7th Sea 2e - Ch. 2 Uikku's Curse

So, is there even a real chance of failure when players roll or is it at best "you succeed but less awesomely as you want?" Or is "not doing what you want" only occurring in a dramatic sequence when they're out of raises?

For Action Sequences, they can be cock-blocked if the NPC is trying to do the same thing or something against one of the PC's actions, and the NPC spent more raises to do so.

For normal Risks or Action Sequences where they're not opposed though, as long as they're not unskilled or improvising (which bumps the necessary number of raises to be spent from 1 to 2-3), it's almost a guaranteed thing that they can succeed.

So only way you could really push to have players opt to fail on a Risk (assuming they have the necessary amount of Raises) is if you give particularly good Opportunities or bad Consequences that'd be enough incentive to ignore doing their initial action.

Some of the pronunciations in this book make me angry.

like what?

i would like to point out an unplayable issue with the wealth system.

"although if a player is specifically trying to
save for something expensive (if she wants to own her own ship, for example) a GM might allow them to “bank” some of their Wealth points. A good general
rule is that a Hero loses at least half of their total current Wealth at the end of each game session."

assuming the base 3 point limit on starting skills its impossible to actually save enough for a ship.

3/2=1.5 after 1 session round down to 1.
1+3 = 4/2 = 2 after 2 sessions
2+3 = 5/2 =2.5 round down. you end up back at 2.

if you let halves go untouched
1.5+3=4.5/2 = 2.5
(2.5+3)/2=5.5/2 = 2.5+.5=3
(3+3)/2=3

maximum build-able wealth without advancements or home-brewing that the players can pool wealth (which isn't touched on to y knowledge), caps at 3

part 2: complaints about "consequences"

"After hearing Approaches, the GM tells everyone what the Consequences and Opportunities are, if any, and when those Consequences or Opportunities occur."

as written, the GM tells the players how much damage they take from a given hazard or element of the scene. this isnt the player knowing "i might get hurt by the fire" and making a judgement call.

this is a narrativist system where the GM tells the player "spend part of your actions for X, or else im going to hit you with this stick."

furthermore the way that the wealth system is written, to not keep track of weapons etc that the part might have, and not governing what gear they can start with, it makes the firearms rules utterly narritivist and autistic.

it takes about 5 raises to reload a musket. fine. it takes a long time to reload that kind of weapon. but since we can't track how many of a weapon someone has, the rules as written don't allow a player to simply carry a brace of 6 pistols and fire off in rapid succession.

this swashbuckling and piracy game is incapable of emulating blackbeard.

Part 4: i jump on the table and run out of swordfighting.

the better question about the raises pool system, is why does the game punish you for improvising and doing multiple things in a round?

if im in a swordfight with someone, and i want to jump up on the table and kick something in the enemy's face, thats not related to using my sword. so it takes an extra raise. if im fighting with 3 raises against an enemy with 3 raises, then by jumping on the table, i have just 1 raise left for the actual swordfight. which means that an enemy with 3 raises is going to get in much mroe damage because i dont have the option of parrying anymore.

you know you've dun goofed when your system is worse and feels more restrictive when doing multiple things in a round than d20 RAW.

"carry a brace of pistols" has always been an option in games like this, including mk1. its existence as a notion is less a problem than apparently the rules never thinking anyone would actually do it. that said i'm not sure how the rules don't allow a player to do that so long as they make it clear in advance.

We must remember that a Firearm deal Dramatic Wound, no matter if somebody can resist somehow Wounds. So carrying 10 Firearms means that a Strength 10 Villain means nothing.

How about carrying Aim/2 rounded up of Firearms? 1-2 Aim, that's 1 Firearm. 3-4 Aim, 2 Firearms. 5 Aim, 3 Firearms. An Advantage would give an additional Firearm or Wits/2 rounded up of Firearms.

