MTG ADVICE THREAD

Your boy is going to a modern tournament today for some cash. Entry is like 40 dollars and like 80 people are going to go. The question is in a diverse meta where everything is going to show up do i play Mono Red Burn or Blue Red Delver? I know tron,infect,burn,jeskai control, graveyard shit strategies, grixis, jund, is going to be there. Whats the right call.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/standard-type-2/standard-archives/91308-fetch-lands-deck-thinning-is-a-myth
magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Post lists for each

Jund.

Creatures (18)
4x Goblin guide
4x monastery swiftspear
4x Vexing Devil
4x Eidolon of the great Revel
2x Grim lavamancer

Spells (24)
4x lightning bolt
4x lava spike
4x Rift bolt
4x Searing blaze
4x Skullcrack
2x Flames of the Blood hand
2x Shard volley

Lands (18)
10x Mountain
8 fetches

19 LANDS
5 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Wandering Fumarole
14 CREATURES
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Vendilion Clique
4 Young Pyromancer
27 INSTANTS and SORC.
1 Dismember
2 Electrolyze
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Izzet Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Mana Leak
3 Remand
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare
2 Vapor Snag

>fetches in mono-red
Why?

Thins the deck out, fuels grim lavamancer, I have them lying around

Deck thinning isn't real.

Over the first 1-5 turns, Deck Thinning via Fetch Lands give you a 1-4% higher chance of drawing a spell (rather than a land). Over turns 5-10, a "thinned" deck gives the player a 3-7% higher chance of drawing spells over land.

It has been proven several times that deck thinning doesn't work, here are some links so you can't be a whiny bitch about source.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/standard-type-2/standard-archives/91308-fetch-lands-deck-thinning-is-a-myth
magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096

Bro that first article straight up says its real but says that anything less than a 5% advantage is irrelevant, still 5% why not

Because as burn, you aren't supposed to get late enough in the game for that 5%.

Vexing devil is a trap.

>hello lets just throw % out the window for no good reason whatsoever!
also
>Fuels Lavamancer

In Mono red you take what you can get

First article has some science bitch crunch the numbers

There are better cards for mono-red than ones that give your opponent a choice.

>still ignoring lavamancer
yeah okay, just play the fetches

Like?

Listen. That percentage shouldn't even be 2% by the time you're closing out the game as burn. That, and you're paying life for it. Just run mountains, and consider Blood Moon or Magus over the devils.

??
still not even talking about % anymore, run them to fuel lavamancer

You shouldn't be running out of lavamancer fuel with all the burn spells you cast.

I'm not playing blood moon or magus main board because i dont have autism

Okay, imagine you fetch twice, then exile both to lavamancer. You've paid two life, one mana, and tapped a creature, all for 2 damage and a shuffle. At that point, you may as well just attack with lavamancer.

>I don't want free wins

why would you attack with your split removal/damage spell?

Lava mancer can ping creatures

>Fetches in any deck

Honestly, why pay life to "thin," my deck (thinning provides a negligible advantage) when I could just straight up play a basic that turn?

because a fetch is potentially any color of mana with duals?

Color-fixing.

Get real blood moon main board is like me wearing a condom under my pants in the club. Just take it put it out after g1 if you really want it

Then just add in an extra dual land in place of the fetch, you'll draw it with the same frequency theoretically.

Because you have the wrong basic in your hand.

You're missing the point. 2 life for 2 damage isn't as good as bolting twice and using those as fuel. You shouldn't be playing long enough to run out of lavamancer fuel in the first place.

None of what you just said means anything, and Blood Moon is free wins, and better than Vexing Devil.

Listen it's alright to be wrong man.You are wrong. Science proves it, legacy burn proves it, my win rate proves it.

But it might not be the right dual. A fetch is always the right dual.

