Who got you into tabletop in the first place?

Who got you into tabletop in the first place?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Pokémon_Tabletop_Adventures
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Saw the stall for the RPG Society at my Uni's orientation week. Went and took a look, joined up because $2 and why not. Was really apprehensive until I met a guy called Bennett.

Fucking awesome guy, got me to stick around, first campaign was ICONs, so I never got stuck in the D&D rut.
Now I'm the President of the society.

Here's to you Bennett, you glorious American bastard.

Would you believe me if I said I went to D&D summer-camp?

Storytime?

Credit a combined effort by my grade 6 teacher (who saw that a friend and I were fa/tg/uys to be and casually hinted that we look into it) and grandma (who bought me the 3.0 books and generally encouraged anything she could file under the broad category of "reading"). Kinda weird in retrospect >>

Oh boy, now THIS is a story

>be me
>young; maybe 8 or 10 or something
>gone to a daycamp every summer for many years.
>the daycamp is actually a collection of smaller sub-camps, like sailing camp, and art camp
>mom sees an ad for "Dungeons and Dragons camp." picture on the ad is a bunch of guys larping
>"oh, user loves playing pretend. He'll love this."
>I actually did love playing pretend, so sure, why not.
>have no idea what to expect from camp.
>bus arives to the main campground
>me and a bunch of other nerdy kids directed to a trailer by some trees; this is the club's HQ. HQ changed a lot over the years, but this was the most shitty it had been.
>"wait, this doesn't seem like enough room to play pretend"
>that's the day I learned that you don't actually NEED much room to play pretend.
cont

Basically in elementary a dude saved my life. He was very much into roleplaying, occultism, philosophy and humanities in general, so I stuck to him because he was one of my heroes or something.

He taught me how to fight and have the courage to live life as righteously, so I did the same for a couple kids I knew over the years. We used to have discussions about life, train, do homework, have philosophical discussions and also roleplay a lot.

We had a seriously overcomplicated homebrew based loosely on AD&D and elements from a few Spanish D6 systems, but we used D1000 and freestyle.

I'm not into that group anymore but those were the years that I remember the most.

>get introduced to the two councilors
>first one was named Neil. Tall, lanky dude.
>second one I don't remember. Vividly remember having Eliot Rodger style reflective glasses, so we'll just call him Eliot.
>Neil handled the new players, while Eliot handled the more experienced players.
>First day was spent teaching us the ropes, and making characters, Neil doing most of the work for us.
>They didn't actually have full PHBs, but instead just used shitty black and white printouts that they kept in binders.
>look though classes
>fighter, mage - typical standard fare for fantasy settings
>wait, what's that?
>does that say druid?
>why are classes that intersting and unique next to classes as milk-toast boring as 'fighter?'
>as a kid, I always liked nature heroes. To me, it was such an interesting kind of power that you basically never saw in anything.
>obviously I play a druid
>play an elf, to get composite longbow proficiency
>"I'll stay at range, and my wolf can melee."
>no, I didn't realize that Ranger was a thing
>and thus was made Drepyodies, the elf druid, and my first ever trpg character.
That's how the first day went. Gameplay only began on the second day.

>of note, it's worth noting that D&D camp wasn't entirely D&D.
>every day, we did a little bit of physical activity. this more often than not took the role of capture the flag, since it was the only sport a bunch of nerdy kids liked playing.
>during lunch, Neil and Eliot would play Magic, and all the kids would watch.
>to this day, I remember the decks they used.
>Neil used a big Green stompy deck, which ramped up until it could play Silvos the Rogue Elemental
>Eliot had two decks
>first was a mono-black reanimator deck that, in Neil's words, "revolved around Buried Alive"
>second was a janky Dross Scorpion + Disciple of the Vault + Krank Clan Ironworks + Nuisance Engine combo deck
>Eliot won most of the time, obviously
Now, on to the actual campaign

well i always like RPGs, however I suppose specifically it was

>been on 4chins since like 07 or 08
>seen all those ebin Veeky Forums stories like Sir Bearstein or the luchador who suplexed a dragon and etc
>had a group of friends who would hang out for board games or poker or something
>someone asked about dungeons and dragons once because they had seen something about it somewhere
>told everyone those stories I read on /v/ or somewhere a long time ago
>everyone thinks D&D sounds like fun
>we make up our own babbyfied version of D&D from bits and pieces we had picked up from vidya RPGs and stuff

eventually we played the real thing and had a good time. So I guess Veeky Forums did

Wife's dad. She and I grew up together as kids, and him babysitting us during playdates was always awesome. He was a 20 year GM veteran, so weaving a little adventure tale for us to play through was no trouble.

