MTG Pauper General: Best Format Edition

Shitbrews Welcome.

>MTGO Pauper Guide
cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings

gotta try brew a temur Delver/Moongose

I want to make a top-tier pauper gauntlet. What are the must have decks? Looking for around 12 total to start with.

Sup nerds. Been considering getting into pauper with a few buddies. My are Elves and/or Vampires viable? I'm sure Elves must be, but pauper Vamps would be neat too.

Many thanks.

Lol 12 are you fucking stupid. Top tier is like 4 or 5 decks, just Modern and Standard.
Delver
Stompy
MBC
Affinity
Tron

Done.

Elves are very very viable. There are some Vampire shitbrews, nothing good. They tend to be too slow.

Top tier is around 5 or 6 decks... 12 decks is a little unreasonable to all be top tier.

Why do you keep making these threads if they keep dying and have literally no discussion? Pauper is unpopular for a reason.

It seems to me three colors is a little greedy for a deck that aggressive with the manabases available in pauper. I'd probably try for Simic Delver or Gruul tempo/burn.

Also, Gruul gains Kird Ape, which, like the Mongoose, sybergizes with Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse. Take a burn deck, throw in those and one of Stompy's better one drops, and you shluld be getting somewhere with making a Mongoose deck.

There was a surge last month and the threads were more active but they died out for no reason.

1-drops.dek then?

I made a thread a few days back asking on how to improve my combo goblin deck. This is the revised list, please feel free to voice your opinions on it
Creatures:
3x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Goblin War Marshal
4x Goblin Electromancer
2x Sparksmith
4x Goblin Matron
Instant/Sorcery:
4x Brightstone Ritual
3x Lighting Bolt
4x Preordain
1x Tarfire
4x Dragon Fodder
2x Krenko's Command
2x Battle Hymm
3x Distant Melody
Land:
4x Island
4x Swiftwater Cliffs
12x Mountain

Yeah, that's the direction I'd go with it. Higher number of spells than typical aggro decks to support the mongoose, so try to go for a few impactful creatures and lots of burn to clear blockers/burn face. Maybe Hooting Mandrills to help push the last bit of damage through blockers.

Keep Watch combos very nicely with the red Rites card, discard X to give +X/+0 to all your guys

That's an idea, but the picture is old. The list below he completely removed it for Preordain

That's an idea, but the picture is old. The list below he completely removed it for Preordain

I think we've just discussed all there was to discuss for the time. I ran out of shitbrews and out of things to say about whatever you're brewing.

Not much excitement from Eternal Masters either besides getting Mongoose

Post shitbrews

Nice. Is a single tarfire really worth it with the matrons? Wouldnt you just chain matrons into a bushwhacker? Got any play testing done?

Running delve and treshold is going to make for an insanely inconsistent deck.

Not him, but I've been playing around with RUG Delver for the past month and change, and in testing, 4 Mongoose, and 2 Mandrills seems okay. There have been plenty of games where I see one and not the other, or had to nuke the grave to push through a grindy game.

Of course, I am in no way a clever man.

Seems like werebear would be just better.

But Werebear doesn't have trample, does it?

I made a deck for this a while back when I realized I only needed to buy ~8 common cards to make an affinity deck. I love how you can have such synergy with just commons. And also that Atog was technically a common. I never thought about that before, but I'm rocking my OG antiquity and revised ones.

Building RUG Tron, any spicy sideboard tech I should include? The meta is mostly Delver Fiend, so CoP Red and Pyro/Hydroblast are already guaranteed.

The format is stable. It's cheap. No one has to get mad about banlists or the expense, and therefore does not talk about them. That's 99% of modern and standard threads.

>Not much excitement from Eternal Masters either besides getting Mongoose

Peregrine Drake is pretty sweet. Definitely nowhere near Cloud of Faeries power wise but it has potential because multiple Familiars actually do more work.

I always wanted to play a deck with Rogue Elephant and Harvest Wurm.

I've just made a MBC. I'm curious on the matchup against Mono-Blue, what cards should I sideboard?

Duress and Wrench Mind

Doesnt matter just play bounce spells

[Citation needed]

Hey kiddos, it's me, uncle Mark "MaRo" Rosewater, how about you show me them brews?

I might even downgrade a card to common for ya!

Mark pls go.

I just moved your favorite fun common to rare for that comment.

I've got 12 decks
>Mono U control
>Mono R Burn
>Mono G Stompy
>Mono W Soldiers
>Mono B Control
>Affinity
>UB Teachings
I'm actually considering taking this out. I think it's a miserable deck to play against. Might brew up DelverGoose like everyone else.
>Acid Trip
>Boros Kitty
>UR delverfiend
>Tortured Existence
>Midnight Gond

They're reasonably balanced, but I'm still tweaking main decks and sideboards so that there aren't such awful matchups as Mono W vs Burn where MonoW gets circle of protection or chains lone missionaries together.

I'm planning on just making the top meta, matchups be damned.

So you're trying to make a snapshot of the pauper meta of a specific point in time?
Why not make something that can evolve and become a self-contained game like a cube?

Mtgtop8 has pauper nowadays. You should check that out if you want a metagame breakdown.

Ugh fuck that. I'm going to keep them updated. You do realize that Pauper is an eternal format with almost no future bans in sight, right?

I'll also be able to pick any deck I want for Pauper times at local stores. Lol @ tuning decks to be good fun against each other. Just make a cube if you're going to do that.

FYI mtgtop8 is hilariously slow and doesn't update quick enough. MTG goldfish is much, much better.

>keeping up with the evolving meta for 12 decks
Man that sounds like a time sink.

