Have you ever wanted to play a character that you found interesting in a genuinely non-sexual way...

Have you ever wanted to play a character that you found interesting in a genuinely non-sexual way, but couldn't actually play because it would immediately be stamped as "magical realm"?
I've personally seen this happen a fair amount, both on Veeky Forums and in real life - some groups and people are very touchy about fetish material, and immediately disqualify things that often get fetishized. Examples could be skintight/revealing clothes, good-looking female characters, underage characters, characters with shapeshifting powers, characters with mind-control powers, beastfolk, elves (oh God the elves), and I have no trouble imagining that you can remember plenty others.
My personal opinion is that you can usually spot a fetish from miles away if you care to look, and that being too touchy about magical realm closes up a lot of character concepts that could have been refreshing, if not always equally innovative or interesting. The problem only comes when someone has a fetish for the material and thus gets their emotions mixed up in it, which results in a lot of drama and spaghetti flinging in the most cases.

99.9% of the time someone says they're playing a fetishy character for non-fetishy reasons, they're lying to your face or in personal denial. Usually both without realizing it.

once i DMed a game and NPCed one of the characters brother. it was a pretty lighthearted campaign and the brother was a male hooker/stripper. he had 1/4 the level of the party in rogue but i would love to see that character fully fleshed out some time

Although the only groups i could ever do that in i am foreveraDM

The saddest part is, sometimes with a certain group of them, they themselves will agree with you, then continue on like the idea of them being part of that 99.9% is so impossible it never even occurred to them.

Why do weeaboos have absolutely zero social awareness?

You're allowed to think that, but I personally have a fair bit of experience with that kind of characters. It might be easier if you play with friends (not to mention that it's harder to lie to a friend), but I've noticed that it's stupidly easy to spot if someone has a fetish for something. There are signs to look for, but most of the time it's just a gut feeling.
It's a rather logically contorted argument that if someone has a fetish for something, then 99.9% of the time, that character is played by someone with that fetish. Guess there are a lot of people with a fetish for strong, silent and serious fighters out there.
I'm not saying you've never played a game in real life with people who aren't double autists, but I'm saying I wouldn't believe it if you claimed so.
It always seems to be the people with the least experience who make up the most elaborate Exhibit A stories, maybe even to excuse why they don't play with others.
The idea of most weeaboos actually trying to hide their fetishes is completely alien to me, too. Usually, what makes weeaboos bad is that they're loud, unrestrained and circlejerky, splattering the whole game in cheap references and ripoffs, and not that they have the actual social competence needed to play psychological warfare with the GM.

I got accused of "being weird" when I played a Dark Heresy Techpriest who was the most human-looking techpriest in the entire Imperium, only augmentations she had that were visible were a couple mechadendrites and an implant in her back that I described as looking like the RIG from Dead Space.

I'd justified it by having her be a Biologis priest, since she was the party medic anyways, and flavored her as having this fascination with the "mechanics of flesh," to the point that she'd eschewed visible implants because they spoiled the image of humanity. She wore plain clothes (usually Guard fatigues and t-shirts) because she had subdermal armor as fuck (that I paid a couple times cost for to make it much less bulky and obvious), and then just the plain red Mechanicus robes.

That game barely lasted more than two sessions anyways before it just stopped (DM fell facefirst into World of Warcraft, where he remains to this day) but I've always liked the character. Apparently it struck somebody's fetish alarm, though. Was I in the wrong, Veeky Forums?

This seems pretty reasonable, I think you found one of your fellow player's fetishes, user.

I've definitely had experiences with this, but my group for the most part is pretty chill about stuff like this. We had a bathhouse scene that stuck out because one of the PCs described his character's lewd piercings, but no one questioned it because the character had piercings all over anyway. My group does call out one specific PC, however, for trying to make his female dragonborn act feminine instead of beastly. I, as DM, don't think it's his fetish, I think he's just playing a female character, but I allow them their fun.

>tfw as DM I let a joke get the better of me and now I think they might think I have a snake fetish

That isn't very magical realm at all user
Your character sounds p cool, and it doesn't sound like you did anything to make it sexual?
Your friend must have had the assburgers

shoulda seen the 555555 get two days ago

>Have you ever wanted to play a character that you found interesting in a genuinely non-sexual way, but couldn't actually play because it would immediately be stamped as "magical realm"?
Yes, but I did actually play one once.

I played a paladin Succubus. Indoctrinated and brought up in a paladin order to scorn her body and mind as they were both icons of sin. Thus she covers herself from head to toe in plate armor and keeps her body from the sight of others. Cutting and grinding down her horns as they grow, cutting off her tail as penance for being born wrong. A heavy religious zealot and more than willing to punish herself for her misdeeds with what could be described with self-torture.

My group is as well, I play about half and half male/female characters and the only one I can recall as causing a little forehead dabbing was the bloody tech priestess, who showed up at the group's landing pad in Guard fatigues, looking like shit and covered in blood and oil. Maybe someone's really, unhealthily into surgery. Maybe I'm secretly grouped with Karl Ruprecht Kroenen.

