>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers (currently mostly for 40k proxies and conversions)
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>How to Strip
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zn5X21xlDbg
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/08/basics-line-highlighting-made-simple.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

reposting intestines-chan from the other thread

I would

to the ogre user, if you make the pose with two arms doen it will look even gorilier, if you want him to be" releasing you need to separate the legs so that he looks like he is pushing and maybe give a turn to his bodylike he is channeling his push one one shoulder only

repost of my powerfist, started the lightning effect and i like how it looks. i experimenterd with drybrushing a glow effect but it looked like shit and i had to repaint the entire pinky.

more updates will follow, sorry if i post to much pics with slow progress but i'm still half hyped and half awed about having a titan.

Lightning looks good, green looks thick. Lots of visible brushmarks.

any tips for water effects?

Reposting for all of ork kind.

Finished

And this git

Happy with this wire

Ooh, a penanggalan. What system is it for?

p sure it's Malifaux

yeah, malifaux
I used gloss varnish

I love it when simple Ork conversions come together well, especially that Nob conversion and the Orks with hats. It has somewhat of an understated Blood Axes feel to it.

first mini ever and I even made an attempt at the lightbox thing so pls no bully

What color should I paint the gun / backpack? I can't decide. (Not that the rest of him is meant to be done.)

Thin your paints a bit, user. You're almost there. Also, do black for the stock of the gun, then green for the barrel. Backpack is your choice of what looks best.

Can we just take a second to appreciate that this first time painter took the ten seconds to make sure we could actually see his miniature to critique it? I wish more newbies would do this.

I think the blue you have for your Tau skin is too dark; it looks really hard to highlight. I also can't tell if the coverage on it is bad or if it's overwashed; I suspect the former because that black looks like it might just be primer.

Your green looks prickly, but I can't tell if it's because of the image compression hiding brushstrokes or if your primer went on fuzzy. Either way, I actually really like the color, and I can see some line highlighting too. The lines look a little sloppy, but the color is again good--try highlighting with the side of your brush to get them thinner. You might still struggle with it, but your hand muscles will adapt in time.

I think the red icon on the green is a pretty good look. It reminds me of old mecha anime a little. I think you could benefit from some careful washing in the crevices of the symbol to hide where your red went over the lines.

Are the cloth bits and black armor on the model supposed to look like that? As it is, they look like unpainted primer. If you paint them a medium to dark grey, and then put a black wash over it, I think that will look a lot better. You never want the main color you're putting down to be just black.

As for the gun and backpack, I think you could do worse than the grey/metallic scheme you have now. It looks very near-future, which is pretty stylish.

Overall, there are a lot of disparate colors on the model, but a lighter blue skin will go a long way towards tying it together and making red the highlight, instead of contrasting with the blue so much. Consider something like The Fang or Russ Grey as your skin tone instead.

Going for a predominantly NASA-esque white for my Solar Auxilia tanks with orange markings, ala The Martian. My SA soldiers have bare steel armour, orange coveralls and white piping.

How does it look? Apart from the vertical stripe on the side of the hull what other details on the tanks (2 Dracosans and a Valdor tank hunter) should be picked out in orange?

>Thin your paints a bit, user.

I've been trying, it's so hard to tell where the right amount of thinness is, I can't seem to find the right balance between water and paint

>Also, do black for the stock of the gun, then green for the barrel.

The same green as the armor (which is castellen green)? Or loren green, which I have been (attempting, poorly) to use as a highlight.

>I can't seem to find the right balance between water and paint
I've got you covered. Put some paint on your brush. Not a ton, but about what you'd use to paint with. Now dip the tip into some water for just a second. pull it out, and lay it sideways on a paper towel to pull out excess water. When the paint doesn't spread out from the point of contact via capillary action, your paint is thinned and ready to go.

>I think the blue you have for your Tau skin is too dark; it looks really hard to highlight.

Yeah, it came out darker than I wanted it to, I wasn't sure exactly what colors to use. I'll do it differently next time.

>I also can't tell if the coverage on it is bad or if it's overwashed; I suspect the former because that black looks like it might just be primer.

Probably overwashed, I didn't like the blue I used so I threw guilliman blue all over it to see if that helped. The primer is gray, see: the gun/backpack.