First time anyone pinged my OCD and burgeoning SPD was him when I couldn't stop obsessing over my character sheet and mini. He got me into tabletops, introduced me to my future wife and convinced my parents to invest in a shrink. Fuck knows what my life would be like now if I'd never met him.

Back in school, my dad used to carpool a kid who was into that stuff. Of course, he inserted his speshul snowflake evil wizard as a main character, and took control of the whole campaign and my character too. Really bad in retrospect, so I'm not sure how I kept my interest. Still credit him for introducing me to the hobby, even if he was one of the worse candidates for hobby introductions.

Today, I'm a forever GM, and am currently doing a homebrew Pokemon game for several guys in a Play-by-Post style.

>homebrew Pokemon game

dude you got rules for that in a pdf somewhere or something? my guys wanted to do something pokemon related and I was just gonna run not-5e: everyone is rangers with "pokemon" edition

>the actual campaign was a complete clusterfuck
>party was sent to a town to help them with a bandit problem
>every player is acting retarded
>looking back, I actually feel really sorry for Neil. Being a DM for a bunch of 10-year-olds is suffering.
>one of them ends up killing a civilian after threatening her for no reason
>the rogue stole shingles from peoples' roofs. Said he was going to use them as improvised shurikens.
>rogue also carried around a lot of Rag Weed, which he smoked constantly
>this actually ended up becoming important, believe it or not
>anyway, the party eventually speaks to the mayor of the town, who tells them about the bandits and shows them where their camp is.
>don't remember how, but we end up being captured by the bandits
>turns out, the bandits have a large underground lair, and we're kept there.
>party tries to escape; I'm able to entangle the guards and distract them while we bust out and kill them

I got myself into it. I liked roleplaying on internet forums and ended up finding out about D&D. Managed to get the 3.5 PHB and read through it, memorizing every detail. I even looked at other role-playing games and sometimes even made my own. I never did play 3.5 until college. First game I ever ran was Savage Worlds.
Now I'm running a weekly D&D5e game and plotting OSR/Mini Six one-shots to run every so often.

Look up Pokemon Tabletop United and Pokerole. The former is very crunchy but allows for lots of character customization and options while the latter works off a modified version of the Storyteller system. See which ones work for you.

Honestly, mostly myself. I was new in town, literally zero friends here, and then I saw a DnD stuff on the Internet. Got interested, read a lot, found good RP site and then through another dude found myself a group. As a first time DM. On a system with a null practical experience. That was a clusterfuck.

I'm still working out the finer details of it, but sure, I can get a pdf up.

I'll also give credit where credit is due when I do the conversions!

I literally don't know. At some point when I was little, I ended up with an AD&D 2e Player's Handbook. I don't know where it came from or who got it for me, but I basically held onto the idea of playing it until I found a group in High School.

anything is appreciated

I'm not sure how to handle stuff like pokeballs; do you have the trainer and the mon make contested rolls? does the trainer get a bonus depending on what kind of ball he's using/how damaged the mon is/if the mon's asleep or something?

does the mon conversely get a bonus if it's in good health/has no status effect?

or is it just something like "the regular pokeball has a dc 10 save" and the stronger the mon is the better it's "pokeball save stat" is

>after this, the day was already over, so it we left off there
>third day of the 5-day camp, we continue through the underground compound and try to find a way out
>we fight through the tunnels quickly and end up in a large room full of bandits.
>all our characters would have died, if it weren't for the retarded rogue
>when he was captured, the bandits took his many pounds of Rag Weed, and smoked it all.
>we were literally surrounded by stoned/passed-out bandits who didn't notice us because our rogue was a fucking idiot.
>making our way through, we found ourselves at the bandit armoury, and what an armoury it was
>a whole room, filled to the brim with swords, axes, bows, suits of armor; litterally thousands of GP worth of mundane weaponry
>but the most important object in the room was a small burlap sack, which happeded to be an advanced bag of holding
>players can't decide who gets the bag, so we roll for it
>I rolled a natural 20 - my first ever - and got a brand new swanky bag
>this is when the party realized something ingenious: we could hide in the bag of holding.
>slowly, the plan began to unfold. we had all leveled up at an accelerated rate since we only had a few days to play, so our spellcaster used Charm Person on one of the more awake bandits. Meanwhile, the rest of us put as much loot as we could into the bag.
>finally, before getting into the bag himself, the spellcaster tells the bandit to walk out the front door with the bag, and then empty it.
>plan went of without a hitch.

