Tabletop Costs

So Veeky Forums the other day my buddies and I were at our local gamestore looking at the 40k stuff and it occurred to me that we have never actually played. Oh we have a few codexes, a rulebook to pass around and even some models, but weve never exactly had what felt like a proper sized force. Just as an example, my buddy has been trying to make a proper IG army for years. Hes officially bought 3 different codexes for the guard army and models to supplement, but hes never had what felt like a full force to us. I come on here enough to see and occasionally lurk in the threads for things like Warmachine and Infinity, and each time I see far less complaints about the economy of making an army in those over the complaints I see about 40k. So I guess the big question here is thus, is 40K really so expensive to get into for new players just starting off that it becomes a massive investment of time and money compared to its competitors, or are the other games just as expensive too?

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-NL/Dark-Vengeance-EN?_requestid=8124557
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do you have the basics for a game?

why not play? you really just need 2 troop options and an HQ....

True, we split one of those dual army sets a while back but everytime I see someones armies here or elsewhere they just happen to be absolutely dick shrivelingly massive.

A good sized 40k force, where you have multiple choices of what to field in a decent size game so you don't get bored after a month, is thousands of dollars.

SO YES.

Dropped in the cost of a decent 1,200 IG army into GW's site.

This was the result

I just really don't see why people say Warhammer is that expensive

Don't buy an entire army at once and buy a box once a month (average $50) and buy another after you finish painting and assembling and its really on the low end of expensive hobbies.

$600 over the course of a year + $100 for paint and brushes as an initial cost.

If you're a student or unemployed I can see how it might be pricy but if you have a job I just don't get it

1,200 point*

What about compared to other tabletop wargames like the above listed?

Play money is play money. Infinity is my game and having a complete army with many the options is going to cost 300 usd. I spend maybe 15 usd every other month. And 100 usd on tournaments each year.

It tends to equal out more or less with all the other tabletop games. The only exception is historical. Historical wargming is THE gaming on a budget experience where quality exists either on par or even greater than 40k or Fantasy/AOS.

that doesn't mean you need to spend 300 to have an awesome competitive list. You can pull that off with around $100. You will just tend to spend more money as you love the game, and damn that model looks amazing or I really want to get another army, it's just 40$ for a starter kit...

And terrain is expensive...

Model wise they're similar priced and Games Workshop models are of arguably better quality.

The difference is the amount of models needed for an army, Warhammer can still be played at 500-1000 points but people are really obsessed with 1850 (even when they don't play tournaments so I don't know why they are obsessed with sticking with the size) or apocalypse games, both of which are expensive as shit.

A skirmish game may be more appropriate for you guys. 40k only starts working at maybe 500 points, which for IG means a few squads and a few vehicles - is it too great a hobby commitment for your friend? IG may have been a poor choice.

Count up points and just try playing with what you have. If it doesn't work, find Gorkamorka rules and shoehorn your models into that game. Or try something else. Honestly, 40k isn't a great game - too crowded. It's for people who like painting that many models and want some way to use them.

warmahordes is cheaper because the battles are smaller so you need less stuff, if you guys are looking to switch new edition comes out later this month and the starter boxes are $40 and contain everything you need for small scale battles against each other

well first of, why don't you tell what models you and your buddy owns. Because a 'propper sized force' isn't really saying anything.
IG might be the most expensive army in 40k, if you want many normal infantry squads.
If you want a cheaper start, space maines are actually quite cheap, especially when you consider the 2nd hand market and the various simpler snap-fit models that tend to be in the starter box.

We split the dual set with chaos and the dark angels, I took chaos, and I then got two extra squads of heretics to go with it. He owns the dark angels, as well as at least one IG Sentinel, a command squad, and at least 1 regular squad of IG Infantry. Need to confirm the rest with him.

>Games Workshop models
>better than Infility

I have similar concerns to the OP. I have a bunch of IG models but I'm not sure if they're worth playing with:

2 infantry squads
1 Kasrkin squad
1 Chimera
3 heavy weapons
1 Commissar

They look cool, but all proper IG armies seem to field a fuck ton of tanks as well which is just $$$$$.

40K is the most expensive by far. The models are the most expensive BY FAR and the rulesets are something like 4 times the price of their competitors.
Cheapest good miniature games are those from Osprey imo (although not all of them are good), since you're expected to use any companies models for those rulesets.

I am slightly interested in this, does warmahordes have pretty interesting fluff?

alright, since i know 99% of the posts are total shit because Veeky Forums is now filled with complete asshats here is the best answer to your question:

Assuming you are playing with 4 friends you will probably each spend about 100 euros. I would recommend you each get one of the following starter set for 65 euros. Dont buy it from GW directly! Buy it in the store if you want to play there or buy it from an online retailer for up to 25% discount! You can get the IG starter set for 55 euros.

Some hobby essentials such as:

Paint:
GW: games-workshop.com/en-NL/Build-Paint-Set-ENG
or be a real bro and get Vallejo paints.
You will probably spend about 30 euros on this. You can do it for less.. be sure to lend each other paints.

