Miniatures Painting

Are you not supposed to just use the paint straight from the pot?

I know OP is probably a troll, but obligatory 'thin your paints'.

how?

Water.

Whenever I try that it just runs everywhere and creates a film on the model.

Thin your paints with clean water. Should be the consistency of cold whole milk.

Make a wet pallet, its what turned me into a "I know how to paint but why the fuck can't I thin my shit" into being above average in my area simply because my paint wasn't drying on me even if I thinned it

Less water than that

Then you went a bit too far. You may also have made things even worse by having far too much paint on the brush.

Fuck lads whats that really decent brand of brushes called that isn't too expensive I forget the name.

Citadel.

PAINT YOUR (wheat) THINS!

You must be new here, thinning your paints is a meme nobody actually does it. Yes put the paint on the model directly from the pot and use a trowel while you're at it.

kek, it was Winsor & Newton series 7

Should I just use big bright colors and then a brown wash? It seems to look better than what I can do if I try very carefully, and it's way faster.

I'll confess, I painted games workshop crap when I was in highschool and I never thinned my paint. If I must say, I think I was a pretty above-average painter.

Although I quickly became a fan of the black and brown ink washes. It's literally a magical way to easy painting. Just block in some flat colors and wash away, comes out perfect.

3 colors and a wash is better than 90% of what most players do. For some reason you're lucky if you even see a basecoat and that goes for all miniature games, not just Warhammer.

Sure, if you don't feel like improving and don't mind the blotchy look you get with a quick wash. Personally, I find it disgusting, but it's still miles better than unpainted

Some particular models or color schemes look fantastic with washes. Back when I played the LOTR SBG I painted my urukhai by painting the flesh areas a reddish brown, painting the leather brown, and painting the armor a dark metal, then did a black ink wash, and it gave them a great look in the dark style they had in the movies. Finished them off with little white hand-print war paint on their shields and faces and shit. looked great and they painted up quick.

Mold lines? Oh, those just add character.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Washes can work wonders, and I use them for portions of my models too. But like anything, you gotta use it where it's best, not throwing it on willy-nilly. Lots of little details? Wash away, then pick out highlights like you said.

But across wide open areas? It'll just be a blobby mess.

>pin ur thaints.

I airbrush my washes on so that my space marines look like they're being rained on.

With a solvent mixture made of acrylic matte medium (ie, Liquitex) + water + (99 to 70% isopropyl alcohol)

Thinning your paints is a shit tier Veeky Forums meme. Just turn the model over and dunk it into the pot, that's the easiest way to basecoat. Bonus points for using a gallon of all weather exterior paint, it's much cheaper than GW trash paint and won't chip.

> all weather exterior paint
now i kinda want to see this

Depends. People will tell you to thin your paint. Do that. But thin the whole pot at once. Works great.

I like the control I get with a pallet though, easier to remove paint from the brush if I put on to much.