Warhammer 40k General

Coming to a Toystore Near You edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Reposting today's FAQs

1/3

2/3

Cool image OP.

I bought the box with Chaplain, Captain and Librarian.

Should I hold off on using the libby as an HQ and get more for a Conclave, or is that maximum faggotry? I was thinking it might help against the Eldar meta in my area.

all of these make sense.

3/3

It seems they post them every eight days, so next batch is a week from tomorrow.

>Acceptable OP image sub edition

Conclave isn't a problem if you don't use invisibility. Just don't do that.

Snapfit kits, June 6th, toy stores, fast-play rules.

And now, reposting the Battle for Vedros starter set rules...

Beaten to it. Well, here's the other half.

there will be at least one autist who is mad this is happening

>I CLAIM DIS THREAD FOR DA ORKZ

How would everyone feel if GW released two rule sets: fast 40k and advanced 40k?

Haven't been into the game for a while, but I enjoy the hobby.

Dark eldar have really taken me lately, are they by any chance competitive? If so what kind of units do people run?

I love painting and collecting small forces, but generally I go with what units looks good together so I rarely have playable armies.

>warhammer 40kids
nice

I'd be cool, especially if the fast version was free. Good for new players.

I'd think it's pointless, though. They should simplify and condense the existing rules first. There's so much needless complexity that could be eliminated without changing anything.

Dark Eldar are pretty bad, they got nerfed hard by the FAQ. If you like pirates and going fast look up Corsairs who get some DE-like rules and units

Thing is, everything in this starter set is S4 and T4 (shutupshutupshutup orks SHOULD be S4 base okay) so the 4+ to wound simplification works. That's not the case in broader 40k.

But in general, yeah, fast 40k could be fun.

General consensus seems to be the homunculus covens stuff is best. Also scourges and venoms.

There was last thread, but it was probably a warmachine player who was looking for a reason to hate 40k

>Dark eldar have really taken me lately, are they by any chance competitive?

>tfw you keep playing against Blood Angels fluff list with house rules

I am 3/3 and I am bringing my more toned down list without truly crippling myself as he asked.

For you Blood Angel players out there what are some changes you would like to see.

His Sanguinar or whatever the golden pricks name is actually took Ezekiel out in a challenge last time we played.

I am going to try and get my hands on his list and see what y'all think.

Red thirst giving some other benefit than just initiative, a decurion to give us fancy toys

This thread is home to cool Tau guys who don't spam suits like the despicable homosexuals they are.

"GET THE FUCK OFF MY FACTION!" - Shas'O R'EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He said he was working on a decurion but he said it's hard not to make it OP. He said free anything would be huge.

The Sanguinary Guard he has are in Sternguard with JSJ shenanigans with a fnp (may be from his HQ) and base three attacks. They are still not great but it's one of his main threats now.

Any formation that is take 1-5 or any number like that of the exact same model helps promote this bullshit. The formations don't even need rules it's just "Spam X model"
That's why retribution cadre is fine but riptide wing is not.

Now that's cute.

Sadly not, but this pic is still pretty relevant.

Quite so. I think in our next codex, MC battlesuits should become single unit only. None of this 1-3 and you get +1 free BS if you have the money to throw at your local store. That's garbage and only promotes this bullshit.

>not the baby carrier
Apply yourself

I think they should brink back the "You cannot use thus unit in army with les than X points" for MC, or atleast stormsurges

1850 points of Tau, no suits of any kind, go.

Fuck me, I really fucked up my spelling today didn't I?

I'll just bring 18 six man squads of Vespids with a strain leader each, and then some pathfinders with a few upgrades to jus fill out the last 50 points

Is there a fortifications detachment? Because it seems like there's no way to take fortifications without going unbound and losing command benefits.

Should the Drone Harbinger be made an actual model?

>like the image
>no Admech
>mfw

>Drone Harbinger
What?

The Fish variant from Dark Crusade that could spawn drones.

From Dawn of War, it was a Devilfish chassis that acted as a mobile factory for single drones.

Sounds pretty neat. And it sounds very Earth cast-y so it would fun to have some models that represent the earth caste

I think it's old fanart. Recruit some drawfags to fix it.

liar

Warbosses get four wounds, sergeants get two attacks. Neat.

Dreadnought can't be injured by anything short of rockets and powerfists. Neat, nice to see vehicles being difficult to kill.

No vehicle damage table. Mixed, simplifies things and buffs vehicles, but it feels like a meaningful and iconic loss. No facing, either.

No bonus attack on the charge. Sucks. Even if the lost attack is made up for in the statline, it means you don't gain anything for being on the offensive.

No overwatch. Mixed, I like overwatch, but it does severely favor shooty armies, who get to shoot TWICE at a melee unit in a single turn.