Listen blood moon does 0 damage, and worse case scenario vexing devil eats some removal. Blood moon is good and i like it IN THE FUCKING SIDEBOARD

Yeah lol okay dude, enjoy your FNM wins, maybe you'll try a real tournament someday.

But SOMETIMES
You have to slog through a guy that plays a finks or something
and having a good long game plan that doesn't impact your short game plan at all is just a good idea, because you know, sometimes things go wrong, and it's those games where you claw your way to victory that really matter.

Gp Detroit top 100 with mono red burn. I've made more money with mono red burn than i spend on it.

Blood moon stops them from casting anything. That's a free win, retard. Vexing devil is never what you want it to be. Need that 4 damage? Nope, it's a 4/3. Need a blocker? Nope, 4 damage.

Blood moon is good, and for someone who doesn't play burn it would be hard to understand why it isn't good in the mainboard. I can win games with 1-2 mana. You want to be doing 9 damage on turn 3 instead of slamming a blood moon

Hello fellow grinder!
You seem to have made a mistake and forgotten that Veeky Forums is shit at magic!
Try not to take ANYTHING they say seriously, and just laugh it off when they act retarded.

I came hear asking a simple question. Deck 1 or deck 2 because i couldn't decide. I still haven't gotten an answer

You realize treasure cruise is banned in modern right? I cannot with good conscience recommend either decks atm. Play infect or Naya Burn or Affinity if you want to play aggro.

Still better than Vexing Devil.

sure

Treasure cruise delver straight up won me my first modern 1k

It's still banned.

Why would you waste 40 bucks unless you're going to bring something competitive to the table?

Unless you you play a tier 1 deck you're just throwing your money away.

First off get real. Playing decks that have good match ups against tier 1 decks is a thing. Delver is good enough to take first place easy. Half the retards that build tier 1 decks are just net deck faggots who can't play jeskai control to save their fucking life.

>2x Flames of the Blood hand
lol no. Dont run this shit.

Wow, burn players really are retarded.

First off delver v. infect i'll take my free win. Delver vs nahiri free win. Delver vs burn after my 0-2 i'll go get a sandwich or something. Delver vs jund guys too distracted by his foiled out jund deck to learn how to play it. I'll play delver go like 7-1 take first take my cash and buy more foil delvers

Sure kid.

Niggah are you serious?

Ok tell me what your going to take to a modern tournament

Me? Hatebears. I love seeing fetches in mono-colored decks.

>2 life for 2 damage isn't as good as bolting twice and using those as fuel.
With fetches you can have both thats the point idiot.

That doesn't make sense, why would you need more cards to exile? Are you not casting enough burn spells?

you wont stand a chance unless you are playing tier 1, proceeds to talk about his fucking tier 2 pile of trash

Hey, I never said it was tier one, just that it stomps your deck into the ground.

dont even need to read the rest of the thread. play this over delver.

Doesn't hate bears have a good matchup against Burn because of 4x Thalia and sometimes Lone Missionary?

I'm on your side dude. The points of life seem unimportant in the long run. Who cares what you're on in burn as long as you can count to 20 faster. And if it takes 2 life and R to close out the game with a lavamancer shit that's what you gotta do

Ok let me make a list of why you are wrong.
1. You put out a bunch of creatures and yell bolt me
2. Hatebears is no good late game because white weenie is fucking garbo in modern
3. You wont see this shit on table 1 because despite its gq it still can't beat tron
4. Dicked on by searing blaze and burn
5. Dicked on by infect
6. Dicked on by elves
7. Dicked on by any control deck

Take your trash deck back to legacy

Yeah, and especially so if he's running fetches. Nothing sweeter than a T1 mana dork into a T2 Mindcensor in response to a fetch.

1 toughness creatures really shining in modern right? lol this trash

>That doesn't make sense, why would you need more cards to exile? Are you not casting enough burn spells?
>Are you not casting enough burn spells?
Maybe I am not. Just one of many reason to run Mancers

Except that none of that is true. Tron gets fucked by Tec Edge or Ghost Quarter with a search blocker, Thalia fucks control and burn, those other shits die to Path+search blockers, and your first two points mean nothing.

