Stat Me

Stat me, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

girlgeniusonline.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this thing still going? I stopped reading when she ditched her cute green skirt and vest grab. Which was around page 20 I think.

An artificer with an inner mantra that temporarily removes a GM-imposed de buff to crafting skills.

It's got like a thousand pages or something. I stopped during the bear attack on the train.

Currently they're underneath Paris, in the tunnels of the Mole People, looking for artifacts to counter the effects of the Time Stop. They found one of Van Rijn's Muses, who has informed them that Tarvek is not the true heir of the Storm King. (I'm guessing the entire house of Sturmvoraus is a bunch of pretenders to the throne.)

Something that should have died with the rest of the shitty early 2000's webcomics like Dominic Deegan.

This is one of those IP's where I have no idea why anyone still likes them.

I got into it because heroine was cute. Got tired and confused very soon though, but I still remember her fondly.

You know it's a bit wacky when you put it like that.

Insufferable Mary Sue.

FIRST TELL ME THIS: ARE YOU STILL IN THAT GODFORSAKEN CASTLE?

I read it as a part of my week routine. I don't remember how long ago did I start reading it. The art and the plot is mediocre at best. It has the same schedule as Gunnerkrigg Court, so when it updates I check Girl Genius as well, because why not.

I read Dominic Deegan too, but at some point I realized just how BAD it was and just crossed it out of my list of webcomics that I regularly check. I mean, when the author publishes a book coloured with copico markers, then you know that it's really shitty.

I liked it when she was random nobody kidnapped by some evil science guy. I tuned out, I take it she endured some major power creeps since then? Being of some special lineage and all.

It's an ok comic but I prefer Goblins. No I won't apologize for that.

Remember this?

Well she has a shitty last name and some mad mechanics skills now. Aswell as some powerful firends and enemies and the occasional possession.

>I take it she endured some major power creeps since then?

Everyone did. Girl Genius is like one of those rotating-DM games where every week there's a new houserule or highly contrived situation to show off the DMPC of the week. It's not so much power creep as power-pass-the-parcel.

Goblins IS horrendous shit.
But it's better than Girl Genius, so credit where it's due.

[Fnord]-point IOU alumnus.

Am I supposed to know who this is?

Probably not. I met a girl cosplaying her at a con once, I got the impression nobody else knew who she was.

Oh my, I had forgotten everything. I'd still fuck that troll priest in a heartbeat.

Stabdard Spark template: Quick Gadgeteering (Switchable; Temporary Disadvantage: Megalomania; Linked); Charisma 4; Artificer 4 (Switchable; Temporary Disadvantage: Megalomania; Linked).

Agatha' personal traits: a good amount of Allies, oodles of Enemies, Security Clearance*, IQ+4 (Only when heterodyning).

*Not exactly security clearance, but meant to represent how Heterodyne and Mongfish stuff works for her because of her blood/The Voice. Away from my books, so don't know how accurate this would be.

girlgeniusonline.com/ if you wish to see for yourself.

Oh, that's LONG over. I am recognized by the castle as the true Heterodyne returned. But now the town is in a time stop that I escaped through a time portal, and I'm looking through the tunnels below Paris for a lamp to free Tarvek.

Meh. They've been going in circles and re-using the same plots and jokes for so long it even makes Garfield look fresh.

Eh, fuck the haters.

Because GG is hilarious.

It had and probably still has its moments, but I dropped it because of pacing problems. It started to drag around the castle arc and it started to seem like the Foglio's couldn't let gang get even half-way to solving one problem without introducing two more. It would have been nice to see something actually concluded before shit hit the fan again, and I guess I got escalation fatigue.

Anyone who makes a Girl Genius movie needs to include this scene.

I stopped somewhere after the Aaron Diaz cameo. Can't for the life of me imagine why I even read that much of this trainwreck. It's a horrible comic, and I regret ever reading it.

I had a friend who read Sinfest. So I asked him if the rabid radical feminism didn't bother him. And he was like "oh, that's only like two strips a month". A few days later, he told me he had checked back in the archives. And for months, every single strip had been radfem garbage. He had no idea how he failed to notice, but somehow he did. He stopped reading then, though.