>Your character sounds p cool, and it doesn't sound like you did anything to make it sexual?
I didn't try to, the first time I described her she was basically wearing trench warfare between the mud, blood, and exhaustion. When they got to the ship I mentioned she'd showered and changed, meaning to underline the idea that she felt uncomfortable being disheveled (returning to the "purity of form" thing). That's really about it.
>Your friend must have had the assburgers
There's a little sperg in all of us, user, though yeah, some are more equal than others.

sounds a bit like the Adepta Sororitas to me. cool.

There's a alternate career rank in one of the DH books that represents a division of techpriests meant to act as liaisons between Cult Mechanicus and the rest of Imperium, and they're mentioned as having less bionics (or at least less obvious ones), because for some reason regular fleshlings are uncomfortable talking to a guy made 90% out of gears and cables. The Ciaphas Cain books also have a techpriestess minor character who is noted as having very little bionics (one mechadendrite and some minor bionics). So I don't really see that being particularly lore-breaking.

Your personal obsession with fetishes and trying to figure out all the most convoluted ways to insert (and to try to rationalize inserting) your fetishes into games have left you incapable of emphasizing with the rest of humanity.

You can talk about hypotheticals all you want, but it's clear that you're just an awful player and people are quite right to limit you and to tell you not to bring your fetishes into their games.

Your group disqualifies those ideas, ideas other groups have no issues with, because you are fucked up in the head and you ruin even the idea of child characters.

You're sick.

I can't play a hero based off DeadMan cause my gms are afraid i'll
1) trivialize an encounter by trying to possess the boss or his strongest minion.
2) Go joyriding.

I just want to do spooky ghost things

you're projecting harder than a multiplex cinema

No, I play with adults.

I am the GM (forever), I decide where the magical realm is. I don't shoot on sight, but if the dude goes really weird, I ask him to stop.
And magical realms aren't a problem in Black Crusade, especially if you are slaaneshi

Well, I've had a couple of characters for Exalted who've been like this. Big surprise.

One was a black lesbian pirate, a former slave who still had lingering romantic feelings for her former owner.

The second was an 11 year old girl, a head full of stories, heroic sagas and dreams of being a great hero, suddenly gifted with a Solar Exaltation.

But then, is it possible to do Exalted without entering someone's magical realm?

Considering that real life mythology couldn't stay out of the magical realm, I'd say it is literally impossible to have a religion that doesn't tickle somebody's fancy.

Hi Virt.

Also this and this Man... I'd like to believe there are mature groups out there that can handle certain things like child characters well, but every single time I've had someone play a child character, the following things have happened without fail:
-The character is a girl (nobody ever wants to play boys, but not Magical Realm, sure)
-The player uses anime art for the picture
-The character is played like a walking collection of anime cliches and uncomfortable 'fanservice"
-The players seem to be incompetent on purpose to make the character suffer or otherwise end up in bad situations.

Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

I've had better luck with other magical realmy stuff being played seriously. But never with child characters.

>play beastrace or kobold
>give them some sort of unattractive trait
>still get called a furfag

Guys, I'm not the one who suggested that the Kobold and the Gnome do a bikini wagon washing scene, OK? I mean, sure, it did get the attention of the Incubus we were looking for, but still.

There's a simple test here. Ask the player to play something else and see how resistant they are to the idea. If they're prepared to defend their character to the point of not playing if they're disallowed that character or another similar character appealing to the same fetish, they're probably Magical Realm'ing. If the player is OK with considering another idea, let them go with their original.

To be fair, those characters sound like they have the potential for some interesting roleplay, as long as a) the player doesn't play up the MR aspect and b) the GM is competent.

>kobolds associating with gnomes
Both are a disgrace to their people.

They're adventurers. That was already a given.

Do settings count?

I've always wanted to play in a setting similar to Ninja Turtles, Pizza Cats, or Usagi Yojimbo, but I'm worried people might mistake me for a furry if I suggest it, or that I'd find furries if I went looking for a setting like that.

I've actually always wanted to play a kunoichi. It's just that that would hit a ton of warning flags and I'm not willing to bother with it.

if you aren't playing with Veeky Forums retards who look for furries under their beds nobody would bat an eye

Well, the child one was originally a joke, but as I went on, I got more interested in the idea.
She'd still be better suited to a more light hearted campaign.

I've always wanted to play an awakened ooze. Probably as a grappler or some such.

All the time. Sometimes I just feel like playing a female character for the sake of variety, but people assume I'll slut it up (despite me never playing anything other than a chaste character).

And seriously, am I the only person that grew up in the 80s and 90s? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Duck Tales, Street Sharks? Beast races are just awesome.

I kinda like to think there is an obvious difference between fetish character and typical fantasy game character. Because I'm not a fan of outlawing all elves simply because too many weirdos.

If someone wants to play a slime that takes the form of a girl, or a catgirl with no understanding or foreknowledge of the pre existing cat-like races in the setting already. Or some kind of shape changer with the same total lack of knowledge of shape changing races or classes.

I'm surprised Druids do not come up more often as the go to furry class, or 5e barbarians as the otherkin.

Depends on what the problem is. I play a variety of characters that are not magical realmy, but I'll defend them to the fucking end. My mind, my character. If the GM has a problem with that than I'll make a new one, but I'll goddamn make it.

One of my player's characters is a slimegirl. It hasn't been lewd even in the slightest in-game, but you gotta wonder if he's enjoying it after the session.

I know I don't have that problem. My problem is the opposite, the DM confronts me and asks why I insist on asexual girls.

That's MY fetish.