Man, you're salty as fuck. If you have no lands, what are you going to do about it?

But why aren't you?

List the cards that are relevant in certain match ups that if you don't see you'll die because your trash deck has no real win condition over than sucking your opponents dick until he goes soft

blue cont ftw

Infect. Been playing it for years now so it's my most practiced deck. It's also really good right now, although I've been thinking about breaking out good ol' Jund recently.

Every card in my deck is relevant. Meanwhile, you play this pile when you could be playing Naya Burn and actually winning.

what if they are stabilizing and you need that extra push? always look at worst possible scenario.

Infect is a respectable deck if you cheese. 10x better than that one fag who is trying to convince himself that hatebears is good and his 10 dollar aven mindcensor wasn't wasted fucking money he could have spent on some fucking foil delvers

>The question is in a diverse meta where everything is going to show up do i play Mono Red Burn or Blue Red Delver?

What?

Neither, you play neither OP. Burn is slightly the better deck but for an 80 player diverse meta you play Jund.

jund aka fag town.

That's the first good argument I've heard so far. Still, why not play Naya and get more use out of those fetches, while also getting Nacatls, Goyfs, and Atarka's Command?

Hatebears is actually fairly well positioned at the moment I think, though it's changed somewhat. There will be an optimal list featuring eldrazi before too long.

But what do I know I play Skred/white and go 3/1 every week at fnm and never get first.

>plays tier x
>laughs at tier 2
Show me where Ghost Quarter touched you.

Netdeckers=tier fags. I could take a mono green fucking stompy deck and shit on some tournament. Don't act like tier 1 beats tier 2 100% of the time

I didn't. I win with tier 2. You're the one who said that Hatebears was garbage because it's tier 2.

>hand is 2 mountains, 3 vatiety of bolts, guide, lavamancer
>T1 mountain, guide
>T2 mountain, lavamancer, bolt
>T3 bolt, activate lavamancer, whoops that was my whole graveyard because I was too cheap and fucking stupid to buy fetches
>MUH MATH AND SCIENCE DECK THINNING DOESN'T REAL SHUT UP SYNERGY DOESN'T MATTER I'LL JUST SHIT MY PANTS AND GET FREE WINS OFF OPPONENTS WHO WON'T TOLERATE THE SMELL

So here is whats up if you say tier automatically you're gay. So now that thats out of the way your shitty hatebear deck is gay because not because its tier 2 but because you are a white weenie faggot. Good luck at table 15+ shitting on some homebrew faggot who just shoots himself in the foot

I've never seen anyone this salty before, congratulations. Also, you drew a card each turn, you have two more burn spells in hand, your guide might be dead too. In that example, you have enough fuel.

I can't believe some retards are still trying to act like running fetch lands in mono red isnt good. You are a faggot if you dont run them end of story science straight up says your gay

No because you didn't have fetches thinning lids our you drew a bunch of mountains and flooded out

>if I call him a faggot, I win!

We already established that thinning isn't real, retard.

go turn your hatebears deck into a fucking burn deck and start winning /faggot/

jesus fucking christ
If you're running Grim Lavamancer you run fetches because he makes for something of a long game plan.
If you're not running Grim Lavamancer you are probably better off running basic mountains because deck thinning is negligible. Run one less mountain if you're paranoid about it.

>I'LL JUST SHIT MY PANTS AND GET FREE WINS OFF OPPONENTS WHO WON'T TOLERATE THE SMELL
Real talk that's a legit strategy. I'd concede at regular FNM to get out of playing with someone that smells like literal shit

Lol okay dude

If your lgs doesn't kick the fucking smelly fat fucks out why are you even going there

Bro i can't see you all the way back at table 16 while i'm posted up at 1 all day getting my free wins while getting blown by jesus