>We must remember that a Firearm deal Dramatic Wound, no matter if somebody can resist somehow Wounds. So carrying 10 Firearms means that a Strength 10 Villain means nothing.
It's kind of a necessary compromise when you write a rule system that's super narrative on the one hand by extremely anal about its combat rules on the other. is correct. RAW, the situation is annoying no matter how you look at it. Either you're artificially forbidding players from doing something perfectly appropriate for the story, or you're throwing game balance to the dogs because there's nothing to prevent a character from carrying a whole bunch of death ray pistols.

Of course, a third option would be to make pistols less ridiculously powerful.

I think there needs to be a good blend. It makes sense for guns to be nasty, AND let the brace of pistols trope survive AND not make them autokill blasters

I would assume you don't take it out of what you've banked. It doesn't make sense to set money aside and then use it for carousing and living expenses anyway. Even then treasure, trade and pay are probably going to do the heavy lifting on your big purchases.

i suppose. it would help if they had edited it once even, instead of rushing out the fucking book on a legal pad like George Lucas did with the prequels.

as written it says "total wealth". idk. i feel like im going to have to forge this thing into a home made 2.5 to make the potentially good ideas usable.

Well they have delayed printing and put up preview 2 so we're getting at least two rounds of editing. Even then you'll probably have to bash it into working order but to hear 1e vets tell it nobody's played RAW 7th Sea in 15 years either.

does anyone play raw anything? i had a group play an extended risus game and we even homebrewed that.

As a 1e vet, nobody actually played RAW 7th Sea even back then.

The parts that made 7th Sea work were (in rough order):
-the genre (nobody else really did a swashbuckling game that FELT "swashbuckl-y"),
-the setting (using NOT!Europe meant that everybody could have a fast and mostly accurate picture of what things meant without reading a ton of background fluff),
-the narrative structure and focus on over-the-top heroics (Brute Squad rules, "You can't die", etc),
-the general Roll&Keep system (flexible enough to be houseruled about however you wanted it to and still more or less function)

The majority of the actual game rules NEVER worked well. TNs NEVER matched up well with the RAW dice rolled, especially for new PCs. Character creation was a joke (100HPs...). The ship rules were *especially* a joke. The dueling rules were detailed and fantastic, but that actually felt like an accidental consequence. Magic was either useless or completely game-breaking without much middle ground, and required such an investment that you basically had to suck up being useless for 20+ game sessions until you crossed the "break the game" threshold. And then there was the whole issue with having unspent Drama Dice turn into bonus XP...thus incentivizing people NOT to spend their DDs when the mechanics of the system assumed that you'd spent at least 1 DD on *every* important roll.

RAW 1e 7th Sea just wasn't a thing after the 2nd session you actually played. It was a lot like playing AD&D; the game gave you a reasonably flexible rules framework and a really neat setting, and then you went and tweaked the shit out of the rules to make them what your group actually wanted to play.

As somebody who got interested in 7th sea due to 2nd edition, but is looking at playing 1st edition instead, how much work is required to make 1e playable?

A fairly solid amount, beginning with character creation and moving the whole way through.

Well, it depends on what you want out of it, honestly. IMO it takes a fair amount of work, but because of the flexibility of the R&K system, it's not *hard* work.

I wouldn't normally do this, but here's my house rule packet for my 1e campaign. Keep in mind that this is a rules packet that's covering the core book and *all* of the nation and secret society sourcebooks. It's optimized for my specific campaign world and the feel I wanted out of the game (I really despise the "Scooby-Doo and the 3 Musketeers meet Cthulhu" feel the 7th Sea metaplot developed into later on), but you could take just the character creation section out of there and it would solve about 80% of the issues. So really, the first 5 pages are the important ones.

There's also a complete naval wargame I wrote at the end of the PF which completely excises and replaces the existing naval rules. My table really likes tabletop wargames, so they wanted a naval game with more detail. If you like the RAW, or don't plan on using ships that much, then feel free to ignore it.