Heroes of Might and Magic series.
Custom maps for 3 particular. They had little scripted adventuring/story/puzzle maps that were pretty good.

>begining the forth day of the camp, we left off right after killing the charmed bandit
>being freed, the party regrouped, rested, and went back to the bandit lair
>now knowing the layout, and having softened the bandits up, we were ready to begin in earnest
>I don't remember all of the details, but I do remember bits and pieces
>fight was hard AF, and we had to use tactics to adapt to an environment where he had the advantage
>I summoned an air elemental for its maneuverability, and it was able to distract the bandit leader long enough for us to kill his henchmen
>from there, the fight was easier, and we were ultimately sucessful
>having completed the campaign on Thursday, we decided to use Friday for PVP
>we played a normal round of PVP, and a round where everyone had 10x HP and a "Lasor Cannon" (spelled corectly) that did 20d6 damage
>shit was cray; everyone loved it

I ended up going back to D&D camp for many, many years. Lots of the other kids from the campaign also went back, and we ended up having a small friendship between us.

The most memorable part of dnd camp was when they ended up changing the advertisement picture with the LARPers. This was particularly memorable because I was in the picture they used, and even so many years later, the experience I had as a kid playing DnD is still used to encourage other kids to try out this wonderful hobby.
Pic related. I'm the kid with the stupid bowl cut and the blue shirt. Rogue is the blonde kid next to me.

user, are you from Toronto, perchance?

Yes I am.

>bored middle schooler
>just getting into Bioware games
>fucking love KotoR
>fucking love Dragon Origins
>start getting into Mass Effect
>realize I love story based games
>start wondering why more games don't do that
>start googling for Dragonball Z,Avatar,Star Wars and Halo RPGs
>stumble on roleplay forums
>eventually Star Wars Saga Edition
>beg parents to take me to Barnes and Noble to buy that shit
>ask friends if they'd want to try out
>I start rolling for characters for them
>I rolled a gungan jedi and ewok jedi for two of them
>realize no one gives a shit about this
>lose hope

Fast foward a couple of years, my crush at the time convinced me to try to run a D&D game. Now most of the people I tried getting to play six years ago are into D&D 5e and want to try DMing.

Because of pop culture I was generally sort of aware of D&D. Stuff like E.T. and Dexter's Lab, you know?
When I was 8 I got a second-hand copy of DragonStrike from my older cousin. And it still had that VHS tape! My brothers and I immediately picked up on it being based on D&D. That game planted the seed of interest in RPGs, and tabletop gaming in general. It was the first time I'd played a boardgame more interesting than Mouse Trap or Monopoly.

When I was 10 I asked for a D&D 2e starter kit for Christmas and got it (specifically the set pictured). I wasn't able to convince any of my brothers to actually play the damned thing for almost a year, but after the first session they all warmed to it pretty well. Played it with my brothers now and again over a few years and had a lot of fun.

In high school I met some people who gamed and we would try to find the time to play 3.5 every other week or so, plus a short GURPS campaign. Great guys, and everyone (or, everyone else at least--I've never been well read on 3.5) had a good handle on the game's strengths and limitations, so it worked as intended. Eventually we'd all see more of the bad times the system could pump out, mostly second-hand, so we all appreciate that we had such an optimal group for it.

A decade on and I'm still close with my high school gaming buddies--and 3 out of 5 of the group (myself included) still play together, though now over skype and Roll20, and we dabble in a good variety of systems. We're going to try out Tristat dX soon, with the general concept of the campaign being "'Lethal Weapon' In Space".

Was this at the Harbourfront Centre?

that's awesome user

>tfw no D&D camp and didn't get into the game until college

if i had gotten me and my friends into it back in highschool or something it could have been fantastic, all that free time and nobody is busy with work or family or anything

My former best friend. We haven't talked in six years after a falling out.

I miss the guy.

Yes, it was. Did you also go to DnD camp?

Holy fuck, I've told my story about how Harbourfront was my first D&D game ever on Veeky Forums what must have been years ago.

I was only there for a single week that I think got cut short for some reason. (Mon-Thursday, I believe) Never got through the campaign, but I miss my bard.

This is surreal.

Damn user, surreal is one word for it.

Did I forget any details about the camp that you might remember? Do you know what Eliot's real name was, or had he already left by the time you joined?

My friend's older cousin got me into it.
We played pic related many years ago, I made totally "not terminator".

