Exalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, play this tutorial: forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. There were a lot of lesbians though. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Backer Charm Edition:
Just released, if you have it and are in the process of taking out the watermarks, keep us updated.
Cleaned up the OP, why did we replace a 3e tutorial with a 2e one?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1
web.archive.org/web/20160314105757/http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/
forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/general-exalted-thread.44/page-946#post-6020228
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>why did we replace a 3e tutorial with a 2e one?
When did we ever have a 3e tutorial?

>tfw based Volfer is proof that artifact bikini armor is canon

Some peeps just requested access to the Master Sheet with Formulas, you just make a copy of it yourself friends, unless you're wanting something else?

Empress Approved (tm)

We used to have the combat 301 up a while ago, then we had the 2e playable tutorial, and then that link was dead for months, then we updated that link, and now I moved it to the 2e resources because it would just confuse new people.

>combat 301
I must have missed that phase. Do you have a link?

>artifact bikini armor is canon
Of course it is.

But if you try to argue that it's anything heavier than Light Armor in one of my games, I'll laugh myself senseless and refuse.

Artifact armor doesn't magically protect your exposed bits; it's superhard, superthick plates of impossible metal, not something that projects an invisible forcefield over your skin.

It's in the OP, that's what I was talking about replacing the old 2e one with.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301

>not something that projects an invisible forcefield over your skin.

Unless the artifact armor does, in fact, do exactly that, but by then you're making a point of it.

Unless evocations.

At which point your Light Artifact Armor gains a Soak-boosting Evocation. It does, however, remain Light, with the appropriate base stats for the Evocations to then build on top of.

Having protective bikini armor isn't something I'd prevent my players from doing. But they'd have to come at it from a direction that's sensical rather than 'lol, fuck common sense, it's Heavy Armor because EXALTED!'

Eh, it could just as well be an attunement bonus. That's what I did with my artifact armour, which was fluffed as a set of bracers - upon attuning, your skin hardened and darkened, and you got the armour stats.

Oh, I thought it was something interactive and playable, not some boring forum post.

I'd imagine that's why it was removed in favor of the 2e tutorial. Because the 2e tutorial was actually-fun and got me, personally, interested in Exalted a few years back when I first stumbled across it.

C'est la vie.

If I were competent at coding and Exalted, I'd make a 3e version.

>At which point your Light Artifact Armor gains a Soak-boosting Evocation. It does, however, remain Light, with the appropriate base stats for the Evocations to then build on top of.
>Having protective bikini armor isn't something I'd prevent my players from doing. But they'd have to come at it from a direction that's sensical rather than 'lol, fuck common sense, it's Heavy Armor because EXALTED!'
Agreed. If you want a bikini to magically count as heavy armor, you need Glorious Solar Plate.

I was looking to see if anyone had a similar playable tutorial for 3e, but no one did. I would much prefer a playable one to show off to newcomers.
But we just have the boring forum post, and an outdated tutorial, which although fun to you a few years ago, would actively make it harder for you to understand 3e because you have to unlearn what it taught.
It's still in the old resources link for people to play if they're doing 2e.

It would be pretty great, if there are any takers, step forth.

Do you have the old 2E one as an example? Don't think I've seen it. I can code, have decent system mastery, and am currently stuck at home sick, so I've got some time on my hands.

>pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

NM, figured that one of the links in the OP is a link to links,

Hey, does anybody have a link to the Backer Charms yet? Hope there's something for War in there...

If you can code up a 3e tutorial - even directly ripping the fluff scenes straight out of the 2e one, if you wanted - that would be the literal best thing.

Just getting it functional for the bulk of the system would be pretty great, don't fret too much over obscure edge cases, especially if natural language causes problems.

web.archive.org/web/20160314105757/http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/
It's pretty fun, and introduces you to the setting and conceits like stunts as much as it does things like the combat engine and social combat.

How much of a nerf is it if you rule that counterattack charms can only be activated once per turn?

>How much of a nerf is it if you rule that counterattack charms can only be activated once per turn?
A colossal one. Counterattack charms are already super limited because you regen only 5m per turn. Changing it so the new limitation is that they only get one activation per turn would make them wastes of XP.

Depends what you mean by "activated"; as long as it doesn't impact stuff like Crane Form, and Ready in Eight Directions that are activated once, and then triggered multiple times, it's probably fine - most of the other ones I can think of are decisive counterattacks, so activating them a second time isn't really that useful anyway, as you're already reset to base (assuming you hit).

But I can think of no good reason to do so. If someone's spamming counterattacks, they're burning through their resources. They should be allowed to make that call if they want to - the charms are balanced around their resource cost.