Other:
Then you need some cheap ass hobby supplies like some PVA glue and sand for the bases. You can make a wet pallet for next to nothing (sponge, baking paper, and a container) so its easier to paint. Some cheap nail file sticks for sanding mold lines and bits. A can of cheap as fuck black spray paint.
+- 10 euros

Alternatives:
- Dark vengeance starter set is pretty sweet: games-workshop.com/en-NL/Dark-Vengeance-EN?_requestid=8124557
- Get used shit from ebay and simplegreen to remove paint, takes a lot of effort and you might burn out before ever getting to play.

Do you need a larger army? No..
Do you WANT a larger army? Yes
How deep is the rabit hole? No one knows

Why does everyone always judge by what they see online?

When i first started imperial guard i had 2 infantry squads and a command squad and 3 chimera. That was it.

Now 10 years on I have 190 infantry, 13 tanks, 3 super heavies and a flyer. Dont rush its a hobby, you dont have to have an army straight away.

Buy from mail order places. At least in USA and Canada there are places that do up to 25 percent off.

I just bought a full army of daemonettes for like $150. People are always selling their pre-painted armies. That's the best way to get a quick army.

GW =/= Best models.

The start collecting boxes are the best things for what you pay. With 40k, if you are unable to afford models, you can buy them for roughly half the price on ebay. Thiese models will be used. Converting some models is one of the best ways to save money. For example, I have a magnetized forge fiend that can switch between all load outs and maulerfiend, I also built 6 spawn out of 1 kit and some spare bits I got from a friend who plays nids. You should also stop buying the rule books if you are low on funds. Pick up the pdfs from the 40k general, print out the pages you need, and spend that money on models instead
You guys both have enough to play a 750 game.

Infinity - better models. Warmahordes - worse. Rather better and rather worse to be honest.

Nope, not all models will be used. Not for chaos. Not at all.

nah op, IG only needs 1 unit, that's right, Sly Marbo

Being able to play right away is nice though.

>The start collecting boxes are the best things for what you pay
>No super heavy
Top kek

This is a lie, and you know it.
Warmahordes is portrayed as a "skirmish" game, but you see games up towards 50p (75p in mk3) as a regular.
The grinder here is that the meta changes, and pp knows this, so they put a twist in the gear and BAM, you need to get the new meta or counter meta.
The other marketing trick of pp is the use of casters, if you pick one, options A B and C is good, but if you chose another caster, option C is the only one good, because now you need some D and E as well to support.

All companies has their different marketing strategy, and this is privateer press one. Currently, in mk3, they are "re-setting" the balance, thus taking everything not currently in use, such as the Ferrox and makes it great, and takes stuff that was good and makes "meh".
Sure it balance the game out, but it also brings income to the company. So never let anyone fool you that just because its a "skirmish" game, you can get away with spending $20, and your set! Because once you get addicted to the hobby, you want to paint more, or be on top of your game and so on, and that costs money!

space marines are easier to paint and make look good with simpler techniques though.

They still will be bulky manlets.

That's not even true, though. Thanks to tons of details and crevices, it's pretty easy to make Infinity models look decent.

>with washing
Is what I meant to say.

>in mk3, they are "re-setting" the balance, thus taking everything not currently in use, such as the Ferrox and makes it great, and takes stuff that was good and makes "meh".

You're being an idiot here.

For one thing, of course re-balancing is going to make bad models better and good models worse. That's how fucking rebalancing works.

Second of all, there's shitloads of examples of models that were good in Mk2 staying good in Mk3, or in some cases even getting better. One of the mainstays of the Legion faction, the Ravagore, is still one of their most wanted heavies from how Mk3 is panning out, so how do you explain that?

Most of the rest of your post is trash as well, but the concept that a Warmahordes army costs a lot is hilarious.

The new edition change for Warmahordes is actually making army sizes smaller, both in model count and overall. A lot of armies are losing 5-6 models some more. Even my all jack Convergence army, something that would convert the best to the new edition, is coming up a warjack short(and that's in a 15 model army).

Base fluff of Warmahordes is amazing in it's own way. Warmahordes is based on the Iron Kings setting, an old D&D setting in 3.0/3.5. It was one of the better ones for a lot of reasons, and has some deep and pretty interesting world building and shit.

The actual games fluff ranges from pretty decent to pretty bad. Warmahordes has an actual storyline, told in the books since Mk1. It's still going, with Mk3 being a 2 year timeskip in the setting.

The actual books are where the fluff varies the most, Mk1's stuff was a lot better, while the Mk2 books are generally considered to be terrible, mostly for the combo of being incredibly predictable combined with introducing the new guy kind of junk.

The actual books they've published have been decent, with one of them actually picking up some awards.

>Because once you get addicted to the hobby, you want to _____ more, or be on top of your game and so on, and that costs money!

that's true for most Veeky Forums hobbies and a lot of hobbies in general. for guys that just want a basic army to throw against a friend's basic army warmahordes is cheaper, but if you're the type of person that's gotta catch em all or the type of person that has to stay on top of the meta at all times then yeah of course it will add to the cost of playing

Disagree. Flat surfaces are the hardest to make look good.

he majority of infinity models are the easiest things I have ever painted with and without an airbrush.

The only things that have been harder than Space Marines to paint are Retribution Warjacks.

Adding a unit to Warmachine is has a bigger impact on the game and is less expensive than adding an equivalent unit to 40k.

>infinity models not shitty spandex wearing metal models. .