I'm pretty sure we went on basic adventures by anyone else's standard but he was painting whole worlds in my head. It was awesome.

We only played a few times but I was so excited when we did get to play.

Cartoons I watched when I was a kid introduced me to the concept, but I was afraid of being a nerd. A friend of a friend that I met at Dragoncon a while back convinced me to get over myself and just play it.

Now I'm a green-as-grass fa/tg/uy. Oh well, it's a hell of a lot more fun than closet weeabery was.

I was around there no later than '03 (I'd only be able to figure out the year by asking somebody). I do not remember the skinny dude, I had a portly grognard in his late-20's for a DM.

We raided a crypt on the first day with something like 8 characters, in a big crowded trailer (I only now remember that it was a portable) with three other tables kicking around. The cleric was named Xavien, I recall that vividly for some reason.

Ah, parties of 8 in the trailer in the summer heat. Good times.

I think I might know of the grognard you're talking about. In one of my later years at the camp, one of the DMs said that he used to work with a man who the DM swore was so nerdy he had slightly-pointed ears. Dm also said that the grognard claimed to speak elvish (probalby tolkein elvish).

Damn, user, you're making my feel all nostalgic and crap over here.

Well, I don't really know the timeline, so I couldn't say if he was new or old or about to leave, etc. I do vaguely recall that he claimed to speak elvish, and apart from being a really solid teacher for D&D, at least, he seemed like a pretty hard-in-the-paint super nerd. I do remember he had a DMPC Bard that made me look like a chump, but it was okay since mine hit someone in the face with a lantern and they went up in flames.

I don't know or even partially remember anybody in the picture here, but I do, strangely enough, remember the room. If I recall, that's on the second floor and it's a very narrow room. I know because I also did a week of chess camp in there.

Yeah, that was probably him.

Actually, I think that room might have been at Fort York. The camp was held there for quite a few years. We'd play capture the flag in the artificial low-ground of the battlements.

It wasn't. I distinctly remember the cabinet and the little bit sticking out of the wall there

You might be right, I think my memories might b blending together.

When I was a young boy, around 6-7, my mother made my sister take me along with her when she went to hang out with her friends at a local shopping centre. We're all walking along, my sister and her crew talking their teenage bullshit and I'm trailing behind bored out of my skull when I spot a shop out the corner of my eye with these big display windows full of toy soldiers and tanks and shit. It was a Games Workshop store, and after that day the seeds were planted and grew from there.

Ok so listen, my pdf isn't presentable at all; but the rules are pretty simple. I'll just type it up here:

In this Pokemon Game, you have the Players who play as Pokemon Trainers, and you have one other who is the Professor (The GM for all intents and purposes).

The Players don't use any dice. The only one who uses dice are the Professor. Even then, the Professor only really needs to roll percentages, or perhaps on the odd random table or two.

Pokemon have 7 Stats. Those stats are: Hitpoints, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed, and Stamina.

Hitpoints represent how much damage a Pokemon can take before fainting. The total Hitpoints a Pokemon has is 10 + (2 x Hitpoint Stat). [NOTE: Still in testing, but want to experiment with 20 + (2 x Hitpoint Stat) too.]

Attack and Special Attack both represent how much additional damage an Attacking Move does. The difference is, is that Attack deals with physical attacks, and thus must go through the Defense stat of a Pokemon. Special Attack on the other hand deals with non-physical attacks; and targets the Special Defense stat of a Pokemon.

Speed represents who acts quicker. The Pokemon with the highest speed goes before the other Pokemon in the battle.

Stamina is like the Power-Points system on each individual move in the gameboy games; except rolled into a single stat. A Pokemon can only perform so many moves, and take so many actions before it is too tired to continue. Each Pokemon has 40 + (2 x Stamina stat) worth of Stamina. [NOTE: Want to experiment with 20 + (2x Stamina stat), because I now feel 40 is too high.]

Each Pokemon has a different array of each of the 7 statistics from other Pokemon. The Professor makes each Pokemon's standard array. Once made, the Professor uses that array for all future Pokemon the party encounters.

(Continued. Feel free to ask questions as I write it out to you.)

Either way, that was a really strange week of my life, and I didn't actually get to play D&D until years and years later, and only actually completed a campaign last year, even though it was a damn fine game with a damn fine group.

It's good to know that it wasn't a fever dream that got me into tabletop. It still doesn't feel like it ever actually happened.

But yeah, I can totally confirm user's story that D&D Camp is indeed a thing, and it's a fucking blast.

this might help you
1d4chan.org/wiki/Pokémon_Tabletop_Adventures

Pretty much how I got into it as well, except got into dnd right away. Made it to secretary even. Too bad our club is shrinking.

