Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
mtgtop8.com/event?e=12484&d=271873&f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/deck/384621#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The overall Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

>playing
Suicide Zoo
>Brewing
Nothing really just Tibor and Lumia EdH and testing myth realized on Suicide Zoo main deck of a one of.
>Next Purchase
EDH and Verdant Catacombs to finish my loam Pox deck in legacy.

>suzoo
Mind sharing your list?
What are your thoughts one 1 postmortem lunge?

Some potential discussion:

Is Crumbling Vestige good in Amulet?

Is Whirler Rogue good? I know it's worse than P&K, but in a Bant or Sultai list it might be sweet

I am running Sam Black's List
mtgtop8.com/event?e=12484&d=271873&f=MO

But I'm running 16 lands instead so I can have 4 lynx, but I'm testing 3lynx and 1myth realized.

As for the postmortem lunge,not sure senpai Pam. I saw a list that used Orzhov Charm and it got to top 8. I would definitely test :D. I would say I don't like paying one mana to bring him back the turn I am going for the kill, because we are light on mana. That's why I think Orzhov Charm is better as you can do it on the end step.

>playing
Kiki chord and u tron.
>brewing
Talrand edh.
>next purchase
Either Fulminator mages or burn stuff.

alright boys im actually buying/finding my pieces for spellweaver helix

+4 loam
+4 flame jab
+2 raven's crime
+4 simian spirit guide
+1 worldfire
+some shocks+fetches

im gonna win my next fnm you watch me

I'm with you on that brother. The manabase is where all the cost of the deck is, everything else is shit $.50 cards

>Playing
Infect
>Brewing
everyone at my local is playing jeskai and jund, without a single eidolon of the great revel in sight. just gonna jam storm for a bit.
>Next MTG Purchase
just finished my legacy deck, so I'm done buying magic cards for now

Seeing these threads makes me sad I sold all my cards, but at the same time at least I don't have to hunt for cards any more. Also considering a the decks I wanted to build got banned in some fashion I wouldn't have really known where to go with Modern.

Modern isnt worth playing. Its a meme format and will be replaced with paper pauper.

>This is what pauperfags actually believe

>>Playing?
legacy

>>Brewing?
technology for beating eldrazi while remaining potent against real decks.

>>Next MTG Purchase?
sold all my other cards

Is it worth to trade a noble hierarch for ancestral visions staight across? I don't know if nobles will go any higher or AV.
Help

ye

no, don't be stupid.

Why yes?
Why not?

Get out

>tfw goblins no longer tier3

Can Storm reach tier 2?

Ive never really understood Emrakul's popularity when Path is so prevalent. Is protection from shit like Doom Blade really that valuable? It seems fragile.

Eh, path can not kill emrakul

>Protection from colored spells
>"durr y so popular wen path?!1"
>Path is white
>Path is a colored spell
>Ergo, Path cannot legally target Emrakul

If you don't understand the basics of MTG, please leave the thread and don't post again until you do.

>Nahiri already tumbling down

top kek

Its not like they're really competing even. MTG can support a ton of different causal formats.

I say don't do it.

Visions current price tag is inflated because it just recently got unbanned people were hyped for it in modern and honestly, it just has not put up results.

Sure, it'll stay up there in price but I doubt it has room to grow even more.

Hierarch on the other hand can definitely grow. It's been lowish for a while due to MM15 printing. In fact it's already starting to creep up there.

Verdict: Keep Hierarch, Ditch Visions.

More importantly, is it time to offload grafdiggers cage?

Always.

Any chance of Drownyard control being a thing in Modern? Or is it still impossible to get any kind of hard lock on the game?

Made some progress. Eldrazi was a hard match up, since a Reality Smasher on the board is difficult to deal with. More Thragtusks would help with that. I admit the deck is occasionally very dependent on accelerating early and abusing the tempo. 24 Lands may be a land too many, and Garruk Wildspeaker ain't necessarily pulling his weight.

