Pathfinder General

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Modernized Armies Edition.

How would a troop of highly-organized commoners armed with modern firearms deploying troop formations fare against the army of a lich or a dragon?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Ultimate Equipment Errata (updated 5/19): paizo.com/products/btpy8tmc?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Ultimate-Equipment

Please search for the unerrata'd content here: web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1GrZhcxD2ytHcHlFy1D5Xb89DhF8x8WFK5epV7yZrd20/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>concrete sword

Laugh at it all you want, but that lady is wielding something that should easily weigh half a ton with only one hand.

>army of a lich?
Well, that depends on the type of undead the lich is using. Against zombies (which are a bad idea because zombies kinda suck) they'd do terribly, as their DR would absorb at least half the bullets and they don't charge, so the pikemen are useless.

Against skeletons, though? Their DR is bypassed by Bludgeoning. That's one of the two damage types bullets do. the peasants would even be able to handle fairly large, scary monsters as long as they can keep their morale up.

the trick is that AoEs and morale would be the largest problems. As soon as the lich realizes this, he'll send a few undead mages or something after the peasants. that's where the heroes come in, I suppose.

>dragon?
Er... dragon's probably gonna die, or close to it, depending on how old it is. they have really fucking low touch AC - the only saving grace is they have DR/Magic when they get old enough. but then, once again, that's where the heroes come in.

honestly, a lot of classic "really big and scary" monsters are laid low by the simple firing line. Hydras, chimeras, minotaurs, horde of ogres, horde of orcs, an evil druid's animal army, pack of werewolves, and so on. Any sort of DR tends to make it harder to deal with the monster in question, but with a D12 damage die, a good number of the muskets are still going to do a fair amount of damage to a solitary creature.

How many tons of wheat do I need to feed the population of 600 people for a month?

How much wheat can be store in 1 downtime storage?

>concrete sword

With modern firearms, the civilians can do fairly well by spreading out to avoid AoE mass kills.

What they need to look out for is ethereal bastards and wights and the like, those are problematic.

Dragons get their AC bypassed by guns, so they're pretty badly torn up if they go in without suspecting anything, but if they are, the easiest way to deal with ranged troops is a whole lot of obscuring mist, and strafe the entire area with flame breath.

>Modern
No need for that. Early is enough to lay low most bigass monsters, and those things that would bypass said muskets entirely is too much for advanced or modern ones anyways.

>How many tons of wheat do I need to feed the population of 600 people for a month?
Dunno

>How much wheat can be store in 1 downtime storage?
A week if its crops. A month if you ground the wheat into flour for bread.

>pixiv fantasia
once again, I am crushed to find that yet another fantasy anime image is part of a setting that exist only as a collection of art.

1lb of flour is 2cp right? Is it cheaper to just buy flour instead of wheat?

>someone actually made a Novel and Worldbuilding and Lore project of Pixiv Fantasia but you have to be sufficiently Japanese to understand it.

Yep. Unless you yourself is a farmer, you don't "buy" crops like wheat. You buy the processed product i.e. flour.

>tfw I want to make an NPC who fights like that
Do you think my players will hit me with a book for making such a weeb enemy?

I don't care if this shit looks retardly edgy, I wish it was a real anime thing
like an edgy scaflowne
instead is just a set of pics in pixiv

I'm not going to actually buy them, I will create them with Marvelous Pigment

Feeding a town of 600 people for a month would needs... around 35 tons of food? That's like... 700gp of flour..

So, what, a Reactor Knight being shown having a better chance of survival - or at least a longer survival time - against, what, a spellcaster summoning dancing weapons or something?

What is this from? Is it any good?

>asphaltmancer

The most *useless* medieval wizard school EVER

>"In a few years, i'll show you what i can do! I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!"

H-hey /pfg/ I-I'm back with my homebrew and I tried to balance it this time.

What do you think?

docs.google.com/document/d/1GrZhcxD2ytHcHlFy1D5Xb89DhF8x8WFK5epV7yZrd20/edit?usp=sharing

Telekinesis. Bam.

I got bored halfway through reading sorry man I'm too high for this but it loosk okay????