A little more on the Attack and Defense thing, is that all that it really is, is a subtraction problem.

Take the physical Attack Move's base damage, and add the Attack stat to the damage. Then subtract that damage by the Defense of the defending Pokemon.

After that, that is when you can include any multipliers or dividers if they come up (For example if the move critically hit, is super effective, isn't very effective, or some other.)

---

Pokemon come in 3 Stages. These 3 Stages are separate from Evolution. These Stages represent the general power level of a Pokemon.

A Stage 1 Pokemon has only 28 Statistical points distributed across all seven statistics. However, a Stage 1 Pokemon can have no more than 8 Points distributed in any one stat at a time. The total number cannot go below 0.

For example, a Pokemon can have no more than 8 Attack, or 8 Special Defense at Stage 1.

A Stage 2 Pokemon on the other hand has up to 42 points total, but can invest no more than 16 points in any one statistic.

This means that a Pokemon at Stage 2 can have no more than, for example, 16 Attack, or 16 Special Defense, or 16 of any other specific statistic.

Then at Stage 3, Pokemon have a total of 56 Statistics distributed throughout their scores, but can have no more than 24 in any one statistic.

Then there are Legendary Pokemon. Legendary Pokemon have 80 Statistics, and have no limit in how many points can go where.

---

Evolution on the other hand is seperate from Stages so long as if the Professor wants it to be. Evolution and what it takes to evolve the Pokemon, if any Evolutions are available for them are up to the Professor to come up with.

Perhaps it takes a certain amount of experience? Perhaps it takes accomplishing a certain event with your Pokemon? The Professor should provide some direction if he feels it is needed.

(Continued, hit the text limit...)

To power up your Pokemon, you need to gain experience, or XP for short. XP is not gained like in the games, and is instead centralized to the trainer of the Pokemon. The trainer then distributes the XP to their Pokemon to empower them.

A single Pokemon can have no more than 60 XP invested in it at one time. When a Trainer invests XP into a Pokemon, they must declare what it is being used to do. The things XP can do are below:

1 XP: Increase a single statistic on the target Pokemon by +1 higher than normal.
2 XP: Grants the Pokemon a new move of your creation.
4 XP: Grants the Pokemon a new Ability on top of the one it has. [Experimental]

You cannot immediately place all 60 XP into one Pokemon right away. You do need to bump up their friendship first. When a Pokemon is Indifferent with you, you can invest only up to 10 XP into the Pokemon at max.

You can then progress the friendship even further after that, by taking the Pokemon with your on missions, and supporting the Pokemon as it goes on; be they battlers, Pokemon contesters, explorers, performers, or just enjoying some slice of life. When a significant amount of interaction between you and your Pokemon have happened, the Professor can then rule that the friendship increased.

There are three levels of Friendship after Indifferent are: Friend, Great Friend, and Best Friend (Like Veeky Forums's ability to form relationships with women). At Friend, the XP limit bumps up to 20 XP. At Great Friend it becomes 40 XP. Then at Best Friend it becomes 60 XP.

If the Professor wants, they can also enforce another XP limit by means of needing Gym Badges to increase it.

(Continued)

The rest about the Pokemon is about the same as with the Pokemon handheld games. Except for a few things:

All Pokemon Abilities are created to be balanced against each other, instead of some having clear differences of power between each other.

For example, the Truant ability is a bummer of an ability. So, I made it so that all stats are treated as being double their normal amount, in exchange for acting every other turn.

Also, Huge Power now only gives you an initial +20% bonus to Attack like an Attack boosting move were used on it when it first comes out into the field.

Just some examples.

Also, I try to have up to 3 Ability for each Pokemon at their first evolution to select between (With some exceptions of course). Then at the 2nd Evolution, I add at least one other Ability, and make it go up to 4 Abilities. Then the final Evolution has up to 6 Abilities to choose from.

If the Pokemon has no evolutions, then they get an instant 6 Abilities to choose from.

There is little statisticswise that differentiates the fully evolved from the pre-evolved. I did this so that the players can feel like they can choose their favorites (I'm a Karenfag myself), without feeling bottlenecked between having to choose "Shitmons" or something.