No terrain. Mixed, terrain is super important, but it's designed to need nothing from outside the box. Guess it's fine.

Sure, why not. That's what the tidewall does, right? And piranhas already give basically free drones without breaking anything.

This is always a boring joke every time. I don't even care about sisters and this has never been entertaining.

Please get new material...
because SoB never will.

Son, I am disappoint in you.

Have you read the combined arms detachment?

This is a game for children to play. Its clearly immensely simplified

Yes, but not all simplifications are created equal.

>tfw you realize Tau are blue Space Americans and the Imperium is Britain.

Of ANY kind? Not even Stealthsuits? Right, let's see...

HQ: 2 Fireblades: 120

Troops: 2x 12-man Strike teams w/ Shas'ui, Missile turret, bonded: 280
Troops: 2x 20-man Kroot Carnivores w/ Shaper and sniper rounds: 330
Troops: 1x 10-man Breacher team w/ Shas'ui, bonded, EMP grenades: 130

FA: 1x 10-man Pathfinders w/ Shas'ui 121, bonded, Recon drone and pulse accelerator drone: 174
FA: 2x 4-man Pathfinders w/ Shas'ui, 3 Rail Rifles, bonded, Grav-inhibitor drone: 236

HS: 3x maxed Sniper teams (3 marksmen, 9 drones) = 522

Everyone who can Infiltrate and Outflank does so. Feel free to add/change whatever wargear you like, maybe take some drones.

What the hell is there plan from here?

Let's pretend I'm 12 years old. I buy the $50 starter kit with a friend. We play using the two-page rules and have loads of fun! There's additional models for Vedros, too, so we can expand our armies with bikes and more soldiers!

But some time passes, and now we want more. So... we walk into our FLGS and buy the $80, 800-page BRB bundle, alongside two $50 codexes? Whereupon we need to completely relearn the rules?

What's the plan for transitioning people, here?

There pretty much is no reason for fast 40k. It has no niche. Just play small games ffs. Comat Patrol is over in half an hour.

>tau
>Space Americans
No. Space commie weebs are in no way American. And moreover, there are already tons of space americans in the imperium

Tau arent communist in any way.

They're authoritarian. Closer to Nazis than communists.

>completely relearn
Yes, you need to relearn that instead of your space marines hit on a 3+ when shooting and wound your friend's orks on a 4+, your space marines now hit on a 3+ when shooting and wound your friend's orks on a 4+. You also need to learn that the close combat phase is now AFTER the shooting phase, whereas before the shooting phase was BEFORE the close combat phase.

I mean really. Yeah, there's extra rules, but they bolt onto what you're doing already.

Alright I'm going to say this before this thread devolves into /pol/. Just because they have pic related doesn't make them American.

But muh mcdonalds shield conspiracy!

If you're wondering, it's a thing among beardy lefties that the USA has never gone to war with a country with a mcdonalds. In other words, if you accept their culture then (like tau) they're fine with you, but if you don't then (like tau) it's clobbering time.

Tau do have McDonalds. Instead of Big Macs they serve castrated guardmen genitals with Ork tears to drink. Toys are miniature Battlesuits.

Alright.

What is so bad about invisibility anyways?

That sounds like an assertion of fact (or a proposal of a hypothesis) not a conspiracy theory.

I mean, did Iraq have McDonald's? I'm not claiming to know the answer, but neither would surprise me.

Besides, it's only logical the public would be more supportive of war against someone with a vastly different culture. That's just human nature.

This is just rules for that starter right? I'm new as shit and have no idea what updates were coming so I'm confused. I thought you could move an additional 6 inches if you chose to run. Also I'm not sure why I forgot the answer to this question but I'm gonna ask it anyway since I know you all love newb questions: Can you always take an invulnerable save? I'm fairly certain you either choose between cover save or armor save (whichever is better) but let's say you roll your armor save and fail, do you then roll again for invulnerable save? I may or may not have fucked up my first game by slapping Shield of Sanguinius on a unit, rolling their armor saves, and then rolling their invuln saves if armor save failed.
Oh and as for that rule thing, did Furious Charge ruling change or is that for the sake of this starter?

>can't take Skarbrand or Kharn
For what purpose

Yes, this is for the Battle of Verdos fastplay 40k game.

Don't be silly. You have to EARN a toy battlesuit by passing your trial by fryer.

>This is just rules for that starter right?
Yes

>Can you always take an invulnerable save? I'm fairly certain you either choose between cover save or armor save (whichever is better) but let's say you roll your armor save and fail, do you then roll again for invulnerable save?

No. Cover, invulnerable, armor- pick one.

The only time you can EVER "layer" saves is with Feel No Pain, because that's technically not a save.

