FAVORITE CLASS you played so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Eqmhwxdz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>FAVORITE CLASS you played so far?
Rogue. I adore the 5e rogue.

Beastmaster Ranger
Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer are such fun class features!
Hide in Plain Sight might be my favorite though... SO MUCH utility!

I haven't been able to get a group together since I got into 5e...

What is wrong with that horse.

I'm trying to like the paladin, but something about it seems... off.

>What is wrong with that horse.
It was a different time....
This is mine as well. My rogue has been a blast. I've been rolling horrible on all my clutch skill checks too but it still feels fun.

Is there anything inherently wrong with a str based ranger?

You need dex anyway for AC and bows. You could sacrifice bows and get heavy armor but there is little advantage to doing so.

you just will need 14 dex for your armor or to wait until level 4 to get heavy armor proficiency through the feat, or dip a level in fighter (at the start) or cleric (any time, of the appropriate archetype).
ironically (well idk if its ironic but) heavy weapons with the ranger are really good, because they have ways to get extra hits (giant killer, horde breaker, whirlwind attack).
you just have little support for it, lacking heavy armor and the two handed weapon fighting style.

>two handed weapon fighting style.
Actually, apparently GWF fighting style is not all that great... and defense is a better fighting style for front-lining with a two-handed weapon?

>No good feats that include a +1Dex
Fucking why. Forces me to choose some shit feat like Athlete or bump an AS I don't care about along with dex to get dex to 20 using point-buy/st. array.

What critters do you want to see in Volo's Guide to Monsters?

Anyone else notice that Curse of Strahd and Storm King's Thunder appear to not involve an external RPG studio? HotDQ, RoT, PotA, and OotA all involved bringing in a third-party studio to help with design work and heavy lifting, but CoS was done entirely in-house (outside of bringing in I6 Ravenloft's designers for consulting) and this one hasn't had any fanfair of another studio.

Posting this from another thread . How would you go about creating the original seven Justice League members? What would their class be?

I'm going to be participating in an online game with a bunch of other people doing homobrew races, and I wanted to play a thri-kreen. Threw together some stats for them and wanted to know if Veeky Forums thought it was shitty or overpowered or whatever.

pastebin.com/Eqmhwxdz

Resilient Dex

>a bunch of other people doing homobrew races
>homobrew races
I don't know, man. That thri-kreen brew doesn't even have a paragraph about using all four arms to handle dicks.

My class already has Dex saves

what do you mean? like you're making a dragonborn rogue or something which can only start with 15 dex? you know you can split ASI's into two +1s to different stats right?
it just depends on what you want. you don't need it, no. its an average of 1 damage about on any given attack. i wouldn't say its a clear cut choice for each instance, but you would be fine without it.

Does anyone have a link to a megaupload trove of 3e and 4e? I want to take some old adventures and either fix 'em up for 5e or steal any good encounters, NPCs, puzzles, etc. I take a fancy to.

I got a question.

when you start out with a paladin, can the shield you can start out with be engraved with a holy symbol? or do i have to find someone to engrave it or something like that

>what do you mean? like you're making a dragonborn rogue or something which can only start with 15 dex? you know you can split ASI's into two +1s to different stats right?
>Elf
>Aarakocra
>Halfling
+2dex

Starting with 17 dex. Ending up at 19 and then needing to take a useless half ASI feat or bump dex and something I don't care about (as I originally stated in the post you replied to, read the fucking post before you reply, idiot).

>being a ranger

ok you're a troll got it

>when you start out with a paladin, can the shield you can start out with be engraved with a holy symbol? or do i have to find someone to engrave it or something like that
its up to your dm but i think in most cases the answer will be yes. but sometimes your dm will make that be your one and only holy symbol if you don't get one from your background as well. so just ask your dm.

You can start with it on, but you could always have a separate holy symbol to begin with and get your shield engraved later on.

