What's the amount of slack/grace that you give a player in a campaign before you start looking for a replacement?

What's the amount of slack/grace that you give a player in a campaign before you start looking for a replacement?

>Started up a 5e campaign this Saturday
>Myself, my friend and three of his coworkers: two guys and a girl
>DM is my friend's brother
>Three coworkers are all new to D&D, but all show excitement
>Guy 1 and Girl come in and pretty much know what class they want to play from skimming through the Handbook, pick Bard and Druid respectively
>Guy 2 doesn't really know, just wants to be an 'evil' caster, so he settles on Warlock after DM explains this to him
>We start rolling our characters, Guy 2 needs a TON of help getting things setup because he has no idea what to do since it's become apparent he did no preparation
>Characters made...
>Guy 2: "Well, it's time for me to go. It's getting late."
>Everyone else: "Wait, what? It's only 10:30 on a Saturday of a three day weekend."
>Guy 2: "Yeah, well... I'm old." and he laughs as it's apparently a running joke because he's actually a few years younger than my friends and I
>And within seconds he's up and out the door, waving his hand at any suggestions to at least do this miniature entry quest the DM wrote up to get us into the setting he made

Yet my friend says that if we do anything without Guy 2 he'd be 'crushed', yet is being entirely inconsiderate to the feelings of five other people; including the DM. DM is already annoyed and is searching for potential replacements... how much more should we tolerate?

>this past Saturday
>HOW MUCH MORE SHOULD WE TOLERATE
It's been three days and all of one non-session. Communicate with him about how long sessions usually take and have the group come to a consensus on a time to meet.

A ton of slack... but that's mostly because I only game with my friends, so if something's going wrong my first instinct is "What's wrong with my friend, and how can I fix it?" rather than "Why is this asshole I barely know fucking up my game?"

I basically low-key treat it like a job and I'm the boss.

Two no-call no-shows? You're on my permanent shit list and will be replaced immediately.

Three counts of calling in at the last second, even if it's "reasonable"? I start looking for a replacement unless he suddenly starts showing up consistently.

If the player disrupts the table more than 3 times in a single session, automatic boot. 2 times, he gets a talking to and a stern, but fair, warning. The first time is ignored cause some people just have random fits of autism for no reason.

They also get an automatic boot for arguing with me, and they don't even get invited until I know that they know enough rules to build and manage a character without choking on their own vomit. That's the bare minimum to get into my table.

My logic is that the rest of us are here because we take the game seriously, and we're not here to baby sit you or entertain you. So if you fuck with that or don't show up, then you can fuck off.

I know it's a bit of a knee jerk since it was the very first day, but an agitated DM at the end of day 1 is not a good start.

We've already begun to talk to him about how we want to go late night, at least around 1:30 to 2 AM in following Saturdays.

You probably should have started earlier. I'm not even that old and much past 10:30 and I'm looking to get settled in for the night.

My group had a similar problem but in our case I was the one who had to up and leave.

Just give him one or two more chances. After that look for someone new because shit can't progress like that.

I get the part about the no-shows and the calling in but the rest of that sounds like it would heavily restrict the fun of a game-night.

"Disrupts" and "arguing" might be a little worse than what we're thinking of.
Either way, his group seems to take the game a fair bit more seriously than we're used to.

This to be honest. Saturday afteroon, Noon 'til 5 or something is fine, but starting at 10:30 and on until 2ish...nah.

He should have been prepared and given the situation, he could've stuck around for the intro, that's on him.
DM should've just ran the intro and had this guy's character show up later.

We actually started at around 6, 6:30.

The guy who bailed early had to be hand held VERY SLOWLY through the entire character building process which included describing several classes and what the mechanics meant so he could decide.

If it took 4 hours to do character creation then either you've got a bad system or that person is a bit on the slow side.

If it took 4 hours to do character creation in 5e, someone at that table has a mental disorder.

He doesn't sound that interested desu.

Probaby showed up because his work buddies are doing it.
The fact that he couldn't be arsed to do any research what so ever, speaks to his personal character. Red flag user. He's here to play checkers, not ttrpgs.

I wouldn't blame the system right off, my first instinct is to question a player's level of commitment. I've seen people so ready and excited to play that they take the time to READ THE BOOK, even if it's a few chapters.

When I have a player who wants to play but doesn't show any energy, daring-do, or even some foresight as to what they want or how they want to contribute.. chances are they're not gonna even read a page dedicated to whatever class they pick. I've had too many situations where I'll have some players who will start rolling whatever dice I instruct them and walk them through the process then be ready in half an hour or an hour. Then we got the one guy who isn't giving his full attention, has to be explained what every step is for and why it has to be that way, explain his abilities, hand-held the whole way, and spend two hours on him alone to get his character hammered out.

Does this guy write any notes or bookmarks pages pertaining to his character? Nope. Time to explain everything each time.

This right here. He's not invested. No interest. Just hanging out. Nothing wrong with that, but if you force this guy to participate it's gonna slow your game flow down.

OP you're frwaking out about nothing
>Brand new to TRPG
>Takes 4 hours just to make a character
>already 1030

Completely reasonable for them to want to go home. They haven't seen the actual game yet, and it would be hard to get into it now that its late af. Chargen is boring to a new player

Once you start actually roleplaying I'm sure they won't want to dip early and miss out on shit actually happening

Yeah, sorry, I should be clear. Making jokes and faffing about is fine. I mean disrupt and arguing in the sense that afterwards, everyone has to step away from the table for 10 minutes just to let the mood get back to neutral to reestablish the flow of the game.

>"Hey, DM, you're REALLY wrong about this, I don't agree"
is 100% fine

>"Hey DM, you're really wrong about this and also a stupid asshole and so are your friends and I'm going to bring this up again"
>"Player, I already explained to you how you are wrong and I am the DM, we can talk about this later"
>"No, you are wrong now and I refuse to move and fuck you!"
is what gets the boot. And yes, I've had the latter happen to me. My current players know enough of the rules and my playstyle that even though they constantly do the former to me, it's rarely disrupting because they're often right.

Yeah in that case I completely agree

Since we're all rather new there are discussions about the rules on certain skills but when the DM decides something then that is what sticks.

>Guy 2 is being entirely inconsiderate to the feelings of five other people; including the DM.
You have your answer.
Guy 2 is being inconsiderate.
This needs to be clearly and directly communicated to him.
He gets the benefit of the doubt for last Saturday, as what was expected might not have been understood.
If he is unwilling to coordinate with the group in the future, then it's not a right fit, and that's that.
No hard feelings.

To answer your question, I forgive a lot until it's been addressed, which I do as soon as possible.
After that, I respond with stern reminders for petty annoyances and removal for repeated problem behavior.

Now to the Real Issue:
>>Myself, my friend and three of his coworkers: two guys and a girl
>>DM is my friend's brother
>>Three coworkers are all new to D&D, but all show excitement
>>Guy 1 and Girl come in and pretty much know what class they want to play from skimming through the Handbook, pick Bard and Druid respectively
IF YOU EVER BEGIN ANOTHER STORY ON TG WITH SUCH USELESS UNNECESSARY BLOGSHIT INFO THAT ADDS LITERALLY NOTHING TO THE STORY I WILL RIP YOUR SPLEEN OUT THROUGH THE FUCKING INTERNET AND FEED IT TO MY DOG

Good luck in your endeavours, user!

It's Veeky Forums, you cockmongling retard. If you're going to get so fucking buttblasted, at least get the fucking name of the place right.

Fair enough.
I did consider going back to edit that before posting, but my autist lost out in the end.

you don't have to out right replace him, but you don't have to stop on his account either.

he can deal with it.