mediafire.com/folder/m599kv9qzesna/Ampney_Crucis
mediafire.com/folder/gbgh92bt4239u/Necronauts
mediafire.com/folder/ptvzaiey8ro5u/Leviathan
youtube.com/watch?v=yVLWz3b0yrc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>didn't put the reading in the OP
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

A good playlist about the gods and other entities of Lovecraft: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-aprpylMuCdnaFEYwTzAobqUZGxS1D5p

Iä! Iä!
Ai fuckhthg'd uph dhath.
Shur-rh'i!

This shit is good

Yupp.
The guy just posted a new video about the Dreamlands.
Good stuff.

Kek, it's surprisingly good.
Thanks user!

So let's talk about cults Veeky Forums. What sort of behaviors, rituals and goals would you expect from cults devoted to each of the outer gods?

Of the top of my head:
>Azathoth: nihilists who believe that the universe is pointless due to just being his dream, whereas if he wakes up he can create a new universe with purpose and meaning. They're wrong obviously but it keeps them going.

The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets put in a surprising amount of effort considering they sing like 90% lovecraft related songs. They got people to translate stuff to middle egyptian for the song about Nyarlathotep and had mathematicians make sure their math was right for The Math Song which is just some extended equation they sing along to.

Shub-Niggurath is supposed to be the most commonly worshiped outer god, usually worshiped as "a kind of sophisticated Astarte", as Lovecraft put it. In other words, a fertility deity. I'd assume most of her cults would be similar to actual cults dedicated to gods associated with fertility and agriculture. Think druids. While some of the cults dedicated to her might have some grand plan or ideology, the majority of them are probably just a bunch of farmers offering her sacrifices to ensure good harvest and many children. Sacrificing people to her dark young (which are effectively treated as proxies/avatars of the outer god) is often mentioned as part of the cults' rituals.

Yog-Sothot, on the other hand, is primarily associated with knowledge in all forms, particularly forbidden knowledge like magic or mythos lore. His worshipers would likely mostly consist of people wishing to learn magic and other secrets of the universe, although some people might worship him just because he's, well, a capital G God (omniscient, omnipotent, the works). I imagine any rituals associated with the cults would vary a lot, but probably involve complex patterns and higher-dimensional mathematics.

Wouldn't Cthulhu be the most worshipped High Priest, almost god-like, because of mainstream culture?

the in the Lovecraft universe the Lovecraft books aren't published.

That probably would have started a nuclear war or something.

finished it recently. the ending is amazing but the middle is tedious. I do find amusing the role of the cats.

>and so i tumbled senselessly through the night, the putrid, faceless, slimy, quavering blubber after me, with ears pieced by that leprous, diabolical, dreadful, immense anarchy that were their antediluvian cries.
>and then some kitties saved me and I shook their pawses
>meow

Also, I've been going through all Lovecraft fiction chronologically and dream quest has so many damn references.

Kuranes was my favorite part, meeting him again after Celephais. Even if it's a blatant rip-off of Dunsany's work.

>They got people to translate stuff to middle egyptian for the song about Nyarlathotep and had mathematicians make sure their math was right for The Math Song which is just some extended equation they sing along to.

Pretty impressive, to be honest.
Never heard about them before, tho.

Nyarlathotep's Cultists pretty much live by Nyarlathotep's ideals of shits and giggles and when they aren't helping Nyarly outwith a scheme he's just partying with them. They are eternal hedonists. (This doesn't include the Church of Starry Wisdom or the Brotherhoods of the Black Pharaoh/Beast)

>ywn join Nyarlathotep's cults
>ywn be the ideal of shits and giggles
>ywn party with your god
>ywn be an eternal hedonist

So basically
>ywn live deliciously

WHY EVEN LIVE?!

Everything reinforces it, Nyarlathotep is best Outer God

So what's your favourite Lovecraft's story? I'm partial to Cool Air myself, though Mountains of Madness is pretty great as well.

Color from Outer Space

Also we haven't mentioned best Great Old One once, Y'go is toppest tier

Whoops, it's The Colour Out of Space

Music of Erich Zann was pretty good. The only that was legit creepy

Who else /GoT/ here

Colour, mountains and herbert west.

tl;dr?

tl;dr Euron Greyjoy is an insane pirate who has been hoarding artifacts and trophies to conquer the world with. His feats includes raping his little brother, hanging priests and mages off of the bow of his ship, and drinking a blue-tinted psychedelic potion enough for his skin to turn blue-ish and his lips to turn black. He has also been to Valyria, and returned with a suit of armor, making him the only man in the known world to wear Valyrian armor.

Also apparently Deep Ones exist in GoT universe.

So, I'm working on a concept for a Delta Green campaign shamelessly ripping off God's Teeth, but there it is.