Right now with my paladin I waited until he could swear his oath and had his shield painted at a ceremony at his temple. I spoke to my DM about having an optional holy symbol for the god to be the "point of enlightenment" which made the paladin seek out the faith. Mine is thunderclouds sending bolts of lightning down on an open field with skulls dotted around, representing my god saving my soldier from undead shenanigans during a war with orcs. I thought having the paladin order together with each shield telling their story was some pretty cool imagery, as did my DM.

I cannot comprehend how you could be construing my post as a troll post. Unless you're pulling the "shit, he's right! better call him a troll" damage control card.

My original post:
>"sucks to have to dump the extra +1 into a score I don't care about"
Your reply:
>"urr, uh yu realize u can split the one +2 into uhhhh t-...t-two +1s rite?"
You're a drooling fucking retard.

I guess Medium Armor Master will have to do.

MAM doesn't increase your Dexterity

Just add a +1 to something else

its easy based on how you insult me over nothing.
also i didn't take your original post to mean you were literally at 19 in dex trying to decide what to do at this point.
i still think you're trolling based on the language you're using and your characterization of yourself versus me because you got yourself into this mess by starting with a 17 in dex instead of a 16 without planning for what to do when you need to add an odd number to your dex, which should be pretty obvious to you versus me if i'm a lot dumber than you, but thats okay.
just take athlete its bretty good for rogues.

There's literally no use for any of the other scores. They'll just be bumped up to a 9 or 11, making absolutely no difference.

Dex half ASI feats:
-Athlete: pretty useless because of how rarely you will be knocked prone let alone how rarely you crucially need to stand up from prone and have as much speed left over as possible; also, very rarely is the climbing benefit going to come up and the jumping benefit is pretty useless too
{
-Lightly Armored
-Moderately Armored
}: useless because if you're taking these, you're doing your class wrong in the first place
-Resilient: useless if you are trying to half-ASI a stat you already have save proficiency with
-Weapon Master: useless if you already have all weapon proficiencies

Alright then, Athlete, I guees

Increase a score to 9 or 11 and then next ASI increase it to 10 or 12

Not trolling you man, but sure, I was pretty needlessly hostile, sorry mate.

Anyway, I'm planning it out now (just putting a build together for fun, this character isn't in a game) and I'm just upset that there isn't a gratifying option.

>Favourite Class
Shadow Monk definitely. I got the Cloak of the Bat with mine, and he's basically ninja batman.

The next two (the last two) ASIs bring secondary stat (wisdom) up to 18 and then 20.

Critique? Some class edits for a low fantasy game. I'd like to know some anons' opinions.

>Fighting styles can't be taken as feats
Wow, that's the first real complaint I have about 5e.
That's reasonable enough to ask your DM about doing, though, right?

Next ASI: +1 to Dex and Con
Then Resilience: Constitution

why did you turn bard into a wizard and then name it sorcerer?
why are you even starting with 17 in dex then?

Because I don't ascribe to the term Sorcerer always referencing natural spellcasters. It's a setting-specific terminology.

When discussing the game it's a mechanical distinction so of course there'll be confusion.

ok
the thing about the wizard class is that its biggest strength is getting access to the wizard spell list, and having a book that has more spells than everyone else. if you just give that straight up to a bard, which is already a really powerful class that can do everything well, then you've given one class too much, even if you nerf jack of all trades slightly.

I don't know, every game I join dies within a few sessions because lol online games.

I thought the opening was clear about that. I'll take another look if it's a problem.

Would it help to return to spells known?

Really hard to choose between Swashbuckler Rogue or Wild Magic Sorcerer.

Valor Bard (although I wish Swords Bard had existed)
I want to finally get to try Ancients Paladin

>Would it help to return to spells known?
i'm not sure, honestly. probably not enough. i don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, hopefully another user can chime in.
this is from the UA on modifying classes though:
>Wizards have the longest spell list and the broadest selection of spells to choose from each day, thanks to their spellbooks. Anything that further increases their versatility in this respect should be approached with caution.
you've essentially taken the wizard and increased their versatility a lot by giving them every class feature the bard has.
think about how the sorcerer has a limited version of the wizard list, and it learns less spells than the bard.