>I really despise the "Scooby-Doo and the 3 Musketeers meet Cthulhu" feel the 7th Sea metaplot developed into later on

I don't think ANYONE actually liked it.
It reeked of early 90's RPG metaplot that happened 2 to 3 years after that had fallen completely out of fashion and had been proven to not be nearly as popular as everyone thought.

So does anybody have the new update for the core preview?

Yeah, I just got it.
It's not really too much different but for a black and white map that looks more old-fashioned and thus could be used in-world.

I hear they tweaked the bit about Murder, which is good if only so people can talk about something else for a bit.

>V2

Still no Advantages & Skills table. You want to know where is your Advantage in the list? Fuck you, check the last page of the book.
Vodacce Princes still don't have explained what they are know for. Do you know what part of the economy Villanova has control over? Lucani?
Still no example character creation.

The logo hasn't changed...

So what did they change in V2? Range? Payload? Can they hit London yet?

>So, is there even a real chance of failure when players roll or is it at best "you succeed but less awesomely as you want?" Or is "not doing what you want" only occurring in a dramatic sequence when they're out of raises?
You mean a heroic swashbuckling genre-game makes heroic swashbucklers only fail when they are either out of plot-shield, or directly opposed by plot-shielded villians?

How subversive. What a failure to simulate the genre.

Emulating a genre is a combination of emulating it through description and through gameplay. Yes, the end result "in-universe" looks like a swashbuckling story, but to the players around the table, it is missing the most vital element thereof: a sense of danger.

This is a constant problem with the rules. Because of the way the narrativist system works, few things are ever surprised, suspenseful or threatening to the players. Failure is near impossible unless the player explicitly wishes for it, all the possible consequences of an action are laid out by the GM beforehand (and the player even gets to choose!), the rolling mechanic means that the "dynamic, sandbox-y" combat of swashbuckling films can hardly take place (since you need to establish what you're doing, and are very limited in it, before the round starts), etc.

The game suffers from a serious problem of not knowing what it truly wants to be. It wants to be Wushu, but it can't be because Wushu is an almost purely narrativist system and the game feels the need to include just enough rules to get in the way. It wants to be Apocalypse World, but it can't pull that off quite well, either, because its rules aren't tight ENOUGH. It wants to be Houses of the Blooded, but HotB's system worked as great as it did because that game was almost 100% player driven, with most of the game revolving around the players setting themselves up against each other. The same principles can't work for a game which is is expected to have a traditional players-GM dynamic and set plots.

It lands in the middle between all those games it tries to emulate with the end result being inferior to all of them.

>it is missing the most vital element thereof: a sense of danger.
Unless you... I don't know... make them actually use their plot-shield resources (called raises in this system) and pit them against worthy foes. It's the same as with literally every system with a clear seperation between hero and mook, and with plot-shield resources. Whether they are called bennies, FATE points, Healing Surges, or Raises, it works if you actually make the players use them to be heroic, as the design intended.

Funny: Fate suffers from the exact same problem. It's not "suspense" if you ask your GM to kill the character.

>It's not "suspense" if you ask your GM to kill the character.
And "suspense" is only one of many storytelling tools and tones in the toolbox of the half-decent DM

except risk (not fake "risk" of completely known sets of numbers and consequences the gm threatens you with), real risk, is what makes it a role playing GAME.

Too bad it's absolutely vital to the genre the game is purporting to emulate.

I equate it to fiction where the threat of death and risk to main characters is pretty obviously minimal (either its a fully of obvious Good Always Triumphs,or the Author is in Love with their own character) but they still manage to make you like the characters involved and feel invested in the Plot.

Sure the risk isnt there but you still want to follow the story.

i suppose this is one of those things thats subjective to each persons ida of role playing games, bu8t the ability for players and gms to tell a collective story that has some rules governing it and real risk is what makes the medium special, and distinct from just sitting around telling a story the way kids would play pretend.

