kind of boring, it just doesn't translate well.

>Been wanting to run a "collect the 7 mythical swords" campaign
>all my friends have watched Katanagatari
>just watched it myself
Fuck.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, particularly Part 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8.
The parts I listed tend to have the nmore morally righteous protoganists. Just remember to not skip any parts

Mega Man has had enough of your shit

Great timing. I was looking for just this myself.

Both. Chronicles of the Heroic Knight continues the story, but ignores the last third of the OVA to be more faithful to the original stories.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is fantasy? The few pictures I've seen have been modern... or is this one of those animes that has cars and castles together?

The first part is definitely pretty fantasy-inspired, but it becomes modern pretty quickly

Ah, thanks for the clarification