Serpentine:

Tier 1: In Monster Form, you lose your arms and legs and grow a size, but your reach remains 5ft. You gain a bite attack with the grab special quality that deals 1d8+STR damage if you’re large. You also gain constrict as a free mutation that deals 1d8+STR damage as a large creature.

Tier 2: In Monster Form, you grow a size and receive +2 STR and +2 DEX, and so your constrict deals damage as appropriate for its size. You are treated as an aberration.

Tier 3: In Monster form, you grow another size and receive another +2 STR and DEX.

So, you grow a total of three sizes up to Gargantuan from Medium?

Yes. Tier 3 happens at level 15, though.

>In addition, you take 10 less damage when receiving piercing or slashing damage.

That's called "DR 10/Bludgeoning".

I dislike how literally all options make you BIG.
What about staying medium or even becoming smaller?

It's supposed to stack with other DR. Too powerful?

Yeah, now that you mention it I should add that in. Any ideas?

Stacking DR is a bad idea in general due to being too strong in most cases. Just don't.

As for sizes - I'd like Hybrid to let you stay at Large with undersized weapons, kinda like a Marilith (which is essentially that), allowing for a cool DEX snakegirl.

>snakegirl

I like the idea

>Any ideas?
Maybe an insectoid form where you start off without size changes, reduce one size at tier 2 and reduce another size at tier 3.
Become the mosquito.

Is that you, Curse?

No_

What the fuck is this?

Why is there a maid fighting a giant mech?

Why does this remind me of that thing with the guy that can control vectors?

Hey what are some 1st level spells (or 0th or 2nd) that would be better if they had better saves on them?

I've been give the opportunity to make a few low level wands (any class) with high spell DCs

>Stacking DR is a bad idea

But that's wrong, you bleach-chugging retard. DR is shit explicitly because it doesn't stack, and because it's almost never in large enough amounts to be worth it past level 1.

Well, the real issue is that there really isn't a line between where it's worth it and when it's oppressively powerful.

Its an anime calles keykou senjou no horizon, and yes there are tits, big tits, maids and mechs beating the shit out of each other.

it has great fights and soundtrack though

not good, not bad either

Weirdly enough, snowball. Ranged touch attack, save or be staggered, and at high levels, "Stagger" against many very large monsters and basically any non-PoW martial (and then some of them too) is a death sentence.

Hello /pfg/.

Am I the only one who thinks that the randomization of the mystic's and the warpath follower's maneuvers is meh?

I'm usually OK with minigames inside the game, but this one irks me as unnecessarily tedious to handle for very little flavour outcome.

It irks a lot of people, and there's honestly little to no reason for it. It's about the same as the "You cannot prepare more than one of the same maneuver" rules in terms of stupidity.

Any dragon with Scintillating Scales can give them a run for their money.

Although to be honest the scariest thing about a dragon isn't the dragon itself, but the treasure it covets to use against it's enemies. Most GMs don't play that enough to their credit and just have them attack like dumb Wyverns.

With that and improved stalwart, you already have DR 20.
If you can stack it further to, like, DR 30, that gives you essentially immunity to martials, even at higher levels, which is bullshit.

I'll agree on the dragon maintaining a wealth of minions and holdings to use against uppity adventurers, but I'd like to point out that Scintillating Scales is a 3.5 spell, not Pathfinder.

With that and improved stalwart at like level 11+, you have DR 20-30.

At level 11.

If your character seriously can't do >30 damage in an attack at that level, then either you're fucking awful at building characters, or you're in a hilariously lower power game. Like, goddamn, man. Fix your shit.

First off that stalwart only works when doing the Total Defense action. So it's shitty.

It's doubly shitty because DR 30/- on total defense still means power-attackers are smashing your face in for maybe half their damage per swing anyways.

It also only stacks with that of class features, not items,etc.

So you'd have DR 10/Bludgeoning
OR
DR 10/- Improved Stalwart
And say you had 10/- as a barbarian, that's 20 on full defense, except you're being hit for something like 3d6+24+1d6+1d6 and you're not even hitting back.