>I really despise the "Scooby-Doo and the 3 Musketeers meet Cthulhu" feel the 7th Sea metaplot developed into later on

As someone not overly familiar with 1st Ed and only knows a little through the original couple books, could you please explain what you mean?

I ask mainly as our GM has decided we must now play 2nEd and I do not reallyl like the sound of that kind of game.

>As someone not overly familiar with 1st Ed and only knows a little through the original couple books, could you please explain what you mean?
1st ed 7th Sea was a very metaplot heavy game. Towards the end of its life, it kind of went off the rails and the courtly intrigue and pirate action somehow gave place to a lot of Lovecraftian crap about an alien city rising from the ocean filled with robots and demons.

>the ability for players and gms to tell a collective story that has some rules governing it and real risk
My good man
>some rules governing it
>real risk
These are two distinct features. You may need both to have fun, but some may be content just one, the other, or neither.

>Lovecraftian crap about an alien city rising from the ocean filled with robots and demons.

i..uh..what?

I thought this was Three Musketeers the game?

>1st ed 7th Sea was a very metaplot heavy game. Towards the end of its life, it kind of went off the rails and the courtly intrigue and pirate action somehow gave place to a lot of Lovecraftian crap about an alien city rising from the ocean filled with robots and demons.
And this may be something that they are actively trying to avoid this time, in favor of
>fiction where the threat of death and risk to main characters is pretty obviously minimal (either its a fully of obvious Good Always Triumphs,or the Author is in Love with their own character) but they still manage to make you like the characters involved and feel invested in the Plot.

Given the fact that the bloated eldritch horror lore that was not in-line with the surface marketing is what killed the game the first time (discouraging new players while the existing fanbase slowly fell away, until only the most autistic lorefags remained) it would make a lot of sense to intentionally move away from that, and mechanically design your game to actively fight that sort of tone,

The book is quite clearly not pushing a freeform approach. It's not even really "rules lite", unless you suffer from the same form of autism which causes Onyx Path writers to always confuse "bad rules" with "rules lite".

It has a lot of rules. Enough that it impedes pace and impairs drama. They're just not good ones.

that's why I started with

>i suppose this is one of those things thats subjective to each persons ida of role playing games

if rules that are only able to properly govern a traditional narritive without providing many elements of genuine risk to the player, thats fine. im happy for you. i hope you have fun.

but its not for everyone. and to a lot of people (but of course not everyone) the feeling of overcoming genuine risk is a big part of the appeal. its one thing to tell a story about dashing characters who, through daring and bold action, save the day, thwart the evil viscount, and help someone's true love triumph.

its a different feeling entirely for the PLAYERS to have genuinely overcome some kind of risk in the process. its kind of like the difference between movies and video games.

I like the goofy as fuck ANCIENT ALIENS crap. I find it delightfully batshit so long as everyone's on the same page with it.

The only thing I didn't like was Avalon and Fair folk.

Fuck Avalon

the hell is wrong with Avalon? its just the bacwards neighbour that stil believes in goblins and elves when everyone else knows its just theAlmighty fucking with you

there's an immortal king of not!ireland that's fanatically loyal to the queen of not!england.

only because the queen of not!england just threw off the not!french who have been doing most of the repressing in living memory

also,hes outright stated to be MAD,what would be crazier for an Irishman?

my real question is, given how his immortality is presented; ie he became so renouned in innish lore that the stories became true... this means someday there will rise an innish independence leader who rises to such prominence as to become a living legend too.

then the country will be locked in an eternal battle between two immortal madmen until judgement day, when the trumpets sound.

how is that not awesome?
youd end up with ireland split into two nations with its two kings eternally locked in combat

so like irl ireland, but with kings. the real question is, how does one get rid of an immortal innishman? mind magic to make people forget?

or is this like whiplash said in iron man 2?

"If you can make god bleed, people will stop believing in him. and there will be blood in the water. and the sharks will come."

you get him drunk?
"After 50 hundred years of incessant violence the Innish kings finally collapsed in exhaustion, their blades red with each others blood and knuckles raw from wear.
The fell to their knees to weak to continue barely able to speak let alone fight.