Under the town of Olney, Oregon, is a temple of an ancient, pre-human deity strongly associated with hunting. Every so often a drunken teen or a backpacker, nature-lover etc wanders into the cave, looks at the weird paintings, maybe picks up a cool rock and leaves. Since Olney is kind of a dead town notable only for some cool cliffs, kids from Olney tend to leave and most nature lovers are tourists, so they'll leave Olney entirely. Except they don't leave alone. Now they serve the hunter, for they have picked one of his weapons to hunt with.

The hunter is, of course, Nodens. The problem is that Nodens wants you to hunt. Ideally, he wants you to hunt extra-terrestrial things - the idea being that Nodens is one of the "native" gods of the world, like Bast, whereas much of the Mythos is alien in nature. Even if you don't encounter the extra-terrestrial, Nodens wants you to HUNT. And he tells you this. Over and over. In your dreams, in our waking life.

So, people touched by Nodens almost invariably snap and kill. Some become serial killers, others just look like it's a case of "suddenly, Aunt Julia just had enough and grabbed her gun". Eventually, someone in a criminal statistics project works out that there's a remarkable preponderance of serial killers from Olney - or who have passed through Olney at some point in their life. Enough of these serial killers have been tangential to the Mythos (Nodens getting lucky and having you kill someone with Deep One blood, for instance) that DG is interested and dispatches a cell to Olney to investigate.

Thoughts on that premise?

Yeah, they're one of the pre-human races. They probably made the Labyrinth on Essos and the Seastone Chair on the Iron Islands. (When the First Men reached the Iron Islands, that throne was already fucking there.)

Also, Leng is totally a place in Essos.

So is Carcosa.

Gurm just filled the regions he'll never write about (East of the free cities) With Lovecraftian stuff.

>Carcosa

erry tiem

youtube.com/watch?v=NdjKXlEEeR0

is this thread exclusively lovecraftian horror?

or will cosmic horror work here fine?
like bloodborne?

You know I played that recently and it's gotten me curious about Lovecraft and cosmic horror.

how much have you read?

Depends.

There is an RPG called Call of Cthulhu, so let's say that's the basis of / for this thread + Lovecraftian lore.

But honestly, I think we can discuss any kind of "eldritch horror" here, so yeah: we can talk about stuff like bloodborne.

After all, who knows?
Maybe one of us will use the info from this thread in a game.

There you go: youtube.com/watch?v=7-XRAJfTAMY

>Maybe one of us will use the info from this thread in a game.
that would be me again...

I want my setting to be more cosmic horror-fantasy than it is...it feels like it's missing something that I can find if I look at lovecraft hard enough

The Necronomicon(As in the book not a story about the book), Dagon, The Nameless City, The Hound.

>Necronomicon(As in the book

youtube.com/watch?v=7RV6htNDTwI&list=PLCbN-op7qL6dg9T8S43Vb787nwYJRMViG

here are several stories read by a FANTASTIC NARRATOR

add them to your list of read books.

Yeah I know it wasn't a very good read but somewhat interesting.
Thanks

Er, which Necronomicon did you read?

Tyson's Necronomicon, the Simon Necronomicon, or one of the others?

Dazed, reeling, about to break.

Has anyone read (or, even better, does anyone have (links to)) those 2000 AD comics which had really Lovecraftian themes? An user was dumping them on Veeky Forums a while ago.

The first was called Leviathan, and was about a giant ship getting sucked into another universe by Hastur (who was a demon trapped aboard it). The second was about a British nobleman/paranormal detective who'd seen and been marked by an eldritch abomination (I think also called Leviathan - it shared a multiverse with the first story) in the First World War.

He also dumped some issues of a comic which was less Lovecraftian about paranormal police/detectives in modern day London.

Was not aware there was more than one, still new too this, I think it was the Simon Necronomicon.

Oof yeah, that's a piece of shit and a half.

A misshmash of mythos and mesopotamian magic, merged into a medley of madness.

So is Kadath (K'dath)

Slaine from 2000AD I find to be a perfect medely of Lovecraftian horror and ancient celtic apocrypha. That as well as some of the Conan stories in particular, like the Heart of Yag-Kosha, the Serpent and the Ibis or The God in the Bowl.

>Eldritch Horror General
>most boring boardgame of all
>I'd rather play talisman for a week than touch this piece of shit

No love for Nodens?

I've always enjoyed these types of threads, but I've never read any of Lovecraft's work. The link at the top of this thread gives me access to what seems like all of his writings. I'm wondering, where should I start?

Can anyone point me to stories in particular that I should read? What will give me an understanding of this crazy universe and its multitudes of gods and aliens and monsters?

Probably the best stories that give you history while still being stories would be Mountains of Madness and Shadow out of Time.