That's force of habit for you. Hell, I used to read CAD, and one day realized I hadn't laughed at a single strip for ages.

Ass'n'Titties/10

Right?

Oh, now I remember. Right after they exited the castle, and there was a gag about -I shit you not- weaponized clown pants. That's when I stopped reading. There's only so much lolrandumbXDXDXDXDXDXD I can take.

Yeah the main problem is just the absolutely horrid pacing. They were in the castle for literal years if I remember correctly, and then the minute after they get out instead of resolving anything they throw in an abrupt time skip which adds even more plot threads and complications. I liked the comic but holy shit do they need to stop escalating things and move the damn plot along towards actually resolving some of the dozens of dangling plot threads.

Yeah, I read that until the got bogged down in some dumbass chosen one plot with that Innocent guy/thing/whatevr

>Yeah the main problem is just the absolutely horrid pacing.

This is true for damn near all long form webcomics, in my experience. Something about the seemingly infinite production possibilities of the internet just makes authors think they need to portrays every tiny, little thing that happens to characters.

The worst offender I've ever seen averaged an in-universe day per year. It was a zombie apocalypse comic, so it was extremely obvious. Lots of cognitive dissonance with the characters acting as if the world was over, yet no more than three days had passed, and the fucking power was still on.

I've run into the same problem with El Goonish Shive. It took Shive an entire year to finish the MTG tournament arc.

That's the sort of comic I refuse to read simply because of the name. Nothing with a name that shitty can be good.

>That's force of habit for you. Hell, I used to read CAD, and one day realized I hadn't laughed at a single strip for ages.

I was this way with Questionable Content. Started out reading because the five days a week update schedule was nice and consistent, but realized after a couple weeks that I didn't actually give a shit about any of the characters and I had laughed at exactly zero jokes. The only thing I fucking laughed at was the fat chick's dad shooting himself in the head in the yard for how completely out-of-place it was.

These days I only catch the occasional QC thread on /co/ where it's just non-stop shitting on the comic. Apparently it's full of trannies and the artist has stabbed himself in the hands two or three times, and the tranny character is starting to look a lot like him.

I enjoy it. To be fair: It started as a strip-a-day/joke-a-week comedy strip the author named after himself when he was in high school (15~ years ago). Over time it grew into its own thing with a rather robust plotline about a group of teens screwing around with magic and super-science while dealing with teen life and mostly keeping stuff secret, while powerful forces are actively trying to change the world around them. There's a hint that they'll be drawn into stuff eventually, but it's all about character development right now and has been for the last decade.(Their cast is not small).

Is this comic better or worse than Bloomin' Faeries?

Is the RPG ever coming out? At all? Fuck me, I was hyped to see that it was based on GURPS, but I am pretty sure that he just doesn't care at this point.

I don't mind it. It's decent funny on occasion and I have to respect an artist who doesn't get up his own ass about it all. So many webcomic artists go straight from 'I'm a nobody' to 'Bow before me all, puny non-artists' the moment they get fans.

And let's be honest: I once read The Wotch (Though I abandoned it when I realized that even if transformation IS my fetish, everything about the comic creeped me the fuck out). My tolerance level for bullshit is pretty high.

I used to read CAD too, God knows why. I dropped it shortly after Loss came out when I realized it just wasn't going to get better.

I thought about getting into Sinfest because of that cute devil girl, but now I know it's just the author's dumb preaching so I'll give it a miss.

I also used to read Dominic Deegan, Order of the Stick, Sluggy Freelance, Girl Genius, El Goonish Shive, hell, even Megatokyo. I stopped reading webcomics altogether about five or six years ago, and I'll be fucked if I could tell you what was going on in the comics when I stopped, or why I put up with them for as long as I did.

I still like it. It's gotten bogged down with plot on occasion, and I wish Jeph would get off his soapbox, but it suits my sense of humour.

I got horribly bored of GG, though. Terrible terrible pacing problems. When they finally got out of Mechanicsburg and onto the train I found myself thinking "Yes! This is where they ditch 90% of the cast and write a story that goes somewhere based around three or four core characters!". And then the rest of the cast started being reintroduced and I lost interest again.

