/epg/ - Eclipse Phase General

Async Bad Touch edition

OFFICIAL BOOKS
>Eclipse Phase PDFs
robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Zone Stalkers
mediafire.com/view/d0hpgo776xpx50p/Eclipse_Phase_Zone_Stalkers.pdf
>Morph Recognition Guide
mediafire.com/download/j4bjbba89kw8v0y/Eclipse_Phase_Morph_Recognition_Guide_(6098716).pdf
>Million Year Echo
mediafire.com/view/f53f1c5yq777tpk/Million_Year_Echo.pdf
>Firewall (Updated):
mediafire.com/view/9jg6q9d9kqa59qu/Eclipse_Phase_Firewall_(7029562).pdf
>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf

PLAY AIDS:
>10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>Advice for new players and GMs
pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Online character creator
eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
mediafire.com/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>Package Character Creator
firewallagency.wordpress.com/

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do Firewalls ever get to retire? What's their pension plan like?

Sentinels don't retire. They just send a mindwiped fork to live their civilian lives.

Depends on the GM, how much the sentinel knows, and how valuable they are to the organization. They basically never get paid retirement (since they're not paid in the first place), but might be let go with only minor psychosurgery to protect Firewall's secrets.

laughing_OZMA_agents.picrelated

There is a snippet about that in one of the books. Lets leave it on that when they retire they accept their minds to be edited.

Does anyone play as OZMA agents?

Makes me wonder what retirement in Eclipse Phase is like at all, if it's even a thing in most places. You're physically capable of working for as long as you can, sleeving into a new body as and when your old one wears out, unless you're in an area that restricts access to resleeving. Presumably in places like the Republic, where resleeving isn't such a prevalent thing, there's going to be a population of older people in older bodies, that you wouldn't necessarily find in mainstream societies elsewhere.

Could make for an interesting character concept; somebody who has defected from the Republic (though, obviously, you'd have to justify how they did it) when faced with old age in a body that's slowly falling apart.

we should roll a firewall server

In hypercorp economies, retirement means "I have enough money that I can live off the interest on my bank account" - though of course, you can always unretire.

Non-capitalist economies don't have jobs in the first place; retirement basically means that the community acknowledges that you've done enough to not need to be on the roster for community tasks. If you want to lean on your rep, though, people will probably ask that you contribute.

Is there a server creation chart somewhere?

Why would you retire? It's not like you age.

Yes, it's in the epg homebrew content link in the OP

Haven't checked out /epg/ in a while, here's a character questionnaire I wrote a while ago. It would be cool if someone could add it to the relevant google doc.

> about 10 when the fall happened.
>I was actually one of the first humans to actually be born rimwards.

Aren't those mutually exclusive?

depends on the definition of rimward you use, but jovian orbit may mean you're correct

So what's the real difference between an exhuman and an optimization focused transhuman? Does it just come down to attitude at that point? Likewise, if an Ultimate stops caring about the human form are they just an exhuman?

Titan had a major post-colonization migration wave prior to the fall, which suggests that people had been living there for at least a few decades prior.

>tfw you love the Fate hack but Eclipse Phase fans all love crunchy rules and sweet, sweet gear tables

I'm going to call it "otium". You take time off from working for however long you can afford to do so, then get back into things, whether it's in the same position or in another field entirely. If you work on other qualifications during your otium, you can even move up.

Wouldn't it be a much better idea to just drop down to part time work so you remain qualified for the position?

Exhuman can be lateral, not just forward. You might decide for your particular idiom being a Xenomorph is superior to being a normal human, so you give yourself acid blood or that weird mouth-in-mouth thing, or something else crazy. Exhumanism is about discarding or working around "human" elements to adapt to your environment - which can just be all reality if that's your style.

Also, because not all exhumans think about what they're doing before they decide to try it, they're usually a big bonkers trying to fine tune their brains and bodies to the extreme.

Because that's not really equivalent to retirement.

So fucking what? Do you want to be doing unpaid internships when you go back to work?

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Exhumans are transhumana who don't play nice with others. It's a political designation more than a scientific one.

The ones who are taking large amounts of time off have the means to do so and have enough experience that it's not a problem.

>The ones who are taking large amounts of time off
Who?

>enough experience that it's not a problem.
Hire me Boeing, I'm an expert aerospace engineer from the 1970s

>Hire me Boeing, I'm an expert aerospace engineer from the 1970s
And I've been building and fine tuning esoteric, custom, super efficient engines for the past forty years.

I'm still on /epg/, right? How could someone miss the point so badly?

Any word on new books?

The short fiction just came out for purchase, so soon.

I just want X-Risks already.

So apparently I decided to retire by starting my own business and not getting paid for it?

If your point was that only the rich can retire, then you never actually said that. If not, you still didn't make your point.

>So apparently I decided to retire by starting my own business and not getting paid for it?
Post-scarcity society? Oh, sorry, you preffer the cozy life of corporativism.