>Your green looks prickly, but I can't tell if it's because of the image compression hiding brushstrokes or if your primer went on fuzzy.

frowntown

>Either way, I actually really like the color,

:D

(to be continued)

For the thinning, use your thumbnail as a a good surface to test how thin it is. You don't want it to be too watery/clear at the edges, but you don't want it to lump up either.

Paint it the same way you would the armor. Use pic related and copy where the black is and where the orange is, make it green instead.

As for the skin, here you go: youtube.com/watch?v=Zn5X21xlDbg

>I think the red icon on the green is a pretty good look. It reminds me of old mecha anime a little.

It definitely has absolutely nothing to do with pic related.

>I think you could benefit from some careful washing in the crevices of the symbol to hide where your red went over the lines.

FUCK I'VE TRIED SO MANY TIMES, that, or going back in with red to hide where I fucked up the washing. The struggle is eternal

>Are the cloth bits and black armor on the model supposed to look like that? As it is, they look like unpainted primer. If you paint them a medium to dark grey, and then put a black wash over it, I think that will look a lot better. You never want the main color you're putting down to be just black.

Actually, they were just the primer gray under a black wash, but that made them sooooo much darker than I expected to, so I just painted black overtop in an attempt to smooth it out. Originally they were gonna be brown but somehow I don't have any brown colors. Any tips to move on from where I am now?

>As for the gun and backpack, I think you could do worse than the grey/metallic scheme you have now. It looks very near-future, which is pretty stylish.

Yeah, I noticed that too. They're just primer gray under agrax earthshade, but they do look alright. Advice on colors? Should I go forward from where they are now somehow, or go over them in administratum gray, or...?

>Overall, there are a lot of disparate colors on the model, but a lighter blue skin will go a long way towards tying it together and making red the highlight, instead of contrasting with the blue so much. Consider something like The Fang or Russ Grey as your skin tone instead.

Will do, senpai

That sounds smart. I'll try it.

>For the thinning, use your thumbnail as a a good surface to test how thin it is. You don't want it to be too watery/clear at the edges, but you don't want it to lump up either.

That also sounds smart and worth trying.

So far so good. I would give the blue and grey areas washes; Drakenhof Nightshade and Nulin Oil, respectively. These will really help darken them in areas you'd want them darker and should help add depth.

Also practice little by little with highlights. It takes time, and doing complicated or detailed highlights might be something better reserved for your favorite models or special units, but its worth the results. The following might help.

fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/08/basics-line-highlighting-made-simple.html

Overall, you did pretty good for a first attempt. Keep practicing and keep us updated.

I never realised how silly Taus looked with their tiny bodies and their bigass heads.

>Any tips to move on from where I am now?
The other benefit of having them grey makes it tie in with the gun, giving it a more cohesive feel. You could probably do a lot worse than your primer + agrax, it's a pretty solid combo. Maybe drybrush a grey that's close to the primer color to give it a little depth. In general I would encourage you not to rely too much on the color of your primer, because I prefer trying out new primers and don't want any of my colors to be completely dependent on my primer choice. I think the gun/pack could look good with your choice of greys, that agrax wash, and a leadbelcher drybrush.

>fromthewarp
it hurts every day that this site no longer updates, it literally taught me how to paint back when I started miniature wargaming.

That's basically all 40K minis

Heroic scale. They're all like that, but some of the heavy armor obscures it.

I like the idea.

I'd say MAYBE the upper tank skirts or whatever you call them, the parallel things right above the treads, could benefit from some colours.

Do note that the right tank has bent lascannons. Those same lascannons are not finished ? You missed some tiny bits on the barrels, and they tend to pop out in the middle of this bright colour.

This is how you fucking post in WIP threads. Take a clear pic of your mini, and people are happy to help. If it looks like you took the picture with your gameboy camera, no one has the time to pay attention to that shit.

Eh, make SM stand straight and then have their heads properly measuring them instead of a photo of a model where they're seen from not perfectly facing angle, it might be a tad different.