(Continued, the next part discusses the main Trainer mechanic)

>graduate elementary school, go to high school
>'this time will be different. I'll make lots of friends!'
>hear that a guy in my theology class plays D&D
>D&D sounds like a way to make friends
>find him at lunch one day
>he says its cool, I can just come over sometime
>panic, chicken out
>resign self to loneliness
>I hate myself again

>long weekend
>there's a knock at the door
>answer the door because I actually enjoy interacting with people and I haven't left the house in days
>it's him, and a bunch of other kids on bikes
>"Hey, user, c'mon, we're gonna go play D&D."
>You know where I live?
>it turns out we have a mutual friend who had been over to my house a couple of times because we were in Boy Scouts together and he used to go to the same elementary school as me before he transferred, I never knew he played D&D though
>completely blown away by the fact that somebody actually wants to spend time with me enough to seek me out like this, let alone a whole group
>excitedly tell parents I'm going to go hang out with friends(!)(plural)(!!!)
>bike alongside them to his house, go to basement and admire the hideous art of the AD&D monster manual for a bit
>roll a dick-ass thief because we already had a barbarian and at least three other martial classes
>I've joined just in time to help everybody execute a daring raid on the upper floor of a tavern, where goblins had taken a golden raccoon statue (that the local hillbillies worshiped)
>we all swing in through the windows on ropes and kick goblins in the face with knife-boots
>almost die a lot because I only had 4 hp, but I manage to survive by dodging and hiding a lot, get a few sneak attacks in too
>drink a lot of Dr. Pepper (I didn't like fizzy drinks but everybody else was drinking it) and yell at critical hits with everybody else
>bike home in the evening autumn air past the empty parking lot-playground of my old school
>feel hope for the future
I wonder sometimes if he knows how grateful I was for that invitation.

Pokemon Trainers come in many flavors and from many walks of life. But all Trainers have their own Pokemon looking up to them, and vice versa.

What each Trainer brings to the table is expressed in the form of Spirit. Spirit can be used for a variety of purposes, be it in improving a Pokemon's statistics, in helping the Trainer traverse a difficult cliffside, or even improve their chances of catching a Pokemon.

Each Trainer per adventure has 5 Spirit. Spirit can be used to do the following:

Boost Attack: Make a Pokemon's Attack or Special Attack deal 50% additional damage than normal (Rounded down, but always an increase of +1 damage) for one turn.

Boost Defense: An attack landed on your Pokemon is reduced by 50% from normal (Rounded up, but always reducing damage by -1. If the attack normally deals 1 damage, then the attack deals no damage) for one turn.

Boost Speed: Allow your slower Pokemon to act before another faster Pokemon for one turn. Additionally, if the Pokemon is already faster, the Pokemon's attacks and defenses are improved by 25% against the slower Pokemon. In a setting where movement matters, allows a Pokemon to move 50% more units of space than before (1 Unit = Size of the Pokemon).

Recover: Your Pokemon recovers a number of Hitpoints equal to 25% of their Hitpoint total.
Allow yourself to accomplish, or have a better chance at accomplishing a task that you normally would have a hard time doing (Professor's jurisdiction).

Improvise: Make up some other special effect out of the ordinary with the Professor's permission.

---

A Trainer's Personality can help to channel that Spirit to do things better than other Trainers too.

(Continued in next post)

Meant to quote these two.

Several personalities of the trainers, and/or styles of Pokemon training are listed below, along with each personality comes the way in which they can use their spirit to better use:

Adaptable: Can spend 1 Spirit to grant a Pokemon two of either of the three effects: Boost Attack, Boost Defense, or Boost Speed. You can choose to improve only 1 of those effects as normal, and will cost 1 Spirit as normal.
Aggressive: Boost Attack is increased by 100% instead of 50%.
Brave: Boost Attack and Boost Defense are both increased by 75% from 50%.
Calm: Can use the Recover Action to make your Pokemon ignore persistent conditions for the remainder of the battle, and removes nonpersistent conditions from them too.
Clever: Boost Defense is increased by 75%, and allows your Pokemon to act before another faster Pokemon for two turns instead of one turn. Faster Pokemon get their 25% Attack and Defense Bonus for two turns instead of one. Also allows your Pokemon to move 75% more units of space than before for one turn.
Determined: Grants +2 Additional Spirit to use per Long Rest. In addition, have better luck accomplishing non-Pokemon tasks that are otherwise going to be very difficult for you when you spend Spirit to improve your ability on them.
Dynamic: When you Improvise, the effectiveness increases by an additional 50% if numerical, generally increase in effectiveness, or the Professor will allow for more creativity in your improvising ideas.