Creature (15)
4x Arbor Elf
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
1x Obstinate Baloth
1x Thragtusk
1x Thrun, the Last Troll

Sorcery (11)
3x Bramblecrush
4x Molten Rain
4x Stone Rain

Land (24)
10x Forest
1x Kessig Wolf Run
6x Mountain
1x Raging Ravine
2x Stomping Ground
4x Wooded Foothills

Planeswalker (2)
1x Garruk, Primal Hunter
1x Garruk Wildspeaker

Enchantment (4)
4x Utopia Sprawl

Instant (4)
4x Lightning Bolt

Sideboard (15)
1x Ancient Grudge
4x Anger of the Gods
2x Grafdigger's Cage
1x Obstinate Baloth
2x Pithing Needle
1x Relic of Progenitus
4x Spellskite

Land Destruction is kinda like Counterspells in that it's pointless if your opponent has already resolved a threat.

If you don't plan on using it, yes. Always sell into hype. Well, almost always.

>Protection from colored spells
>Thinks that white, the opposite of black, is considered "colored"
>Somehow I'm the idiot
"Colored" is another word for black, seeing how Emrakul was printed before the civil rights era, the original wording can be pretty confusing.

Wizards, being the racists they are, have refused to errata "colored" to "black." I guess the wording is a little weird, but man it's strange to see people those days think that whites are "coloreds"

>White people
>Face is red when angry, blue if suffocated, orange in the sun, yellowish when sick, white when dead
>Black people
>Face is black when angry, black if suffocated, black in the sun, black when sick, black when dead
>The "colored" race
Another example of white ethnocentric vocabulary.

When are they going to unban pod? Melira Pod was such a fun deck.

lmaoing at your life

Guys
GUYS
WHAT IF
Narset Transcendent x4
Gideon Jura x4
On U/W control???

Narset is trash and Gideon isn't as good without Twin in the format. What I suggest you try is Azorius Guildmage

Seems kind of premature to be writing her off before EMN is even spoiled. Not that I care, since I bought all my Nahiris when she was 10 dollars. It's always nice to see speculators eating shit, even if it's a favorite card of mine.

"I'm an absolute retard and have no idea how to play magic: the gathering so I'm going to make it seem like I was being a troll all along"

That damage control

>suicide zoo
#triggered
Dont you mean deaths shadow aggro?

I think Visions is a pretty big shitshow in modern atm

The only deck that seems to use it well is Grixis. Hardly justifies the price. It does allow the deck to pretty much insta-win against decks like Jund once it resolves though

I'd love it if decks like Jund started using Courser more to counteract the card advantage of Visions.

REEEEEEEE

>deaths shadow aggro
I'm pretty sure that names like this are Hearthstone's fault. In Hearthstone, every deck's name is [Gimmick] [Class]. It's like people are trying to make deck lists obvious from the name alone.

I remember Channel Fireball tried to call is "Super Crazy Zoo".

I don't see a problem here.

It's very dull.

Because names decks after obscure references is so much better for the community, right.

I don't get it. There's lots of cards that aren't "politically" correct senpai Pam.

Only after faeries does.

no dude im not even playing with you, honest! i seriously am building it. look! honest to goodness. here are the pieces I have so far, and i have a few sideboard as well. piss poor image but it works

I'm drawing a blank here
What were those old-ass lands that produced a shitton of mana when you have all three of them out called? One of them was a forge or something.

The Urza lands. There is Urza's Tower, Urza's Mine, and Urza's Power Plant.

Don't play with them though. Please.

What's wrong with them?

they're really good and people think the deck is for mongoloids because it's straightforward and easy to play.

>Bugs&thugs
#triggered
Don't you mean bg infect?

It's better for the community.

It's not better for random onlookers.

But those people don't play Modern anyways, so who gives a crap? If they wanna play, it's probably not gonna be the 5 minutes of research to find out what the archetypes are that'll make or break it for them. And if it is, well, they probably shouldn't play anyways.

why the worldfire?

it's a win con. spellweaver helix with flame jab + worldfire is an instant win con regardless of life total. if I don't cast it off the bat, I'll get indefinite turns with time stretch until I find it.