They're lame and slow down combat more than other stuff.

Then ban them entirely, or else leave them alone. What you're proposing would make them worthless. Don't do things in half-measures like that.

you'll get tired of them every single time stunting to bend in such a way as to catch the attack on their boob

Stunts boost Dodge/Parry, not Soak/Hardness. They're not going to stunt to catch it on their boob.

>They're not going to stunt to catch it on their boob.
>Parry
What if they're wearing a pair of artifact smashtits?

Come on, that has to at least give an off-hand penalty. If the book detailed such a penalty. You do get the +2 clash bonus for a pair.

No Awareness or Dodge backer charms. Every other ability got at least one.

>The backer is brand new to Exalted, so I had to help
>him find the exact right Charm. The first couple of
>Resistance Charms we worked on didn’t feel right to his
>personality, so we scrapped them. Finally I asked him
>what characters he likes most, and he started to talk
>about an overpowered archer from Fate Stay/Night. I
>had known since the beginning that Archery yet needed
>an overpowered Charm, so I worked out this incredibly
>powerful mechanic. There may be yet be another up-
>grade to this Charm, one of unfathomable power.

Hey, if the second level of Ambidexterity lets you pick locks with your feet without a penalty, surely it lets you parry swords with your tits without too much of an issue.

But yes, they give a great bonus to catching a clash between the pair. They even come with Disarm.

So they're prehensile tits from Gainax?

>*John lowers an LP of smooth slow “doo-wop” onto the
>spindle and swishes his brandy around in a shot glass
>while staring out the window at the setting sun.*

>Backers can't find their own charms in the book.
Bravo Morke.

link?

So, we'll finally be able to stat Archer and Gilgamesh in Exalted.

Yes, and?

>A Lunar warlord-queen is sweet on the Dawn
>Caste, but if he makes an ass of himself at her feast
>the entire Circle is going to be kicked out of her
>dominion, and they badly need to remain there
>until their work is finished. Rather than trusting
>him to dress himself, the Zenith tailor presents a
>highly-stylized garment fit for royalty, so that the
>Circle’s fashion victim doesn’t get them exiled.

Anyone dewatermarking it right now?

>Four Archery, two Athletics, three Brawl, four Bureaucracy, one Craft, two Integrity, two Investigation, two Larceny, two Linguistics, five Lore, one Medicine, ten Melee, three Occult, five Performance, six Presence, two Resistance, one Ride, six Sail, four Socialize, three Stealth, five Survival, six Thrown, two War, one ???.

Jeeze, ten melee charms? I know it's kind of the 'default' combat skill, but I wish the backers had spread it out a bit more. Other Abilities could use the space better.

anyone have a pastebin of the backer charms?

I don't know if anyone on Veeky Forums even has the backer charms yet. A lot of the posts here are from second hand sources.

I've got it.

Would you mind pastbining then? I mean if you are a really nice person you would do that for us poor anons would you not?

I'd have bought it if I knew Exalted existed 3 years ago.

There's a charm in the backer PDF that I have a strong suspicion might trigger Tornado Wolf and some of the other more rabid Lunartards out there.

I'm a jerk, though.

Any Abilities you're particularly interested in?

Prescence

Occult

A social ability might be nice. And I am sure you are a nice person deep down user.

Athletics, Awareness, Investigation, Stealth, or Survival please?

If you would not mind the crafting and the medicine charm

Anything that you think turned out to be dope as fuck, user.

War, if you'd be so kind.

Ohh, what does it do? Lunar taming leash?

I didn't mention every Charm for the relevant Abilities, just the ones that grabbed me.

Presence has a couple Charms that let you imbue your followers with divine might, granting them small mote pools and a handful of suitable spirit Charms. Occult gets a couple spirit-familiar buffs and an upgrade to Ancient Tongue Understanding that turns it into a general-purpose dice trick.

Socialize gets a couple Charms that let you augment an Instill action to add another Minor Intimacy on top of increasing/eroding the main one.

Athletics has a Charm to let you run so fast that you self-duplicate into an army as long as you keep going fast. There aren't any Awareness Charms. Investigation gets a Charm to let you use Charms to follow up when someone else investigates a crime scene on your behalf. Stealth gets a sneak-better Charm and a couple combat ones, the more impressive of which lets you more easily return to concealment after an attack. Survival gets a mote generator, a charm to let you imbue yourself with natural beauty (or freakishness if ugly Appearance is your thing), and... some more Familiar charms. Though one of them lets your Familiar make an animal army, so that's okay.