McFucking kill yourself, contribute or fuck off

>uncontributing post tells relevant post to contribute
is it autism awareness day or are you just extra retarded

No but i fucked your mom till retardation

A miniature, especially a gaming piece, is different than a drawing though.
Big weapons make it easy to identify wargear and the heads make the minis easy to identify even from across the table.
They are made to be readable as gaming pieces.

If you put them next to a truescale mini you'll notice how off they are and how truly terrible they look in a vacuum. But for what they are and their intended purpose they work quite well.
Skirmish games usually have minis with better proportions, but go towards 30 or 32mm to get the same amount of detail on the faces. If you've tried to paint a truescale 25mm face you'll know that there is a pretty big difference there.

The other user is right though.
Newbie did everything in his posts. He put up a good picture, which is rare enough to be mentionned, used a small spoiler, smart move to catch attention when you're scrolling. He then took critics adequately, without being buttblasted, and will probably come back with, hopefully, a logically better painted mini.

Give me a poster like that any day.

Oh noes.

To be fair, I'm advocate of True Scale muhreens, so I won't refute your point, on the contrary.

I'm about to start painting a bunch of Dark Eldar but I was curious if it'd be a better idea or not to leave the arms off and paint them separately. Should I leave them off or just put the whole models together and paint them like that?

>Is litterally impossible to find cadian legs without buying a full kit just for that

why the fuck i dared making a custom IG regiment?

I found some at mega bitz shop but they don't come in a bundle, you'd have to pay for each individual pair.

Arms that cross the torso can be annoying to paint yeah, to make it easier it's a good idea to keep them off, but do dry fit and glue the gun & holding arms together so that you know where they're going to contact with the body afterwards for sensible highlighting on the arms.

I don't know but I thank you and your like for it, I just bought 30 catachan torsos off ebay recently for a little over a fiver no doubt thanks to a custom regiment project.

>you'd have to pay for each individual pair
i saw, quite a pain, i think i will give up and add the legs to my victoria's order, i will spend the same, but at least i can get some fancy greatcoat legs

I got some recently on ebay at an average price.

Think your paints for fucks sake mate. Look at tht middle vehicle.

Also consider a wash.

I like it a lot, but man the entire left arm feels pretty neglected. The mitten could desperately do with some highlights and the poor grots face has darker skin than the mek!

was that price like 20 usd?

They are based Coated 3 with layers of yellow, washed, drybrushed, glazed and weathered by a brown drybrush.
You do not know what thick paint is.
In that case, I'll admit this one is my least favoritable one. Should I reglaze? Wash again? Controlled or just coat it? Better pic

>To be fair, I'm advocate of True Scale muhreens, so I won't refute your point, on the contrary.

I don't have $33US to shell out for it, especially since I own full-sized bottles of most of the paints that come in it anyway, but the three squadboyz you get with the new learn-to-paint Space Marine kit Citadel just put out are the closest I've seen GW make to true-scale marines. I think this is the first time I've seen a painting kit that didn't come with the cookie-cutter rejects from a previous edition's boxed set. I sure hope they start selling these ladz by themselves.

Where's that German fellow who was painting them a few threads ago?

I forgot the grots face... it's only basecoats and washed.
Guess I got more work to do.
Why is the thread so dead now

I think the problem you see is the front top of the engine grill near the skull. How should I fix it?

>Why is the thread so dead now

I suspect some of our more prolific posters got picked off by Tyranids on the way in. Either that, or they had a long day at work.

>I think the problem you see is the front top of the engine grill near the skull. How should I fix it?

That's a tough call... you can't use the old Imperial trick of just gluing a purity seal over the blemish. Still, it looks a lot to me like the way Orks would decorate their vehicles. What about simulated paint chipping? Or would that ruin the weathering job you've done?

I was thinking removing the entire piece and replacing it with plastic and but it could work

should i feel honored one of my models made a WIP general pic?

badass

>should i feel honored one of my models made a WIP general pic?

More precisely, you should feel honoured that another user thought highly enough of your work to use it as an exemplar for something positive - in this case, it happened to also be the WIP thread-topper.

JOHNNY! BEHIND YOU!

He's coming together.

Not a fan of how far forward he ends up on the base due to where the wings connect. May detach them and go with a clear rod up his ass after all.