Volumes 1-7 are solid. Volumes 8 to 13 are where it slows down, possibly because they realized that once Agatha actually establishes herself there'll be no reason to keep writing adventures. Then there's the new book, which I might read at some point. Maybe.

Even if you ARE super Feminist, his comics are some of the worst crap about.

I mean, it's telling with a complete lack of Irony that A) There is a giant, real, organized Illuminati-style conspiracy in the form of the Patriarchy rather than it being unfortunate habits that get passed along B) It's run by literally Satan.

...that's not going to help your supposed goal mate, to try and tell that story without the slightest hint of humour.

To be fair, it's no worse than what Marvel's been doing lately.

That's not really a point in either's favour so much as a loss for both.

>lolrandumb

Mad. The word you're looking for is "mad." As in "insane." That's what most sparks - or inventors - seem to be in Foglio's gaslightspace. Not mad in the SAN check sense, but in the humourous WTF sense. Like personal mechanical turkeys for Thanksgiving Day travel.

Those two things are degrees of the same thing. And tolerance for that thing is subjective.

All you need is a setting book to flesh the world out; mechanically, Sparks are easy to write out in GURPS (see ).

>used to read CAD
I did too, but you know, I even read Least I Could Do for quite a long time. At some point I finally realized that I found most of their strips cringe worthy and not funny.

I was a teen back then and I was reading every webcomic that was presentable at the time. Shit, I even remember reading Suicide For Hire.

I read LICD 'cus I thought it might have boobies in it. The art style of the second artist gave me that impression. Once I realized it didn't, I dropped it.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty much why I dropped it too. I realized that I had absolutely no memory of the events that had happened or why the characters were there and just stopped reading one week when I forgot.

Also
>What is Sluggy Freelance?

(Ok this isn't as bad for this as GG but it's still pretty awful and I stopped reading it for pretty much the same reason, once the overarching narrative with HeretiCop became too convoluted)

Stopped reading right at the point where they got out of the castle battle but Tarvek is still my spark husbando.

I only like reading archives. The one I've been reading longest is something positive and I just check it once a year. It made me the messed up person I am today.

I used to read Girl Genius, Sexy Losers, El Goonish Shive, all that stuff as a young teen and they made me the person I am today, but... I don't know. Waiting all week for a few panels is too much for me.

I'm rereading S*P right now, though, because my life has been sucking lately.

I stopped when they got angsty over the orc priestess whatever's "father" dying, even though she revived the MC from a pile of ashes with eyes in the first ten pages. I fucking hate when my comedy webcomics turn into contrived drama. It happens every fucking time.

Fugly Foglio/10

She just can't understand why the true heir would work with the heterodynes

You're wrong. Madness is neither random nor idiocy, and while humour may be subjective, humourlessness and intolerance are objectively pitiable mental illnesses.

The writer is clearly not mad, but it can appear to the reader that his depiction of "madness" is random and idiotic.

GG has needed to be a movie since roughly half past FOREVER. Animated, live action; I don't even care anymore at this point.

Fucking Hollywood...

hey there agatha, hows my dad doing? he still drawing you alright?

ill tell you a secret user, but you have to keep it a secret.
the girl genius gurps is closer to existence now than it has ever been. its coming.

brevity is the source of wit, jackass. having that many words to explain a simple joke is really unlikely to be funny.

... why must you get my hopes up, herr Victor...

give our regards to your folks.

actually, if you're still there, can you do me a favor and explain to me why smug self-absorbed faux-literacy is a major personality point in nerds like you? it's a super popular attitude to have and I've never been clear to why you all tolerate one another breathing.

i do it because i care.

will do user

Man, it's such a shame. I actually love the /concept/ of Girl Genius, where being a mad scientist is something you're just born with and every spark has their own flavor. It's neat!

But damn, the pacing. The pacing is so, so bad, and they never actually accomplish everything. I finally dropped it when I spent months reading about the siege on the castle and we were completely denied any closure; that's just insulting to the audience and a waste of my time.