They simply knelt there on the grass, glaring at one another untill the O'Bannon finally spoke.
"So....down to the pub then?"
The Good Patrick paused, as if to insult his rival king, and then shrugged.
"Well...allright then."
And in they drank and drank until they forgot their woes and found that they were not so different but for their argument.

Thus the two kings have been since that day, wandering drunkenly from on Innish pub to another leaving only once all the booze has been consumded and all Innish dread the day that they find a pub where no alcohol is to be found as the day they sober the violence is sure to ignite once again.

This is why the Innish pubs always keep a special reserve in their cellar, named the Kings Share.

50 hundred years is a bit much isnt it?

Ah, right.That was just meant to be 50

Is it just me, or do the Corruption rules and their whole "never murder" angle meant to offer an additional layer of plot defense to Wick's darling metaplot NPC's?

apparently hes already promised to revise them. id generally adopt the sane version of jedi rules from any star wars game.

killing? yes. cold blooded murder? transgression. i actually dont mind the random chance of turning bad the more you dance the line. but id put it at like, 0%, 10%, 25%, 50%, and then make the last one guaranteed. you want the players to be able to get at least one warning before the dice basically kill their character due to meta concepts.

but yes. as written tis just another way to control the players' actions. which is really dumb since the villains section already has a flat influence cost they can pay to escape from basically any scene.

it strikes me as weird because of the 2 likely types of villains in a swashbuckling game... pirates/guard captains/sword fightey types are fine to kill, for the msot part. and type 2: the aristocrat/influence villain is likely going to have connections that force the pcs to bring him in alive if they dont want their faces on posters.

You know what's funny?
We already get you aren't particularly fond of narrative systems, but you keep repeating yourself anyway.
That's kinda funny.

No, that wasn't why The O'Bannon was immortal.
Basically, he has all the powers of a Sidhe but unlike them he isn't stuck following a narrative or rules and still possesses human free will.
This makes him effectively immortal and unkillable.

which leaves you with an immortal king. so we'd need some way to get rid of his powers. seriously, an immortal person in leadership of any kind is a very bad thing.

The upside to Wick's rules like that is that it's REALLY easy to spot them because of how obvious he makes them.
This makes the game extremely easy to modify because each rule that you need to remove, ignore, or alter is double-underlined by Wick himself basically.

Another layer of making those rules obvious is when you do ignore or alter it you can distantly hear faint echoes of Wick screaming in pain as his heart has palpitations.

The O'Bannon actually removes HIMSELF from the metaplot. He's not figuratively mad, he IS actually insane.
Eventually he does what he always does; he up and leaves without explanation and Inismore falls into civil war right alongside the rest of Avalon as Queen Elaine goes into a coma.

He's done that repeatedly through history; makes a show of "ruling" and then eventually leaving because he's nuts and leaving Inismore to fall into factionalized clans again.

Not really. Neither is your sucking John's dick. Nobody's insulting your precious narrative system, they're pointing out genuine flaws at them.

>He's done that repeatedly through history; makes a show of "ruling" and then eventually leaving because he's nuts and leaving Inismore to fall into factionalized clans again.

THERE ARE NO FLAWS IN WICK'S SYSTEM

so far, i think ive got a shortlist of things that need altering.

1. villains should have 2 strengths; mental and physical. rate as normal, but can be designed to take points from one strength type and put them into the other. ie a cunning noble might be strength 5, but count as 7 for social and mental purposes, and 3 for physical.

2. players should be able to generate 2 types of raises instead of 1 type. this would allow much more flexible movement in a round. purhaps roll 1 skill for combat, and 1 for movement/a utility skill. not sure how many raises from each roll should be put in the pool to keep the action econemy as is, but still let the player jump on a table without running out of sword fighting.

3. banked wealth isn't touched by the arbitrary loss of wealth at the end of the session.

