EDH/Commander General

1-drop general edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/avacyn-and-her-angelic-army/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-r-t-i-f-a-c-t-s/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-time-for-monsters/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Building a kuro deck, any suggestions?

dont

Might need some more info first. What are trying to do with the deck?

Using kuro as a finisher along with life altering effects. Get everyone's hands down, pay a shitload of life, set everyone's life total to mine/ swap, then corrupt or drain everyone.

i dont want to shit up these threads but im just using the meren pre con and im wanting to actually have fun, reposting my question from last thread
just getting into commander, i would like to do a +1/1 counters deck that use thigs like predator ooze, kalonian, hardened scales and shit like that, what would you suggest for a commander? anafenza?

If you like Abzan colors, Ghave, Guru of Spores is your man. Or thing, whatever.

sounds like a lot of work that you can very rarely actually pull off

what happens when your swap gets countered/someone kills you before you swap/anyone is running any sort of interaction?

My group allows this as a commander

How the frick does manabasecrafter work?

How good is a Kytheon deck these days? Out of all the flipwalkers, Gideon is the only one I have real love of. Sarkhans cool but there's no kid creature version. I imagine you'd just want to load him up with equipment and weenies but I'm so unfamiliar with flipwalkers I'd like to hear some tips and tricks.

Mimeoplasm is fun for exactly that. When you cast it, you pick two creatures from your graveyard, get the stats and abilities of one, with +1/+1 counters equal to the other creature's power. I run one myself and have a lot of fun with it in general.

Ghave is good as someone mentioned, he easily combos with a lot of things, but because of that his power level can get high very quickly. You can also go with prime speaker zegana, she draws you cards and there are a bunch of doubling counters effects in those colors

>from your graveyard
Any graveyards

marchesa is stronk, but grixis.
i use her for arcbound tribal.
desu i really want a 5c +1/+1 counter general, theres so much juicy counter tech in all colors, but not you always miss out on something cool, grixis for example gives you proliferate, but abzan gives you awesome counter lords, hardened scales and doubling season.

its never enough

Jesus, you might as well have a Westvale or Erbuis as your commander.

well the main problem is he is mono white, which is probably the weakest of all mono colored decks in edh. But if you can get past that, he is a solid 1-drop with protection that you can easily flip if you build the deck to go wide with weenies/tokens, but most people tend to focus planeswalkers when they get on board.

Given how universal counters are it's strange that there's no 5c legend that uses them in any way. Closest is maybe Tazri to tutor up counter allies but that's so janky and awful I probably could have erased the suggestion from this post and you wouldn't have noticed the difference.

I always forget about that because I try to set myself up, but your right. It's amazing when it works and you get to exile something neat.

I can't really see Flipeon being any good.

All his kid version has going for him is expensive indestructibility, and his walker has no ultimate and limited dickery.
He can't even Voltron, as in one hit, he'll flip, and equipment drop off Gideon's combat form at the end of turn.

All I've ever seen with him with is Mono-White Weenies.
And when I'm doing that, I much prefer Boros colours.

I wouldn't touch him.

How does Bellstriker's dash cost work? Does it increase for any reason, ever?

Does his standard mana cost increase each time he dashes?

I'm pretty sure it would stay two mana each time he bounces back to your hand, even if he's killed and he has commander tax.

I don't believe you can dash from the command zone

Built a RW Angel Tribal deck, but could use a few suggestions. Trying hard to keep the cards thematically appropriate, so obviously not gonna throw in dragons or anything.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/avacyn-and-her-angelic-army/

You totally can. Dash just returns him to hand after, it doesn't care where you cast if from, or it would say that. Look at Phage for an example.

Yes, dash is still affected by commander tax if you cast him with dash from the command zone.

The dash cost increases if he's in the command zone, since commander tax always applies there. In your hand it's always two, since commander tax does not apply from your hand.

Post your spicy secret techs!

I love this personally. What better way to deter a tormod's crypt than a fuckload of +1/+1 counters.

I have a friend who runs this and I always love it.

That seems extremely situational. Almost to the point of being a blank.

Luminarch Ascension can be absurdly good
Angel's Trumpet can be fun
Angel of Jubilation can fuck people up
Sunblast Angel always looked neat to me
Firemane Angel maybe

Would recommend Unexpectedly Absent, Chaos Warp, and/or Oblation for noncreature permanent removal in your sunforger package. Oblation can be used on yourself in a pinch to draw 2. Tithe, Master Warcraft, and Wild Ricochet too.

