What system would you use for a Twin Peaks roleplaying game? How would you go about executing a Twin Peaks game?

What system would you use for a Twin Peaks roleplaying game? How would you go about executing a Twin Peaks game?

I'm thinking the players would be investigators - FBI agents, deputies, a sheriff maybe. The townspeople would be NPCs. This way you would get to know the eccentricities through the eyes of an outsider like in the show (of course, while being a little eccentric yourself).

World of Darkness would probably make a fine system. Or maybe Unknown Armies? I haven't played that one.

Unknown Armies, mos def.

>that coffee isn't black enough

Twin peaks fags should stick to /tv/ instead of hoping that there's anywhere where people won't make fun of their shit taste.

Twin Peaks is a really dumb game of Call of Cthulhu.

Look up "Small Towns" in the pdf sharing thread.

There's nothing quite like Twin Peaks in tabletop, so you will need a lot of homebrewing.

>Unknown armies is good but very crunchy, and it's more about all-out magic, being a blood mage or avatar of a dead god, buildings exploding and shit, than the more subdued style of Twin Peaks.
>Same goes for World of Darkness. To Blockbuster-y.
>Small Towns is a pretty great base for a Twin Peaks Homebrew.
>I would say Dogs in the Vineyard is the best base system, since the core of the game is about being an enforcer dealing with both supernatural and mundane shit AND the system plays very loose on setting, but that's probably because Dogs is my personal favorite system.
>Call of Ctulhu may be a great idea, but I don't feel their SAN mechanic would do very well.

> How would you go about executing a Twin Peaks game?
F, C, in, the coffee!

I don't think Twin Peaks demands much crunch, so something like a redressed WoD COULD work.

FATE is good for making 'investigative' stuff work as a character feature, and it also supplies character conflict and mysteries practically by itself. I personally consider it rather flat, but it might be what you're looking for.

The Apocalypse World engine could also work. There's a tweak called Monster of the Week intended for X-Files sorts of stories, but could easily be used for something like this. It's built for long-term gameplay, so if you're planning on a serial this would work as well.

Just how "Twin Peaks" do you intend to go with this? Depending on what sort of conflicts you expect, other RPGs may have something to offer.

Fear Itself/The Esoterrorists are both explicitly built for it.

>Unknown armies is good but very crunchy, and it's more about all-out magic, being a blood mage or avatar of a dead god, buildings exploding and shit, than the more subdued style of Twin Peaks.

That's not entirely true. The new 3rd Edition brings that stuff more to the forefront, but UA2 had things split into discrete tiers, with the Streets Level play being very much in the wheelhouse of Twin Peaks: you basically play a normal dude with little to know awareness of the seedy mystical underbelly of the world, and whatever your investigatory business is leads you to become acquainted with its fringes.

That's totally Twin Peaks. The characters in Twin Peaks are all unconsciously orbiting a vast cosmology embracing all humanity and the struggle between good and evil, but because they lack real insight (which would probably drive them mad or kill them, like what happened to Leland Palmer) they mostly focus on their own, much smaller worlds. UA is pretty much perfect for that.

Moreover, the mechanics in UA3 are really good because, on the non-magical side, they focus on how a person's experience with trauma affects them. The more violence you become exposed to, the more hardened you are to it, which makes you a better fighter, if only through sheer desensitization, and in the process your ability to connect with other people weakens. Having your self-perception challenged makes it easier for you to lie but weakens other aspects of your psyche. It's wonderful and would play marvelously with Twin Peaks.

Over the Edge comes to mind

>but that's probably because Dogs is my personal favorite system

You and I. We could be friends.

Oh crap I never even thought about using Dogs in the Vineyard. Yeah that would be fantastic.

All you've told me is that you browse /tv/ and live in some fictional world where Twin Peaks is widely reviled

World of Darkness, definitely. Maybe a VASCU-affiliated Hunter, as Cooper explicitly was hunting a supernatural murderer and seemed to have a lot of receptiveness to the unnatural?

WoD is all horror and suspense sure but that's just tone. when you have a freaky dream that warns you about fucked up shit and then you wake up to talk about getting fresh mountain air, you're just doing you in a fun way. the system still supports the things portrayed in the show.

All you've said so far is that you've got a ridiculous sense of what shows would make for good roleplaying games alongside your awful taste and desire to discuss an aged and idiotic show that is best left buried and forgotten.

you can be a touchy defensive shit or you can have objectively subpar and self-fellating opinions but when the stars align and you have both, you're wasting post space, my guy

I am not OP. You're stupid and have poor emotional control

>coffee drip

YOINK!

>objectively subpar and self-fellating

That's essentially the three second explanation of Twin Peaks.

>I don't like thing

>wah, the show I need to shitpost on other boards because /tv/ laughs at me is getting shit on wahhhh

Only if you pay no mind to the actual meaning of the phrase in order to come up with a comeback that falls apart at any sort of analysis

Over the Edge.

Nobody wants to see you throwing a temper tantrum over nothing in the internet. Go back to /tv/ if you must keep polluting the site

>I like shitty /tv/

Then please, go to /tv/

WoD mortals core only. God Machine update's Integrity instead of Morality. Incorporate Hunter's "Code" that let's you redefine trigger points at the cost of taking negatives to social interaction.

How about Fiasco? Seems like a good choice to me. Might need some custom tables though. Not hard to make though, you can do it I'm an afternoon.

sounds like you should go to /tv/ buddy. since you wanna have a /tv/ conversation so badly that you can't just leave this thread

Fiasco would be great, but you'd want your own tables. Yeah.

Low-power WoD or Dread.

No love for Trail of Cthulhu/Gumshoe?

This, they can also be taught in about 20 minutes.

Let's get dangerous and suggest Paranoia. There's already statistics in place for how much central authority distrusts your continued presence, investigating problems behind everyone's backs, and incentive to roleplay severe personality quirks to the point that it'd be reasonable to expect a party member talking to a log for a second opinion.

Granted, everyone's also encouraged to violently undermine each other, but hell, what investigation into small town shenanigans would be complete without locals and outsiders alike drawing blood to protect their secrets?

Savage Worlds. It beats out oWoD for Twin Peaks just for the Guts and Grit system.

I did a Twin Peaks influenced one off once. basically I did what is suggesting. It was interesting because the three regular gamers had never watched Twin Peaks, and the other two had never played any RPG before and one of them was an actual police officer. All but one of the characters were from out of town. The one PC who was local played the Town Sheriff and very quickly started going against the rest of the party and made decisions which could have sabotaged the investigation. It was one of the most fun games I ever did

I used nWoD

>using the Guts rules
>wasting skill points so your character won't shit himself when confronted with spoopy
kek, there's a reason they dumped that in the corebook

Don't Rest Your Head except remove the sleep element. The whole thing feels like a weird-ass fucking dream anyway.

Someone upthread mentioned Esoterrorists and Fear Itself.

Gumshoe is pretty goddamn fantastic for playing investigative games that actually feel like investigations.