Read your thing and I have a few suggestions; your were probably already thinking it but have the stones be like early chipped stone weapon heads.

Second, I wouldn't have it as serial killers, maybe throw one or two in for options, but I would rather leave it vague, say like alot of people of live in or pass through Olney suddenly die in odd or supernatural fashion, either in places they shouldn't be [hunting something horrific] or suddenly surprised and set on by something queer [perhaps some adversary/s awakened to them by their Nodenic connection.]. Point being to leave more mystery to it, whilst having threads that you can pick up later in the opposite direction.

Other than that, Its a really sound idea.

Mountains of maddness, Shadow out of time, The strange case of charles dexter ward and The Dunwich Horror are all good places to start with the Lovecraft stuff.

On EldritchDark, I would also massively reccomend all the Hyperborean stories by Clark Ashton Smith, which are also on there; starting with Testament of Athammaus or the Tale of Semptra Zairos.

Other than Lovecraft, does anyone have favorite Mythos authors?

Why don't they just hunt some deer? Serial killers aren't really hunters anyway.

The stone arrow/spear heads is definitely the idea, club heads and so on.

Yeah, not all are serial killers - many commit suicide or look like psychotic schizophrenics (voices in the head telling them to KILL THE WHORES) but serial killers are actually pretty rare, so even a handful al coming from a small town like Olney is statistically weird.

Nodens doesn't care what you hunt, just fucking hunt. So yeah go feral, kill deer, why not. But if you live in a city? Where you don't see a deer? And then you get into "deadliest game" territory.

Also, Nodens in this interpretation is a spirit associated with this world who hates alien influence so hunting and killing, say, cultists, people who have been mind-whammied by the many aliens of the Mythos etc. The reason Olney is on the coast is because the natives were actively waging war against the Deep Ones of the Pacific, and their alien master. So Cthulhu cultist? KILL THE WHORE. Hastur cultist? KILL THE WHORE. Miskatonic librarian who has read the wrong book? KILL THE WHORE NODENS DONT PLAY THAT GAY BOOK SHIT Eventually someone with a persistent and supernatural homicidal impulse in their heads is going to... Be un-right in the head.

They don't have to be serial killers to murder user.

Maybe the town just has an abnormal murder rate. Or maybe it's biker gang territory.

The Call of Cthulhu
It's all their, alien gods, cults, Necronomicon.

It's not the town as a whole, it's specifically people who have been touched by a common factor that happens to be based near Olney. The bikers would only be more likely to kill if they had at some point been in the cave.

I've already said they aren't all serial killers, user. Several times actually.

God bless Shakaranon

mediafire.com/folder/m599kv9qzesna/Ampney_Crucis

mediafire.com/folder/gbgh92bt4239u/Necronauts

mediafire.com/folder/ptvzaiey8ro5u/Leviathan

Fucking based. Cheers user.

Moreover, Euron is probably the ultimate bad guy of the series, to be opposed by the ultimate good goal, Danaerys.

>ultimate good
>Whore of dragons
Jorah pls

Everyone knows it's JonSnu

There is no place in Oregon that is not Portland that is more than 5 miles from a herd of deer.

And if you read the main post you'd know that Olney is the sort of place no-one STAYS - kids graduate high school and leave for college or find a job somewhere with a non-shitty economy. So these people are operating all over the state, the country, maybe one or two going international.

Thanks!

I never read any of this shit in the books. Is it in that compendium of knight's stories?

GRRM recently came out with two new excerpts from his next book, the stuff mentioned about Aeron and Euron are from one of those excerpts.

August Derleth

That last one sounds like Rivers of London, more urban fantasy than horror.

I'd also recommend 2000ad strips Cabalistics inc and Absalom

Oh, guess I would have figured that out if I looked at the graphic, which I didn't.

What would be more fun?
>Starting out with a generally mundane Delta Green opera investigating a spate of "possessions" of children in a town, and turning into Read The Demon A Bedtime Story or Get Raped In Hell For All Eternity
or
>Wherein An Opera Goes Horribly Wrong As Agents Stumble Into The Network from Utopia's plans seriously dude massive spoilers for Utopia ok don't say i didn't warn you to sterilize everyone on the planet

Are you trying to tell me Bloodborne isn't Lovecraftian in the extreme?

Option no. 2 seems far mkre interesting to me

Daenerys is not the ultimate good guy, because she's pro-violence. GRRM is super, super, anti-war and any character that wants to use war for good is gonna have it come back and slap them in the face.

There was a PoV chapter with said brother associating creaking doors with Euron with all that implies. His intro had him drink the same stuff those priests or whoever Danny met that turned their lips blue. I vaguely remember the whole bit about hanging priests off the bow, he did boast about going to Valyria, and I don't know if there was any mention of valyrian armor.