Rep is a form of payment. The point is that in that scenario the guy didn't stop working.

Can a Seed AI meditate?

My reading of the epg backstory was that there were humans living in the far out bits of the galaxy before the fall but there were not many. With those that were out beyond mars mostly being small stations of scientists or prospectors for water/minerals for mars. With the fall there was then a huge influx of people that perviously would have had no reason or even the economic means to ever venture that far out.

The character i described there is probably still a bit of a stretch on the epg timeline but I wanted to try and imagine what someone that had only grown up in an anarchist hab would be like. Mostly because people kept throwing around the anarcho-kiddie meme and it got me imagining about what a real anarchist kid would do with their life.

Probably, but it would be so very very different from what we think of as meditation.

Maybe something like trying to reduce their cpu usage, cutting down on every unnecessary sub process to make their mind 'blank', maybe even starting to 'lose' themselves in the mediation by shutting down core personality functions.

Read Rimward
>Prior to the Fall, Earth’s northernmost nations, with the conspicuous exception of Russia, bought in heavily to transhumanism. Climate change on Earth had disrupted ocean currents that once kept northern Europe warm and livable. The populations of Scandinavia, Canada, and other northern countries had huddled into overcrowded, frozen conurbations, and now they left them in a mass migration for Titan.

I think we need a real climatologist. I just remember the stuff about Earth's state being complete bullshit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutdown_of_thermohaline_circulation

I meant deserts where there shouldn't be deserts, but
>The most recent data from NASA suggests that the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation has not slowed down, but may have actually sped up slightly in the recent past.
kek

Wasn't a lot of the weird stuff due to TITAN activity?

And the citation supporting that particular AMOC claim leaves a ton to be desired.

DESU, I skipped most of it because I thought that most of the pre-Fall history stuff was complete bullshit.

>DESU
If you're going to weeb, at least do it properly

>he doesn't know about the word filters

Try abbreviating Tango Bravo Hotel, Foxtrot Alpha Mike.

desu senpai

>tfw you'd love a rules light version of EP but FATE has just as much needless complexity in its own asinine way

>It would be cool if someone could add it to the relevant google doc.
The doc is publicly editable, there's nothing stopping you from doing it yourself

>So what's the real difference between an exhuman and an optimization focused transhuman?
There isn't one

>Likewise, if an Ultimate stops caring about the human form are they just an exhuman?
They are regardless of what they care about

Would it be too much to have a secret raptorbot waifu back home?

No, ultimates are not exhumans. They're the luddites of tomorrow.

Got an alternative rules-light system that can actually manage the transhuman future?

The rules-heavy version can barely do it

That's more because it has a bunch of barely-relevant crunch and specializations on top of piles of kludges because flat probabilities suck at vaguely stimulationist play.

>flat probabilities suck at vaguely stimulationist play.

Jesus Christ, here we go again

How is tourism viewed?

In many locales, it is a viable and often successful industry. Egocasting makes space tourism relatively easy, just rent a body for your stay.

I apologize for nothink.

As with most things in EP, depends strongly on the habitat. The Jovian Republic and many Brinkers are going to be basically 'no go' as far as tourism. Anarchists, are hit or miss - they don't mind you showing up, but it's easy to be politely (but firmly) shown the door if they don't like you for some reason (including 'you make an ass of yourself'). The corps love tourists, as long as you can pay, and there are plenty of spots that sell themselves as tourist attractions.

I forced my Neo-corvid indenture to become a robot peterdactyl

You've just been transferred or moved operations to an unfamiliar city in the inner system, and you need to gear up. What's your character's go-to solution for armament and tech?

How do you guys run (or play in) EP campaigns? Are they generally episodic, where each session or every few sessions the team gets a new mission and they're not related? Or do you have an overarching plot?

Let's assume a big Martian city-state has an anarchist terrorist cell, and they are competent and professional. What would they want and what would they do to get this this?

Who fucking cares? There's always a solution.

That said, I spend f-rep for intel, a-rep for gear, and g-rep for extraction.

Unless it's a merc job, then I burn rep with the client for all of that, and fall back on a-rep and g-rep if the client comes up short.

>What would they want?
Depends how ambitious they are. It could range from "dismantle the state" to "get rid of one coercively hierarchical organization."

>what would they to do get this?
Look at historical anarchist activity, which includes:
>propaganda of the deed
They assassinate political figures to inspire the masses to rise up.
>blac bloc
If the group is large enough they all dress in black, walk down a street, and break shit.
>sabotage
Have them do physical damage to the infrastructure needed to maintain hierarchies.

Blueprint Library for weapons and drones, mostly acquired through services rendered to anarchists. Enough hacking skills to produce the weapons in situ.

Depends on what is allowed and what I have to do.

It's most likely second skin, smart skin, fireproofed armor clothing with refractive glazing and chameleon coating and a fireproofed armor vest with refractive glazing a total of 23/15 points of armor which looks just like normal clothing, only a bit shiny but who cares it's the future.