Yes, that is for the toy store starter set.

Running: +D6"

Yes, you can take an invulnerable save unless a special rule prohibits it. No, you can only pick one save, usually, you pick the best one (Lascannon goes through Terminator Armor's 2+, but can still roll the 5+)

No, Furious charge has not changed. This set does not even have Furious Charge as a thing 8)

because they're not in the codex?

That is probably why they're so ugly. All of that grease got on their faces.

But why?

Well I certainly fucked that up then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you guys name your units? My friend was considering naming his chaos units and I was thinking "ya know what, my army is small as shit, maybe I should name em"

Generally, only when they achieve something.

If you want a fun name generator from GW look that the path to glory name generator. But it is only for chaos names though

Usually after the leader of the unit, yes. Brother-Sergeant Fahrenheit and his squad consists of both Flamer Varieties with Fahrenheit's own Combi-flamer, for instance. Brother-Librarian Maxwell's Smite often finds the bioelectrical lightning where it belongs: In the faces of both heretics and Xenos.

My friend's heavy stubber cultist fucking killed 4-5 tactical space marines in the game we played. Killed more than any other unit he had on the field. We were joking saying like "wow this mother fucker is straight Aspiring Champion tier, he needs a promotion or something holy shit" so I told him our personal lore is when he gets his daemon prince or herald of nurgle, it's that fucking cultist rising through the ranks.

None of the suit spam is really that bad outside of the Riptide Wing.

Are there rules for the bikes, grots and whatnot scanned yet? Better yet, PDF of the Vedros document?

No, not yet, or else there is and I haven't seen it.

I had a single guy from 20 man Renegade platoon unit survive, he passed several go to ground saves (6+ cover saves) and many 6+ feel no pains. And when I rolled for this leadership he ended up with Ld 10! So in between games I took the model and turned him into a chaos champion for his own platoon of renegades.
May the plaugefather bring bountyfull blessings Darek Torash.

Honestly, I'm 24, been out of the hobby for quite a while, and would totally buy some of the kits and play them with those rules. I don't give a fuck about the meta, or tournaments or anything.

>literally 7 months since the last codex

Why the fuck is this allowed?

Nice trips

New CEO putting his foot down and focusing on 8e being actually good

Also, AoS

The problem isn't those rules, for starters those are great. The problem is, if you want to play anything beyond SM bikes and tacticals versus Ork boys and bikes, you have to dive into the full rules with no on ramp.

Will Undivided CSM ever get any attention? Iron Warriors and Night Lords are cool as fuck but they always seem to get the fucking shaft

codex/supplement burnout, i think all the factions (except the ally books or sisters) have at least a supplement now for 7th.

Heh, my friend is also going Nurgle. He bought the starter kit just the other day, although since he got it from GW it'll probably take a week before they arrive. Also he wasted $20 just like I did since he didn't check ebay or amazon until after the purchase. For our next games I'm thinking about restricting it to 500 or 750 points until we learn more. I'm a bit more... educated? than he is so he usually looks to me to interpret rules. CSM rules alone were hurting my fucking head with all those dark bounties or w/e the fuck from winning challenges, now I'm looking at Chaos Daemons with the demonic instability and specific rules for types of deamons and god dammit my mind is full of fuck. First (only) game I said "look sorry but fuck challenges for now, fuck warlord traits, fuck terrain, fuck cover, and fuck objectives". Still managed to blow the whole thing.

AHH now I get ya. Maybe they'll expand on the starter stuff a bit, I dunno.

The thing is, the dude wasn't a marine. He was a regular chaos Joe with no armour save and a lasgun. That is why he deserved his promotion

>Inquisition, AdMech and Harleys will always remain as shitty ally codexes and will never be their own fully fleshed out armies

thanks GW

6th ed codex implied perturabo is broing it up with nurgle over the other gods now.

We got rumors about a year ago that said, within two years, 40k codexes would be dead. No more. Cease to be a thing that GW makes.

At the time, the guy said they would be replaced by either in-box or online rules, supplementint a stripped down "core" BRB. But he wasn't sure because it was still so early in the pipeline.

It's starting to look like he was right.

I've got a single Deathmark that has managed to always survive his entire squad being killed, whether it's heavy incinerators, cleansing fire, venom cannons or whatever bloody template weapon they bring out, every single time he's fielded. I want to commemorate him, but I can't think of what you'd name something like him.

CSM LUL

i could see inquisition getting expanded a little, their models are all old metal. but i really doubt admech/skittarri or harlequins will get any support due to being plastic and current

Oh, I should add, it was a VERY historically accurate source, not some random nobody.

I can't believe GW treats Space Marine players this badly. Why don't they support their best selling line?