ITT: Fantasy maps that look like total shit

ITT: Fantasy maps that look like total shit.

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

wingsoffire.scholastic.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 Europe rotated 90 degrees

Meh.

Just because you're right doesn't mean its not bait

>The lands of always winter.

Who the fuck names this shit?

It was clearly made to fit as much on the page as possible for westeros/rectangle land, but it's still pretty painful to look at. I would have thought they'd have taken a few liberties to make it look a bit more random for a map like this, and just wrote off the in book map as inaccurate. I suppose it's not impossible for landmasses to look weird though

At first I thought "Oh, it's literally slightly distorted Europe minus Scandinavia and Russia."
Then I saw the name. Now I'm pissed at GRR Martin for being even lazier with mapmaking than your average fantasy hack.

GURPpppp

That's pretty bad, although it would be greatly improved with borders that looked less lazy.

Morbidly obese yank paedos who think tits n gore make up for terribly written stories

Best one in this thread though.

Martin?

Lazy?

Never

Next you'll be telling us that he invented one pseudo Mongolian word for the Dothraki

So where did GRRM get Essos from? I know that Westeros is just upside down Ireland and mildly distorted Britain. I guess Essos looks a bit like turkey with bits added.

Without using Google fu, is the landmass supposed to be a fallen dragon?

Because it looks like a dragon.

Straight up, dragon-ass island. Don't know the backstory to it and I don't want to. Because with names like "sand kingdom" and "sky kingdom" I doubt it's a well of creativity.

I hate to say it, but Tamriel looks pretty bad

Essos looks dangerously close to Middle-Earth.

>the lands of always winter

never understood the hype. it seems like any average pulp american fantasy.

Took me 5 seconds with google:
wingsoffire.scholastic.com/

You tell me.

It'd help if you used a better-looking map.

Damn shame the games will never capture the scope Bethesda sets for their map. The Imperial City is apparently massive according to this and you can pretty much walk through the whole thing in five minutes in Morrowind.

>Morrowind

Meant Oblivion. How did I fuck that up?

It's a trade off. Do you want the ability to walk from one end of the province to the other without a load screen? Or do you want to appreciate the scale of something that's actually country sized?

Loading screens never bothered me for an overworld if it was sufficiently large. Hell, the Imperial City was split into sections divided by loading screens. Morrowind's world was put behind loading screens if you moved too fast and people circlejerk that game to hell and back constantly.

It's funny, because modders were able to turn almost every city of Skyrim into an extension of the overworld map. Bethesda artificially limits themselves because of console kiddies. See: Literally all of Fallout 4.

kek.

inb4 butthurt "muh creativity!" fags. The people that name shit aren't swriters, they're regular bumblefucks.

Funtime activity: try taking note of every single street name that you pass during a week, and take note of what percentage of them sound absolutely retarded.

I would be okay with a game set entirely within a full scale imperial city. Make it a fusion of oblivion and dishonoured and you can have all my money.

Well, nobody really wants to think about Oblivion. It's like that bastard child no-one really likes, between the crazy awesome of Morrowind and the (more) casual awesome of Skyrim.

>middle kingdom
>leader kingdom
>Nepal

Hey, the story is pretty decent.

But what would you recommend for a politically complex fantasy series? I'm looking for one.

I've always figured that Tamriel is really only about as big as Australia, given that it's only one of the continents on Nirn. I'm not exactly certain if the precise size of the continent is ever given, and if so, what it would be.

Not the original butthurt user but you should try the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

How dare they try to make the most money they can. Those fiends.

Which is still nonsense, because The Witcher 3 has a massive world, and you can literally walk from one end to the other, going in and out of various caves and 'dungeons' if you so choose. There are *some* places that need a load screen, but it's usually between two huge areas.

I wouldn't really call first law politically complex, but holy shit is it gritty as hell

Spain is a sugar substitute.

Wait just 1 second. The summerset Isle slots right into hammerfell. Did someone pick it up and move it?

Australia seems a little small, I always assumed something like the continental United States.

Well, kind of dude, yeah. I mean they've got to turn a profit but it is kind of shitty when artistic integrity falls apart in favour of churning out something bland, inoffensive and easily cashed in on.

>game series based off the devs D&D game
>bland, innofensive and easily cashed in on
>implying

Are you telling me that putting short load screens in so they appeal to a much wider audience makes the game bland and violates artistic integrity? Moreover, as someone who had only a middling PC at the time, I'm glad those load screens were there so I could run the game at all.

Here, have a good map to cheer you up.

Not Skyrim, you dipshit, Fallout.

That is not the picture I wanted to post.

The area I live in the streets are named after British Royalty, along with English, Scottish, and sometimes Dutch names of various families or dead important people. Probably the silliest one I've seen is Dutch Girl Road but that is a cheating as that is at least a half hour drive out of town.

I can't, I live in New York, it's a grid system.

I want to Make Crumbling Crusader State Great Again

I was refering less to that one specific example and talking more about how
>How dare they try to make the most money they can. Those fiends.
is just, not really an argument that justifies stuff being shittier than it could have been in order to get those shekels.