As of weapons, a knife and a medium pistol with infrared laser sight.

As of tech, specs, ecto, utilitool, some nanobandages. As of drugs, drive, klar, grin, MRDR and kick.

Morph doesn't really matter, but if it's a guard or guard deluxe, no drugs are needed and there's a repair spray instead of nanobandages.

That's pretty much it and should all be around [High], which I can afford at any time with credits or L4 favors.

Cute
So that's a no, then?

Why would one use flayer bullets instead of biter bullets? The price category is the same, but biter does way more damage.

>pterodactyl with a crest and no tail
>bipedal stance
>no uropatagia
>brachiopatagia not connected to legs
>anisodactyly

I give this pterosaur a 2/10 - accidental bird

Could be a dsungaripterus.

The only complaint that would fix is the tail, and then the skull would be all wrong

GURPS. To make it rules-lite, just don't roll for everything.

But what about rolling for breathing? How can we play dnd without it?

Anarchists can do damage, but on Mars they're pretty limited in what real permanent change they can accomplish. Professional anarchists are less likely to be making political or symbolic statements, and more likely to be supporting anarchists elsewhere in the system by gathering intelligence and sabotaging corp plans.

This means taking out (politically, assassinations do nothing in eclipse phase) any effective anti-anarchist personnel, stealing blueprints for any useful tech, infiltrating corporate networks, etc, and then sending the information back home. If they do any general shit-stirring or terrorist bombing at all, it's mostly as a distraction/irritant for strategic purposes, rather than anything like a real attempt at change.

Stay beneath notice, note what everyone else is carrying, pick up what the locals throw away.

>on Mars they're pretty limited in what real permanent change they can accomplish
Slightly redirect an incoming iceteroid

>What would they want

You'd probably have some broad statements as goals - let's take "end hypercorporate control of Mars", but day-to-day operations would probably be a more pressing concern. Like most guerilla groups, a successful cell is going to have to make the local population like them more than they like the people they're opposing. So things like helping to smuggle out indentures, breaking DRM on fabbers, offering gene-hacking services to mitigate the problems of cheap biomorphs, providing resolution services to solve local disputes, etc. etc. are going to be the bread-and-butter stuff that the cell does. This sort of thing helps build up trust with the community, which is going to be valuable should the state come a-knocking, extends your network of contracts and helps to erode the hypercorporate lifestyle and way of thinking in the area.

There's always the option of bombing stuff, killing personnel and destroying infrastructure, but I'd like to imagine that a cell would generally be more interested in increasing the likelihood of mass social unrest and upheaval over direct, violent action. If what you want in your game is bomb-tossing anarchists shouting "viva la revolution!", there's space in the game for that sort of thing too though.

It's probably worth distinguishing between full anarchists and barsoomian nationalists or other autonomists here, in terms of what their goals are. The latter are much more likely to work within and around the system, and focus on getting sympathetic people elected. Anarchists probably can't make much political headway.

Stellificate Jupiter with some extreme pressure nukes.

>Anarchists probably can't make much political headway.

Or any headway in any area, for that matter. Hence I believe there'd be quite a difference between what their stated aims are, and what their day-to-day operations are. The stuff they actually do is likely to help further their goals in the long run, and aid in their overall survival, but I'd personally portray them as doing the groundwork for setting up the systems that'll help spark the revolution, rather than them believing they're on the cusp of overthrowing the oligarchs. A Mars that's one-day-before-the-revolution would look quite a bit different to the Mars that's presented in the books.

Iceteroids are already being tossed at Mars for terraforming, making it a pretty viable strategy

You know, I'd like to imagine the Jovians would be all over some sick ass power armor to help them fight against people who sleeve into bodies capable of olympic/superhuman strength and endurance.

This doesn't help you very much against people who have superhuman strength and endurance, and even more badass power armor (with 200% more nanomachines).

Nanomachines only help with repair when it comes to power armor.

Oh well, I imagine where it really matters the ones that have to take care of any real threats arn't bothered by the idea of sleeving into a body that can do the job anyways when push comes to shove.

They're definitely all over that. Won't help much. The bigger problem is speed. When the other guy comes in with reflex boosters and level 2 neurachem, you're pretty boned.

>What's a medichine?

reading comprehension, m8

It doesn't have a skull, its a stylized robot

If attacking the body doesn't work, what about attacking the soul?

Are you suggesting that medichines are not, in fact, nanomachines? M8?

What jove really had going for it militarily is their fleet and position. The still fleshy military is better for morale and discipline within the population, its more of a lifestyle choice than it is a strategic one. Still, it will be useful, for whatever tiny value it is worth.

we at the spaceborne Anti-Vatican are working on the means to do just that. We know that if we make the superstitious of jupiter believe their souls are at risk from a ornate cole bubble in the belt filled with neo-octopi clergymen and sluty scum nuns the civilized system will have scored a massive victory.