Good luck with that, though. How are you going to do sideboards?
In fact, how are you going to keep decks updated? There are variations even day to day on both mtgtop8 and mtggoldfish for winning archetypes.

Correct, I'm not making 12 decks, I'm not an aspie. You just said yourself there are variations. Who gives a shit? The meta is set in stone besides the random Slivers or Soul Sisters.

I don't understand. are you the guy who wanted to make the 12 top pauper decks or some other lunatic?

add Bogles and it's fine

Some other. I'm making 5 mono color meta decks.

Pic related

Not as of yet with the new list. But the deck's main focus is making a lot of goblin tokens and even more mana off them. With that I can Matron into Matron until all four are out then with the last play a kicked Bushwhacker for 10 haste damage, plus what ever other goblins I'll have. All for around RRRRRR8 Witch isn't impossible with this deck. That and the 1 tarfire is just incase I need a burn spell and have Matron in hand, I was going to run 4 Bolts, but the ability to tutor for a burn spell is something that could help win me a game or buy me a turn

Drop goblin matron and add a Goblin Bushwhacker, add Goblin Grenade or other goblin.

Matron is definitely one of those replaceable questionable cards.

I'll keep that in mind while testing, but as it stands, Matron stands as a way to get what ever goblin card I'll need in the moment. It helps turn a dead draw into something that will help me win or play to an out

Why does nobody ever use the cycle lands?

That Smother should be Doom Blade, forgot Smother was uncommon.

Fuck I forgot Peregrine Drake also dropped on rarity. And Desperate Ravings! But I don't know where to jam it.

really want to try out elephant guide in a deck. Thinking some kind of sac value deck where I pump up the dudes for swings and if they're removed I get and Elephant. I just also really want to play Blind Zealot.

Dunno how useful it would be in auras though.

They do. It just makes you slower. Burn definitely uses them. Cycle sounds great, but they are really hit or miss. They lack consistency.

What do you guys think about running 4 Geth's Verdict and 1 Chainer's Edict for a MBC? I'm buying it on paper and when you lose the obuliette and 4 of Chainer's Edict it's like 20 bucks. Fuck paying that insane cost or obuliette.

For obuliette*

No deck boxes
In a vans shoebox.
user pls.
Pls.

I mean in theory he's 2 3/3s for GGG. I don't know why he wouldn't be used.

What cool ass case can I get for my deck boxes here? Pirate Labs is expensive but I think it will be worth it. Think it would be ok without the foam?

Scratch that... I'm buying the foam and making a custom wood enclosure. Vans box get BTFO.

fuck you m8 I'll smash you with any one of my decks.

I'm thinking of putting elephant guide into Midnight Gond.
4x Commune + 4x Heliod's Pilgrim means there is some good aura synergy going already, and elephant guide on a Pilgrim means it's a reasonable threat for once. As the curve pretty much ends at 3 it'll be no trouble slotting it in.

Hello you! It's me again! I've got Delver, Stompy, Goblins, MBC and White Tokens under the belt, and was planning for Affinity, Bogles and Tron but ended up on a bender and put Elves together, as well as a homebrew of BG Aristocrats.

I spent good money on pic related, sits nicely on the shelf like a grimoire.

Those only hold like 3 deck boxes and cost 70 bucks lol

What are you talking about, they hold like 10 decks at least.

I bought the larger one. It was at a Con so it was discounted to 70.

..... they literally hold 3 Legion 120 card boxes. No room for play mats or accessories and super overpriced.

Much better options at that price point.

S-sure thing friendo? I know you're right, there are more efficient options, but I really like the design of this one.

Where pauper EDH belongs? Pauper threads or EDH threads?

People discuss it in both. More people will probably see your post in the edh thread, though.

Even then I think /edh/ looks down upon pauper edh.

Not as much as on Tiny Leaders. People will post their decks and pretty frequently have one Pauper Commander deck among like 5 normal EDH decks. You probably won't get too much discussion aside from people complaining that it's too durdly, but you don't get the active hate that Tiny Leaders does.

I'm running a GW auras deck. I'm worried about the match up against burn. I usually start gainning life around turn 3, but it's not always that I'm able to draw Armadillo Cloak. What should I side to make the match up easier?

Feed the clan

Elephant Guide goes in everything green that is not auras. Just because Totem Armor auras allows you to keep the creature with protection instead of losing all your other auras to get a 3/3.
You should look into decks that focus on getting +1/1 counters or just Stompy.

I need sideboard advice, i bought this list today to play on MTGO

17 Island
4 Counterspell
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Deprive
1 Dispel
3 Mana Leak
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Oona's Grace
4 Preordain
2 Prohibit
2 Piracy Charm
4 Think Twice
3 Void Snare
1 Unsummon
1 Negate
4 Quicksand
4 Spire Golem

I have only played once against burn, won g1, lost g2 and surrendered on g3 cuz mana screwed. unknown meta

Board hydroblasts obviously.

My MonoU has Deprive, hydroblast and grave hate as well as them spirits with undying in case I need to shift aggro or get some hard-to-remove creatures.

I don't know what you're on about, Pauper has been picking up a fair amount of steam in the mainstream, it's just unconducive for shitposting since this is a healthy format where you don't have to shell out top bucks for the top decks, eliminating arguments of whether it's worth it to mortgage one's house for better matchups and Force of Will/ Tarmogoyf; and in addition, brewers get a much more lenient pass. So we just chill out most of the time and have little to say.

Some decks do, but mosr pauper decks already havea lot of one-drops.

MBC and Jeskai Kuldotha plays cycle lands.

Elephant guide can most likely just get jammed straight into Stompy

The box looks very nice

Who cares you turbo, they guys happy with the purchase

Elephant guide has been legal since Vintage Masters