4. double all wealth gains. double listed prices for ships, buildings etc. allow players to buy extra weapons/specific narritive altering equipment for low numbers of wealth.

5. scrap or alter the corruption mechanics as you wish because fuck that shit.

6. somehow unify how brute squad initiative works (always going last) with how initiative and action order is determined by other characters' number of raises. otherwise any brute squad goes after the pcs all get several actions and become incapable of doing anything.

7. come up with some guideline for defending one's self that dopesnt involve incapacitating the brutes. i get what wick was aiming for with encouraging active descriptions and play, but the game is incapable of simulating jack sparrow escaping the firing squad at the docks in the first movie, because the acrobatics would be MANDATED to hurt the brutes.

8. ignore the rules stating you have to tell the players how much damage they'll take from each possible consequence. instead just make sure they know what things need their attention and have the potential to cause damage/impede them.

did i miss anything major?

oh, anyone find it weird how parrying and ripostes dont prevent a hit, but instead retroactively negate damage that just happened? as written the final blow of a duel is impossible to defend against because the damage hits and is calculated, putting you to helpless, BEFORE you get the chance to defend.

John Wick is an asshole and both times I've been GMed by him I've felt bored and vaguely insulted, especially the second time.
Look; we get that you don't like him and don't like the system and aren't going to use it. All three a pretty damn understandable, given the guy in question.
You also aren't actually going to change anyone's mind about modifying the system because they like the setting. That's not how changing people's mind works; they actually have to care about what you say and think first, and unfortunately you came to Veeky Forums so that's kind of precluded that ever happening.

A narrative system isn't "precious", it's just a set of meaningless rules we slap onto the game to make us feel better about playing make believe as adults, just like every other meaningless set of rules. This is why it's easy for me to gut entire sections of it and replace it with something else; I don't care about how "accurate" or "sensible" or "gamey" or "well-designed" the rules are. My only objective is to have fun with my group, and every other subject relevant to the game is a distant secondary concern that I forget about frequently.

Also, my apologies if you have other reasons for coming on here.
No offense is meant.

There's always flaws in his system.
1e was one of the most flawed games our group ever played and houseruled, even from when we first got the core rulebooks.

>7. come up with some guideline for defending one's self that dopesnt involve incapacitating the brutes. i get what wick was aiming for with encouraging active descriptions and play, but the game is incapable of simulating jack sparrow escaping the firing squad at the docks in the first movie, because the acrobatics would be MANDATED to hurt the brutes.

It also fucks over the 'Pacifist priest/Hercule Poirot' sort who turns up in a whole heap of Swashbuckling tales.

'No, you can't just patter and distract the brutes for a while, you have to fight them'

I'm actually just writing Villains up as characters so far.

this is of course, also an option.

if you happen to get to play before i do, make sure to report in with the results of combat. honestly, everyone having 40hits to take, in this particular dueling system, makes me think it will end up being super padded.

i think he designed it with the expectation of his open consequences damage threatening gm method chipping everyone down, but forgot that resting between scenes resets the wound track.

as is, one of the smartest things you could do is take the advantage that lets you spend a hero point and take a DWound to take out a brute squad. take out a squad, get to the "bonus die" part of the track, and then rest. giving you +1 die to everything for the session, while still giving you 40 hits to take.

Are you agreeing or arguing with the guy? I think you might've linked to the wrong post.

Dramatic wounds don't actually heal naturally with rest, only regular wounds do that. Dramatic wounds require either some special effect, actual medical treatment (which typically takes a few hours and a wealth point to heal one wound) or they just stay until the end of the game session.

I'm saying he's right about everything he says, but also that coming on here and trumpeting it isn't actually going to convince anyone not to play this game, which begs the question of why he's here at all.