Also:
>>game series based off the devs D&D game
>>bland, innofensive and easily cashed in on
You're fucking tripping if you don't think Elder Scrolls has been made more bland and inoffensive for the sole purpose of being more easily cashed in on.

If you moved the continents slightly farther apart and got rid of the nasty ass biomes, this actually wouldn't be so bad. The shapes are fine.

Where I live in the US the streets are all named after the original people that settled them, so in some places there are British street names like Lancaster and such, and in others you have German, Dutch, French, etc. names. It's a nightmare to remember and even worse to pronounce, but the areas have a lot of flavor to them.

I think the shapes look like distilled deviantart mapping.

>Tiger-Headed Opium Nightmare
Now that sounds like my kind of country!

>That is not the picture I wanted to post.
No kidding.

This is actually legitimately fantastic.

I'll bite, I like eberron and know nothing about cartography. What's so bad about it?

Yeah, definitely not politically complex, but still has the gritty backstabby stuff you might like.

And you'll either love the ending or hate the ever-living fuck out of it.

I'm still ambivalent towards it really

>Funtime activity: try taking note of every single street name that you pass during a week

This. Seriously, streets like "Grassy Plains" and "cedar hill"aren't exactly bastions of creativity.

Names of places are usually named either after a person, an ethnicity, or a geographic feature.

Mine are all shit like

Timber hill
Timber Bend
Wood Hill
Wood circle
Log place
Stick land
Arbor court of the faeries

Also events, numbers, directions, animals and a general words as well.

We have countries named "Greenland' and "Iceland", it's not exactly a stretch.

The streets around me are all named after random English cities for absolutely no reason

I want to travel through the Suckmarsh.

Every time I see this pic I lose it at 'A-RA-BIAN NIIIIIIIIGHTS!'

To be fair, although it had a shit main plot and awful mechanics, the assassins' guild and mages' guild questlines were outstanding.

true.

Sorry. i just wanted an excuse to post this.

Got just a thing for you.

>Afvmbra

Are you kidding me?

>you will never be part of the kanga rat murder society

>You will never bring freedom and liberty to the Black Bay of Oil

>Doesn't want to live in Mad-Hole, Country of the Screamers

It's like you don't even want to have fun, bro

>Califate of Al-Gebra
lost.

>land bridge linked to ireland
For what purpose?

There's one near me called 'Boom Boom Street.'

There's a road near me called Crazy Horse

From Hunter x Hunter. Togashi is such a hack.

So what do you think split not europe from not asia

That could be true, they are super magic recluses.

You have to remember, everything past Slaver's Bay is basically conjecture by Westerosi maesters.

This though, is a shit map.

What is this from?

If it wasn't at such a neat and tidy 90 degree angle it would work.

>Ancient sumerian awful

If you enlarge the scale of the world and fix some of the climatic stuff it's fine.

It doesn't necessarily have to be further apart. At some point our continents were neither pangea nor as far as they are today.

I like the map here, not so much the names.

>I DONT WANNA PLAY AS TARESPONTUS

Are you actually that bad at geography? Boy let me drop some sick learning on you.
Here goes:
AUSTRALIA.
IS THE SAME SIZE.
AS CONTINENTAL USA.

The smallest state on mainland Australia, Victoria, is the size of England.
There are individual farms bigger than some of Europe's micro nations.
We've got no shortage of geography here, even if it's mostly desert.

Funny enough, Australia is actually roughly the same size as continental US.

Wait, what?

Banestorm isn't just Earth with fantasy stuff? It's a different world? And it looks...like THAT?!?
...ugh.

Yeah, the trouble is, you have to read it before you turn 18, or the spell is broken and you realize it's shit.

>Elder Scrolls has been made more bland and inoffensive
Not looking for an argument, but, I'd like to see you walk through your thoughts on this. (Or point to somebody else who's done the walking.)

That's due to the terrible way the mercator map is projected.

This is more accurate. The mercator projection was made to make european and other western powers seem more significant.

?

Just look at morrowind and then look at skyrim and tell me which one looks more generic and uninspired.

Oh shit, I forgot that most estimates of the US' size include Alaska. With Alaska, America is 9,161,966 km2 where as without it it's only 7,663,941.7 km2, so yes. About the same as Australia.

I guess probably China or Canada then.

They turned cyrodiil from an exotic lush jungle into a bargain bin european forest with normal castles and shit.

Morrowind was the last good game bethesda will ever make.

I'm not the guy you're replying to so I'm not going into detail here, but the differences in Elder Scrolls between Morrorwind and Oblivion really speak for themselves. The place Oblivion takes place in was described as a fucking jungle with a bunch of rice fields run by Romans. The Lord of the Rings movie's popularity was probably largely a part of why they changed it, but even if that wasn't why the result was a really generic fantasy world in comparison to the old game
In all fairness Skyrim was always sort of supposed to be that sort of place, but it still felt pretty toned down