(Others in the next part)

Gentle: The Recover Action heals 50% of total Hitpoints instead of 25%.
Hasty: Allows your Pokemon to act before another faster Pokemon for three turns instead of one turn. Pokemon already faster than the opposing Pokemon instead get a 25% increase to their Attack and Defense for three rounds instead of 1 round. Also allows your Pokemon to move 100% more units of space than before for one round.
Hot-Blooded: Boost Attack is increased by 75%, and allows your Pokemon to act before another faster Pokemon for two turns instead of one turn. Faster Pokemon get their 25% Attack and Defense Bonus for two turns instead of one. Also allows your Pokemon to move 75% more units of space than before for one turn.
Stalwart: Boost Defense is increased by 100% instead of 50%.

The other part are each trainer's Hobbies. A trainer starts with 3 Hobbies, talents, or things they like to do that aren't Pokemon, but can help them on their journey with enough creativity.

Stuff like, Sailboating, Dancing, Climbing, Cooking, whatever it is. The power of the Hobbies are of a narrative application. The Professor should give more leeway for tasks that the trainer is good at.

(Almost finished, just need to go over catching Pokemon)

(Ok, I forgot about the making of Pokemon moves. First, the Catching of Pokemon)

The Professor does this part. When a Trainer wants to catch a Pokemon, the Professor uses the d100.

(This is also an experimental mechanic.)

When a wild Pokemon is at full health and in good condition, then if the trainer tries to throw a Pokeball without any modifications, then you roll the d100 three times. If you get a number greater than 250, then the Pokemon is caught!

But the more the wild Pokemon is beaten up, afflicted with bad conditions, given good bait, or some other condition, then add additional dice rolls to that; but don't modify the roll of 225!

If the Pokemon is down 50% of its hitpoint total, add another dice.

Down 10%? Add yet another.

Down to the last hitpoint? Add one more.

Status Condition? Add one.

Using a Ball greater than the Pokeball? Depends on the Professor (Make Great Balls and Ultra Balls rarer than Pokeballs though!)

So if you stack the deck enough, you get a lot of d100s you can try to use! However, you must pick the three highest rolls to add together. If that doesn't work, the Pokemon breaks free!

If it's a close call, the Professor give the choice to spend 1 Spirit to seal the deal.

(Next Posts are about making Pokemon moves)

There's been an rpg thread on a forum of some browser MMO game I used to play.
The GM was absolutely great, players were not, though. Overall a very enjoyable experience, wish I could do it again.

Pokemon moves. First off, a Pokemon can learn more than 4 moves.

I actually stole the idea and much of the list from the Beer and Pretzels Pokemon Game posted here a while ago. Heck, I stole a lot from that game, but I did modify it a bit myself.

Still, if the maker of that game is reading this. Thank you very much for saving me a lot of time!

For Attack and Special Attack Moves, there are three basic components:

Base Damage: Base Damage is the amount of damage done because of the move. This damage is then added to the user's Attack or Special Attack, depending on if the Move is physical or non-physical.

Accuracy: Measured as a percentage of how likely the move is to hit the target. If at 100%, the move will always hit barring special circumstances.

Stamina Cost: How much Stamina does the move cost? When you use this move, subtract that much Stamina from the Pokemon's Stamina total.

---

For Non-Attack Moves against a foe, there is only Accuracy and Stamina to worry about.

For Non-Attack Moves on yourself or other friendly targets, there is only Stamina to worry about.

The base template for an Attack Move is:

+1 Damage/100% Acc/5 Stam; with 8 Points remaining. You can spend a point to boost Damage by 1, reduce the Stamina cost by 1, or increase Accuracy by 10%.

With Non-Attack moves against foes, Damage is not a factor, and is represented thusly:

-/100% Acc/5 Stam.

Used on allies or yourself, Accuracy isn't a factor, so it becomes:

-/-/5 Stam.

You can modify those moves further with Keywords (Thanks again Beer and Pretzels)

(Keywords in next post...)

You can give yourself 1 Point by increasing Stamina cost by 1, or reducing Accuracy by 10%.

Look for the Keywords of moves in this pdf linked here.

I hope that helped! If you have questions, I can answer them!