So, if I wanted info on buying fakes, where do I go? I'm not too keen on spending outrageous sums on cards.

I refuse to call my decks shit like Uw control. It might make it a little more confusing to the uninitiated, but its a lot more fun when you have all these crazy names.

Even some "conventional" names in modern are pretty meaningless. Affinity runs no affinity cards; why not just call it Robots? Boggles only runs one Boggle, and most people probably don't know what a Boggle is. Doesn't that make more sense.

Villa Zheng

Anyone play Elves in Modern?

I played them in Standard in Origins and they were a blast. The seem extremely explosive in modern and not too expensive either.

Any list suggestions, tips, etc?

Thanks.

dont use chords they suck dick. other than that it's very cheap and it's an awsome deck :D

Oh really? I figured it would be great with like Craterhoof and Shaman of the Pack

Ok, the magician cards for the gathering just came in. This is what the chinaman just brought me.

Tarmogoyf looks alright, but Fulminator Mage's rules text is typical fake (S a c r i fice). I wouldn't play with Fulminator Mage.

I think I could tell the Tarmogoyf is a fake if I looked closely at the set symbol, but other than that it looks good.

But Affinity still holds onto the idea of the original incarnations: a bunch of artifact stuff that synergizes really well. The only Affinity for Artifacts card they run anymore is Thoughtcast.

And Bogles runs 8 Slippery Bogles. 4 Bogles and 4 Gladecover Scout.

Jund doesn't exclusively run cards that come from Alara, Tron isn't 5 mini lion robots that transform and combine into one super robot. The names have been around for a long time and can tell anyone whos played the game, or spent five minutes looking what the deck does and it's core functions.

Noble Hierarch's textbox is awful, you should NOT play with it in competitive environments. Especially if all four of your Hierarchs are fake.

Liliana looks okay. The name L i l i a n a gives it away though.

And before you say I am nitpicky: I do check unstamped cards during matches. Worst case is I simply tilt them, best case I call them out on their counterfeits.

Most noticeably thing is the glossiness, they are like 20% more glossy than normal mtg cards, although entirely just opened cards tend to be kind of this glossy, these ones aren't supposed to be mint condition, so they will require some aging before being able to put them into play confidently.

is it just me or is the print crooked? Looks like it's not straight at the top.

Not bad desu fampai

Though I am the kind of person who does not give an shit about fake cards. I'm playing against ideas, not wallets.

Can you tell which one is the fake?

That's just the camera angle. I zoomed a bit to avoid blocking the light.

>Can you tell which one is the fake?

These questions are dumb. I can just grab a few real cards and compare them in bulk on the spot. The fake WILL stand out.

craterhoof is for legacy breh. and you usually just want to win by beating down face.
mtggoldfish.com/deck/384621#paper

from testing this kind of build is the best.I would put shaman of the pact in still

i own lilianas and m8 those look very good. You won't get caught in play. (DOUBLE SLEEVES)

They quite stand out, the glossiness gives it away if you are looking for fakes, but you are supposed to have them double sleeved in the first place so people dont get to see the back of the card.

Also does anyone have some recommendations for aging the cards a bit? I'm just shuffling them around and playing them on random surfaces and randomly damage some edges to reach that SP status.

Also pic related, the hilarious shocklands misprints, i guess these are the only 3 ones that have this error, the rest are perfectly ok.

They are just mere shocklands so even if they look kind of shady, i can't believe someone going out of their way checking a shockland out to see if it's a fake.

>Affinity runs no affinity cards; why not just call it Robots?
Affinity is still called Affinity because it runs many of the cards that were in Standard Affinity. The deck name moved beyond the mechanic.

Got linked to this thread from somewhere, but just wanna comment; really? This shit is still a thing? I played MTG back when Tempest was a new thing, and looking at these new cards here, the game has gone through some regression.

