/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Tavern Brawler Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Thread discussion prompt: Your most memorable 5e moment wherein you were forced to use improvised weapons - where did it take place? - what did you use as a weapon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MaN2wQ3yMnc
youtube.com/watch?v=uh-eOXkCyoc
dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've already thought the build out, I just didn't want to go into detail.

>Champion3

You blew it.

What are some motivations for a Doppelganger PC to adventure and, more importantly, stick with the party?

le champion is awful meme

Yes, it's pretty boring as a standalone class, but that sweet sweet 10% crit stacking with sneak attack and savage attacks is quite mechanically valuable. Battlemaster is also an option (it's proposed as an option later in that .txt) for precision attack to make sure those assassin autocrits land.

I want to make a brawler sailor character, with some expertise in fist-fighting. So I'm thinking I could either just take Tavern Brawler at 4 or 6 as a Battlemaster Fighter, or start out and play as a monk for a few levels.

Any suggestions? This is just a character I have in mind, but I'd like to have the progression planned out in advance.

find the cutest waifu to morph into

Take monk.

Ask your DM if you can take a monk's unarmed strike damage scaling as a fighting style.

Battlemaster would be nice if the maneuvers weren't expendable. It's hard to suspend the disbelief of a rough and tough brawler who punches krakens in the face yet somehow can only use a cool fighting maneuver X times after which he forgets how to do it and has to sleep for an hour to remember.

So I'd say go monk. But now that I'm looking at it, monk suffers a similar flaw with Ki points.

How about hunter ranger? Take ocean as your favored terrain, you can take the Two-Weapon Fighting style and use Horde-Breaker and Whirlwind attack with your fists.

Two-Weapon Fighting doesn't work with fists.

Right, fist-fighting, despite being literally lighter than weapon fighting by an infinite degree (holding a massive object vs not holding a massive object), does not "use light weapons", so it doesn't apply. God damn it Wizards.

Also, remembering that rangers are half-casters. That doesn't fit the flavor very well either.

>Also, remembering that rangers are half-casters. That doesn't fit the flavor very well either.

Opinion noted.
Sounds pretty reasonable.
Monks with Ki points sounds more reasonable to me than the maneuvers limits, they're more like sorcery points or spell slots in my book.
I wasn't really planning on investing in WIS for spellcasting, anyway.

>fist-fighting, sea-faring pirate
>also, casts tree stride and conjure animals

>Thread discussion prompt: Your most memorable 5e moment wherein you were forced to use improvised weapons - where did it take place? - what did you use as a weapon?
everyone who actually plays 5e should know the best improvised weapon is throwing a bag over the big bads head and grappling them while the rest of your party stabs them in the gut.

He wouldn't be a pirate, I was planning for him to be a Dragonborn sailor who's left the sea for the meantime to get enough cash and wizard buddies to wrangle up a Spelljammer ship so he could sail in the sky and stars.

I think I'll play as a Battlemaster for 6 levels, since I'll be starting with 17 STR, use the two ASI to level up WIS a couple times, and then switch to Monk.

So in the Warcraft threads we had people bitching that 5e couldn't do Warcraft due to it's vancian system.

It's the first time I've heard vancian, but they wanted an alternate magic system. I keep looking but am having no luck finding anything past someones half-baked wet dream of a system. Any ideas for a good alternative? Maybe allowing wizards to have just total points per rest, and they can cast spells (if in book) with those points being subtracted by spell level?

Just use the spell points variant in the DMG.

Jesus Christ I'm retarded. Nvm, me, thanks!

A steady stream of food.

Vancian is basically the fire-and-forget systems wizards used since 1E.

Even when I use SP, I usually limit it to Bard, Sorc, and partial casters.

What are some fun subclass options for Monk?

Calling 5e's casting Vancian is a misnomer. Even without the Spell Points variant, slots act like predivided MP. You don't prepare individual castings of spells, and you don't lose them once cast.

The only thing Vancian about it is that you prepare spells at all, and that's only for a select few casters (wizards, druids, clerics, and paladins).