Some good nonangel cards that benefit RW decks include: Knight of the White Orchid, Prophetic Flamespeaker, Steelshaper's Gift, Gift of Estates, Weathered Wayfarer, Expedition Map

You can start by tossing out the Iona's Blessing, Nahiri's Machinations, Ash Zealot, Fiendslayer Paladin, and Fall of the Titans

What's your most sentimental card, Veeky Forums? For me it's pic related. I opened one when I was 11, and the art made me want to make a zombie deck. I had no clue how to actually play the game, and moved on to other things. A couple of years ago I picked Magic up again, learned how to play, and now I've finally got him in a zombie token deck with Gisa. Might put him in a Mikaeus reanimator deck though.

That card would be spectacular in Lim-Dul

Oh it's entirely situational, that's why I love it. I run a lot of things from the graveyard and just having it in the deck is a good way to stop people from sideboarding graveyard hate. He'll never swing, but he will make sure things work as well as possible.

My dream is to win by using him while having this out.

Might be Mirari's Wake for me. As a kid I only had one deck and it was GW. I didn't know much about the rules but when the Wake hit the field I knew I was gonna win.

Fast forward a decade or something; one of the first commander decks I designed was a 5-color Karona deck which uses that same Mirari's Wake. It still kicks ass and she's still my favorite commander.

The old gold borders looked pretty bad but somehow the art on Karona and on this card really made it work.

Oh also I ran Shepherd of Rot in a Tymaret-Zombies Tiny Leaders deck when that was a thing. He brought my opponents within Tymaret's burn range very often

I mean, it's hardly creative, but it can be utterly hilarious.

I tossed one into my Tasigur for mass delve, it's just a big dumb vanilla but damn is it fun to get it huge for almost no cost.

Untested tech, so spice safely, but I'm gonna put the myriad creatures into my Ayli deck so I can just sac the copies at the end of combat.

That's pretty spicy user, almost ghost pepper at 3 mana. I may make a monoblack control deck just for that badboy.

Only the spiciest for you, user

>using this on Phage or any Infect creature swinging for 10
I have a new dream

Wow, it seems like we have some masterful spicy chefs in the house today. I just have this, which I think is pretty good.

Both cards are good on their own but together can win you some huge advantage.

And if you avoid counterspells, obviously.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-r-t-i-f-a-c-t-s/

anyone have some feedback on my slobad list?

Reassembling Skeleton, I have no nostalgia for it, it was printed almost a decade after I started playing, but it works exactly how I thought Drudge Skeletons worked when I started playing and it gives me warm fuzzies.

I literally can't stop putting it in my black EDH decks, and it always does work.

Wow that's pretty rad

Shadow and Dauthi were in, what, 2 sets total?

They were 7$ each when I built my first competitive deck. And they were well worth the price.

Reposting this question:

Several /edh/ ago, there was an user that posted this image of several cards that shared a similar ability, triggered I think, which fit neatly into a potential four-color combo (ie. potential Commander 2016 theme). Was curious if anyone knew what I was talking about, I wanted to look further into those cards but forgot what any of them or the ability itself were.

If it helps even the tiniest bit, I think one of the cards was a sphinx. Most of them were creatures I believe.

Who are some unconventional Voltron commanders? Li'l Z looks like he might be fun as a headhunter. Pick someone and don't stop until they die.

>Remach guy and "29 Swamps and Dark Ritual are enough mana" guy are never coming back

I miss them

We have some new posters who are just as retarded, they simply haven't produced their magnum opus of shitposting yet.

I don't know if the mono-B poster was actually shitposting, his deck was just terrible and he refused to take any criticism on it

Given that I've interacted with players just like him in real life, I'm tempted to believe he wasn't shitposting.

Lazav

>Polymorph some huge creature
>Suit him up
>go to town

Nice! And in Rakdos colors too!

Along with Spine of Ish Sah and other things with this card.

As cool as that tech is, Whispersilk Cloak is probably better at least 75% of the time

Anyone got some mediocre cards they can't help but put in decks?

I like this one in green decks.

if you need sac fodder for a deck that also want to beat down with a flyer, then it seems like a great choice

Embrace works on multiple creatures, though. And your opponent's stuff if you feel like being that kind of an asshole to someone else.
Not that you can't just run both

Honestly Restock is decent if you end up with enough things in your graveyard each game. Verdant Confluence is probably better though.

Not him but that's what I use him for in Grenzo, I'm rarely disappointed. I get a 5/5 demon and can sac the priest to an altar to get more Grenzo activations. Also a way to increase my board presence if I can loop the priest by sending him back to the bottom of my library and activating Grenzo again.

Not a terrific card but definitely not an awful one either.

Blink him and he's well worth the effort. A 5/5 flying every time he enters the battlefield is pretty easy to abuse.