I don't take rules particularly seriously due to their inherently arbitrary nature, so I don't care what RAW is because RAW has never even once been relevant to my tabletop group having fun, which is literally the only measurable metric I rate a game by since nobody else's opinion on here is particularly relevant to it.
I'm not one of those guys who comes into Veeky Forums and whines about a system because he doesn't actually ever get a chance to play and thus it's the only activity related to RPing he can do.
I also don't really understand people getting mildly triggered over some system when we always end up changing the RAW for our house anyway.

Coming onto Veeky Forums and complaining about a thing to people who inherently don't care about your opinions because you're just "user" to them seems like a huge waste of time to me.
I get onto Veeky Forums to exchange and discuss ideas for GMing and characters in various settings or systems I run to some degree, not to rant pointlessly about some designer I probably actually have more reason to hate then HE does because I've actually met the asshat twice in my life and had to deal with him on a personal level.

Edit:
Sorry misunderstood the post. I still think that the wound track wouldn't reset entirely while allowing you to maintain your first dramatic wound bonus. Most likely I would just rule that it resets to the top of the dramatic wound in question.

Speaking of Wounds, I was thinking of linking it in my game to your Resolve somehow and testing that a few times before moving onto something else if that doesn't work.

Don't worry, bud. First time on Veeky Forums is always hard. You're gonna love it here in a few years.

everyone takes the hazing. everyone gets shit. some people get shit in one thread while 1 tab over their ideas are being held up as an interesting take on a system.

welcome to the community boyo. we're all autistic here. welcome to the family.

Been here for some time actually.
Since...goddamn, '06? Fuck I'm old.
You probably know how it is; a friend keeps talking about it and so you go and check it out yourself and find both stuff you like and stuff you hate, etc.
I used to be much more REEEE about things (well, not actually REEEE because that wasn't a thing quite yet) on Veeky Forums that annoyed me, but I got over myself eventually and learned to take the internet less seriously.

How?

meant to reply to

the more we talk about fixing it, the more our proposed fixes resemble 1e.

Well my IDEA at least is kinda like the old Flesh Wound/Dramatic wound thing.
You get a number of Flesh Wounds equal to Brawn and a number of Dramatic Wounds linked to Resolve, but I don't know how that would actually work in play quite yet as I only just thought it up today.

1e has good ideas.
2e good ideas too.

hmm...

instead of 10, the number of flesh wounds is equal to brawn, or brawnX2 depending on taste. the first wound after that is dramatic. you can tak as many dramatic wounds as your resolve before becoming helpless.

make the first dramatic wound grant a +1 value to all dice instead of a bonus die. every dramatic wound after that inflicts a penalty die to the hero or a bonus die to any villains/npcs opposing him.

this is just spitballing. idk.

oh i know. i was mostly joking. thats the really frustrating thing. when i saw the quick start playtest i assumed it was a super trimmed down rough version of what we'd see. now...

there are ideas i like in therwe. but everything so far in 2e feels unrefined and not thought out. i like the grouping dice thing to generate raises. however, this makes the mathematic curve of the dice roll ssuper strict. at most you can hope for dice pool/2 in raises, unless you gret 10s. but 2d10 is very likely to generate a total of 10. so its almost just rolling to test for natural 10s.

i like he villain influence ideas. but the game suggests refilling a villains influence by fiat if you want. i also have a little bit of hesitation with influence translating 1 to 1 to combat dice pools.

That's kinda what I had in mind, something along the sort.

>i like he villain influence ideas. but the game suggests refilling a villains influence by fiat if you want. i also have a little bit of hesitation with influence translating 1 to 1 to combat dice pools

Even as I planned to give Villains hero-like stat blocks I was still planning on using Influence.
Not being a Wick and saying "and then he refills it because he did shit off-screen" like it suggests though.

as a gm i sometimes think i come off as playing against the players, when really im just doing my best to roll play the villains.

i, and most villains that might use influence, get more of a kick and demonstrate more menace tot he players to organically out-plan them. brute squads are cheap. minion villains are cheap. it should be easy to set up a (detectable if they pay attention) diversion scheme.

showing back up with a new armada isn't as interesting as the players saving some kidnapping victim only to realize some cuck in another county died "from illness" and now Count Dickface is a duke in charge of twice as much land and manpower.

and then they realize that he's literally never kidnapped anyone before and prefers murder and trickery to blackmail. shit.