One of each. The Craft Charm lets you retroactively have made something useful to help get past a problem (it's what was quoted from), the Medicine Charm lets you freeze someone who's about to die in time until you can find a cure or whatever.

It's not spectacular, but the first Charm I saw that I thought was perfect for my Solar was a Melee charm that lets you get motes from successful parries, and with a repurchase, makes Ready in Eight Directions Stance not reset you to base Initiative if you successfully parried every attack aimed at you that round.

Low-req Charm that gives you more dice to orders based on the Size difference between armies (either way), high-req Charm that turns damage into more strategems.

Sort of! Less extreme than that, not that I expect the worst of that lot to care.

Oh, that's great. I can't wait for the forum discussions. What exactly does it do?

Thanks very much, these all sound pretty interesting.
Are you taking the watermark out to share with us?

I doubt it since he won't pastebin. Don't worry user somebody will over the next few days.

It's one of the Survival Charms I mentioned. Your form is warped by communion with the elements and the beasts of nature; increases Appearance by one (breaks cap) and grants a one-die bonus to comfort or soothe elementals, beasts, and Lunars.

Wouldn't know how.

I did say I was a jerk.

IS there a watermark?

If user doesn't know how to diff them to take them out, they won't know how to see if there even are any.

Melee

>elementals, beasts, and Lunars.
Lol, that's just hilarious and demeaning to Lunars without actually mattering much. I love it!

>There aren't any Awareness Charms.

What do you feel Awareness is missing? I've not had any problems with it.

>Low-req Charm that gives you more dice to orders based on the Size difference between armies (either way), high-req Charm that turns damage into more strategems.

Well, better than nothing, but I'd hoped for more.

Here's an error that I'd like to see corrected: My Charm doesn't appear in the pdf.

It was supposed to be called "Puritan-Demon Cofraternity," and after telling me that my concept wasn't workable, and that I reconceptualize it, Mr. Morke sent me an email saying "never mind, I'm working on something closer to your original concept." That was the last communication between us.

Onyx Path's incompetence continues to amuse me.

Gotta spend wordcount on all those other Abilities that don't have enough options. Y'know, like melee.

I haven't had any problems with these other sets either but they still got new Charms.

Yes, yes, Morke's a liar, and Holden's a liar too, we all know.

May it awaken the mighty fires of autism rage under Tornado Wolf's bottom.

Not a clearly visible one, but I'm not sure if that means there isn't one.

Beyond what I've already mentioned, there's a few different Clash goodies, including one that lets you Clash attacks you're unaware of. There's one that lets you wreck the terrain (and bystanders) after parrying a high-damage attack. A kinda neat one that gives you extra dice when striking to defend an Intimacy, and extra damage that scales with how much your opponent hates that same Intimacy (plus it's aggravated against cursed and blighted creatures including ghosts, demons, and the Abyssal Exalted)

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it. An extra charm for competence in Orders and something flashy and high-Essence were exactly what I was hoping for.

Here's a Charm I thought was pretty cool.

>Diving Hawk Discipline
>Cost: 3m
>Mins: Thrown 4, Essence 1
>Type: Supplemental
>Keywords: Decisive-only
>Duration: Instant
>Prerequisite Charms: Spitting Hand Technique
>When she sees the perfect moment to act, the Lawgiver strikes with unthinkable speed. This Charm supplements a Thrown Disarm, Distract, or Unhorse Gambit, allowing it to be made without needing an aim action.
>On Diving Hawk Discipline
>Thrown is about versatility, utility, and quick bursts of damage. The more versatile it becomes, the better it gets at the other two.

It's got a few followups. Death-Dealing Diffusion lets you attempt two Gambits simultaneously. Whirlwind Hand of the Striker lets you grapple with Thrown. Dancing Steel Symphony lets you try a bajillion Gambits simultaneously, which can be doubled with Death-Dealing Diffusion or be grapples if you also know Whirlwind Hand of the Striker.

>. A kinda neat one that gives you extra dice when striking to defend an Intimacy
Daaamn. My melee Zenith really wants this. Now I hope this gets out to the public before the next time we spend xp.

>Divine Executioner Stance
>Cost: 6m (+1m)
>Mins: Melee 5, Essence 3
>Type: Simple
>Keywords: Uniform
>Duration: Indefinite
>Prerequisite Charms: Rising Sun Slash

>When her sense of justice or righteousness is offended, the Solar’s wrath suffuses her blades, making her attacks swing faster and bite harder. When she first uses this Charm, she grips her weapon tightly and makes a vow based on a Principle or Tie that she holds, to use her every means to defend or protect that Intimacy. This act has great mystical significance, recorded in the celestial registers of Heaven, as the Lawgiver swears on her weapon and her skill to protect what is most dear.