>Favorite Class you played so far?

Never played, only DM'd.
I honestly don't even entertain the thought of what class I would play.

I can change it to the Sorcerer spell list...or perhaps Warlock?

A suitably small one, to be sure. I forgot to add it to the pdf, but I also banned all healing magic below 6th level, and trimmed most the rest out. I also made it clear to my players who've seen this that spellcasters are on Witcher-mode: you are surprisingly murderable despite all the arcane arts you wield. So I'm not too terribly worried unless some DM allows his spellcasters to run roughshod over the setting.

I figured he thought you were a troll because you can't pointbutly to 17, and get a +1 to dex from race while also getting a feat at level 1.

The only way to start with a 20 is rolling.

Where are the Veeky Forums homebrew classes and such. I remember downloading a zip file a while ago, but now I cant find it... I looked through the MEGA and the pastebin and can't seem to find it.

Is the divine sense getting changed. Paladins just don't feel the same without their evil detecting spidey sense.

>wanting detect evil again
Literally a that guy ability

Is going valor Bard with a bow smart if i have 10 dex? My character is a Half-Orc and a club is just not that exciting.

>Is it smart
Not really
>Can I do it
Honestly yes, that +1-+5 boost is convenient, and allows you to use sharpshooter, but isn't inherently needed. You'll just be kinda shit and people will wonder a lot why you aren't just using javelins and vicious mockery

We never had evil characters in our party, I don't think it would have come up if we did. Dick players aren't a reason to change a reasonable ability. I am the DM and i basically just made a rule to myself that if there was a paladin in the party evil WOULD NOT be able to hide in their vicinity without some pretty hefty magic cloaking it and even then only if the paladin was in a situation where they might be distracted. It works both ways, the paladin doesn't get to hide either, the evil would be able to tell a paladin at a glance and sense that a paladin is in his aura of influence.

If I'm not mistaken they kept the paladin aura of good the same but they changed divine sense, I think that's a pile of horse shit.

It was never a reasonable ability. 5e is trying to kill alignment because a bunch of cancerous players use it as a crutch to justify murdering random shopkeepers who ping slightly evil.

Fuck you too. Why don't you just remove aura of courage and smite evil while your at it?

Literally the only paladin class feature they did semi-right in 5e was Divine Health. They basically shit all over Aura of Courage by making it level 10, and only a 10 foot radius at level 10. Sure they kept Smite and Lay on Hands alright as features because those are basic bitch abilities that are literally just damage and healing that no one goes out of their way to play a paladin for. Paladins are the supermen of D&D, their goods trump card, their the class you pick to say "Oh you fear, me and my companions can NEVER be afraid", "Oh you poison or disease? I can cure that instantly and never be affected by any malicious infection because IM FUCKING SUPERMAN", "Oh you want to be a corrupt demon worshiper hiding among the masses, EVIL CAN'T HIDE FROM BE BITCH!"

Its like if they removed shapeshifting, timeless body, and the druidic circle shit from druids, that's the only reason people play druids nobody I know actually picks a class for how much damage they do and what spells they get.

You pick a class because you want to do the shit that no other class can do.

Is there a spell similar to Swift Quiver for throw weapons?

Technically you're still carrying your javelins in a quiver! (officially no)

Rookie DM here looking for a little help with rigging up a low-level monster for a team of 6-7 lvl 6 players.

I have pre-established an Aaztar Ghola as a prominent threat to my players back when they were level 3, though now after several sessions they just turned lvl 6 and are out for blood. I'm wondering how I can make the Ghola a threat without going overkill.

My initial idea was to basically bash stats from a demon to give it survivability. It will probably come with ghouls & ghasts, but they will probably be wheat to the scythe for this group. My main issue is I don't know if I'm going overkill here or not.