Do you know how The Network operates?
They're kinda like DG if instead of protecting humanity, they were more concerned with protecting the earth.
And yes, that means similar methods. Though The Network are (if Alphonse's Axioms are thought of as canon) a lot more willing to torture and murder innocents simply because they may have heard a snippet of something about a person they're interested in.

Also it would be very interesting to see how the two agencies would interact, and how they'd run into each other.

I imagine that DG agents raided a Network safehouse under the impression they were a cult of some sort

But no, they're the Network/

And o shit, Kestrel, you done fucked up bad

>Utopia actually takes place in the Lovecraft mythos
I can fucking dig it.

>this triggers the everybody

I'd need a hand in fleshing it out and knowing how not to desecrate the awesome IPs as I am a first time GM and want to do something cool and marvellous.

None of my players have watched Utopia, but I've given them the DG Agent's guide to read.

youtube.com/watch?v=yVLWz3b0yrc

Can Eldritch horror be sexy

In a sufficiently fucked up ie gurochan sort of way, yes, I imagine.

See Y'golonac

the fact that the great old ones give such a shit about earth and that the grandsons of yog-sothoth and shub-nigurath (Cthulhu and Tsathoggua) are located on earth seems to be in defiance of the very cosmic insignificance they are supposed to represent. and an octopus headed dragon winged giant is really way too geocentric for the 4th generation descendant of Azathoth, who dreams the universe itself.

The only I an think out of this is if nug and yub have literally billions or more of spawn out their in the universe.

They probably do actually.

It's because Nyarly parties on Earth and all the Eldritch Abominations wanna be hip.

is true detective season 1 had hastur?

Yes, illiterate one, True Detective referenced Hastur

Question

Would it be in your opinion a total break in the spirit of Lovecraftian horror to invent or use a "god" or mythos being that is sympathetic or at least helps humanity against the horror in some way even in super small amounts?

I know of the elder gods but everyone seems divided on them.

I guess its somewhat comforting that even in a horrific setting, someone out there has got your back. Or at least can be bargained and doesnt cause you to go insane the moment you speak to it.

The Network has been infiltrated by a surviving member of the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Arrested and taken to a black site following the 1928 raid by the U.S. Government on Innsmouth, the immortal half-Deep One was interrogated and experimented on. After either escaping or proving useful/charismatic enough to be released (quite possibly with the help of sorcery), he disappeared amidst the government officials surrounding him and wormed his way into the high ranks who deal with the secretive, diabolical stuff. He covered up his existence by erasing documents, killing certain individuals and delaying his transformation into a full Deep One via chemical and sorcerous means. Eventually finding his way into The Network, he plans on going ahead with their plan to sterilise the human race; The Network doesn't know that, while Janus will prevent humans from succesfully breeding with each other, it will do nothing to humanity's ability to interbreed with the Deep Ones. Once humanity is sterilised, the Deep Ones will basically have free reign to rape themselves into a position of superiority on Earth.
The Network, using their sleeper agents and subliminal messaging in world media, is poking humanity towards a series of actions that play a part in a mass ritual to Shub-Niggurath, which will briefly attract the attention of the deity with a Thousand Young and render the majority of the human race infertile.

I still feel the need for an explanation as to why they look so normal.

Cephalopod have only existed for 500 million years or so, hominids for only around 5 million

Cthulhu has been around for several billion and is so closely related to the outer gods that such a simple form hardly seems to make sense.

even if we look like Cthulhu and not the other way around, why did it take so long for us and so much shorter for cephalopods?

>I guess its somewhat comforting that even in a horrific setting, someone out there has got your back.
lame
>Or at least can be bargained and doesnt cause you to go insane the moment you speak to it.
not lame

There are a few, even Nyarlathotep can be reasoned with.

Nodens would be your best bet

I mean, that's the perspective of the cultists isn't it? The Gods grant them favour and freedom and what have you, so in their eyes the Gods are good. At the same time, so of the Gods might think they're doing good, and some people see it that way, but most people don't. I always got the feeling Shub-Niggurath was supposed to be creepy in an clingy mothering way.

Similarly, in a setting I'm working on the Elder Gods aren't "good" per se, but they're more easily understood and better liked by humans than their enemies. They're organic, emotional, and disturbingly familiar. Like the womb, slimy but also homey.

He doesn't, our mind just perceives him that way.

Nodens seemed pretty chill actually.

Sure, he steals your soul forever to ride with him, but that's a pretty fair deal.

but it isn't lovecraftian, it's a cosmic horror setting, everyone confuses it with being lovecraftian because Lovecraft did it best first.

and I asked that as a lead in to bring up my homebrew so I could find things to add in, or ideas to steal.

What's the difference?

Actual question though, I'm not trying to be a dick, just wondering what your distinction is.