Open Hand if you want to shove people around with your fists, Shadow if you want to be a ninja, Sun Soul (SCAG) if you want to go full DBZ and shoot energy bolts at everything, Long Death (SCAG) if you want to be scary and refuse to die.

Oh, I guess I mistyped. I meant is it a good idea to take levels in other classes as a monk?

not normally, no. in general if you multi you instead end up mostly rogue or something else instead of monk.
this is because you need all the ki you can get as a monk, and you don't get much.
that said do what you're going to do. there are some good monk multiclasses, and more than that there are some fun ones i've been thinking about that aren't necessarily "good".

Rogue is pretty good. Get three levels (four if you really need an ASI), get some burst damage on one of your hits with a dagger or shortsword plus some nice stuff from the archetypes.

Fighter can be decent as well, fighting style for some extra damage, a little bit more HP, and maneuvers from BM can really boost a monk's combat versatility. You've gotta watch out for this because you can't go past 4th without overlapping your Extra Attacks and getting a dead level in fighter.

Druid and cleric can work good as well. Get some spells and some hitpoints to go with your martial arts, or pick up some solid support spellcasting through cleric. Again, only 3 or 4 levels in there and you're golden.

to find the perfect life to steal

he's very picky and fickle

People STILL don't understand that making an attack role doesn't equate to one swing of a weapon, unarmed combat requires every available limb to be effective.

yo, user here who was a few threads back talking about in my next campaign letting pcs take abilities from other classes/archetypes as feats. so for example a level 4 fighter could take barbarian rage.

can you guys think of any really broken combos? remember that a lot of classes are MAD. currently i have my eye on stacking +stat mod to spell damage abilities, and any martial class that gets many attacks taking improved divine smite. though i doubt those will come up. stat mod might but the thing about stat mod is that you cant both increase multiple casting stats to 20 and burn feats on abilities. improved divine smite is also so late in the game that i'm not too worried about it. the game i'd want would start at level 1.

assassinate has crossed my mind, but i honestly just don't rate it as high as most of the internet rates it. or at least i don't think it happens the same way in game as it does in internet discussion most of the time. anyway a caveat would be that all cross classing would have to follow some kind of storyline, and assassination skills aren't really something most characters get. and anyway this is for one group of players who aren't really that edgy so i'm not too worried.

cunning action was brought up last time and i just don't think its that much of a problem. i think casters would make more use of it, and even them i wouldn't want it before a 20 in my casting stat, so again not until level 12.

what are some cool combos then? i was also considering making cross classing feats require, in addition to level reqs, the same stats as multiclassing requires.

i still think in a party of 4 or 5 people, only 2 or 3 will take a feat at level 4, and then thats already half a game. so i'm not so worried that it will be widespread. this isn't something for wide release anyway, so instead of focusing on why this idea is bad and will ruin the game, focus on what even a good combo will be. early game especially considering i might give feats at 1.

>no more Van Richten's guides ever

This might be a retarded question but what should one do about a Durid PC that wants to act as a mount for another?

If enough people talk about how much they enjoyed Ravenloft they might put out more for it.

Considering Innistrad is probably on top of the poll for the MtG conversion. And the huge reception CoS got, even when it's just a modern update of I6...

I really, really am crossing my fingers that a Van Richten's Guide to the Mists comes out as the Ravenloft SCAG

I think spending a Feat to get something you could get through two or three levels of multiclassing is probably okay-ish? It's probably stronger than multiclassing (either way you're losing an ASI, but leveling up your main class is probably better than the secondary features you get from multiclassing).

My concern would perhaps be spell casters since it gives them the benefit of multiclassing without losing spell levels.

can they wild form into something one size larger than the pc that wants to ride them?

if so they can ride'em. No reason why not.