> Have a party at my place in highschool
> Friend brings his D&D books
> We all get hammered/baked and he pulls the books out
> I attempt to play a prerolled character
> Die within 5 minutes ( 2nd ed d&d)
> Go back to flirting with some girl I invited while they play

> Sometime during my undergrad
> Call up a good friend to try to hang out
> "Sorry user, playing D&D with X ( the guy who brought the books last time), Y and Z at Xs"
> " Wow that sounds amazing, any chance you could ask the others if I could come?."
> Thankfully these guys were all good friends of mine and were happy to have me along.
> First session I RP the character of a player who could not show up
> Take the lead in RPing by haggling and getting us a discount on the ship we need to get to an island to investigate.
> Combat comes along and I devise a decent plan to end the encounter without us getting too injured, doesn't quite work out but the combat goes well anyways.
> This is amazing, so much fun.
> We end the session and X and I roll me up a character for next session. I write a few paragraphs of background. Give my guy a reason to be on the island.
> Next session comes up, and another, and another.
> My character's goal ends up being the focus of the campaign since it ends up involving the whole continent ( evil armies are coming, and we need to unite the lands under one king).
> I'm hooked

I played with those guys for almost a year, had to stop due to school and didn't come back for a while because I was embarrassed that I messed up DMing when my turn came around by railroading too much. Still after that I found myself drawn to hobby more and more. Played with those guys again on and off for some time. but everyone is pretty busy these days, or maybe they just don't want to play with me, I don't think that I've ever been a problem as a player though. Hard to get my other friends playing. I've moved past D&D to other systems and GM a game on roll20 and play in another one atm.

bump

it was okay

Awesome story.

Should be saved for posterity.

I think I was like 12 or 13 and at summer camp we played chess and such. I was asked if i wanted to play Cyberpunk so played a short one off. I don't remember much of how it went, but at some point Ghostrider made us to do something. I didn't know at the time who or what Ghostrider was. But had fun. Picked up Cyberpunk later at the age of 15-16 with school mates.

Glad that you got a happy ending

This user.
> Tfw I never had a battle like that

My art teacher started a D&D group with me and my small group of friends junior year of high school. We started with 3.5e then went to 2nd

When I was halfway through highschool, my family moved from Washington, D.C. (CULTURE!) to Huntsville, Alabama (HICKSVILLE!). I'd also just gone through a terrible break-up, so my social life was back to square one. I pretty much sulked that whole summer away.

The first day of school came, and I was taking a mythology class. This weird pseudo-goth girl seemed to take an interest in me, and we ended up being assigned to the same group. Lacking any other social options, I politely feigned interest in her weirdo hobbies. Apparently, her father had this game about vampires living in the modern world...

Over a decade later, that weird girl is my wife, and that introduction to Vampire: the Masquerade turned me into a relatively popular ST/GM for World of Darkness, Exalted, D&D 4e/5e, and FFG Star Wars.

That's precious, user

My first DM back in highschool, the friend of the sister of a friend, an older half-punk half-goth that liked to hang out with us 14 year old dorks.
She played it a bit too magical realmy and a bit too soap-opary, but she put her everything into in and made us all fall in love with the game and with her.
The fact that she jerked me off in a movie theater and then took me home to take the rest of my virginity and then dated me for two years probably helped too

Myself.

I started RPing on anime themed internet chat rooms at the age of 10, joined actually wholesome RP games via BYOND at 11 since I didn't understand why every other 10 year old sucked at writing and was a murderhobo on the chat rooms, and sought maturity in my communities. I always knew what DnD was, not sure from where exactly, but I didn't really "discover DnD" until senior year in HS after talking with a qt about her campaign and getting the real scoop on it. Didn't actually play until I was in college though.

My first campaign was terrible and the members sucked and only dragged each other down. Now in present time after ditching them for their constant drama I'm tabletop less in whole.

Myself. Wandered into a RP custom game while trawling around on the Battle.net game browser in Warcraft 3.

I was about nine or ten, so I wound up metagaming like an ass and being just generally terrible, but I eventually worked out most of my bad habits and went on to have a lot of fun. Made friends with another guy who liked RPing gnolls and we wound up setting up a big continuous gnoll empire... thing.

I still try and sneak Grank (my gnoll character) into other settings just because.

Went on to do forum RP on World of Warcraft's World's End Tavern board and then into in-game RP a little later. Started proper table top with some friends in sophomore year of highschool. Five years later and we're actually still going on that campaign.

You, Veeky Forums.

My dad used to bring me along on game nights because my mom did not want me around.

Around 12, they needed another meat shield so I was taught to play and been playing off and on since then.

Customizable miniatures

Should've tried to join the qt's game, sounds like

also, is there a larger version of this picture available anywhere? iqdb strikes out

I wanted to but the members she was playing with had some misplaced hate toward me for and I quote "trying to steal their queen."

Biggest one I could find.

I read an omnibus of the books of CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!! when I was in highschool. I searched him on google, and found 1d4chan, and found everything else from there