>Thenceforth, whenever the Exalt makes a Melee attack in defense of the attached Intimacy and pays one mote, she gains bonus dice equal to (Intensity). In addition, if her target has acted to harm one of her Ties or threaten one of her Principles, a successful attack adds damage equal to the target’s strongest opposed Intimacy to the Solar or her protected Tie or Principle. In simple terms, the Lawgiver may not know her opponent’s Intimacies, but the Storyteller does, and can select the most appropriate Intimacy on the damage roll. If the Solar has vowed to protect the street urchins of Nighthammer, she may not realize that her target despises children, but the damage of her attack rips through his corrosive spirit and wounds him that much more deeply. This Charm confers no knowledge of Intimacies to the Solar.

>In addition, if the target is a cursed, blighted creature, such as a ghost or a demon, or one of the Abyssal Exalted, the damage on this attack is increased by one, gains one automatic success, and the damage is aggravated.

Renowned Explorers just finished downloading, so I'm gonna go play that for a bit.

>Diving Hawk Discipline
Because what thrown reaaaaally needed was more gambits!
But yeah, pretty cool, I might actually be tempted to make a thrown gambit character now.

Oh my, this is perfect for my Zenith.

This is perfect...
Well, it's E3 but ptherwise I love it. Thanks user

I almost wish it had the Bridge keyword from some Zenithy ability.

Like Integrity, the ability with all the Bridge keywords?

This is a fucking cool charm, though I feel like it does one too many things at once. That said, the charms are bloated enough as it is without adding to it by splitting shit up. So, kudos.

>Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it. An extra charm for competence in Orders and something flashy and high-Essence were exactly what I was hoping for.

I mean, I'd have liked them to play up the initiative aspects of War's design space more. Effects like:

-Purchasing this Charm allows the Solar to activate Battle Path Ascendant whenever her army drives a non-trivial opponent into initiative crash.

-Once per scene, when the Solar would gain initiative from her other War charms, she may grant a portion of the initiative gained to her allies instead. The Solar may transfer up to twice her Essence rating, or the total initiative gained (whichever is lower) split however she chooses amongst any number of targets. Initiative not transferred to others in this way is gained by the Solar as normal. This charm resets when the Solar begins her turn at initiative 15+.

What was your charm supposed to do?

I doubt it is his. Some one posted in the errata thread that their charm is not there. I think he just is posting about Morke and Holden's massive incompetence.

>When a Solar dies, the Exaltation unbinds itself from the soul and flows back into the cycles of heaven. From there it is directed by the Essence of the Unconquered Sun - which carries his energic will - to seek out a new hero.

R.I.P. Lytek

Tell me, would Apocalypse from the latest X-Men movie be an Exalt? If the answer to this is is yes, what exalted group and caste would fit him best?

First Age Zenith, just recently awoken from Inviolable Essence Merging, and still nutty.

Another interesting tidbit of lore lost to the circlejerking. I'm sure it is for the 'greater good' of their own delusions.

>and still nutty.
I find this funny because it's true.

I'm glad he's gone. It's another one of the changes to make Exaltations more magical and awesome, instead of mechanistic and predictable.

>An earthquake causes damage to thousands of expensive wheels of cheese, which will go bad if they are not used immediately, causing the economic collapse of an entire industry. The Solar chef produces a recipe for cheese soup that allows restaurateurs to buy the damaged wheels in increased volume, to attempt to save the industry from total collapse. See Projects on page 226 of Exalted.

You can still have Lytek in your games. The Game Police aren't going to break down your door if you use him in your campaign.

Serious question: where does Lytek fit into a campaign? Is he just a bit of background fluff that's interesting until you think about him? He can't really do anything without changing the setting, and he'd be under enormous pressure from other gods and the Sidereals to act in specific ways (mentally crippling Lunars or Solars with endless flashbacks, for instance, or just not releasing them from his cabinet), so you get the same issues with him as you do with the Christian God; either he can't actually do anything, or he can and somehow is both completely satisfied with the status quo and can't ever change his mind about it.

>Special activation rules: By spending six points accrued by Master Plan Meditation, this Charm may be used retroactively, without a roll and for free, allowing the Solar to declare away a guard that’s just caught her, a trap that’s just sprung on her, a hiding place that wasn’t there before, and so on. She may only introduce a single fact in this fashion.

Solar Cheat-Codes Prana

forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/general-exalted-thread.44/page-946#post-6020228

Jon Chung is right about Lytek, Lytek is not necessary at all.