Put on the Ornstein and Smough theme when they're fighting together.

kinda wanna be a valor crossbow bard, can such a think be done (and be effective?)

originally wanted to be a bard with pistols, but no guns in this setting, so crossbows are the next best. Bows are boring, before you ask

will def need to either go variant human and take crossbow expert at level uno, or go half-elf like I wanted and take it at level 4.

figured i'd use a heavy crossbow most of the time, and switch to a rapier + hand xbow for close range.

Is Cannibalism evil? That is, if I made a Druid or barbarian or even cleric that practices ritual cannibalism of the recently deceased, would he evil by default?

Technically, no. As long as he doesn't make them dead.

What if he kills some bandits or cultists because they're a danger/it's his quest, then strings them up and butchers them?

If they're minmaxxing, throw in back pain and saddling complications.
If they're just trying to have fun with a concept, let them do it.

If you've got Crossbow Expert you're better using a Hand Crossbow than a Heavy Crossbow IIRC. The bonus action attack is great.

Crossbow and Rapier doesn't work very well as you need a free hand to reload the Hand Crossbow.

If you're starting high enough then Half Elf with the Feat is probably better but below level 4 I'd recommend being Human.

You can still read the old ones

Purify Food and Drink would work on a corpse, not a live person

Does anyone know of any good channels to watch on the tubes or twitch. I am a new Dm and want to get a few ideas for my campaign.

Any DMs of CoS here? Thinking about first introduction for Strahd.

Players currently at village of Barovia and will be spending night at mansion with Ireena and Ismark.

Thinking about having Strahd and entourage turn up, with a character spotting cloaked dark figures appearing out of the mist

Strahd will then taunt the characters while zombies and wolves try to get inside

>zombies and wolves try to get inside
I read that as "Zombies riding wolves try to get inside"
Now I wanna do that

That sounds good. Just don't have Strahd show up too often.

The book says he should show up often though

I want to make a comissar/warlord type of character. Is valor bard the closest thing there is to it?

banneret

Don't know about you guys but the Banneret is a little underwhelming. I'd go Valor Bard unless you specifically don't want a magical character, then Battle Master or Banneret would work. Banneret leans more towards support while BM would lean a little towards direct/indirect offense

PDK/Banneret or Battlemaster with the appropriate maneuvers. Bard is fine, but is a much better support as Lore, which then loses the warrior touch.

Yes it does say the more often the better but I had excellent success with if the characters stay too long in a town or revisit a place more than twice Strahd shows up. If he shows up every night then the players will probably get sick of having to deal with him every time.

I watch this guy DM his group every now and then.

He just started and he does it once or twice a week.

The videos are kinda long though.

twitch
roarwaffle

Is it played online or in person

Critical Role is entertaining, and Mercer is certainly a skilled entertainer/DM, although some find his campaign style outside their personal taste.

It is played online through Roll20.

pass

What is wrong with online?

Just bad

What is bad about it?

all the different audio feeds, talking over one another, people not knowing whats going on, its just awkward

You get that even in a game where everyone is right in front of you. You have people talking over each other with cross talking and others not paying attention in combat so they take forever when their turn comes up.

I was thinking of that awesome Fire Emblem villain, personally.

I dont have any min maxers in this lot, this might be an amusing campaign.

The Black Knight?

youtube.com/watch?v=MaN2wQ3yMnc

No, but the correct game. The Mad King.

Not him, but I've been heavily spoiled by Critical Role and can't stand to deal with your average campaign recordings anymore.

I want to do a psychic cavalier, just the big issue is call steed being paladin spell.

Gonna see if I can spin it as a warlock spell, or a twist on chain pact. One steed and gives find steed spell over normal familiar.

So other than opinions on that bit I ask what the best level spread would be for fighterlock. Not too heavy on the warlock side, I was thinking 12/8 at the end but if I were to start lv1 this spread not sure the order, never dual classed.

Best Fire Emblem game

youtube.com/watch?v=uh-eOXkCyoc

If you're multiclassing as Warlock you're almost certainly only going two or three levels into Warlock. There's so little to gain from further levels compared to extra Fighter attacks or whatever.

What's wrong with refluffing Paladin for your concept?