Aaztar Ghola
110 HP, 18 AC
+2 STR, +5 DEX, +3 CON, +4 INT, +3 WIS, +5 CHA

Spellcasting:
3/Day: Inflict Wounds, Fear, Detect Magic, Dispel magic
1/Day: Finger of Death, Power Word Stun, Fly

Multiattack, 2x Scimitar: +7 HIT, d6+5

Arcane Fatigue: lvl 2 exhaustion if he ever uses Finger of Death or Power Word Stun

Dominate Ghouls: Imparts advantage vs Turn Undead to all ghouls & ghasts

Fighter, though that's largely due to it being the only class I've played extensively.

eldritch knight to be specific, but I don't get to use a whole lot of magic for reasons.* still pretty fun despite this, as I still deal a ton of damage and act as a tank. I only did it 'cause of a character idea, but the fact that fighter is a fun class says a lot about 5e imo

*partially due to derping up my spell/cantrip selections earlier on, and partially because our DM decided a long rest should be 3 days long. which does suck a little, but our party is crafty/scrappy enough to get by despite being three casters and a rogue

6-7 level 6s will tear through that and ghouls in a round

Honestly you could just let them have the pleasure of steam rolling this guy.

Did he fuck with them when they were lower level? Getting revenge is fun for players

He was a business associate with a night hag that was harassing them earlier. He indirectly helped by providing muscle but they are completely unaware of his capacities.

I'm hoping to give them some challenge at least.

if Veeky Forums has ever taught me anything it's that paladins were timebombs waiting for the DM to find any excuse for them to fall.

if 5e did any favors for the paladin, it was adjusting the ideals they uphold away from alignment. so yeah they're no longer "supermen", but they aren't held up to ridiculous standards either, nor do players have to worry about DM's trapping them and causing them to fall and going on some long ass quest for atonement.

honestly I've never been more interested to try playing a paladin, and it's not like it really changed flavor-wise either. it's still the "divine warrior who champions a cause" class

>DM decided a long rest should be 3 days long

How do changes like this happen? What was the conversation like? Were short rests changed? How often are you interrupted?

>its easy based on how you insult me over nothing
Welcome to Veeky Forums. Start growing thick skin now.

It's just the gritty variant rule that increases the duration of rests; the main issue is if he keeps short rests the same, it unfairly screws anyone who isn't a martial or a warlock.

Finger of Death makes things pretty swingy. 7d8+30 averages at about 65-70 damage, which can one-shot a 6th level PC, and it kills outright without allowing death saves, and then permanently reanimates the corpse so resurrection is off the table. If anyone fails the save (or even passes, if they aren't fresh and topped off), you could well instakill a PC.

My experience with spells like Finger of Death, Disintegrate or Power Word Kill is that they work better when used on NPCs. That way the players can see how dangerous the enemy can be, but you don't have to worry about insta-killing players.

whoa there buddy, looks like you blew a gasket. there's no need to get excited, it's not as bad as you seem to think. but I'll answer your questions

1) the DM said so.
2) all but one of the players have been playing RPGs for a long time. the DM has also been playing for a long time, and kinda prefers things on the harder/deadlier side, and this was his first full 5e campaign. the new guy was a rogue, so w/e. I was begrudging, but I'm still a fighter so I didn't care as much. one of the other players was also a rogue, so again w/e. that just leaves the wizard with an 8 Con, but his player is a D&D/pf veteran, and gets by with careful use of spells and cantrips. eventually new guy rogue got replaced with new girl druid, but druids get their shapechange back with short rests, so despite this being her first campaign this hasn't been a problem.
3) no
4) honestly? we've only ever had to deal with shit once (well technically twice), but that's because we decided to take a long rest in the tomb of some mad dwarf king in an ancient dwarven mountain city. we were approached by a young red dragon, but he was young enough that 150 gp made him run away gleefully. we moved to a secluded cavern and got approached by some cult kobolds, but we managed to diplomance them into not telling the other kobolds. otherwise, we just take our long rests in secure places like taverns and inns.

really though, I don't mind. none of us really mind. short rests are still short, and you can stretch your resources pretty far in this edition. we're also not dungeon crawling, and the DM is really good at world building and rp scenarios, so despite having some really hard fights, we're not under constant bombardment of combat encounters either.