You're hosed if Cloak gets destroyed at instant speed, Embrace gives shadow until EOT even if the enchantment gets destroyed

I don't know if he's really "unconventional," but Ruhan is hilariously silly in bigger games. I think my group was bad at the time, but they just ignored him until he racked up that magic 21 against someone and then all of a sudden they blocked him like crazy

I have found myself cloning him with Kiki when I had no better targets on board and it was pretty damn enjoyable.

Bait post?

Serra Ascendant's spicy, but everyone knows about that thing.

Here's another secret tech I'm gonna get for Ayli.

I wonder if the user who strongly believes Serra Ascendant is a bad card in EDH is still around.

I have a 1v1 Kaseto Voltron deck and I have to say, he'said pretty damn good. The way I built him was a little weird but it works and so far, I've only been beaten once with it. Want the list?

i thought that was a chick for the longest time

Fated Retribution is the only wrath I know of that can be tutored with Mystical Teachings, and it's saved my butt more often that I care to admit.

retaliate and fight to the death are much more situational/combattrick-esque options

Sorry for the long reply:

Jhoira flier control

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-time-for-monsters/

Ah I love this card. Paying to make your enemies able to attack each other is good clean fun.

If you have Meren, it takes very little doing to turn her deck into a Mazirek deck. He even comes included. Mazirek sac is sweet.

Combos off infinitely very easily, but that's not necessary. Just be very conscious of persist creatures.

There are so many things that combo with persist it often ends up being stronger than Undying. That's sort of fucked.

And I thin it's a fuck-up in development for them to print a new commander that combos with a keyword. Not with a couple of cards, every commander has something or other it combos with. No, let's print a commander that combos with anything that has this one already powerful keyword. Mazirek isn't even that powerful, it just annoyed me watching all these oh-so-clever mazirek persist combo decks popping up everywhere after release.

In Rakdos, lord of riots. This card is the difference between knollspine dragon being sort of cool and it destroying the table the turn it comes down.

Feldon.

I first saw him early in my EDH career. I thought red sucked, but I was struck by how wistful the art and flavor text were.

Later, I realized how unique his effect is in red.

Later I read his story and cried.

Now, I have a custom-made, personally-designed, gift-from-my-best-friend Feldon playmat that is frankly my most prized possession, which I use with my recently made Feldon deck. Feels good, man.

>I thought red sucked

>that filename
A shame that your workshop never really caught on. Cool $1 cane though buddy. Too bad it works against your own ability since you're more of a reanimator commander than an artificer.

Experiment Kraj plus a late game Morphling or aetherling can result in a completely unexpected commander damage KO.

Aw, wasn't remach guy hanging around here for a while?

Hey man, Red has to work hard for its draw and its enchantment/creature answers. Mono-red takes some love to make it sing.

Nah, just Saitama.

And how does that work exactly? I have a Lord of Riots and am curious how Knollspine Dragon wrecks. Is it because you get more card draw for big creatures?

I'd imagine it's just using another creature as a big ritual and Rakdos to get to Knollspine for cheap and then cast more off all the damage.

Patagia Golem is the first mtg card I ever saw. The art sold me on magic. There is very little card art anymore that is as beautiful/inspiring as some of the older art.

Get a bitter blossom in there too

>First pack of Coldsnap was this
>Fell in love with it, Lorwyn comes out. Spicy White/Black Knight Tribal for a 60 card casual
>Community college rolls around, this was my go-to deck for multiplayer. Machine gun mofos with my Nameless Inversion
>Got me a reputation for being the "Knight Guy"
>More cool Knight stuff like Knight Exemplar.
>Group starts playing more EDH
>This guy isn't even fucking legal
>Karador would work but it's not the same

I still have the deck put together, the only things taken out are the playset of Fetid Heaths. But the last time I played a 60 card casual game was 6 years ago.

It still hurts, Veeky Forums.

He's legal, you just need a way to get him out of the command zone, like with Command Beacon

>Needing a single card in the 99, wasting a tutor to get said card, just to get a Commander out
You are right, but you are also very wrong.

It's something, the poor guy managed to beat Phage in difficulty to cast even though he's awesome. I'd give a pass on letting him be cast from the CZ in my group.

i dont know, they get acess to all the good wraths, and artifact tutoring and such, they can ramp useing artifacts, or landtax effects. they have exile and other good removal, tuck, ect

Wraths and exiles can only get so so far, and it trades that for the absolute least carddraw. It can use artifacts, but so can everyone else. Monowhite can do fine, it just takes a lot more effort to make it than any other monocolor, with red being a bit of a distant fourth.

If you mean hydra tribal, Rosheen.

Guys the nephilim commander that lacks green is going to be the single greatest artifact commander ever printed. I don't care what the card actually does but those four colors contain every busted artifact interaction in the game

Muh Mishra nigga