Could ask DM if you could have a modified GOO spell list, and go V.Human and take mounted combatant

Did anything ever come of all the homebrew classes/paths that were designed and modified by /5eg/ over the past few days? I thought I saw where someone was combining them into a supplement or something.

Risen! Wolves! Risen riding wolves!

Yeah I was thinking at most, 4 levels into warlock but my only issue is I don't know when.

I'm in two campaigns this is a back up for so in one it'd be lv1-4 and the other 10-13 so not sure the level order, like Fighter - Warlock 3 - Rest fighter or what not.

Also I want to use the actual Fighter Cavalier path from UA, though one of my first thoughts for this was 7 levels in that as well as Paladin/Warlock multiclass. Got a bit messy though.

Yeah, a modified list or just find steed instead of familiar for chain is what I might go for. Definitely going Human for mounted combatant.

Remember to go bladelock, and dual-wield lances with Dual Fighter

I still haven't gotten around to putting my Reaver and Mage Hunter into PDFs, but I imagine I'll have time to do it tonight

Also working on a ki-based fighter. What would be a good name for a sword-using martial artist with an eastern flavor other than samurai or swordsage?

Kensai works. I imagine that name will see use perhaps as a monk path later though.

Yeah that's why I'm reluctant to use Swordsage, or Kensei even

I considered "Blade Artist" but it kinda sounds dumb

This merits some more thinking

Is there a feat with proficiency or an increased damage die for improvised weapons?

Could use Blademaster or something of the sort. Swordsman, even

>Also working on a ki-based fighter. What would be a good name for a sword-using martial artist with an eastern flavor other than samurai or swordsage?

Monk.

Edge Master

I think I might go with blademaster, sounds just generic enough

A monk can't use longswords or glaives as part of their martial arts, I'm gonna make a 1/3 ki progression fighter subclass that specializes in the heavier weapon based martial arts, where neither a monk, a fighter, nor a multiclass can quite get

How about "At 3rd level when you take this archetype you can use a longsword or glaive with your martial arts feature"?

Done. Saved you some typing

Are you sure 1/3 is enough? It isn't the kind of power a spellcasting progression is. Compare it to superiority dice (I don't remember that progression off the top of my head tho)

If he wants more fighter than monk in the mix what the hell is wrong with that?

Is wild magic sorcerer a great character choice, or the greatest character choice?
I'm really excited to play one for the first time in my new campaign.

Should I multiclass into anything?

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters

Get goblins and firbolgs, maybe kobolds too? Please dear jesus.

Fighters get 4 sup dice to start and end up with 6 total

The blademaster will start with one ki point at lv 3 and end up with 6 total as well, it balances out I think, more linear, but I could also make it the same as battlemaster

I appreciate your concern for my fingers, but I want to make a fighter archetype, not a monk one. This guy might wear heavy armor, for one, which is incompatible with monk

I'm not saying it can't be a Fighter archetype, but since it has a lot in common with the Monk (lighter armor, Ki, eastern flavor), which is also a fine option, then a tiny sentence is all it needs to enable the basic concept.

So who is excited about the new monster manual, titled Volo's Guide to Monsters.? It's going to come with both new monsters as well as official monstrous races for creatures such as goblins and orcs.

This thing is going to be awesome. I can't wait for November.

Monk comes with a lot of stuff he may not wish to use and would just go to waste. Unarmed damage would barely be used if you weren't fighting unarmed, for instance. Martial arts let's you get that extra hit or flurry regardless but he probably wants a different gimmick. And on that note...

What's your gimmick here?

Tavern brawler gives you proficiency with improvised weapons as well as allows your fists to hit as hard as improvised weapons. Pretty rad imo.

A samurai-type essentially

Can use longswords and glaives, lv3 feature will be spending a ki point to disarm, push or prevent reactions, later on gets to do fancy draw-strikes and such

Don't have much more than a general concept honestly, but I had this idea of making fighter, rogue and barbarian subtypes that use monk-like features. I started with pic related and now am moving to the others

Wrong picture, this is the updated one