Speaking of, I hope there ARE more counts and Vicounts and dukes and barons and shit in 2e.
1e 7th Sea felt more like ASoIaF where everyone was just "Lord", which makes sense for the books, but noble titles and ranks are awesome and it's something impprtant to Europe that needs to be utilized more in fiction.

CK2 has beaten into me the importance of distinct titles of nobility. speaking of i might need to play more than my measly 30 hours to get into scheming villain mode for 7th sea.

its good to at least be able to see the character's rationale when you have him do something so insane as to imprison a 10 year old boy and declare war on his aging widowed mother.

>2. players should be able to generate 2 types of raises instead of 1 type. this would allow much more flexible movement in a round. purhaps roll 1 skill for combat, and 1 for movement/a utility skill. not sure how many raises from each roll should be put in the pool to keep the action econemy as is, but still let the player jump on a table without running out of sword fighting.

This seems like a good idea and I'd like to develop it further, in a way that doesnt devolve into needing too much bean counting of Type A and Type B raises

maybe you roll the one skill, but pick a second, and can use at most half your raises as if they were from the second skill?

also i just noticed, they still have the rule that gives bonus dice for describing your action, but you could conceivably get penalized raises for describing your action in a way a particularly Wickish GM deems "unrelated" to the skill.

"oh well you're swordfighting in such an acrobatic WAY"

The amount of churches still makes little sense, if you read the Organization part of the Vaticine Church.
>10 Churches per Parish
>10 Parish per Diocese
>10 Diocese per ArchDiocese
>10 ArchDiocese
That makes only 10k Churches which is fucking low as fuck for not!Europe. And it makes no sense. If they are strict about the rule of 10, then what if somebody wants to build a new village? It's stated that the first building that will be built is the church. What if the local Parish already has 10 Churches? A new Parish? Okay, what if the Diocese has already 10 Parishes? A new Diocese? Okay, what if the... you get the point. Suddenly you get 11 Archdioceses that go against their own rules, which are retarded. Whoever thought of this failed basic math.

in my second full read through. just got to the sailing section. by Gygax's ponytail! They've dun goofed so hard. They have these sections describing the different vague types of ships, then give every ship identical stats.

tghe only thing separating one ship from another is a background and what country built it. also apparently no Montaigne ever threw together a cheap, bulky trading ship. because every one of their ships get bonus dice to social interactions when dealing with other ships... apparently EVEN when dealing with Castille, who they are currently waging war against.

I'm sad that Castille now doesn't have their Armada, which means Avalon's navy is unstoppable.

further proof, along with the slipshop editing, that this was ghost written by George Lucas.

>always 10 there are, no more, no less. but which was destroyed? the parish, or the diocese?

Maybe it would make sense if there was some more info, but this is unclear as fuck. Uikku at his finest.

This is the system in which there's no difference between punching a dude, smashing them with a beer mug, slicing at them with a knife, stabbing them with a rapier or crushing them with a blacksmith's hammer. Do you honestly expect for it to give different stats to different ships?

man, when you put it in perspective, this game delivers less nuance and detail than Sid Meier's Pirates!; a game which was a remake of a NES game made in 2004...

still, I'm determined to keep hitting this fucking pdf until it gives me every ounce of play-ability I was promised. This might be the first book that I can bring myself to physically write in the margins of, fixing every single fucking thing.

the real joke, was that when my friend and i went in on a kickstarter bonus together, the collection of 1e pdfs they sent him was less complete than on that i grabbed off the trove links around Veeky Forums.

Well it's a religion so they probably just bullshit a bit with some creative accounting and come up with a reason the Creator says it's fine.