I know that, but you should also know most 3.5 spells can be implemented in PF with little to no problem at all. Considering they're hardly different from one another at their core.

Yeah you should probably be hitting for around 50+ per by then.

Best way to build a half-giant zen archer?

I used to think DR applied to every instance of damage. Like if a level 20 something fighter with dr 5 got hit with a +5 Weapon of Flaming for example.

He would reduce 5 from the weapon die, 5 from the flaming die, 5 from the enchantment, 5 from the damage stat, etc. Oh boy was I wrong, and oh boy was I mad.

>Benefit: While using the total defense action, fighting defensively action, or Combat Expertise,
>or Combat Expertise

Not that it matters though, since as pointed out, if it saves your life the one attacking you was a fucking retard who doesn't know how to hit shit good.

Be that as it may, Pathfinder is a different beast at this point, and many GMs I've run into refuse to run 3.5 spells.

But eh, I don't think any more needs to be said on the matter.

>every enemy is a raging two-handed barbarian with a +5 greatsword.

I'll just point out a Tarrasque deals an average of 20-ish damage with each attack. It's also neither bludgeoning nor able to pierce DR/-.

If he can hit you good then you're not defending good. Presumably with combat expertise you would probably be using combat maneuvers to neuter the enemy's damage, and a miss chance of some kind.

They're hardly different at their core level which was my actual point though. Hope that cleared things up at least.

And then everyone plays any kind of class from PoW that all have stupid low level maneuvers and/or boosts that give them stuff that bypasses DR in any shape or form.

Initiators aren't martials, user.

Yes they are.

And then the caster cast's a spell that morphs their shit into something that ignores the DR.

Or uses energy attacks

Or the barbarian just fucking cleaves through it or pulls out a weapon that ignores it.

The definition of martials is "classes without nice things". Initiators have nice things, therefore they aren't martials.

Nothing can ignore the dr, it's untyped which is kinda the point of the feat.

Energy attacks, or SoD would ignore them though yes.

An extra limbs mutation would be nice.

Please enlighten me, what levels are spells that "morph their shit" into things that do that, or energy attacks sans magic missile that will be anywhere close to the damage a retardstrong initiator does on the same levels. Not even going to comment on the barbarian bit because he needs to be fucking god of barbarians to cleave through that dr to even be halfway close to the damage those assholes do.

Climb, Swim, and Burrow are all pieces of shit.
10ft, really?
That's much worse than fly right near them.

The tarrasque easily deals 30+ on several attacks, DOES NOT INCLUDE POWER ATTACK IN THE BASELINE DAMAGE CALCULATIONS, has a crit mod of x3 with a 15-20 threat on it's bite, and has several abilities that deal non-physical or mixed damage, on top of massively strong defensive abilities.

So, I mean, you might want to not be a retard and actually read the fucking statline you're trying to talk about.

Climb for sure, but Swim and Burrow can accomplish things Fly cannot.

Probably around level 10 ish, given that decent blaster sorerer can push upwards of 100 points of damage with a good fireball. A Psion with Empower Power and Split Psionic Ray could probably push similar numbers assuming you aren't trying to compare it to Primal Fury pounce monster.

Climb moved down to level 1 mutation, Swim and Burrow buffed to 20ft base +10ft upgrade.

Fly's a lot stronger than the rest but it costs 3 mutations, so it's not all bad.

Eh, whatever.
A Balor with Power Attack included has an average damage of 30 on his sword.

And on what levels does an intiator of most schools get to bypass all DR with his maneuvers more times per day than a caster, due to having basically infinite maneuvers, that he needs only refresh? Not even going to go into question with the primal fury-pounce bullshit since a player in my group that's been transforming into a dire cat's been doing 100+ damage per charge from like level 8,

What do you think about starfinder?

A Balor also has a shitload of SLAs like At-Will Dominate Monster, Greater Dispel Magic, Telekinesis, Power Word: Stun, uses of Implosion, the ability to summon a CR 19 Demon of it's choosing with 100% reliability, and the ability to grapple people without getting grappled itself.

It's a threat because of it's abilities, not because of it smacking you with a sword.