>Also does anyone have some recommendations for aging the cards a bit?

Leave them out in the sun. Riffle shuffling them is probably your best best. Play with them unsleeved on wooden surfaces.

>I refuse to call my decks shit like Uw control. It might make it a little more confusing to the uninitiated, but its a lot more fun when you have all these crazy names.
I agree, also giving decks stupid names adds charm to it. For instance I call my Naya burn deck "Lightning Bolt Tribal"

If Ancestral Vision is prevalent in an area then Jund starts to run Imp's Mischief.

Don't listen to because Chord of Calling is excellent. You can either Chord for a silver bullet answer to a situation(Reclamation Sage, Phyrexian Revoker etc.) with a billion Elves to convoke or Archdruid mana or you can Chord for other wincons like Shaman/Ezuri. Craterhoof is unnecessary(and unreliable) though in Modern Elves since we're not cantripping away with 20-30+ 1 mana Elves with Glimpse of Nature and Gaea's Cradle.

If your area plays heavy amounts of Grafdigger's Cage then you can side in Lead the Stampede for those particular situations. There will be matches where you will side out Chord or CoCo depending on matchups.

its bad fan pam, I didnt want to admit it at first because "muh silver bullet". Ran Reid Duke's list with only 1 chord and 4 Cocos the deck has never ran so smoothly :,D

I've been playing Elves in modern for a long time and as much as Reid Duke is a good player and I know he plays Elves a large amount in Legacy I strongly insist he was playing the wrong colour version of Elves but I know he had a specific gameplan in mind.

The original Modern Gw Elves list was heavily outdated during the Eldrazi menace(which is the deck you listed at the time) though all Elves players in Modern do agree that Gw does tend to have better stronger sideboard answers compared to Gb which heavily relies on the Thoughtseize or Stain the Mind package. In fact Reid Duke LOST in the Elves mirror to the Chord/CoCo version so that tells you something on which list was better, though I can digress that his list was better catered to playing a more aggro orientated route. The Gbw is easily the most well equipped version to handle the current meta due to its ability to play either straight aggro or combo shell. The downside though is that the Gbw version weakens your Burn matchup a little bit in game 1 compared to playing a straight up 2 colour version either Gw or Gb which has very excellent Burn matchups compared to the 3 colour version due to running more Horizon Canopy or Fetch/Shock for a 3 colour mana base.

The advantage that Lead the Stampede lists have over Chord of Calling is that you have a much stronger Jund matchup since you can refill your hand but you have worse answers to other decks like Infect/Affinity/Burn with a lack of a Chordable response.

I know you're serious, and thats why you need to leave.

The point is that the deck doesnt CURRENTLY run any Affinity cards. It might have been based on a deck that run Affinity cards 12 years ago, but isn't that more of a stretch to expect the uninitiated to understand then something like Tin Fins or Strawberry Shortcake

>He doesn't know about Thoughtcast!

So what you're saying is I can call my Zoo Deck "Exalted" and thats fine?

No, cunt, you get out.

This "shitter-with-elitist-complex" mentality is an absolute cancer. This is a children's cardgame with maybe a handful of cemented competitive decks that netdecker "hardcore" kids like yourself contributed nothing towards. I would rather read through varied threads filled with casuals then deal with your tired, regurgitated, pseudo-patracian drivel.
"Hows about that merfolk"
"Oh yeah that affinity eh"
"I run two Kalitas in *my* midrange!" "Well I run three!"

Not only do you contribute nothing, but by hindering the slightest bit of discourse and stiffling it you ~literally~ regress the state of these threads with your anti-contribution.

Eat a bag of dirty cocks.

agree

What is your current sideboard plan? Last I saw of your list, the sideboard was pretty ass. When you do sideboard, what do you take out? I find myself taking out the simians and maybe a glimpse

>he doesn't believe in helix

it's okay. i got more. i'll make it tier.

Mfw goblins aren't even on the meta list

Explain how it is better for the community.