>it unfairly screws anyone who isn't a martial or a warlock
I don't see how that's the case. most classes will get something back after a short rest, so really it just means careful usage of the resources you're given by your class.

I mean, Bard does, Druid does, I'm pretty sure wizard's short rest ability is once every long rest though but you could make them more ritual focused.

bard does? hell our wizard does pretty well despite being anemic and not at all ritual based (even if he has hit 0 hp more than any other party member lol).

I should admit we do get some concessions from our DM, like all hit dice rolls (when leveling up) are at least average, so I'm super tanky while even the wizard can take like one big hit and not die.

I'm sick of this meme that all casters are screwed by longer long rests and all martials are good to go all day every day.

>Barbarians:
Don't get shit on a short rest, they need a long rest for their rages
>Bards:
Get their Bardic Inspiration back on a short rest (after level 5), but only regain spell slots on a long rest
>Clerics:
Get their Channel Divinity back on a short rest, but only regain spell slots on a long rest
>Druids:
Get their Wildshape back on a short rest, Land Druids get some spell slots back on a short rest
>Fighters:
Get everything back on a short rest except any uses of Indomitable and EK spell slots
>Monks:
Get their ki back on a short rest
>Paladins:
Only get their Channel Divinity back on a short rest
>Rangers:
Only get their spells back on a long rest, but everything else is independent of rests
>Rogues:
Do not care about rests, except for Arcane Tricksters who only get their spell slots back on a long rest
>Sorcerers:
Don't get shit on a short rest, they need a long rest for everything
>Warlocks:
Get everything back on a short rest except for their Mystic Arcanum slots
>Wizards:
Get some spell slots back on a short rest

The only classes that are crippled without accessible long rests are Barbarians, Paladins and Sorcerers. That's one full caster, one half caster, and one martial. Clerics and Bards have some difficulty, but they do get resources back - Clerics' Channel Divinity options are good, and they get more than one per short rest, and Bardic Inspiration is the cornerstone of the playstyle anyway. Everyone else is good.

If you want to multiclass Fighter for 2 levels it works great. (Start with fighter)

Wow, you literally like all the shittiest parts of the Paladin class. Detect Evil was a metagame mechanic that deserved to die, just like Smite Evil was. Any ability 100% reliant on a targets alignment is hot garbage.

Really they should just rename the class to Crusader or something and reserve Paladin for actual fucking Paladins. Paladins fight evil, its what they do, they're entire existence revolves around fighting evil. If you want a diverse class that fights a lot of different things role a cleric or a fighter. Paladin really should have never become a standard class.

>all casters
I said warlock was more than happy
Bard, Cleric, Druid and Paladin I overlooked but they're relatively side abilities.

Although, true, the last time I rolled a bard I was only using spells in-extremis or as a buffbot (either Faerie Fire or Elemental Weapons)

Paladins are imperial sycophants, nothing to do with fighting evil.

user kinda got a point there. paladins fight evil, but doing so all willy nilly would get you shitcanned, which is why I'm glad they got rid of that alignment-based ethics bullshit

U fucking wot mate?

>The compassion to do good, the will to uphold the law, and the power to defeat evil -- these are the three weapons of the paladin.
>Still the paladin really comes into her own when leading a mighty campaign against evil, not when merely looting ruins.