Level 3, actually. Devastating Rush, out of Primal fury, is one of the first things you can get that ignores DR and Hardness, and it's a level 2 maneuver.

Starfinder looks interesting, and i'm willing to give it the benefity of the doubt until they prove to me their incompetence once more. At very worst, though, we'll be getting a variety of new set pieces, equipment, and magic we can cherry pick and backport to standard Pathfinder, like we already do with more than half the books that come out.

As such, i'm not worried about it being bad in the least. I'm just hoping it'll be good.

Level 3, but given that DR is basically a non factor at that point for anyone who should be doing damage anyway. It's not that bad. They're mostly strikes, so an initiator could probably be doing even more devastating shit than using a +2d6 strike by the time bullshit with DR 30/- comes online.

/pfg/, what stuff would you want to see in a western themed game?

Cowboys

You are aware that means something very different around here, right?

Tell me what you think about this idea /pfg/?
It's a modern game where the players investigate a mysterious disappearance in the woods
They see a number of staircases, with no accompanying house, just staircases and most seem to be of a spiralling design

They see other odd unsettling things

They discover the hatch for an underground bunker, which they descend and it turns out to be a cathedral of metal

There are windows but the Vistas they see are planets and stars

Turns out they've been transported onto a derelict ship in the deep reaches of space

And that's when the horrifying fun starts

Why are you pathfindering that.
Why.

That is our question.

Why would that in pathfinder.

Why.

Why.

Why.

Yo /pfg/, I need to confirm a few things. Warlock's Mystic Bolts are obviously magical, but it doesn't say anything about being an SLA or triggering Magic Resist on the SRD, at least that I could see. It also doesn't say anything about how it interacts with swarms.Trying to look at all the ways to modify shit in little ways without just slapping bigger numbers on.

Maybe it does to you, but I recognize it as a mounted vagrant that herds cattle to cattle cities.

I'd hate to say that I agree with , but he's right.

Not the right system for it, sadly.

You need not hate it.
It's not a bad idea, just not the right system.

It wouldn't even really fit spelljammer, and you can't have 'horror' themes be nearly as effective with the power scaling in things like Pathfinder.

Too easily deadly for simple ones such as Call of Cthulhu characters, obviously, but somewhere in the environs of HARP or 5e might be appropriate.

Starfinder, lad. This is what it does.

It won't. It won't work for that at all.
It won't work for that any better than pathfinder does, even though it's probably going to be an AP in it.

You MIGHT be able to pull it off with the level of power in d20 modern, but for the d20 system that's about it.

Can someone help me with feats for my lv 7 eldricht archer? So far I've got Point-blank shot, Arcane strike, Empower spell and Deadly aim

Intensify that shit, yo

>taking empower before intensify
>no rapid shot

Oh shit nigga what are you doing. Arcane strike is an acceptable choice. What's your most-used spell?

What system would you recommend?
I have done ideas using pf though sadly

:^) although I might get some mileage out of the technology guide

Any rocket scientist or physic pro in here?

My Fire Kineticist just got her Greater Flame Jet. What is the fastest way to travel long distance (around 200 miles) with this ability?

Is it better to just travel in horizontal line (at 120 feet per round) or is it faster to go up and let the gravity help me?

Repostan because I didn't get any responses yesterday:
>Is the Anaphexia Thought-Killer (vigilante archetype) any good? Seems like you're getting some decent protections in exchange for the less valuable social talents and the no tongue thing can be completely negated with a single casting of regenerate.

No need for physics, flame jet (and by extension greater flame jet) specifies:
>any movement upward costs double
So you're better off flying map of the earth.

Mystic bolts are supernatural abilities. As such they cannot be dispelled, they bypass spell resistance, they do not trigger attacks of opportunity, but they do get winked out by anti-magic fields.

Isn't the speed for falling is 500 feet per round or something?

>not manyshot
Oh shit, homme noir, what are you doing

Does Ruby Battle Lord's Strike benefit from Haste or a Speed weapon?
It explicitly says that it's a full-attack, so I'd think yes, but I'm not sure.