Those Jagermonsters were fucking awesome, though

Just because it's terrible doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. That sentiment doesn't apply to GG though.

Bloated comic that needs to have a satisfying end/10

This! Imagine having a PC party of sparks and all the shenanigans they would get into!

I understand Hollywood's standards are low, but I hope they haven't fallen far enough to touch GG of all things.

It would all be CG.
Perhaps it's for the best that Hollywood has overlooked Girl Genius.

Starring Peter Dinklage as Krosp, Emperor of All Cats.

Has there EVER been a webcomic adapted into a movie? Hell, has there ever been a webcomic adapted into ANYTHING? It's got an overstuffed plot and cast and it's taken forever to establish all the gazillion plot threads it already has. What about GG seems ripe for a movie adaptation in the first place? Is there even a single feature of this work that would translate well to film? I'm baffled by this opinion.

Martellus von Blitzengaard had real potential as a villain before they ruined him. Such waste potential.

(Con't)
Reading that again put me into Tweedleposting mood.
1/3

(Con't)
2/3

(Con't)
3/3

I'd forgotten how fucking annoying it was to read ALL ZE HEEVEE DIE-AH-LECT
GOTT FORBIT VEE FORGETT ZAT ZEES COMIC-RELEEF CHARAKTERS HAFF GERMAN ACCENTS

Misfile did a live action thing, but it was a low-budget thing done by the creator, so I don't think it really counts.

>Has there EVER been a webcomic adapted into a movie?
The webcomic Last Blood was optioned in 2008, has a director signed, and in 2012, acquired financing.
Of course, it was written as a movie and its creator envisioned the webcomic as form of storyboard for what, imo, is one of the most original takes on the zombies apocalypse.

A Girl Genius inspired movie good be great, probably wouldn't be even good, but there is potential.
But any similarity it would have to the webcomic's storyline would have to be slight at best, I'm talking "Super Mario Bros" movie level here.

Garbage Comic, Garbage artist.

i don't know if ill pass that one along to him.

>Goblins
>better than Girl Genius

Your lack of taste is stunning.

Bear in mind the source, depth, and quality of any criticism.

>Meaningless derogatory adjective post devoid of substance.

Forgot pic

Vast potential,
Shit pacing

This is what I mean about criticism:

>Garbage Comic, Garbage artist.
Four words, says nothing, merely insults.

>Vast potential,
>Shit pacing
Four words, compliments one aspect, cites area for improvement using tg vernacular.

i am aware of the pacing. it feels strange. i never noticed it until i found a discussion on the comic here.
when the comic update is that thing the parents are up to every other day, its just a fact of life, and my perception of the comics pacing syncs up with the authors.
interesting to think about.

I'm sad that Buck Godot is no longer available online. Like he was updating his site and that part broke and he never fixed it.

I've been following the comic for years, and really love the setting and characters. It just gets frustrating that it takes so long for them to accomplish anything, and as soon as they do, the accomplishment gets taken away from them.

>using criticism on Veeky Forums to prove anything
Both criticism and praise here are never better than this unless person invests into energy into it. But none even wants to use their time to shit on it and that's achievement

Amen to that

It is, you just have to go through their personal website instead of the GG site.

...apparently I'm one of the few people who pines for the days when Phil Foglio was regularly featured on Magic cards.

>Getting Veeky Forums to put forth minimal effort while being insulting is an achievement

Spoonfeed pls. I can't find it.

There are Four webcomics that I read.

Dr. McNinja which is coming to an end. It's not bad. It had been getting stale though. Lotta King Radical things going on.

Atomic Robo, feels a lot like an unashamed Hellboy knock-off, but whatever. Loved the first volume.

Spinnerette. Yup. Suffered through it. I've stomached Dominic Deegan until the end. This comic's low moments are nothing in comparison.

My Life With Fel. Guilty pleasure. Art has gotten better. Writing has strayed well away from blatant front and center meme-spam that you'd see in the early ones.

No, it comics got achievement for being so bad none wants to put any energy into argument in it's defense/criticism

I stand corrected - it must have been done in the past two weeks.

That sucks.