>Not a fan of how far forward he ends up on the base due to where the wings connect.
You could just tilt the wings a little backwards until the body of of your prince is in the middle of the base.
If you have magnets or something like that in the back you should be able to adjust their position as well, so he stands upright in the air.

Wow, does that look neat. Is it supposed to be daemon Mortarion? 10/ 10 Would die gloriously in battle against (in the Emperor's name).

Just a Nurgle daemon prince, but I see what you're talking about. Thanks.

He'll have a brother since the Morghast kits builds two. The other will have a sword and maybe a shield.

Also think I'm going to snip the bells and head off the bottom of his loinguard thing. Makes it seem too long, I think.

Well, he looks epic. I'd love to see something like that across the table from my Blood Angels.

I spent hours last night combing the internet for similar color schemes to use for my everblight army, mind going through how you painted him?

MORE precisely, you should feel honoured that another user told you how you *actually* feel.

Whew, blades done. After these guys i think i have.... only 30 more to arm and paint

Getting my boyz all painted up proppa, going for an iron face masked reclusiarch, terminator as fuck

My marshals head too, pls gimme a r8 m8, painting black makes me want to chop my dick off btw

This looks like you had a picture on your laptop, and then you took a picture of it with your phone,maybe its just me. As for the actual models they look great,l would say the tops could use some orange on the tanks but its hard to tell since we cant see the whole thing.

Be honored when others think enough of your work to save it.
Whether it's loved or hated, you've made an impression and you shall be remembered.

sup /wip/

tell me what you're working on. I just recently finished a command vanquisher for my armored battlegroup

Just tossed my shade coat on these two. Plan on doing the highlights in the morning. Sorry about the shitty lighting, gotta pick up a new lamp :\

Nice Deathwing Terminators Brother, check mine out

They still need a few touch ups, Their Barrels need to be drilled, their lenses need to be painted, highlights, and bases need finishing.

>Their Barrels need to be drilled, their lenses need to be painted, highlights, and bases need finishing.

And then they need to be made into a collage and resized, you really don't need over 10MB for your photos.

Not keen on the visibly-bits-of-sprue on the bases, but the termies look nice.

they also need their bases finished, but here are my Catachans.

Weren't these done and reposted to death litteraly months ago?

A Higgins Boat made out of foam-board I've made for Bolt Action. It's not painted yet.

This is pretty great! If i played Bolt Action, I would love to play against that!

Other than that, I just contribute my newest addition to my eldar force: I've got an army of over 2000pts. and those are my first jetbikes... -yes, they are biking right over your imperial golf course! heresy!

also starting up an imperial force, pretty much all vintage models... I "inherited" a buddys space wolves, gonna paint em up as imperial fists. It works quite well to my liking, maybe because those 2nd ed. wolves dont have too many furry attachments...
also: Spetsnaz militarum tempestus!

good job on the yellow!

Okay i am giving up on this model. i will turn him into a butcher with peg legs or something.

now i need to consider, will i try again and possibly ruin another model or try to go for a different pose

here are the other poses

i am trying to make them all stand out.

Still WIP, but Sigmarite Maneaters!

I'm eventually going to put them on 50mm's before I base them, and add little gnoblar buddies (all good Maneaters have a gnoblar buddy.)

I've never really taken pictures of my models before, so excuse the potato. Last one.

Interesting concept and pretty well executed

You've got the -box part right, but have kind of forgotten the light- part of the setup.

They look interesting from what I can make out, I like the contrast between the stormcast bits and the ogre bits.

whats /wip's/ favorite ogre kingdom skin color?

the stonegrey from the first armybook

You shouldn't question satan when he tells us how we feel.

About 2 weeks worth of stripping is coming together now. Not pictured are a couple more of these trays full of bits and a bunch of kans, koptas and tanks.

i still dont know what skin i want mine to have, but i was considering the stone grey vs dwarf flesh style. i just dont know what i want.

Looks super lumpy. Are they recasts or did you have some primer spray issues?

What models are those soldiers?

You can buy a box of 5 basic Cadians for £6 or less, which seems to be work out better than the mega bitz shop.

Its a bit difficult to see the details due to low light/low quality camera/unpainted skin but from what I can see they look really nice definitely a cool concept

Finished!