3.0/3.5 PHB

>Through a select, worthy few shines the power of the divine. Called paladins, these noble souls dedicate their swords and lives to the battle against evil.
First two sentences of the class description Pathfinder Core Rulebook

Real Paladins, 2nd E Paladins, bitch ass players didn't get to fuck around and there was strict rules about what was falling and what wasn't, there wasn't any DM interpretation about it.
>A paladin must remain chaste
>Must never marry
>A Paladin must reject adulation and decline rewards
>Strict magical item limit
One suit of magical armor
One magical shield
Four magical weapons
Four misc magical items

A paladin does not expect handouts nor does he rely on the generosity of strangers or his companions. He feels responsible to pay his own way and takes pride in his self-sufficiency. Unlike most other characters, however, the paladin operates under strict guidelines as to how he can spend his money and how much he can save.

>A paladin must pay for his own food, and steed
>A paladin must maintain his own equipment
>Paladins must buy the best tarns and harness for their bonded mounts
>When sleeping outdoors isn't practical the paladin seeks the least expensive inn
>A paladin must pay all taxes, tolls, levees demanded by his liege and foreign governments
>A paladin may pay a tutor for training, providing the tutor is of lawful good alignment and the paladin has permission from his patron.
>A paladin must pay fair salaries for all servitors and henchmen
>A paladin must pay all costs associated with the construction and maintenance of his stronghold.

I don't care what the PHB says at the class title, you aren't playing a fucking paladin.

>His paladins don't serve Charlemagne

the fuck is this shit?

to be a paladin, you have to
>be Frankish
>be a high ranking warrior of Charlemagne's court
>fight the Saracen invaders

the fuck are these divine powers?

(also get that pathfinder shit out of here, this is a 5e thread)

>Fight Saracen invaders
>Fight Catholic Basques just in case they might be Saracen invaders

I use my old pokemon toys as miniatures for my games, which works wonders.

What does /5eg/ use as non-conventional miniatures?

War hammer 40k Orks.

An accurate depiction of the typical D&D party.

aw man, even back then paladins were still assholes. gary gygax captured the essence of the paladin class well (and by gary gygax I mean the guy who created the class that gary "borrowed" for official d&d rules)

I'm tempted to give my players a freebie language slot just to go back to how Ravenloft did languages in 2e; no common, even the core has a dozen languages easily (although I usually treated Invidia as a reversal of Barovia, with Luktar official and a big Balok-speaking minority)

The gritty variant suggested in the DMG suggests lengthening a short rest to 8 hours and a long rest to a few days.

Prepare to have your players bored and frustrated by their inability to talk to anyone.

Deepspawn.

WWE TeenyMates. One of my players refuses to use anything other than The Rock to represent his shaven dwarf.

Paladins fighting evil is fine.

Detect Evil is hot garbage.

Smite Evil is hot garbage.

Metagame alignment interactions are hot garbage.

Between this and
>I won't talk to you because for some unexplained reason I am fully aware that you're outsiders despite speaking the exact same language fluently
I feel the former is the less fiat-ish option. FWIW I'm also reducing the downtime cost and difficulty of languages and they're definitely getting told to start with the local language unless their backstory is literally meant to be "token funny foreigner"

The only time language comes up is when it's a barrier. Either the players won't notice it at all or they'll hate it. You're not actually going to be able to explore the fun subtleties of comparative linguistics because everyone's actually speaking either English or gibberish. Trust me, this is one of those things that DMs waste a lot of time preparing for because the players either won't notice or won't like it.

>I feel the former is the less fiat-ish option
Why do you feel that your only two options are to have more language barriers than normal or to have insurmountable cultural barriers to make up for them? Why is it so important that your PCs be unable to talk to your NPCs?

>Really they should just rename the class to Crusader or something and reserve Paladin for actual fucking Paladins. Paladins fight evil, its what they do, they're entire existence revolves around fighting evil.

paladins in 5e do fight evil, it's part of their basic class description.

>Whatever their origin and their mission, paladins are united by their oaths to stand against the forces of evil.

>A paladin swears to upholdjustice and righteousness, to stand with the good things of the world against the encroaching darkness, and to hunt the forces of evil wherever they lurk.

all the paladin archetypes (aside from oathbreaker, which is deliberately for "failed paladins") revolve around fighting evil. the only difference is that fighting evil is no longer only for lawful good characters.